Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 4874 times)

Offline Sixx93

Hi!
« on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 15:45:23 »
Hello there, I've been in love with keyboards for many many years now but I started collecting old gems just recently.
I'm so glad to be here so I can learn more about the geeky side ;)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 15:46:53 »
Welcome doomed mortal. I appreciate a good vintage board myself. Have you been over to deskthority?

Edit: I'd be interested in seeing some of those 'old gems'

Offline Sixx93

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 16:11:23 »
Welcome doomed mortal. I appreciate a good vintage board myself. Have you been over to deskthority?

Edit: I'd be interested in seeing some of those 'old gems'

Thanks!
I just use deskthority as a wiki, but I plan to interact more with the community.

What I've got so far is nothing super fancy... It's not that easy here to search for this kind of stuff (eg second hand stores and such) without using ebay:
- an 89 Model M (https://imgur.com/nEkELtu https://imgur.com/dqwXnq2)
- a Philips P2812-043 with white space invaders (https://imgur.com/IGZ4P1V https://imgur.com/72tmLpi)

I now need to understand what I have to do to test the Philips since I found it without a cable and I have no clue how to convert the RJ45 since from what I understand, the protocol can change from model to model (between brands).
I guess I'll write a post tomorow to ask for resources (or an already built solution)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 20:31:35 »
Noice. Classic and pretty. I have yet to own or even try any space invaders.

Yeah, that conversion is above my paygrade but plenty of folks here and certainly many over at DT will be able to help.

Offline Sixx93

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 October 2022, 11:34:21 »
Noice. Classic and pretty. I have yet to own or even try any space invaders.

Yeah, that conversion is above my paygrade but plenty of folks here and certainly many over at DT will be able to help.

I had never tried any space invaders before those, but I really like these. Pretty stiff (very similar to my Box Navy, ~90g) but also smooth.
I am a bit afraid because the mechanism is completely open, therefore dust can easily get in, we'll see

Offline TerraKeycaps

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 October 2022, 13:55:26 »
Nice to meet you. I'm new to the geekhack community and it's a pleasure to be here.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 17:09:43 »

I just use deskthority as a wiki, but I plan to interact more with the community.

Living in Italy and appreciating old gear could mean that DT is the better match for you, but there are many people who frequent both forums.

NMB Hi-Tek "Space Invaders" are particularly nice in feel but very fussy to work with. For one thing, there is no strain relief for the mounting pins if you decide to un-solder them. But they are very stable with almost no wobble.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline seretonin4

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 November 2022, 11:34:20 »
Greetings. I am a new member to the forum. As the New Member section has got so many thread so I was not sure where to ask about the problem  I face while having my first encounter with geekhack. I tried logging in so many times but it said my username of password was invalid. I gave it a rest and tried again and it worked. To double check, I logged out and tried signing in, and the same happened. Can anyone please tell me what is wrong with my account, provided I just have created it.

Offline Henryno

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 November 2022, 02:00:58 »
welcome aboard!

Offline epicdesk.shop

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 December 2022, 23:04:00 »
Welcome Sixx!