Author Topic: I Made Some Wood Cases  (Read 14480 times)

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
I Made Some Wood Cases
« on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 17:49:31 »
See here for latest pictures.

I made a case for my 60% boards. Currently I've got a Poker II in there since I didn't want anything fancy in the woodshop. This thing is HEAVY. Way heavier than any aluminum case I've used. My first try was with tiger wood, but I made a mistake and the router got away from me for a second. Needless to say, that didn't end up being all that successful. Try two worked out much better. This time I used zebra wood. It was finished by sanding using successive grits up to 400, then burnished with 0000 steel wool. After that I applied 4 coats of poly/oil and then 2 coats of oil/wax.

Overall, I really like how it came out.

View from the top:

Side View:

Close Up:

Glamour:

« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:19:11 by inanis »
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Hypersphere

Re: I Made a Zebrawood 60% Case
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 17:54:16 »
Nice! I have a zebrawood footstand for playing classical guitar, but usually I use the ugly metal one. It seems wrong to put my foot on the beautiful zebrawood.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 18:00:28 »
That's a great looking case, how does the back look? 

Not sure I'd have taken my SpaceBear to the workshop though :eek:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 18:08:27 »
Love the look. The oil really brought out the grain.

What wall width did you use 3/8"?

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 18:15:14 »

SpaceBear only went on once it was at home! I needed a PCB in order to get the measurements right, so the Poker stayed in the shop so I could check my work. The back is unfinished, so I didn't post up a pic, but, this is the DIP switch hole:

I need to take it back to the shop to sand and finish the bottom.

Nice! I have a zebrawood footstand for playing classical guitar, but usually I use the ugly metal one. It seems wrong to put my foot on the beautiful zebrawood.

I love the zebrawood. It has so much character. The nice thing is that it is super durable, so it should hold up to some foot work, but I'd do the same!

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 18:17:02 »
Love the look. The oil really brought out the grain.

What wall width did you use 3/8"?

Correct! 3/8" all the way around. Originally I was going to have either the front or back lip be a little bit bigger to try and show off more of the grain, but in the end it looked better being uniform. The oil is amazing...it is not the first thing I've used it on, but the first time I did, I could really tell a difference between it and other finishes I've tried. The feel is really nice.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 18:24:44 »

SpaceBear only went on once it was at home! I needed a PCB in order to get the measurements right, so the Poker stayed in the shop so I could check my work. The back is unfinished, so I didn't post up a pic, but, this is the DIP switch hole:
Show Image

I need to take it back to the shop to sand and finish the bottom.

Haha, glad to hear it!  That hole looks perfectly positioned, that back has lots of grain so should look as good as the front when you're done - I'll be checking for updates :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Durvid

• Thunk thunk thunk..
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 18:27:30 »
Looks awesome. I love seeing more stuff made out of wood, and I could see these selling quick!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 18:50:34 »
Nice work! Glad you are putting it out there.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 18:59:36 »
Nice work! Glad you are putting it out there.

Thank you! It is a bit nerve racking.  :-X

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:06:34 »
Gorgeous!  I think wood is such a great material for this. Warm, absorbs vibrations, solid, beautiful, interesting. You did a great job with it too!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:29:05 »
Beautiful work.  Love the view from the front. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:48:41 »
Thanks for all the kind words guys! This was my first foray into making cases, so I was both excited and nervous to put it out there. You all are a supportive bunch though. :) Now that I've got my first one (mostly) done and a jig successfully made, I'm hoping that I can do even more interesting stuff going forward. 

Offline neverused

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:57:40 »
Any chance of seeing the inside? Looks great btw!

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 20:18:37 »

Only if you promise not to judge the cut out for the USB to harshly. I didn't get the measurement right the first time and got a bit...frustrated. I have now learned how to do it properly. Not my finest moment.  :-[

More

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 20:24:50 »

Only if you promise not to judge the cut out for the USB to harshly. I didn't get the measurement right the first time and got a bit...frustrated. I have now learned how to do it properly. Not my finest moment.  :-[

More
Show Image

Beautiful grain!  And I think your cutting/routing looks good too. Definitely nothing to be ashamed about.
I'm back.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 20:42:27 »

More
Show Image

Beautiful grain!  And I think your cutting/routing looks good too. Definitely nothing to be ashamed about.

I agree.  The usb cutout is nothing a few minutes with a burr tip on a dremel can't clean up (if you even want to).  I did the usb cutouts for my jd40 cases with a rotozip blade in my dremel by hand - not perfectly symmetrical things, but close enough. 
You can see a couple of them here:

one option you may want to look into is these knurled risers (not necessarily the correct length you might want, but just to get the idea):
M2 Brass standoff knurled.

