Author Topic: Marijuana, It's probably Fine..  (Read 45651 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Marijuana, It's probably Fine..
« on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 14:30:41 »
205900-0

If we look at the dopamine curve generated by THC..

it's not significantly different Peak+Duration vs Alcohol ~200% /Coffee ~200% /Nicotine ~200% /Secs ~200%

So, overall... Not system-breakers like Cocaine 350%-800%,  Meth 1000-1400%++

It's definitely addicting when the lifestyle allows for it to be consumed in persistent quantities, but again, not different from alcohol/ coffee/ cigarettes..

Lower average income seems to be the only drawback,  but, we've always been aware that on average young people who drink/party/smoke have a reduced life-outlook.

Pretty straight forward, if you get high, you're not going to be good AT WURK..

205898-1

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: Marijuana, It's probably Fine..
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 15:01:20 »
Maybe you are the drug dealer after all? The plot thickens.
Very busy with studies atm.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 15:03:01 »

Hahahahahahahhaahahhaa....

No, Tp4 straight..  only eats rice and watermelon..

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 15:10:54 »

I thicken plot with starch

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 16:40:51 »

I thicken plot with starch
starch = THICC
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 17:04:20 »
I strongly believe tp would greatly benefit from a 5g mushroom experience in total dark and silence. It would help open your eyes a little, gain empathy, and be more in-tune rather than hiding away frightened.

Weed is a demotivator, it might just make you depressed.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 05:58:08 »
TP4 stay away from the devils lettuce.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 06:27:44 »
What's the bottom scale of that graph, number of days or times you smoked?  If so I'm impressed anyone put themself other than <100 ("I didn't/don't smoke often") and 400+ ("I smoke(d) a lot")

Looks like I'm in the top 2% of former smokers, I wonder what I could have achieved and how much happier I might be today if I had had better luck and avoided it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 09:30:57 »
What's the bottom scale of that graph, number of days or times you smoked?  If so I'm impressed anyone put themself other than <100 ("I didn't/don't smoke often") and 400+ ("I smoke(d) a lot")

Looks like I'm in the top 2% of former smokers, I wonder what I could have achieved and how much happier I might be today if I had had better luck and avoided it.

Total Usage between ages 14-21

Never used
1-99 times total               (less than 1x per month between ages 14-21)
100-199 times total etc..  (less than 2x per month between ages 14-21)

So it's separating casual / chronic users  , spread across the Period ages being studied

The 400+ people are the chronics,   and to the left are the decreasing frequency...

It just simply illustrates that more use = less overall earning.

An important take-away is also that,  EVEN once per month has a non-trivial impact.

The marijuana is not a direct cause.. but, the trend is pretty clear.. You have to choose a team here, 1 team is clearly better.. hahahaha

Honestly..  It's weird that society has to have this discussion ALL OVER AGAIN, i mean we just BARELY finished kickn' off cigarettes..   And now we've relapsed into marijuana.. hahahaha..

Is there a difference in harm yes,   but the psychoactive dampening is equivalent,   so well, big pharma and marlboro is gonna have a field day..

Best call your hedgefund managers... you know what to do.. !!

Offline duckboi

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 09:47:57 »
I refuse to believe that tp4 makes these threads while NOT on marijuana  :))
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 09:49:18 »

Tp4 straight.. only eats Rice + Watermelon.. !!!

Marijuana is here to stay, they can't take it away now, we'd have too many riots.. and not enough cops..

Opium for the Masses....  hahahaha

Sigh...  This is going to hit the poorer-peeps quite badly though..  Still better than obesity ,  if anything marijuana should counter obesity to some extent, as they divert funds from junk-food to drugs..

Taken all together,  it's a huge impediment to   buying a book and having time to read it..

So..

I keep wondering if this is a Republican plot to protract american low-income classes in generating blue collar labor,  instead of relying on import labor..

Hahahhaahahha

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 15:56:04 »

well at least he made that graph while he was on something

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 16:48:41 »
I keep wondering if this is a Republican plot to protract american low-income classes in generating blue collar labor,  instead of relying on import labor.
[/color][/size]

That would make sense if it wasn't the Republican party that was busy painting weed as worse than opiates and crack. The states that have passed legal marijuana laws so far have done so largely with support from Democrats and independents.

