Author Topic: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)  (Read 562280 times)

Offline SuperBo

Re: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES NOW LIVE!!!
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 12:11:15 »
Are there any proxy near to China or Vietnam. Shipping fee is as half as my switches price.  :(

Offline Protoype

« Reply #401 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 15:45:19 »
Anyone in the UK thinking of buying and want to split shipping / vat / customs costs? :p
No place like 127.0.0.1

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #402 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 22:05:33 »
CPTBadAss with another more detailed review of Zealios! Have a read: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75300
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #403 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 05:34:07 »
I'm sorry if its been posted before but I just couldn't see it but has the raffle for the zealio themed binge caps already ended or will that last until the end of the group buy?

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #404 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 05:35:52 »
It was supposed to have ended this passed Saturday. So yeah it's over :(

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #405 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 07:07:28 »
It was supposed to have ended this passed Saturday. So yeah it's over :(

Argh well. Maybe I'll get lucky in the hyperfuse sticker contest

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #406 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:38:02 »
I like MX Browns.  I think I prefer the tactility and actuation force of MX Blues but I don't like the click.  MX Blacks are too heavy for my taste.  Which Zealios switch would the people who've tried these recommend to me?  And would you recommend lubing them or not?  Also, is using LEDs more trouble than it's worth for a hand-wired keyboard?

62g Purple Zealios wouldn't be too far away from the weight of MX Browns. Though 65g and 67g aren't that far away either, however they have their own unique tactile feedback. 65g and 67g Purple Zealios have been the most popular thus far. For reference, MX Blacks have a bottom out force of roughly 78g-80g.

As for lubing, that is completely up to the end user. Are you one to go for 100% every time, or will 85-90% be good enough? Knowing where to properly lube and how much lube to use is also dependent on your personal tastes so you'll just have to try it and see if it's worth your time.

Re: hand wiring, it would definitely complicate things due to the limited space available per row/column. You'll also need to attach resistors to every LED and whatnot.

So, the ratings of the Zealios switches are for bottom-out force and not actuation force?  Which of these switches has an actuation force that is closest to Cherry MX Blue?  Is it heavier or lighter than MX Blue? 
I appreciate all the information from you and the reviewers but making a decision is so difficult: the light, springiness of 62g; the "perfect balance" of 65g; or the comparison of 67g to Topre (which I've never tried but have always wanted to) with its high actuation point.  Oh, the anguish of the mechanical keyboard enthusiast.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #407 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:40:17 »
I don't think any of them feel close to MX Blue. I mean obviously 62g would fit your question since it's the lightest spring weight. You'd probably have to swap in 55g springs to get that feeling.

Offline t8c

« Reply #408 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 08:40:16 »
Placed my order on 200 62g tactile. Excited to compare them to my salmon Alps.

Offline jamster

« Reply #409 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:01:53 »
In for 110 65g tactile :D

Offline toneman77

« Reply #410 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 13:05:00 »
in for 70 tactile 65g.
Just when I thought I would build my first mech with gateron yellows, Zeal came along.
btw: hell of a nice guy regarding questions to the shop & shipping.
Hope these switches come before christmas *excited*

Offline Digitize

« Reply #411 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 10:15:54 »
Finally made my decision to put an order for some smexy tactile 65g purple zealio. It was hard. It was so hard. my first built mech board is like robbing my wallet. 

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #412 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 13:02:08 »
Put my Hyperfuse on my new keyboard to use in the meantime while I wait for the replacement F6 looks nice only problem I have but unsure if this is a common thing or my problem the backspace and spacebar feel super mushy as though they are getting caught on the upstroke is this a common thing with GMK and gateron switches? :X

Show Image

i had a very similar feeling on a keyboard with gateron clears, the backspace in particular felt like it was mushy and came back up in slow motion, but wasnt caught on anything, i put it down to the weight of the springs and just havent played around with it since
Humm I might just switch out the backspace and space bar to a heavy spring and use a cherry switch instead for those two to see if that will fix the issue otherwise everything seems to be fine, also to note I did just check with a SP space bar and that is not mush at all :X might just be GMK not liking gateron :X

i only had this issue with gateron clears, id bare in mind that gmk keys will be somewhat heavier than sp
Ahh I also have the clear gateron although the springs are 68g so I didn't think it would of been that.

