geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Gaming on a split keyboard?

(1/4) > >>

TheWonderBubble:
Fairly new to keyboards and such, but I spend a lot of time behind one so I was looking to build a Sofle for home use. I was curious if anyone games on their split keyboard setup, especially if it's tented, and if/how it changes anything. I could see some games being a bit troublesome having half the number row gone to the other side, or some MOBA stuff just needing more keys. Do y'all usually remap in game, use layers, or just have a second "normal" keyboard for gaming use?

vvp:
I play FPS games on a split keyboard (K84CS) with 20° tenting angle.
I remap keys in game. No need for a traditional keyboard. I would use layers if I could not remap all the needed keys to one half. The keys which start a chat are on the other half but it does not matter since one types with both hands in a chat.

hyphonetics:
I've been daily driving a Redox for a few months now, I remapped a couple keys (put Space under my left hand thumb cluster and a few others on alternate layers) and it's been fine for most games. Sometimes I'll have to remap keys ingame to make my life a little easier but overall it's been a great experience

TheWonderBubble:

--- Quote from: vvp on Mon, 07 June 2021, 14:19:21 ---I play FPS games on a split keyboard (K84CS) with 20° tenting angle.
I remap keys in game. No need for a traditional keyboard. I would use layers if I could not remap all the needed keys to one half. The keys which start a chat are on the other half but it does not matter since one types with both hands in a chat.

--- End quote ---

Extra good to know about the tenting, I'm looking at a 3d printed case that'd get me 20 or 30deg of tenting and I wasn't sure if that'd effect things either.

TheWonderBubble:

--- Quote from: hyphonetics on Mon, 07 June 2021, 16:00:51 ---I've been daily driving a Redox for a few months now, I remapped a couple keys (put Space under my left hand thumb cluster and a few others on alternate layers) and it's been fine for most games. Sometimes I'll have to remap keys ingame to make my life a little easier but overall it's been a great experience

--- End quote ---

Does the column staggering cause any issues or just a bit more adjustment?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version