On the addiction point, practically anything that causes a dopamine spike (in other words, is pleasurable) can be addictive. There are two types of addiction--addiction to due disturbed psyche (you feel your life sucks and you have a lot of demons, and then something that is SO GOOD enters your life and you get sucked into it and can't break free) and the more clinical dependence/risk-taking/decreasing reward addiction (typically seen with substances like booze, cigarettes, cocaine, heroine--stuff that not only makes you feel good, but substantially alters your body in a way that it needs the substance to behave normally. Like a crack addict crashing when not high, or a heroine addict's nervous system activity spiking when sober and wreaking havoc on their body).

Sadly, both types tend to be found in individuals with a history of mental illness, who are prone to self medicating. This is where drugs in particular get REALLY nasty, as even mental illnesses without a substantial risk of increased violence can be affected by addiction in such a way that violence is far more likely. That said, that's not too substantially different from individuals who aren't mentally ill on the same drugs. It's just that it's far more visible in the mentally ill, because it can make them do really freaky, disturbing things rather than purely being more aggressive.

For the record, I'm for legalizing weed, but I personally won't use it. There's no real argument against using weed that you can't use against alcohol or cigarettes. Even the "it won't get rid of dealers" argument is bunk, because when prohibition was repealed people still continued to make moonshine and try to sell/drink denatured alcohol. In fact, name any business that is regulated and you will find someone performing it without the right qualifications/license and hurting people. The big difference is that with weed legal, there will be a safer alternative.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 17:05:56 »
I can say for absolute fact that it drastically hurts street dealers who move only marijuana. In fact many dealers simply buy from the weed store then repackage it as something else with a markup, or at least they did for a while until business totally dies out. The only non-legal marijuana only dealers that still operate do personal delivery, it is the only thing keeping that industry alive right now. Once legalization is nation-wide they will cease to exist completely as there will be nothing they can offer over a legal storefront with a delivery service.

The only real danger is losing that customer base and income source forces most dealers to turn to heavier regulated substances like meth and heroine. Although the proof is in the decades of pudding served up by countries with decriminalization, as every single one of them have drastically lower addiction rates of the harder substances.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 09:51:38 »
 It's almost like the graph shows that people who clearly have a undermining relationship with rules/laws, don't really care about submission to the machine status quo?

I'm not against it or legalization, but I'm not for chronic use.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 18:55:46 »
It's almost like the graph shows that people who clearly have a undermining relationship with rules/laws, don't really care about submission to the machine status quo?

A small part sure.. But, marijuana and lethargy goes hand in hand.. it comes with the territory..

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 20:38:51 »

Yes. Tobacco is from satan

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 21:31:19 »

Yes. Tobacco is from satan

All marijuana enthusiasts understand the analogy where smoking cigarettes is the same as putting one's mouth up to a car's exhaust pipe.

And yet,  when it comes to their own combustion smoke ,  suddenly, they think it cures cancer..

It's a good thing vap is fixing this along with edibles.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 09:33:16 »
They're making weed available on the NHS starting in November it'll be interesting to see what happens. The Irish government have been making rumblings that they might do a referendum on legalising it for medicinal purposes for the last couple of years. It makes sense of cancer patients, people with siezures, arthritis sufferers etc. Maybe if they prevent doctors prescribing it to every patient that walks through the door it'll stop the place getting flooded with cheap and available weed because a lot of Irish people aren't that good with moderation.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 11:50:38 »
They're making weed available on the NHS starting in November it'll be interesting to see what happens. The Irish government have been making rumblings that they might do a referendum on legalising it for medicinal purposes for the last couple of years. It makes sense of cancer patients, people with siezures, arthritis sufferers etc. Maybe if they prevent doctors prescribing it to every patient that walks through the door it'll stop the place getting flooded with cheap and available weed because a lot of Irish people aren't that good with moderation.

There is a mistaken belief that one can pick things up and put them down,  that somehow some-people are immune to addiction..

That is ridiculous, while exceptions exist,  the vast majority of all people of all race haves the SAME hedonic pathway and system, they are equally likely to become addicts..

Addiction is no worse for the irish.. 

