Author Topic: [IC] QWERkeys 86-key set? RGB mod set? -- DISCUSSION MODE  (Read 52819 times)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
[IC] QWERkeys 86-key set? RGB mod set? -- DISCUSSION MODE
« on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 18:17:38 »
update: sleabo has mentioned that 50 MOQ might be enough to go ahead with this buy since he can probably sell the leftovers. more pre-orders are better!!
in addition QWERkeys will be adding charcoal/dark grey to their color lineup!

Hey bros and babes
Been thinking about how cool a full set of QWERkeys would be so I contacted them and got a quote.
Prices are about 75GBP (give or take, i forget exactly right now), at MOQ of 50 sets. that includes everything execpt the spacebar, for which there is an MOQ of 500... so unless we get a ridiculous number of orders I think we might need someone with an SP color ring to approximate the closest color for spacebars :(

Colorwise, I was thinking yellow on dark grey, but we can discuss that if there is significant interest. I may not be the one to run the group buy but I figure enough people have been talking about it for a while that we should see what the interest is like.

CURRENT IDEAS
Full set, colors up for discussion. Dark keys seem to be pretty popular. This will end up costing about 120-130 USD.
RGB set - The most economical option at this time. Everybody loves RGB!
Complete modifier set - Perhaps the best compromise and the easiest way to get all of the molds produced for future GBs.

PROFILE: I wanna do J profile, cherry compatible. Perhaps we could throw in an extra Esc key in the tripleshot option?
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 September 2012, 14:12:54 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: [IC] QWERkeys 86-key set
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 18:26:42 »
This is going to be a hard sell, but it is a pretty sweet set :(

Color me semi-interested
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 18:33:42 »
i know, but LOOK at these. LOOK!

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline pasph

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 18:35:13 »
Interested in 1 or + set of modifiers
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 18:35:38 »
a whole set or just modifiers?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 18:36:53 »
Do orange on charcoal!

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 18:38:14 »
QWER keys has some awesome colors too, I'd factor that into the IC somehow... I ordered some random blanks just to see how they were and the colors were so cool I still use them for F1-F12
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 18:38:23 »
Do orange on charcoal!
I knew that was going to come up :)) We'll see... yellow is so much nicer than orange though :D

Offline pasph

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:00:08 »
a whole set or just modifiers?
Are the modifiers that have that MOQ for the combination size-base color.
You can buy a 51 set of caps like that in the picture without any MOQ (i have same samples like green on gray).
So from my point of view it's better buy 3 modifiers set than an 86 set.
Or i'm interested in a set like this function row
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:02:13 »
Would they all have to have the same legend style and/or color scheme? Or can we do anything we like and we're just trying to rustle up numbers so that they'd have a reason to get mods?
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
[IC] QWERkeys 86-key set
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:11:18 »
they can do modifiers now?
Keyboardless

Offline pasph

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:12:33 »
Well they made for me this set (don't ask please):
65 keys J Series engraved and infilled: 22 Sky blue with black legends + 22 Sky blue with blue legends + 9 Sky blue with red legends + 8 Blue with red legends + 4 Blue with yellow legends

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:13:13 »
pretty sure it would be one set otherwise they'd have to re-set up the molds and everything which would be a huge time sink.

pasph - you get way keys with the set for the same price as what they're selling the 51/whatever set for. this group buy is for stuff they don't currently make, partly to encourage them to keep making cool stuff, partly because their work looks amazing and partly because we REALLY need a better supplier than SP.

oneproduct/pasph... don't mean to sound rude but group buys need to be cohesive or they just won't work.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:14:26 »
Well they made for me this set (don't ask please):
65 keys J Series engraved and infilled: 22 Sky blue with black legends + 22 Sky blue with blue legends + 9 Sky blue with red legends + 8 Blue with red legends + 4 Blue with yellow legends
so are any of those keys larger than 1x? that's really the impetus for doing a whole set is to get those. if we don't do a GB for them it might take even longer for QWER to be able to do mods. Not saying we need to be a bridge loan for them but they're community members and I would much rather my money go to them than SP for a variety of reasons...

