Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3499368 times)

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #16100 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 15:12:47 »
No and like 100$

Check out something like the Ducky One TKL's on mechanicalkeyboards.com.
You have a few switches to choose from and also as backlight and Doubleshot PBT's which should last you a while.
The build quality is there and is straight up simple, around $99.

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline menuhin

« Reply #16101 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 21:48:08 »
Simple question:

Is there any number pad kit out there for Alps switches?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline daskeybo

« Reply #16102 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 08:52:44 »
No.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16103 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 10:33:20 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:21:48 by alienman82 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16104 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 11:07:41 »
I think that I have a Genovation with simplified Alps that could be upgraded to better switches, but I have never actually opened it up.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline onefunkynote

« Reply #16105 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 09:14:39 »
I've been using a Vortex Pok3r with MX Clears as my daily driver for a bout a year now.  I just got a KUL with MX Clears for my birthday and right off the bat something about the KUL just doesn't feel right.  The KUL just feels way more "Mushy" than the pok3r does.  Is this from me using the pok3r for longer or is there a significant difference in the build? 

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #16106 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 09:16:45 »
I've been using a Vortex Pok3r with MX Clears as my daily driver for a bout a year now.  I just got a KUL with MX Clears for my birthday and right off the bat something about the KUL just doesn't feel right.  The KUL just feels way more "Mushy" than the pok3r does.  Is this from me using the pok3r for longer or is there a significant difference in the build?

If I'm not mistaken, KUL is a plastic board, and Pok3r is aluminum with a T H I C C (steel?) plate. That's most likely the difference you're feeling.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline onefunkynote

« Reply #16107 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 09:20:07 »

If I'm not mistaken, KUL is a plastic board, and Pok3r is aluminum with a T H I C C (steel?) plate. That's most likely the difference you're feeling.

You are correct, I just didn't realize it would make the switches feel THAT much different.  The more you know.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #16108 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 10:23:35 »
Simple question:

Is there any number pad kit out there for Alps switches?

I will make one for you

:cool: :cool: :cool:
You can make one, I can take good photos for you and plan a top marketing strategy.
It will make pocket money for you as good as (or at least 75%) RAMA's products - there are some CAD design gods in RAMA.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline onefunkynote

« Reply #16109 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 09:49:45 »
For anyone that has a Vortex Pok3r and other Vortex keyboards, do the switches and stabs feel the same across the different boards?  I.E. does the pok3r feel the same as a Race or other model?

Offline manna

« Reply #16110 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 14:43:21 »
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to place the inners of a Novatouch in the case of a Wasd keyboard case?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16111 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 16:59:41 »
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to place the inners of a Novatouch in the case of a Wasd keyboard case?
I'm 99.9% sure the answer is no but hacksaws, glue and duct tape make anything possible if you're crazy enough.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline manna

« Reply #16112 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 11:18:04 »
Bummer, I wanted one because to me it seems like DSA keycaps looks better on a larger case.

Offline divito

« Reply #16113 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 10:33:18 »
Does anyone know what kind of foam comes in some of the keycap boxes like these:

Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16114 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 12:41:15 »
Does anyone know what kind of foam comes in some of the keycap boxes like these:

Show Image

Not 100% sure, but I would guess its high density, closed cell, neoprene foam. Someone please correct me if I'm very wrong.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #16115 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 14:12:35 »
Where to buy switch stickers these days? Sherry doesn't have any :(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16116 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 14:24:09 »

Techkeys.us has some

But all the cool kids are using these

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92806.msg2529398.msg#2529398

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #16117 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 15:04:07 »

Techkeys.us has some

But all the cool kids are using these

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92806.msg2529398.msg#2529398

That's neat. Are there any shops with them or am I at the mercy of the GB

Offline unnatural

« Reply #16118 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 14:55:23 »
With mx-compatible type switches, like on the realforce rgb, is there a simple way to fit traditional Topre keycaps on the switch?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16119 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 15:09:00 »
With mx-compatible type switches, like on the realforce rgb, is there a simple way to fit traditional Topre keycaps on the switch?