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 15:46:38 »
Huge difference between mental/emotional and physical/body addiction. Night and day in every way.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 09:35:44 »

A small part sure.. But, marijuana and lethargy goes hand in hand.. it comes with the territory..

Consumption is generally not measured to the degree other things are; think of when one might get too much caffeine. Or even when drinking alcohol, at the "buzz" point you're certainly able to use most if not all of your motorskills (do not ****ing drive.).

I definitely think it there is an overkill threshold that people meet more so than general lethargy(though there is to a degree no matter what); I know plenty of people who like to exercise/art/clean while stoned. I still side with that lethargic people are going to be lethargic. Most of my opinions are going to be blame the user in any case, instead of the object.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 12:48:12 »

Consumption is generally not measured to the degree other things are; think of when one might get too much caffeine. Or even when drinking alcohol, at the "buzz" point you're certainly able to use most if not all of your motorskills (do not ****ing drive.).

I definitely think it there is an overkill threshold that people meet more so than general lethargy(though there is to a degree no matter what); I know plenty of people who like to exercise/art/clean while stoned. I still side with that lethargic people are going to be lethargic. Most of my opinions are going to be blame the user in any case, instead of the object.

Well, ur looking for those exceptions to support an argument,  when there IS NO argument.

The statistics are already there, more smoke = do less..

The only drugs that have proven to boost general productivity is Controlled release Methylphenidate (Ritalin) and Amphetamines (Adderall)..  All of them designed to give a sustained high, by squeezing dopamine re-uptake..

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 18:49:48 »
There is no argument; like you say. I'm only conversing.

Where are these statistics from? It's not noted on your graph. Not necessarily calling bs; but wouldn't you say in any case exceptions, or outliers modify mean results in anything?

My points are these; lazy people are lazy on anything and that people who disobey or are loose with laws and regs, are generally not going to submit to the neurotypical mindset status quo of paper chasing.

Ritalin etc, are for that exact purpose. To submit people into that general mindset. Hence, why lots of non-adhd persons desire it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 19:06:47 »
Where are these statistics from? It's not noted on your graph.

pretty sure tp made that graph himself in Excel or something

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 07:06:44 »
TP4 likes to discuss drugs. I doubt he has ever tried them though, it might change his perspective.

I've only used the devils lettuce in my early twenties - never had the desire to try anything else.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 09:31:58 »
TP4 likes to discuss drugs. I doubt he has ever tried them though, it might change his perspective.

I've only used the devils lettuce in my early twenties - never had the desire to try anything else.

You wound me sir.. !!

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 10:06:58 »

Must be the mystery behind the veil. I feel like psychedelics would go hand in hand with his vegan tendies

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 11:46:52 »

You wound me sir.. !!

Show Image

I am sorry TP4, that was not my intention.

Must be the mystery behind the veil. I feel like psychedelics would go hand in hand with his vegan tendies
Normally I'd say definitely. But he doesn't seem like that type to me. :D Has an apartment/a house full of computers and servers and whatnot. Not to mention all his other electrical toys he keeps talking about having purchased. :D Just doesn't seem like the hippie type.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:09:13 »
hahaha, right.

Though I don't think it's a prerequisite just a stereotype. Isn't microdosing lsd/shrooms a pretty silicon valley thing?

There you go TP, there's your excuse; to think more creatively about your problem solving. Maybe then you can get behind the smoke = less monies problem.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:14:26 »
hahaha, right.

Though I don't think it's a prerequisite just a stereotype. Isn't microdosing lsd/shrooms a pretty silicon valley thing?

There you go TP, there's your excuse; to think more creatively about your problem solving. Maybe then you can get behind the smoke = less monies problem.
Definitely a stereotype. :D

I didn't know that was a silicon valley thing, man those nerds know how to party.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:16:37 »
hahaha, right.

I didn't know that was a silicon valley thing, man those nerds know how to party.

I tried watching that show.. got through 3 episodes,  but the portrayal felt a little distasteful..

Not sure if it was the acting or the script..

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:26:21 »
hahaha, right.

I tried watching that show.. got through 3 episodes,  but the portrayal felt a little distasteful..

Not sure if it was the acting or the script..