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: [IC] QWERkeys 86-key set -- DISCUSSION MODE
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:24:12 »
Maybe start with a RGB mod set?
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:26:34 by The_Beast »

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:29:53 »
it's a possibility. wouldn't cover enter, caps lock, tab/|\ or backspace though.
I'll see if I can get a quote on RGB for now.

Offline pasph

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:29:56 »
All of them was 1x1.
If an 86 caps GB can help QWER to do mods i'm in for sure, i just prefer, if it is possible, also, beside it, an alternate color modifiers sub-set, like in the RA or Valentine gb.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:35:28 »
IDK do the RGB to show interest in his product and maybe he'll front the money for the enter, caps..... molds or use the money from the RGB and buy those molds for the rest of the mods? IDK I'm just thrown out ideas so that we can get stuff done ^__^

Does he have a series that is close to cherry profile. I got the lambda key today, and they are super thick for ABS and really nice, but the profile is closer to OEM :(

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:36:00 »
All of them was 1x1.
If an 86 caps GB can help QWER to do mods i'm in for sure, i just prefer, if it is possible, also, beside it, an alternate color modifiers sub-set, like in the RA or Valentine gb.

Yeah I gotcha, that is understandable... but keep in mind you're one of the lucky ones with a nearly-whole set :D

I just sent an email regarding modifier pricing at MOQ of 100. Are people interested mostly in 1.25? Would there be major objection to doing 1.25 and 1.5 mods in one set, plus maybe a short right shift? The short right shift is definitely the weak link there, and I know 1.5 is not as common but I am kinda getting sick of all the 'base set + addon' kits... it just raises prices for everybody, and we all know the resale market is doing fine.
Not to pick on Rag by any means but the red alert set that he ran ended up costing more for all the sets put together than the original RA set and that came with more keys afaik, and the reason is because the number of orders for the more esoteric keys were so low. If everybody is willing to pony up and get a key or two they don't need, it will be cheaper now AND in the future. Just my 2c though.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:37:06 »
$121 for a base 86 key set? Kindof expensive, what kind of keys are they?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:37:12 »
IDK do the RGB to show interest in his product and maybe he'll front the money for the enter, caps..... molds or use the money from the RGB and buy those molds for the rest of the mods? IDK I'm just thrown out ideas so that we can get stuff done ^__^

Does he have a series that is close to cherry profile. I got the lambda key today, and they are super thick for ABS and really nice, but the profile is closer to OEM :(
The J series is a replica of the cherry profile.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:38:10 »
I'm a 1.25 mod kinda guy, but if it isn't really that much more ($3-5 per set) it would be a good idea.

Have you seen how thick the keys are? it's damn thick bro

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:38:29 »
Yeah... it's definitely not cheap but it would be supporting a small business with roots in the community, which is valuable to me. Hopefully to others as well. Plus it would encourage them to branch out into new materials and things. They are laser engraved + infilled ABS, I know, not the best, but I think they look way better than most SP stuff.

Sorry for all the posts in a row!

Offline elton5354

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:39:40 »
How about a set in transparency? http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33316.0

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: [IC] QWERkeys 86-key set? RGB mod set? -- DISCUSSION MODE
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:41:38 »
How about a set in transparency? http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33316.0

I don't like the 100% clear, but he did have some that looked like paper but still let light through. I'd be on board for those and I don't have a backlit board to put them on ^___^

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:41:40 »
I dunno, I'm not a big fan of those... my favorite thing about QK is their solid colors + legends. They would be cool for a single key to show off your switch type though :)
I could see a separate GB for each common cherry MX color.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:48:55 »
so basically $122 US dollars for an 87 set that includes mods (but no space bar)?
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:50:33 »
so basically $122 US dollars for an 87 set that includes mods (but no space bar)?
Yes. Though at this point we're discussing just a modifier set which should be considerably cheaper.