They aren't switches but rather sliders and no they are not backwards compatible with standard topre keycaps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 December 2017, 15:11:02 by SpAmRaY »

Offline unnatural

« Reply #16120 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 15:18:02 »

They aren't switches but rather sliders and no they are not backwards compatible with standard topre keycaps.

RIP all my topre caps :(, thanks.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16121 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 15:22:35 »

RIP all my topre caps :(, thanks.

I mean I assume you could swap in a standard topre slider in place of the mx-compatible slider but I'm honestly not sure if that fits either.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16123 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 17:11:31 »
does anyone know if these switches are the new revisioned mx blacks?
https://www.reichelt.de/Tastaturzubehoer/CHERRY-MX1A-11NN/3/index.html?ACTION=3&LA=2&ARTICLE=202566&GROUPID=8099&artnr=CHERRY+MX1A-11NN&SEARCH=%252A;SID=93Wihp0awQATcAADu%40HWQ9c3b63933ceb39fd28ddb54e412717ee

Cherry produced a new MX Black switch? I found the same manufacturer part # at Mouser. Fifteen large in stock with expected delays. I couldn't gleam any date information from the datasheet so I'm all out of answers.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cherry/MX1A-11NN/?qs=5iusCjFLgR6EHFBhPS8DXg%3D%3D

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16124 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 18:14:22 »
What is the best way to reduce key wobble on SA. I am doing a build for my brother and got him SA Dasher, but they wobble far too much for my taste. I'm planning to drop them on Kailh speed to reduce overall travel, but would stickers help solve this problem? I went in on the polycarb switch films, but I read that those are only good for Cherry switches. Is there anything I can do, or is the nature of the beast?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #16125 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 18:16:29 »
What is the best way to reduce key wobble on SA. I am doing a build for my brother and got him SA Dasher, but they wobble far too much for my taste. I'm planning to drop them on Kailh speed to reduce overall travel, but would stickers help solve this problem? I went in on the polycarb switch films, but I read that those are only good for Cherry switches. Is there anything I can do, or is the nature of the beast?

Stickers only matter if you took the switch apart.

I imagine the Box switch stems help negate wobble, but you'll always notice more with SA as they're taller.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16126 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 18:21:10 »

Stickers only matter if you took the switch apart.

I imagine the Box switch stems help negate wobble, but you'll always notice more with SA as they're taller.

That's what I figured. Do box switch stems have a noticeable impact? I thought they were mainly for keeping dust etc out of the switch.

Offline llovro

« Reply #16127 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 11:06:42 »
does anyone know if these switches are the new revisioned mx blacks?
https://www.reichelt.de/Tastaturzubehoer/CHERRY-MX1A-11NN/3/index.html?ACTION=3&LA=2&ARTICLE=202566&GROUPID=8099&artnr=CHERRY+MX1A-11NN&SEARCH=%252A;SID=93Wihp0awQATcAADu%40HWQ9c3b63933ceb39fd28ddb54e412717ee

Cherry produced a new MX Black switch? I found the same manufacturer part # at Mouser. Fifteen large in stock with expected delays. I couldn't gleam any date information from the datasheet so I'm all out of answers.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cherry/MX1A-11NN/?qs=5iusCjFLgR6EHFBhPS8DXg%3D%3D
yeah they supposedly have a new stem, according to this thread:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88031.0

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16128 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 11:49:26 »
How do I get into collecting artisans?.. It always seems like that caps are raffles or for a very limited run.. and I miss it entirely. No idea how to buy these suckers because they are always sold out.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #16129 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 18:14:10 »
How do I get into collecting artisans?.. It always seems like that caps are raffles or for a very limited run.. and I miss it entirely. No idea how to buy these suckers because they are always sold out.
Depends what caps you are looking for. Raffles shouldn't be to hard to get into if you try a few times, just make sure to watch the dates at each artisan-thread. After-market is def the easiest way to get in but also the most costly.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #16130 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 01:16:41 »
Are there any reliable taobao agents on GH anymore?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16131 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 01:17:58 »

why not just use a reputable service instead

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #16132 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 01:22:33 »

why not just use a reputable service instead
There used to be quite a few people who would be agents on here. I'll use an actual agent service but I liked using people in the community