I enjoyed the show, it made me cringe and frustrated at times however; but I think the frustration and cringiness is deliberate.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 15:34:55 »
haven't tried it but have heard microdosing psilocybin can do great things for both atrophied mind/bored brain and depression.

In fact that is the next push after marijuana legalization, since there are obvious benefits to psilocybin. Already proven through many elder case studies showing it can stave off dementia and increase brain plasticity in older people. It's the next big thing.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 20:47:16 »
Just take a heroic dose of shrooms or blast off into hyperspace, instant cure for depression lol.

Although alot of that has to do with mindset going in as well as proper handling of the setting etc.

Really interested in seeing a world where that that kind of stuff is ubiquitous with mental healthcare, since it can cause a large degree of openness and acceptance generally.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 21:26:39 »
Tp4 just watched a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop..

Now Tp4 really wants to smoke cigarettes..

Offline JP

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 14:27:47 »
Yes, it's really cool!

Cigarettes, Cowboy Bebop, or both?
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 04:59:02 »
Yes, it's really cool!

Cigarettes, Cowboy Bebop, or both?

I think it's time we blow this scene

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 02:40:09 »
Now we know TP likes to smoke...
What's next? TP eating big fat steak?  :eek:
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 03:29:27 »
Tp4 just watched a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop..

Now Tp4 really wants to smoke cigarettes..

Same thing happened to me when I was 18 and I watched Breaking Bad for the first time. Jesse Pinkman's smoking habit made me go out and buy a pack of cigs. Been smoking on and off ever since...

I blame the media...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 03:47:38 »
Now we know TP likes to smoke...
What's next? TP eating big fat steak?  :eek:

LOL, if it weren't bad for one's health, Tp4 would do both @ the same time.

In terms of health risk, eating 1 egg a day is equivalent of smoking 5 cigarettes a day.

Sooooo.... /Noooop 4 Tp.

Offline yui

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 04:18:23 »
i am wondering if tp's watermelons are the same as everyone else's, seems that they have strange properties. you sure those are not THC producing ones? or do they have mushrooms in them?
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 04:22:35 »
i am wondering if tp's watermelons are the same as everyone else's, seems that they have strange properties. you sure those are not THC producing ones? or do they have mushrooms in them?

Tp4 only eats the $5 watermelons from Costco, like everyone else.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 07:08:23 »
Makes sense TP4 am pot head :p .

Never really saw the point of it tbh, it's legal here, so about as interesting as vitamin C, except more smelly :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 07:12:41 »

Never really saw the point of it tbh, it's legal here, so about as interesting as vitamin C, except more smelly :p .

/headscratch   Tp4 dn' do Dr000gs.

Offline phinix

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 10:12:42 »

So, in general, does a lot of people actually smoke Mary Jane there?
As much as drinking alcohol for example?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 17:05:29 »

It's fantastic as a demotivator when you genuinely have nothing to do but feel guilty not doing anything. Weed gets rid of that guilty feeling of idle hands, it's perfect for lock down times.

I'm not gonna feed you some bs line about how it creativity charges you or makes things more interesting, because it doesn't. It does have a negative long term impact on clarity of thought and motivation. When I stop smoking for a few days I can feel my brain 'waking up.' It also prevents me from dreaming during sleep dead stop, but I dunno if that's a universal effect. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 20:44:37 »

When I stop smoking for a few days I can feel my brain 'waking up.'

Quite a compelling argument for use.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline phinix

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 02:24:04 »

It's fantastic as a demotivator when you genuinely have nothing to do but feel guilty not doing anything. Weed gets rid of that guilty feeling of idle hands, it's perfect for lock down times.

I'm not gonna feed you some bs line about how it creativity charges you or makes things more interesting, because it doesn't. It does have a negative long term impact on clarity of thought and motivation. When I stop smoking for a few days I can feel my brain 'waking up.' It also prevents me from dreaming during sleep dead stop, but I dunno if that's a universal effect.