Could it be the stem gateron use, might try swapping a gateron black into it then a cherry red stem to see if that helps if not just replace the entire switch, I'm also wondering my stab I got with the pcb (Sprit) did not have the little bend in it do you think that would make a difference? :X also sorry for all the question first time with gmk anything :X

as i say, i didnt spend much time with the issue, but ive certainly only experienced it with gateron clears, so lemme know what you find out switches things around
Might of got it fixed so far it seems to be the clear gateron stem that makes it feel mushy, I have swapped the stem + top cover for a cherry part and that is perfect, also used the gateron top + a cherry black stem which also feels perfect so it seems it might just be stabilised gateron stems acting odd as all the other keys are perfect O>O

Also to note I have just tried a gateron black stem which gives the same mushy feeling when used otherwise cherry stems are perfect and seem to work without issue, well I guess I know what I can now do with all those Red stems I have lying around :X

pretty interesting stuff, im sure some keyboard wizard smarter than me will be able to work out the issue

i just tested a gateron clear on a few boards and replicated the issue every time, but havent had it with any other switch

Have any of the testers experienced anything like this with these? I know they're completely different than what Gateron but was wondering if these also had this issue.

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #413 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 13:09:46 »
More
Put my Hyperfuse on my new keyboard to use in the meantime while I wait for the replacement F6 looks nice only problem I have but unsure if this is a common thing or my problem the backspace and spacebar feel super mushy as though they are getting caught on the upstroke is this a common thing with GMK and gateron switches? :X

Show Image

i had a very similar feeling on a keyboard with gateron clears, the backspace in particular felt like it was mushy and came back up in slow motion, but wasnt caught on anything, i put it down to the weight of the springs and just havent played around with it since
Humm I might just switch out the backspace and space bar to a heavy spring and use a cherry switch instead for those two to see if that will fix the issue otherwise everything seems to be fine, also to note I did just check with a SP space bar and that is not mush at all :X might just be GMK not liking gateron :X

i only had this issue with gateron clears, id bare in mind that gmk keys will be somewhat heavier than sp
Ahh I also have the clear gateron although the springs are 68g so I didn't think it would of been that.

Could it be the stem gateron use, might try swapping a gateron black into it then a cherry red stem to see if that helps if not just replace the entire switch, I'm also wondering my stab I got with the pcb (Sprit) did not have the little bend in it do you think that would make a difference? :X also sorry for all the question first time with gmk anything :X

as i say, i didnt spend much time with the issue, but ive certainly only experienced it with gateron clears, so lemme know what you find out switches things around
Might of got it fixed so far it seems to be the clear gateron stem that makes it feel mushy, I have swapped the stem + top cover for a cherry part and that is perfect, also used the gateron top + a cherry black stem which also feels perfect so it seems it might just be stabilised gateron stems acting odd as all the other keys are perfect O>O

Also to note I have just tried a gateron black stem which gives the same mushy feeling when used otherwise cherry stems are perfect and seem to work without issue, well I guess I know what I can now do with all those Red stems I have lying around :X

pretty interesting stuff, im sure some keyboard wizard smarter than me will be able to work out the issue

i just tested a gateron clear on a few boards and replicated the issue every time, but havent had it with any other switch

Have any of the testers experienced anything like this with these? I know they're completely different than what Gateron but was wondering if these also had this issue.

It has to do with a tighter top half clearance that Gateron had designed to prevent dust/grime from getting in.

From my brief testing with GMK Row 1 caps (Ctrl, alt, windows, etc) it doesn't catch on the RGB switchtops as I had it slightly modified to enlarge the guiding rails a tiny bit. On my old batch of Gaterons with milky tops, those same keys would occasionally catch if hit off center.

Livingspeedbump and CPT have tried to replicate it, but didn't find any issues thus far.

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #414 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 13:11:59 »
More

Show Image

It has to do with a tighter top half clearance that Gateron had designed to prevent dust/grime from getting in.

From my brief testing with GMK Row 1 caps (Ctrl, alt, windows, etc) it doesn't catch on the RGB switchtops as I had it slightly modified to enlarge the guiding rails a tiny bit. On my old batch of Gaterons with milky tops, those same keys would occasionally catch if hit off center.

Livingspeedbump and CPT have tried to replicate it, but didn't find any issues thus far.

