Author Topic: Ortholinear through-hole aesthetic 60% PCB  (Read 2904 times)

Offline peej

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
Ortholinear through-hole aesthetic 60% PCB
« on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 10:01:41 »
Hello Geekhack, I wanted to share a project I've been working on for a few months.

This is the Lumberjack PCB, a 60% ortholinear pseudo-split layout with a Plaid style through-hole component aesthetic.

The PCB uses the same schematic and components as the Plaid but with a different switch matrix layout. It fits into a standard 60% tray mount case with a little bit of trimming of the switches over the top left and right standoffs.

I just got my first PCB put together and ironed out a few teething issues.

Thanks to hsgw for the Plaid and it's documentation which allowed me to get this far.

The KiCAD files and more information is on Github: https://github.com/peej/lumberjack-keyboard

Offline piit79

Re: Ortholinear through-hole aesthetic 60% PCB
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 10:13:08 »
Hey, that's a great idea! Looks very interesting. I have an XD75 PCB in a Tofu 60% case, but I never use the middle 3 columns anyway.

I see you used a Mini USB connector, I assume for better availability and ease of soldering? I'll have a go at replacing it with USB-C like I did for the Plaid (https://github.com/piit79/plaid) and order a few copies :) Thanks a lot for making it open-source!

Offline gipetto

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 14:50:27 »
I like this. I was thinking about doing a similar build with the mcu at the cable socket but this looks much more comfortable to use. If you get time you should design a 5x6 pcb plate also, reversible so it can do both sides of the pcb.

Offline peej

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 15:47:41 »
Hey, that's a great idea! Looks very interesting. I have an XD75 PCB in a Tofu 60% case, but I never use the middle 3 columns anyway.

Yeh I struggle with the split if there are keys in the middle, I guess I have wandering hands, so I felt this was a nice way to get the split and the Plaid look all in one package.

I'm not great at soldering, SMD is not what I would call fun, and those through-hole USB-C sockets are hard to get hold of. Plus I like the robustness of Mini-USB.

Offline parablol

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 18:26:25 »
I like this design and this layout

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 07:00:14 »
Maybe I'm blind but do you mount the pcb only to the outermost standoffs? I've removed the middle posts on my own Tofu but with just two mounting posts I imagine you'd get some sort of seesaw / fulcrum action going.