You could easliy press fit this into the wood once you have the holes marked and then you just use standard M2 hardware.  That way you don't have to worry about any part of the pcb touching the wood and you don't have to countersink the usb port. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 20:55:07 »

More
Show Image

I agree.  The usb cutout is nothing a few minutes with a burr tip on a dremel can't clean up (if you even want to).  I did the usb cutouts for my jd40 cases with a rotozip blade in my dremel by hand - not perfectly symmetrical things, but close enough. 
You can see a couple of them here:
Show Image

one option you may want to look into is these knurled risers (not necessarily the correct length you might want, but just to get the idea):
M2 Brass standoff knurled.

You could easliy press fit this into the wood once you have the holes marked and then you just use standard M2 hardware.  That way you don't have to worry about any part of the pcb touching the wood and you don't have to countersink the usb port.

Thanks for the tips! I actually have some of those risers ordered already. Well, they are probably not the same exact ones, but you know what I'm saying. My plan was to do exactly as you described, though I didn't really think about not having to countersink the usb port, which is a fantastic point. I was thinking it would provide finished appearance on the inside. Now I'm even more excited about them. :)

The worst part is that it was so clean before I hacked at it.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 21:41:09 »
This is so cool! You are a total badass Inanis! I was looking at your inlay wrist wrests too earlier. Woodworking fascinates me!

I've seen a couple wooden cases and they rarely look finished enough to appeal to me, but this is great! The blue/white/brown looks really nice together as a unit.  :thumb:
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 21:53:30 »
Very nice work! I'm really interested in building a wooden case after seeing some really nice ones on GH, including this one. And I love how you burnished it before the finish coats.

And nice Noppoo caps, BTW.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 21:55:48 »

More
Show Image

No need to get down on yourself. The beauty of wood is you can clean that up lickity split.  A chisel will straighten those lines, and depending on the cut depth of your router, you may even be able to fasten a jig.

The case is a beaut!

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 22:18:49 »
This is so cool! You are a total badass Inanis! I was looking at your inlay wrist wrests too earlier. Woodworking fascinates me!

I've seen a couple wooden cases and they rarely look finished enough to appeal to me, but this is great! The blue/white/brown looks really nice together as a unit.  :thumb:

You are too kind, Boop. Once the whole case has a the finishing touches applied I'm hoping it will look very clean and polished. I was excited at my first successful try. Those caps do look good with the Binge set. I was dying to find a good home for the SpaceBear. It deserves a place of honor! I'm willing to be a Monkey would look pretty good on there too.  ;)

Very nice work! I'm really interested in building a wooden case after seeing some really nice ones on GH, including this one. And I love how you burnished it before the finish coats.

And nice Noppoo caps, BTW.

In the past I've used the standard polyurethane type of finishes. I did a lot of research for some non-keyboard related stuff I have been making and found that this combination leaves the wood looking really alive. It is kind of a matte finish and it looks super natural.

I tell you what, those Noppoo caps are some of the most versatile caps I have. They look great on everything! That board was a great purchase for the caps alone.

More
Show Image

No need to get down on yourself. The beauty of wood is you can clean that up lickity split.  A chisel will straighten those lines, and depending on the cut depth of your router, you may even be able to fasten a jig.

The case is a beaut!

I'll hopefully be cleaning all that up tomorrow. I didn't expect anyone to ask to see the inside! I should be able to use my router to clean it up, going forward I need to make a slight adjustment to my jig to get the cutout right, or as Badwrench suggested, use the risers.

Thank you for the kind words!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 01:43:28 »
Your case came out so clean.  I would love to see wood case options pop up for popular custom pcbs.  Again the execution is beautiful, the results are hard to deny, and I want to see more.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 02:24:41 »
Awesome work. Routers scare me!

Really want to do a wood case but I just don't have the right tools available to me at the moment. Been thinking about getting a small scroll saw so that I can do a case out of 1/8" wood layers, just thinking about the best way to tackle it at the moment.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 02:46:21 »
Looks really great! Makes me wish I had access to a good router... and the knowledge how to use it :) Oh and that wood grain is just awesome!

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 03:45:44 »
How much does it weigh? Really cool case. What is it hard to do? Do you have particular wood working skill? I mean do you work in a fabric or something alike?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 06:14:46 »
I've been wanting to get into woodworking for a while, is there a tutorial somewhere? Not necessarily "how to make a case for this specific keyboard", but for making things like rectangular cavities without CNC routers and stuff like that?

Offline 3K

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 07:36:10 »
I made a case for my 60% boards. Currently I've got a Poker II in there since I didn't want anything fancy in the woodshop. This thing is HEAVY. Way heavier than any aluminum case I've used. My first try was with tiger wood, but I made a mistake and the router got away from me for a second. Needless to say, that didn't end up being all that successful. Try two worked out much better. This time I used zebra wood. It was finished by sanding using successive grits up to 400, then burnished with 0000 steel wool. After that I applied 4 coats of poly/oil and then 2 coats of oil/wax.

