Author Topic: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate column/row mapping  (Read 1826 times)

Offline stenakt

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate column/row mapping
« on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 12:37:49 »
Hi,
in trying to fix a faulty S key on my keyboard I managed to fry the PCB connection for that key (all other keys still work fine).  I know, I know, I've got a variable temp soldering iron now. 
So now I'm looking add jump wires to get the key working again.  However, despite mapping every other alphanumeric with a multimeter, I can't find the column/row combination that will give me S.  Can anybody give me some keys on the same row and column so I can solder in the jump wires.

thanks chaps.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Re: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate column/row mapping
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 13:02:41 »
not sure I'd even be attempting to repair a Razer board, personally I'd be out sourcing a new board.  But kudos for at least working to repair it - not sure where you would jump it.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline stenakt

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 13:28:19 »
it's a favorite of my son's and I broke it, so I have to fix it!

Offline stenakt

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 22:00:25 »
just as an addendum, I've mapped all the rows and columns for the alphanumeric keys, and none of the combinations of the row/col set for these keys produce an 'S'.  A bit strange that the S key would have a column or row unique to the otehr alphanumerics?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 03:53:45 »
It would be incredibly strange for S to be all on it's own, though alphanumerics are no different from other keys so it could be connected anywhere.  Can you post a picture of (half?) the PCB?  Hopefully it's not black so I can see at least a bit of what's going on...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 04:01:11 »
as a gaming board S will need to not conflict with its neighbors so i would expect it to be mapped a bit strangely, although for it to be mapped all alone seems rather overkill. although with no photos and/or potential started schematics it will be rather hard to help, even with those it may be rather difficult
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline stenakt

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 09:07:00 »
Of course it is black  :rolleyes:.  All the stickers are for me to track which keys I've mapped - still going!  Difficult to see but hopefully the pics help.
cheers

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 11:12:59 »
Black >:D

You can see the lower pin connects to the lower pin of Alt directly below and that means the top pin goes to a diode.  If touching the top pin of S to the bottom pin of Alt types an S you got lucky, just solder a jumper between the two bottom pins.  If it doesn't (and from the pad I'm guessing it wont) the only way to fix it is to desolder all the switches.  Unless there is a big patch of diodes somewhere near the controller but that's far from common on modern boards.

Edit:  Took another look, is there a trace heading up at 45 degrees towards D?  If there is and it's not been pulled up with the pad you could scrape the black mask off and carefully solder a jumper to that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2020, 12:59:20 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 05:13:30 »
Black >:D

You can see the lower pin connects to the lower pin of Alt directly below and that means the top pin goes to a diode.  If touching the top pin of S to the bottom pin of Alt types an S you got lucky, just solder a jumper between the two bottom pins.  If it doesn't (and from the pad I'm guessing it wont) the only way to fix it is to desolder all the switches.  Unless there is a big patch of diodes somewhere near the controller but that's far from common on modern boards.

Edit:  Took another look, is there a trace heading up at 45 degrees towards D?  If there is and it's not been pulled up with the pad you could scrape the black mask off and carefully solder a jumper to that.
i do agree with the lower pin to alt but, i also do agree that black boards are a pain to deal with, but i wonder if the trace to the top pin would be on the top side, and i do not see diodes, to me this board looks like a 2kro with a gaming specialized matrix, if you can take a gander on the top side and see if there is a trace that goes to the pin. for a start you can only remove the S switch, should be enough to see if there is a trace and so maybe find more clues on how to fix the thing.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 06:46:46 »
2kro in an 'ultimate'?  Could be I suppose... I did assume there would be diodes as well as assuming it has a plate makieg the other side a mystery.  Would be nice if there were neither.

@stenakt - can you share your mapping so far and say how you worked it out?  This should confirm the presence of diodes, or not.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline stenakt

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 20:37:11 »
Jeez you've got good eyes.  I took a pic of the inside and, yes I can see a connection at 45 degrees, although I can't see it on the other side.

However, your (welcome) suggestions didn't yield an S so I went ahead and mapped all the keys.  And at last I found an S.  Jumping the Space and F10 should do it!
In case this info is useful to anyone else:
- there are 8 rows and 20 columns (although I arbitrarily assigned the names 'row' and 'column' of course so there could be 20 rows and 8 columns). 
- 4 of the columns only have Shift, Control, Function and Alt assigned to them i.e. one column for Shift, one for Control etc.
- I have every one of the 108 keys mapped if you're interested!

thanks for the help chaps.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 23:25:40 »

While I'd be curious to see the mapping, I'd highly recommend you post it for information sake alone.

Anyone who does go searching in the future is going to find this thread and come away disappointed or have to send you a message hoping you're still around. Also since this board is built by an OEM (IONE, I think), the mapping is probably the same for quite a few similar boards that they make so you may be helping diagnose something similar in the future.

More importantly, document all you can.
It's surprising how much one person finds useless is invaluable to another or what it may lead to, for others and to yourself.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 00:16:04 »
Space and F10 - obviously!

Having mapped a full size myself as a newbie (I now know that board is documented...) I admire your your dedication, feels great when it finally works doesn't it :)

Pease do post what you found along with anything that's written on the board to help people searching, and if there are any extra positions (ISO enter half way above the wide ANSI one and split left shift maybe?) it would be great if you can add them too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2020, 14:41:04 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Polymer

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 14:21:42 »

While I'd be curious to see the mapping, I'd highly recommend you post it for information sake alone.

Anyone who does go searching in the future is going to find this thread and come away disappointed or have to send you a message hoping you're still around. Also since this board is built by an OEM (IONE, I think), the mapping is probably the same for quite a few similar boards that they make so you may be helping diagnose something similar in the future.

More importantly, document all you can.
It's surprising how much one person finds useless is invaluable to another or what it may lead to, for others and to yourself.

Yeah..great work really....while I think this information is more niche, it would be invaluable for anyone else going through the same thing...Great stuff.