Author Topic: A Geek with a Hacksaw  (Read 7861 times)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
A Geek with a Hacksaw
« on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 18:59:25 »
Ages ago Kishy shipped me a de-capped keyboard for parts. I kept the key switches and on a hunch, kept the plate they were mounted in. The length of the spacebar is going to be a problem. I don't have any caps that long.

Figure 1

I've seen a few wood mods recently. Since I didn't take photos or keep my first 'steampunk" keyboard, I thought a wooden mod would make a nice thread.
 The first step was to cut off the numpad. Oops, that wasn't quite good enough for the cutting board I've selected. Cut off the next key group, too.

Figure 2

That's more like it. But without an external cluster of keys, I'll have to put at Minimum a set of cursor arrows, most likely in the lower right.

Figure 3

Then I started on the markup for the cutout. The lazy ass way to begin was to use the plate as a stencil, and then add 3mm all around. Maybe it's time to put up the project until I have more detail orientation.

Figure 4

The scraps don't look half bad. I can make a numpad, and the other key grouping looks like a candidate for the center of my Kinesis mod. The double shots are care of spolia optima. You guys rock.

Figure 5

More to come.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.