Not dreaming sounds right - as you go to full- deep sleep, so no dreams:) Its like a full reset of your brain. Falling a sleep in one position, then waking up is same position after 8 hours of deep sleep :)

How are your pains? Do you for example feel some pain before you smoke, then once baked, you still feel it but not as pain, but some kind of strain or fatigue?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 09:29:22 »
Not dreaming sounds right - as you go to full- deep sleep, so no dreams:) Its like a full reset of your brain. Falling a sleep in one position, then waking up is same position after 8 hours of deep sleep :)

How are your pains? Do you for example feel some pain before you smoke, then once baked, you still feel it but not as pain, but some kind of strain or fatigue?

In neurosci, dreams are generally interpreted as sorting short(mid)-term memory into long term storage.

So the normal case is, if a person is not learning much or at all, anything new, during his waking hours, he will not experience noticeable dream states.

So there could be many different cases of how marijuana prevents dreaming.

It can, Prevent dreams by disrupting brain chemistry such that long term sorting is prevented.

It can, sedate the person enough such that he does very little throughout the day such that not many new experiences/memories are formed.

The depth of the sleep state is not what prevents dreaming, humans naturally cycle through multiple sleep states every night.

This subject has not been rigorously studied.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 13:42:33 »
It never caused me not to dream, actually ramped up the dreams I had.  For me I'd rather smoke than have to take alot of the crap I do for pain.  From my experience it has aided in my focus much like most ADD/ADHD meds do, but again different strains have different effects on people.  It's not all the same universal outcome for every person that uses.  Only reason why I don't smoke/partake now is due to work testing for it, but I can be hopped up on my painkillers and it's ok to them (I passed my drug screenings with prescribed high dosage opiates in my system - have spinal damage thanks to a car accident I had at 21). 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 18:38:02 »
What about CBD?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 19:19:22 »
What about CBD?

The british beat up china in the opium war. Lesser known but the forbes family of chicago was the opium king of america and also heavily involved.   Now, flip side, there is a huge foreign (mainly russian and golden-triangle) investment influx into american marijuana.

Sigh..  in the end this is good for no one.  but it's worse for america, because the average productivity of a pot-head is extremely low.  Those high functioning elite pot-heads are the exception. Statistically the vast majority of early life marijuana users turn into dropouts and riff-raffs.

Economically it's honestly better we have more cigarette addicts than potheads.

If anyone doesn't see the historical parallel, best of luck.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 19:33:43 »
do you really believe that old rhetoric or are you just playing devil's advocate?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 20:14:49 »

Statistically the vast majority of early life marijuana users turn into dropouts

I would certainly argue with the word "vast" but this is one of the rare occasions that I agree with TP4.

Very glad that I didn't get high until my 21st year, and wish that it had been later  ....
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 21:17:15 »
do you really believe that old rhetoric or are you just playing devil's advocate?

I think many people get hung up on the argument as if people who choose certain lifestyles are bad people.

That is not the heart of the issue.  In the list of probable outcomes,  certain choices strengthen less favorable life prospects.

They are not bad people, they are victims.   In most cases one could say the option to ingest mind altering chemicals should not exist for anyone, especially youth.

Certain age groups tend to comingle.   If we look at the majority of popular proponents for legalization, it's mainly young people 20 somethings and 30 somethings.   These people are at high exposure with even younger counterparts.   This will naturally expose substances down the social hierarchy.

This worked for the proliferation of cigarettes why not pot.    This process has been demonstrated and we've gone through it already.  It will not provide economic benefit in the long run, and will only widen the wealth gap as the poor disproportionately short-sight their pleasure over long term investments.

Offline icrchi

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 05:42:26 »

wait chyros does drugs??
aka u/iCrafterChips

Offline Sniping

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 11:48:39 »
What about CBD?

The british beat up china in the opium war. Lesser known but the forbes family of chicago was the opium king of america and also heavily involved.   Now, flip side, there is a huge foreign (mainly russian and golden-triangle) investment influx into american marijuana.

Sigh..  in the end this is good for no one.  but it's worse for america, because the average productivity of a pot-head is extremely low.  Those high functioning elite pot-heads are the exception. Statistically the vast majority of early life marijuana users turn into dropouts and riff-raffs.

Economically it's honestly better we have more cigarette addicts than potheads.

