geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Acrylic Keyboard Roofs (PROTOTYPE PICTURES UPLOADED!!)

(1/14) > >>

balanar:
[UPDATE: SEE PICTURES OF PROTOTYPE HERE]

Hi all, a short introduction before I get to the crux of this post:

My name is Bala aka Balanar and I discovered these forums earlier this year (8th January to be exact). To put it succinctly, I started hunting clickclacks, keycaps and keyboards then and I have not looked back.

I have observed several individuals who have tried to give back to the community along with providing new and interesting items for all of us. I've wanted to be one of these people and now I think I have the chance. I have access to acrylic and laser cutting which straight away gave me 2 ideas: and acrylic keyboard case and a nice keyboard roof.

Now, there has been so much controversy about acrylic keyboard cases that I'm going to stay out of that 'niche' for now but there hasn't been a decent keyboard roof (as far as I know) other than those from EliteKeyboards. I feel that we as keyboard connoisseurs appreciate that extra special touch in everything we do. I have worked on a basic model of the keyboard roofs and the most important thing I want to stress is that we have creative freedom over the outcome of these roofs as long we accept that certain additions/changes will cost more. I want to know what possible ideas you have and want to have done to these so that they are each unique.

The one difference I can already offer over other such roofs is that I can engrave anything you want, either words or an image that is 1" tall and not more than 20 characters wide onto your roof without any increase to the cost. I will put up a picture with an example of this soon.

Another aspect that brings up the quality on these is the fact that all edges will be Diamond Polished. While this might seem like a small issue, I have seen the difference first hand the difference is staggering compared to the original finish after laser cutting or even traditional buffing. Some pictures for comparison:

Some renderings as a point of reference for what I have in mind:

Of course other forms of engraving or even cut outs in the roof can be explored but these might add additional costs.

I will be looking to offer these for the 87 keys (TKL) size keyboards. Full sized, Topre and Poker sized ones might follow depending on the response. Price is still being negotiated at the moment and it is all about the quantity we can get going.

Most importantly however, I would love to hear how much you think you would pay for such an item and what ideas you might have for the keyboard roofs. Post your budget and ideas so I can collate them and see what I can do!

I need a minimum order quantity of at least 20 to make this viable.

Man I'm a noob at interest checks:

PLEASE POST THE TYPE OF KEYBOARD YOU WOULD LIKE A ROOF FOR, HOW MANY YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PURCHASING AND THE ROUGH PRICE YOU ARE LOOKING TO PAY FOR THE ITEM WITH SHIPPING COSTS INCLUDED.

balanar:
Reserved.

longweight:
Awesome! I would be in for a TKL Filco case and a couple of HHKB ones please! Can the roof not sit on the board like the EK ones?

balanar:

--- Quote from: longweight on Sat, 22 September 2012, 04:06:07 ---Awesome! I would be in for a TKL Filco case and a couple of HHKB ones please! Can the roof not sit on the board like the EK ones?

--- End quote ---

Nice! I could definitely make it but the cost would be unnecessarily higher since I don't have the proper equipment to make the bends with so little material at the front and back. I suspect a fair number of attempts would fail due to warping or cracks. The alternative would be to have 5 rectangular pieces of acrylic and glue them together but that would be ugly imo.

longweight:
Ah ok, shipping might be hard if it is the current shape as you will need a quite a big box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version