Overall, I really like how it came out.

View from the top:
Show Image

Side View:
Show Image

Close Up:
Show Image

Glamour:
Show Image

Looks really good! Respect. Could we see the case on it's own? Is it a single piece of wood?

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 07:44:26 »
Now this is a smexy case.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 08:27:10 »

I've been wanting to get into woodworking for a while, is there a tutorial somewhere? Not necessarily "how to make a case for this specific keyboard", but for making things like rectangular cavities without CNC routers and stuff like that?

There are a number of websites that have tutorials in a number of different woodworking skills. (Maybe we should start a woodworking resources thread?)

If you're just getting into woodworking though I wouldn't necessarily start at routers. There are a number of basics that you'll want to build on. I personally spent most of my childhood behind a table saw and routing table with my father building all manner of furniture. I'd definitely suggest starting by building some small projects for around the house, or fun projects you can see at woodgears.

If you have a local hackerspace a number of them have  well equipped shops if you don't have a garage or several thousand to spend to bootstrap your own shop.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 08:28:50 »
I think woodgears is just about what I need. Thanks :)

I live in an area where people just have tools. If I don't have it, people within a shouting radius will lend it to me.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 08:40:24 »

I think woodgears is just about what I need. Thanks :)

I live in an area where people just have tools. If I don't have it, people within a shouting radius will lend it to me.

Woodgears is great. His instructions are first rate, and the guy's a certified mad genius. He builds his own bandsaws and races cnc's... :))

Another good resource are actually books and magazines. They're usually on a specific project (like cabinets or tables) but they'll walk through all the joinery and cutting techniques you'll need to do certain projects.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 09:09:25 »
Your case came out so clean.  I would love to see wood case options pop up for popular custom pcbs.  Again the execution is beautiful, the results are hard to deny, and I want to see more.

Thank you! That is something I want to do - build out cases for custom PCBs or even standard PCBs that don't see a lot of case options. I have all kinds of ideas on how to execute different styles. It is a lot of trial and error on what works best. I've also done some wrist rests:
More

And some experiments with glow in the dark inlays:
More

Awesome work. Routers scare me!

Really want to do a wood case but I just don't have the right tools available to me at the moment. Been thinking about getting a small scroll saw so that I can do a case out of 1/8" wood layers, just thinking about the best way to tackle it at the moment.

Scroll Saws scare me! I have one, but I find it to be really hard to work with. It is not a particularly good one and changing out the blades I find abnormally frustrating. I am very interested in the idea of layered case as well. Perhaps even with mixed materials. So many options! If you have to really make sure the wood is is smooth and even before layering it together. A planer is good for this. My planer and joiner are my two favorite things right now. :)

Looks really good! Respect. Could we see the case on it's own? Is it a single piece of wood?

This is the case with no PCB in it. As mentioned earlier though, don't judge the USB cutout too harshly, it was a moment of weakness.  :)) And yes, it is one solid hunk of wood.

More

Now this is a smexy case.

Thank you!

Looks really great! Makes me wish I had access to a good router... and the knowledge how to use it :) Oh and that wood grain is just awesome!

Thank you!

How much does it weigh? Really cool case. What is it hard to do? Do you have particular wood working skill? I mean do you work in a fabric or something alike?

I need to weight it, and I don't have a scale here, but it is substantial. Easily double the weight of my aluminum case.  I work in IT!  :)) My woodworking skills are kind of akin to my Photoshop skills...I just picked it up and started doing it. I've been working with wood for a while, and every new project teaches me something new. I do have help, when I run into issues, or if I'm trying something I haven't done before I have someone here who I can bounce ideas off of. Then I'll know if I have a chance at success or I'm just dreaming.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: I Made a Zebrawood 60% Case - New Pictures and Items Posted!
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 14:37:14 »
I went back and made a second case. The one is leopardwood, in a beveled case, with a bit more of a front lip. Here is the end result:

Picture of the angle:

I am still waiting on the risers to press fit into the mounting holes, but other than that it is done.

In addition, I also made a 40% purpleheart wrist rest with maple inlay:

and a 60% wrist rest made out of zebrawood as the primary wood, with purpleheart border in inlay. The purpleheart is lined with maple veneer:

I have more pictures and different items in the full album. I would love people's feedback.

Thanks!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 14:43:09 »
I was hoping this would be black and white.  Darn.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 14:45:44 »

Zebrawood is a type of wood, it got the name from the striping pattern it has. I don't think there is a type of wood that is either all white or all black naturally!  :confused: But that would be pretty neat!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:09:06 »
If I ever get back to MX, I know where my case is coming from.