If anyone doesn't see the historical parallel, best of luck.

hmm...weed isn't that addictive, but the lifestyle and usage can eventually become addictive, and weed addiction is definitely real and i'd say it's pretty bad. most people can catch themselves before they make it too far down the rabbit hole. but if it gets to the point where their productivity is markedly affected, i feel like that person would've been unproductive regardless of the pastime, whether it's weed, drinking, gaming etc. what i'm saying is that people who aren't very productive are not going to be very productive regardless of what they're wasting their time on. the statistic you're talking about doesn't imply causation, it's pretty flawed because you're probably somewhat of a delinquent if you have access to marijuana in early life. just like your thread title, it's probably fine...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 13:47:59 »
Honestly the exact same can be said about underage kids who smoke cigarettes. They were, in my experience, almost always trouble makers or slackers.
So it's not the cannabis per se I don't believe.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 18:21:57 »
Honestly the exact same can be said about underage kids who smoke cigarettes. They were, in my experience, almost always trouble makers or slackers.

They're both not good.   neuro development does not complete until ~ age 25.

Imagine installing windows, and the the CPU is hit by enough system interrupts such that it copies the wrong code to disk.

SOME systems might come out ok if the damage is fringe code,  but others can end up inoperable.

During OS-Installation, Tp4 always underclocks the CPU and makes sure the minimum amount of components are connected as well as disabling non-essential motherboard functions .

Offline yui

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 03:45:37 »
During OS-Installation, Tp4 always underclocks the CPU and makes sure the minimum amount of components are connected as well as disabling non-essential motherboard functions . [/size][/color]
It is actually a pretty bad idea, overall, at installation is the best time to install drivers, if the hardware is not present it will not be detected, and under-clocking the CPU would do nothing at best or exacerbate the interrupt problem if it still existed, if your CPU is unstable at stock clock well it is time for a refund.
and the comparison does not quite hold, as computer do not continue growing once they are built, unlike animals (like us), i guess the closest thing would be to throw a bunch of metal dust in it, it may do nothing, may make it rather unstable or may outright die, but that would be at any point in the life of the machine, the CPU does not rewire itself as brains do.
so you can safely let your computer smoke pot, just do not do it yourself.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 04:28:31 »
Congrats to peeps in Arizona, New Jersey, Montana, and South Dakota on legalization!

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 05:36:29 »
Congrats to peeps in Arizona, New Jersey, Montana, and South Dakota on legalization!

Just to be clear to all the young people, the Primary benefit is DECRIMINALIZATION.

There are far too many black folks imprisoned by white supremacist fascists for marijuana possession.

If in the future, the result is more people Smoking Marijuana. That is Likely NOT a net positive.

It's like overturning the prohibition,  You legalize alcohol / cigarettes,  doesn't mean alcohol and cigarettes are suddenly healthy/good.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 06:08:03 »

Just to be clear to all the young people, the Primary benefit is DECRIMINALIZATION.

There are far too many black folks imprisoned by white supremacist fascists for marijuana possession.

If in the future, the result is more people Smoking Marijuana. That is Likely NOT a net positive.

It's like overturning the prohibition,  You legalize alcohol / cigarettes,  doesn't mean alcohol and cigarettes are suddenly healthy/good.

The positive is tons and tons of money for local government, producers, and private business owners. Moot shots everywhere, many new jobs in both the retail and scientific sectors. Nothing but great for local economies.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 06:45:57 »
The positive is tons and tons of money for local government, producers, and private business owners. Moot shots everywhere, many new jobs in both the retail and scientific sectors. Nothing but great for local economies.

That is extremely unlikely.  The cost of production is extremely low. You throw some mechanization in there, robotic trimmers. they can go 24/7, you won't even have to hire trimmers. The job market will not receive a boost from marijuana in the long term.

In terms of tax dollars, You might get a boost in the short term, but the health and mental decline associated with increased marijuana use is more likely to tank the economy, reduce overall tax collected.

It's what happens in big casino towns, they're dreadful places to live in, and gangsters eventually dominate local politics and hurt the community.

ALL the local money is picked up by the Casino, given time they funnel that overseas instead of paying the local government.  Minus the bribery of a few local officials, the area is economically broken, crime laden, and impoverished.

What AMERICA needs is Detroid Auto to come back,  NOT opium plantations.