Good to hear I personally haven't had major issues with my Gateron + GMK however I do notice it on the NUM+ so doubt it will be a noticable problem with these switches :D

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #415 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 23:42:54 »
Any chance of a tester set? One of each of the six options?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #416 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 00:11:12 »
Any chance of a tester set? One of each of the six options?

Not at the moment, maybe for second revisions.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #417 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 03:22:58 »
Status Update: Gateron has told me that the expected ship date is Sept 29/30. There was a bit of delay in our schedule because they were moving to a larger factory last week. There's also mid-autumn festival coming up on Sept 26-27, so they'll most likely have Zealios produced by this week and have it ready to ship next week.

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #418 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 05:20:24 »
Status Update: Gateron has told me that the expected ship date is Sept 29/30. There was a bit of delay in our schedule because they were moving to a larger factory last week. There's also mid-autumn festival coming up on Sept 26-27, so they'll most likely have Zealios produced by this week and have it ready to ship next week.

Getting so hyped zeal! Don't even have any keyboard for the switches but still exciting for when I get all the parts.  :D

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #419 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 05:31:44 »
You're still open for orders until the 30th though, right?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #420 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 08:02:02 »

Does it ship directly to us or to you and then you send them to us?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #421 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 08:09:22 »
awesome news. hope my gh60 stuff gets sent soon!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Elth

• Easy now fuzzy little man peach
« Reply #422 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 11:22:37 »

Getting so hyped zeal! Don't even have any keyboard for the switches but still exciting for when I get all the parts.  :D

In the same boat. Ordered these for the Mira, but will be so tempted to use these switches as they sit on my desk.
TGR Jane V2 | TGR 910 | TGR Jane CE

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #423 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 11:41:24 »
You're still open for orders until the 30th though, right?

Correct.

Does it ship directly to us or to you and then you send them to us?

Switches will be shipped to me. I'll be doing the individual shipping.

Offline Altis

« Reply #424 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 20:48:09 »
Honestly, I don't even know why I come around this site anymore. It's like setting my wallet on fire and throwing it out the window.

Having said that, can't wait to get them in!
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #425 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 02:38:52 »
Honestly, I don't even know why I come around this site anymore. It's like setting my wallet on fire and throwing it out the window.

Haha........welcome to Geekhack, backdoor to Salem - home of Wallet Burning at the Stake.

Prepare to be routinely purified and cleansed by this method for each and every Group Buy held at this place  8) .

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #426 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 09:39:53 »

Having said that, can't wait to get them in!
What's a wallet?
I would transfer all my paycheck to GH account every month if possible, for gb purposes
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #427 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 14:43:56 »
Anyone in the UK thinking of buying and want to split shipping / vat / customs costs? :p

I can do, sorry, I missed this. I can PM Zeal and PM you and we can sort it if you want?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #428 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:26:35 »
It's finally here! Purple (Tactile) & Clear (Linear) Zealio switch GB IS NOW LIVE! >>Order Here!

Question for you Zeal! I saw that it said shipping will be 1-2 weeks. I'm moving at the end of October and I was wondering what the probability of that ETA is. I would hate to have the package arrive after I've already moved! I really want to participate in the GB though! Those 65g Purples look amazing! Cheers!

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #429 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:32:32 »
It's finally here! Purple (Tactile) & Clear (Linear) Zealio switch GB IS NOW LIVE! >>Order Here!

Question for you Zeal! I saw that it said shipping will be 1-2 weeks. I'm moving at the end of October and I was wondering what the probability of that ETA is. I would hate to have the package arrive after I've already moved! I really want to participate in the GB though! Those 65g Purples look amazing! Cheers!

I'll be importing the shipment from Gateron at the end of September, and it'll take 2-3 days to arrive to my place. I'll then be working on shipping out all the orders in the order they came in and depending on the shipping option you chose, you would receive it within 1-3 days (DHL) or 6-10 business days (untracked, under 250g) for int'l shipments outside of CA/USA

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #430 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:51:42 »

I'll be importing the shipment from Gateron at the end of September, and it'll take 2-3 days to arrive to my place. I'll then be working on shipping out all the orders in the order they came in and depending on the shipping option you chose, you would receive it within 1-3 days (DHL) or 6-10 business days (untracked, under 250g) for int'l shipments outside of CA/USA

Cool! Thanks man. I'll try my luck!

Offline myotherteeshirt

« Reply #431 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 21:59:13 »
Placed my order!