My fav rest is the Peruvian with "Infinity".
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline 3K

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:12:20 »
I went back and made a second case. The one is leopardwood, in a beveled case, with a bit more of a front lip. Here is the end result:

Show Image

Picture of the angle:

Show Image

I am still waiting on the risers to press fit into the mounting holes, but other than that it is done.

In addition, I also made a 40% purpleheart wrist rest with maple inlay:

Show Image

and a 60% wrist rest made out of zebrawood as the primary wood, with purpleheart border in inlay. The purpleheart is lined with maple veneer:

Show Image

I have more pictures and different items in the full album. I would love people's feedback.

Thanks!

I tried making a wood case too, and I can say your case looks like perfection! All my wants...

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:16:10 »
If I ever get back to MX, I know where my case is coming from.

My fav rest is the Peruvian with "Infinity".

Once you go full Topre, do you ever go back??

That Peruvian one was in the raffle, but didn't fit anyone's board, so I still have it. I love it like a baby because it was one of the first rests with an inlay that I did. I get all sentimental.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:22:28 »

I tried making a wood case too, and I can say your case looks like perfection! All my wants...

Thank you!

I'm hoping to sell them one day soon. But one thing I certainly didn't want to do was stand up a store and say "buy my stuff!". I wanted to get some feedback and make sure I was doing something that was different enough, and well enough executed to warrant it. The feedback I've gotten in this thread has already greatly helped me. There are people here with some amazing skill sets and I take their opinions very seriously. What I really want to do is have a place where people can not just buy something, but really be part of the design process so that they can have a one of a kind piece that fits their use case exactly. Lofty goal, I know, but I've been doing similar, non keyboard related wood working things for a while now, so I do understand what that entails.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:29:18 by inanis »

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:34:17 »

Show Image

Picture of the angle:

Show Image

Thanks!

It's a really good thing you waited until this afternoon to post this, because I've been resisting the urge to take a half day and get into the shop, and if I had seen this in the morning I would have been gone!

Love the new case. And you're killing my (work) productivity.  :))

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 01:15:42 »
Oh my... this is just.. what a BEAUTY!! :D

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 08:09:03 »
I really love the inlay you do. That inlaid wrist rest you did for the Destiny giveaway looked amazing. I might have to jump on one of these when you start selling them...gotta build up some cash first though
I'm back.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 10:32:36 »
I really love the inlay you do. That inlaid wrist rest you did for the Destiny giveaway looked amazing. I might have to jump on one of these when you start selling them...gotta build up some cash first though

Thanks! That would be this one:

I'm still working on getting the store ready, so you've got time. :) I appreciate the interest!

Oh my... this is just.. what a BEAUTY!! :D

Thank you so much for the kind words. When putting out a creative work, feedback of any kind is appreciated. And of course, positive feedback is always a good thing. :)

It's a really good thing you waited until this afternoon to post this, because I've been resisting the urge to take a half day and get into the shop, and if I had seen this in the morning I would have been gone!

Love the new case. And you're killing my (work) productivity.  :))

I'm glad you liked it. That is the spirit of Making Stuff Together, right! We are all meant to inspire each other and create together. I know that is how it works for me, anyway.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone! Good, bad or otherwise it is all appreciated.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 10:38:51 »
That last one almost gave me an erection... Its's like... almost porn. It's an underwear catalog or something :)

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 10:47:53 »
That last one almost gave me an erection... Its's like... almost porn. It's an underwear catalog or something :)

Oh ****! This made me literally laugh out loud. Thank you so much! That is my new goal, woodworking porn.  :))

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:18:12 »
I made a few more cases. I don't think I've ever seen any designs like this...I'm trying to be unique.

Maple with walnut inlay, trimmed in purpleheart:

Maple, with purpleheart and lacewood trim. The middle is cutout, and it is joined with steel rods. there is plenty of room in between the PCB and the rods as to not cause interference.

I love to hear some feedback. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:19:55 by inanis »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: I Made Some Wood Cases
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:21:30 »
Hmm.. Wondering how SA Retro would look on one of these.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:24:50 »

Zebrawood is a type of wood, it got the name from the striping pattern it has. I don't think there is a type of wood that is either all white or all black naturally!  :confused: But that would be pretty neat!

Looks like I'll have to start experimenting with ebony and some very pale maple.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: I Made Some Wood Cases
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:25:42 »
Hmm.. Wondering how SA Retro would look on one of these.
I am waiting on my Hack'd by Geeks SA set to come in still. I think SA in general will look pretty nice on it, but the dark brown/red/orange tones in both Retro and Hack'd will probably go well. I hope anyway! I am anxious to get it in the mail so I can give it a test.