Offline GeneriksGiraffe

• Living the Rubber Life
« Reply #16133 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 14:34:46 »
How do I switch the Control Key and the Caps Lock Key on my Realforce 87U? I flipped the dip switch and nothing happened. I also tried restarting my computer but that didn't work either. What do I do?
'
SOMEONE PLEASE SELL/TRADE ME AN HHKB PRO 1

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #16134 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 16:21:46 »
How do I switch the Control Key and the Caps Lock Key on my Realforce 87U? I flipped the dip switch and nothing happened. I also tried restarting my computer but that didn't work either. What do I do?
'

I do not own a RF but iirc, You have to flip the dip switch when disconnected from the computer and reconnect 15 seconds later or else it won't work.
I could be wrong though. :)

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16135 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 00:19:18 »
'

I do not own a RF but iirc, You have to flip the dip switch when disconnected from the computer and reconnect 15 seconds later or else it won't work.

not sure about the time requirement, but you definitely need to have it disconnected while you flip the switches

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #16136 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 00:33:21 »
'

not sure about the time requirement, but you definitely need to have it disconnected while you flip the switches

yea haha, it says that on my Ducky's User manual but I've never actually followed it lol

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16137 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 00:37:08 »
'

yea haha, it says that on my Ducky's User manual but I've never actually followed it lol

i bet the people that wrote that probably safely disconnect their USB storage devices in windows before disconnecting them too

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #16138 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 00:41:11 »
'

i bet the people that wrote that probably safely disconnect their USB storage devices in windows before disconnecting them too

lmao probably
they probably also hand polish their USBs before they plug it in

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline hehe13

« Reply #16139 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 11:33:19 »
In Bootmapper Client, RGB mode cycles through the 3 colors of my choice, to rainbow, and then OFF. What does the LED Mode does? It does not make any changes in my LED when I try it.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16140 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 11:46:49 »
In Bootmapper Client, RGB mode cycles through the 3 colors of my choice, to rainbow, and then OFF. What does the LED Mode does? It does not make any changes in my LED when I try it.

Your bootmapper client may support it, but your board itself may not. What PCB are you trying to flash?

Offline Norz

« Reply #16141 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 17:04:32 »
Alright guys, let's say I need:

Full size, Swiss layout, high end mechanical keyboard, with MX Red switches available. Something like a K95 RGB Platinum, but that would offer MX Red, or even MX Silent (which Corsair doesn't offer with their K95 RGB Platinum). I want it to have a solid/metal feel, some extra macro buttons would be a plus (but can do without), and I don't need fancy lightning (although I don't mind having it). What comes to mind ?

While I'm at it (i'm sure it's been discussed many times so sorry in advance), how do the MX Silent feel compared to the MX Red ?

Thanks in advance!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16142 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 03:20:04 »
GMK Uniqey

Offline Norz

« Reply #16143 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 05:19:07 »
GMK Uniqey

Looks pretty good, but some true Swiss/CH layout would be even better. Also I know I said "high end" but actually, 200 euros top would be nice lol.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #16144 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 07:40:01 »
GMK Uniqey

+1

Get the UNIQEY

If you want silence, you can add the gmk UNIQEY silent clips.

Offline hehe13

« Reply #16145 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 10:09:44 »

Your bootmapper client may support it, but your board itself may not. What PCB are you trying to flash?

This is probably the best response I got.

i have a GSX96.

Another question, whats the difference between the two set of macros, quick and custom, other than the character limits?

Offline Forvitni

« Reply #16146 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 12:38:57 »
Hello everyone!

So I am on the hunt for a higher end keyboard with a specific layout request. I really enjoy the shorter space-bar and larger alt keys seen on modern day laptop style keyboards. Does anything like this exist?

Thanks!

Offline menuhin

« Reply #16147 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 12:47:18 »
Simple question:

How much should I expect to pay if I want to re-anodize a 60% keyboard to my desired color in Germany or other nearby European countries?
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #16148 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 01:16:14 »
Isn't there a mechanical keyboard that is wireless and has a trackpad? I thought I saw one of these a while ago but can't find it. Looking for something like that. Preferably TKL or 68%.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline manna

« Reply #16149 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 14:36:50 »
Does the Novatouch pcb fit inside the Realforce tkl case (stock plastic one)?