Author Topic: From scissor switches to mechanical? Interesting but I'm struggling a bit  (Read 1115 times)

Offline ssk

I appreciate a nice keyboard so decided to give the mechanical thing a try. Got a CM Quickfire Rapid TKL with Cherry MX Blues delivered today. There is something fun about it, but I'm struggling with it a bit. I generally hit the high 60's as my normal every day typing speed using either Lenovo laptop or Logitech K750 (laptop-like low profile scissor switches). With this thing I'm struggling to hit high 50's and feel like my hands are having to move a LOT more, and work a lot more. The throw on these keys is giant compared to what I'm used to. I find my fingers bumping into the sides of the other keys. Overall it's kind of fun and novel, but I'm not really feeling it... yet. I'm torn between messing with O rings to try and dampen it a bit and reduce the travel - or just returning it. If it ain't broke... Anybody else have this experience? Any advice?
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2015, 23:58:23 by ssk »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: From scosor switch to mechanical? Interesting but I'm struggling a bit
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 03:44:45 »
Well mechanical switches have a lot more travel by design so you do have to press them further than a scissor switch - your fingers feel like they're moving more because they are!  The caps have spaces between them unlike scissors so I'm surprised you have a bumping issue, like anything you'll get used to it :)

I'd give it at least a week to decide if you like it then if you want to call it broken instead of returning it you could Jailhouse mod your blues - this reduces the travel needed to register a press (unlike o-rings which you still have to press just as far until the click happens, then the travel reduction kicks in) and kills the click leaving a little tactile bump, but you still benefit from the nice cushioned keystroke rather than repeatedly banging your fingers on a solid board.  I expect this the mod will mean desoldering all the switches and bye-bye warranty, but if you find yourself liking the springiness and non-flat keycaps it would be worth it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: From scissor switches to mechanical? Interesting but I'm struggling a bit
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 06:03:01 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Another alternative is to replace the keycaps.  Yes, already :p

The standard QFR (I have a QFR and a QFS) keycaps are OEM profile i.e. quite tall.  They also have meh legends.

If you can find a set of Cherry profile keycaps, that's about as good as it gets, according to many.

Or if you prefer a lower uniform profile (like a flat typing surface) you might seek out a set of DSA keycaps.

Different sets of keycaps won't alter the travel distance or distance to actuate, but they can make a huge difference to the feel of a keyboard!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