Didn't really have anything else constructive to say, just thought i'd say something to bump this thread.

Looking forward to my bag o' switches!

Offline ViệtNV

• VNMK
« Reply #432 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 22:37:09 »
I'm in ;D Thanks Zeal :thumb:

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 16:46:38 »
Just got in for a bunch. Hopefully make a nice 60% with them. Thanks Zeal - you're always doing something cool. Much appreciated.

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #434 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 00:29:07 »
Say hi to my new home for my didn't-make-MOQ-Classic-Beige-GB cash.

One question: are these stems totally compatible with stock Cherry switch housings?

My board is switch top-removable and I'm planning to circle back and tackle all of the soldering lateron [sic], but seriously. When these arrive, I just want to drop the stems right into my board - am I in for any surprises? From the pics I've seen these look totally compatible with existing housings. Can anybody confirm?

Cheers,

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #435 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 00:49:06 »
Say hi to my new home for my didn't-make-MOQ-Classic-Beige-GB cash.

One question: are these stems totally compatible with stock Cherry switch housings?

My board is switch top-removable and I'm planning to circle back and tackle all of the soldering lateron [sic], but seriously. When these arrive, I just want to drop the stems right into my board - am I in for any surprises? From the pics I've seen these look totally compatible with existing housings. Can anybody confirm?

Cheers,

K

The tactile purple Zealios should be compatible with Cherry MX housings, though the optimal smoothness would be achieved if used in its stock transparent housing.

Offline korrelate

« Reply #436 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 12:40:05 »
Thanks for the reply Zeal!

Any chance you can drop some stems in some cherry housings just to be sure? It's much easier to throw $100+ bucks at a "they do" than it is to throw them at a "they should."

cheers,

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #437 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 13:41:41 »
Thanks for the reply Zeal!

Any chance you can drop some stems in some cherry housings just to be sure? It's much easier to throw $100+ bucks at a "they do" than it is to throw them at a "they should."

cheers,

K

Just tested the purple slider - works perfectly normal in Cherry housings.

The linear clear slider in a Cherry housing however has a super tiny tactile bump towards the end of the keystroke (3mmish) due to the way the linear legs were made and the slight difference that the Cherry leaves are bent (linear legs are ever so slightly angled higher which causes the Cherry leaf's bent copper to fall into the upper portion of the leg).

In their native transparent housings, everything works normal as always.

Offline korrelate

« Reply #438 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 15:01:33 »
Good to know! Thanks Zeal!

Topre REALFORCE

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #439 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 06:19:04 »
90 67g purples ordered.
The waiting begins.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #440 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 09:18:43 »
Order submitted for 100 x 67g Zealios

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #441 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 09:25:01 »
i ordered the 65's I am debating on getting enough 67's for a ctrlalt 60 gon  :eek: very excited I am thank you for this Zealio :cool:
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #442 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 09:39:35 »

i ordered the 65's I am debating on getting enough 67's for a ctrlalt 60 gon  :eek: very excited I am thank you for this Zealio :cool:

I went with the 67s because of the reports that said they feel similar to Thorpies :)

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #443 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 09:44:34 »

I went with the 67s because of the reports that said they feel similar to Thorpies :)
I  think I read the same review. I think I chose the 65g's because it was reported they are a little snappier on the upstroke but I think I'm going to have to order the 67g's also because that's what I have on my gon (67g ergo clears) and it is by far my favorite cherry switch to type on and the more I wear it in the better it seems to feel  :))
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #444 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 18:55:01 »
I wonder if someone has a picture comparing the Purple's stem and Cherry's clear stem. Particularly in the side where the stems actually touch and activate the switch contacts.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #445 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:06:22 »
I wonder if someone has a picture comparing the Purple's stem and Cherry's clear stem. Particularly in the side where the stems actually touch and activate the switch contacts.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74807.msg1847867#msg1847867
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74807.msg1848929#msg1848929

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #446 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:11:58 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Is it an optical illusion, or the purple's bump is a little bit softer than the one on a gray / clear's stem?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #447 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:25:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Is it an optical illusion, or the purple's bump is a little bit softer than the one on a gray / clear's stem?

It's an optical illusion.

This shot shows how grainy the MX Clear mould is.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #448 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 20:14:09 »
Cool pictures, thank you Zeal.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #449 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 20:34:24 »
Finally in for 200 67g as well as two lube kits! Hyped!
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.