Offline noog

[IC] QWERkeys 86-key set? RGB mod set? -- DISCUSSION MODE
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:51:52 »
I'd be in though the colors do not interest me. Sound silly but a grey on black would be my preference.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:52:58 »
Sure, we're only in discussion mode now so all ideas will be considered :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:53:06 »
I'd be in though the colors do not interest me. Sound silly but a grey on black would be my preference.

This will be the hardest thing to over come, picking a color :(

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:03:32 »
After sinking so much into R4...can't really justify another full set of caps, especially at that price. But as for a modifier set, I would be keen in getting in on one of those. I really do like the way they do the triple colour style thing, like the GeekHack they recently did. Could possibly do a tri-tone colour of modifiers? Like charcoal sides, orange top and white letters. Just a thought, the problem with QWERkeys is the infinite possibilities in colour and arrangement hah.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:05:23 »
I'm not sure about their modifier tripleshot capability. It might be more prudent to have solid mods for cost and appeal reasons, but maybe I'm just the only one that's not that into the novelty of triple shot molding :)

Offline pasph

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:06:25 »
13 base colors (14 with charcoal?) and 6 legends colors...how to make a pool?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:07:10 »
I'm not sure about their modifier tripleshot capability. It might be more prudent to have solid mods for cost and appeal reasons, but maybe I'm just the only one that's not that into the novelty of triple shot molding :)

I think I'm just in love with colours...you'd probably vomit if you saw my ducky rabbit and cherry 8100....

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:23:02 »
oh?

pink on orange then
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:23:34 »
GO RIDE YOUR BIKE

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:24:16 »
Purple keys, orange infill

^___^

Offline DarkShot

• Professional Procrastinator
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:36:40 »
I think a full set of charcoal/orange would look great, with the mods charcoal and orange print, everything else orange with charcoal print.

However to make things easier, I think a straight white on orange mod set would be one of the easier things to do, as white keys and spacebars are already easily accessible, with the forward slash and tilde keys orange as well.

(mockup borrowed from Jil's Valentine thread)
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:44:19 by DarkShot »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:39:51 »
I wouldn't mind a large center font like what's on a Dolch set. That's assuming we don't have to pay legend fees since it's engraved.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:40:45 »
you're thinking of Round3 not dolch. Similar colors, different legends. Dolch is basically just cherry white on dark grey.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:42:33 »
you're thinking of Round3 not dolch. Similar colors, different legends. Dolch is basically just cherry white on dark grey.

That's right I am thinking of round 3. Does QWERkeys charge legend fees? (I don't see a reason why they would)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:43:48 »
not sure. I actually really like the legends on their alphanums; that and the color choices are 2 of the main reasons i want to try to do a GB through them.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:45:02 »
Fair enough,  they do look pretty good. Do we have a set color? Do we know if he can do mods? or is it still up in the air?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:48:47 »
They can do mods but the MOQ is 100 still. I'm waiting on a quote for mods only right now. Color is not decided... but if we do just the mods I imagine might start with RGB set and work from there. First few will probably have to be novelties if they are just one or a few at a time :(

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:51:51 »
Slow a long isn't ideal but if it gets us the molds for a full set, it will be worth it.

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:53:04 »
Show Image

Hey.. I really like this set.. if the legends on the white keys were also orange. ;x Makes me want tangerines.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:53:05 »
I think a full set of charcoal/orange would look great, with the mods charcoal and orange print, everything else orange with charcoal print.

However to make things easier, I think a straight white on orange mod set would be one of the easier things to do, as white keys and spacebars are already easily accessible, with the forward slash and tilde keys orange as well.

Show Image

would be better with black legends
GO RIDE YOUR BIKE

going to the gym today! i rode bike yesterday :)
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline DarkShot

• Professional Procrastinator
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:57:41 »

Completely. Was just a quick change up in photoshop.

Hey.. I really like this set.. if the legends on the white keys were also orange. ;x Makes me want tangerines.

I agree, that one was moreso for the orange mods only.

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:59:50 by DarkShot »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:59:37 »

too halloweeny! orange is a little ostentatious for my taste but really, this group buy is to get the molds ready so we can do more in the future... just don't see orange and white being popular enough for 100. it's possible though!