TSLA only goes UP

Offline yui

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 10:00:54 »

well to be honest i had 2 friends who started smoking marijuana only because it is illegal, and doing illegal things is cool, so maybe it could even lower usage...

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 10:04:22 »
well to be honest i had 2 friends who started smoking marijuana only because it is illegal, and doing illegal things is cool, so maybe it could even lower usage...

It's a multi-prong problem.   We need better public education. Real drug education, not scare tactics.

Offline tacomn

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 11:24:12 »
I don't smoke weed, I am not some ****ing degenerate...... I only smoke Dmt and drop Lsd on the reg like every other massively successful person. :thumb: 
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2020, 12:27:30 by tacomn »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 12:03:55 »
Oregon is just a ticket for smoking crack now? tp4 moving.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 12:47:14 »

Nah, it's a short stones throw to selling crack, and that's still illegal.  And that's really the only area Tp would be interested in.

Section 11.ORS 475.752 is amended to read:(1) Except as authorized by ORS 475.005 to 475.285 and 475.752 to 475.980, it is unlawful for any person to manufacture or deliver a controlled substance.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 13:26:08 »
I think Oregon just legalized small amounts of heroin and coke... also, maybe mushrooms some place legalized mushrooms I just don't know where.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 14:54:17 »
I think Oregon just legalized small amounts of heroin and coke... also, maybe mushrooms some place legalized mushrooms I just don't know where.

They legalized it in that you get a fine instead of a felony for possession of small quantities. It is still illegal to manufacture and distribute.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 15:11:00 »

Oregon is just Florida for crazy people who don't like hot weather

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 15:01:22 »
They were gonna legalize it in NY but they wimped out at the last second. Now I have to go to New Jersey to get boofed and yeeted.  :-[

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 09:34:24 »
A big part of me misses living in MA for the reason of legalization - also being able to go to a beach every day after work to relax and walk my doggos, GA is backwards on this aspect - but they are very slowly coming around (more of it is the guard is slowly changing). 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 18:51:44 »

I wish I lived in a state where weed is legalized

Huh? Profile says that you live in Vancouver.

Although I enjoyed it a lot for many years, many years ago, at this late date in my lifetime it induces more anxiety than euphoria. I miss what I once enjoyed, and assume that it will never be the same again. Funny how that happens, since today's high is an order of magnitude more intense than it was in the 1970s (and 1980s).

Offline NoteMakoti

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 19:34:57 »

Although I enjoyed it a lot for many years, many years ago, at this late date in my lifetime it induces more anxiety than euphoria. I miss what I once enjoyed, and assume that it will never be the same again. Funny how that happens, since today's high is an order of magnitude more intense than it was in the 1970s (and 1980s).
You can still find mids if you go looking. Low-THC carts are great if you want to take it slow.

(I feel like the bad kid in an after school special here.)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 19:54:20 »

I've occasionally smoked with my dad who is an ex-hippie. You got to be super careful with these people who haven't smoked in decades because not only is their tolerance non-existent, but stuff is VASTLY more potent these days. The absolute best **** you could score in the '70s is almost like the stuff they throw away today. Feed an old head modern top shelf and that is the end of their day, don't expect them to move or be functional at all. When my dad first smoked something modern it hit him so hard he couldn't move and was convinced I'd poisoned him somehow. Last time he handled it much better with his wife there we went for a hike then they took a nap in the sun, it was nice. On their own they experimented recently with edibles before long plane rides and seem to enjoy that form of intake very much.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 20:18:17 »

we went for a hike

experimented recently with edibles

Twice in the last year I did it on a hike in the mountains, and that was about the best way to go. Those were the only times I have done it at all in the last 10-15 years.

Even back in the day I often prepared "edibles" for concerts and such, even before it was "a thing" .... That was the only way to realistically control it and stretch it out.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 20:37:06 »

we went for a hike

experimented recently with edibles

Twice in the last year I did it on a hike in the mountains, and that was about the best way to go. Those were the only times I have done it at all in the last 10-15 years.

Even back in the day I often prepared "edibles" for concerts and such, even before it was "a thing" .... That was the only way to realistically control it and stretch it out.

I say go for it! Order in some food, cozy up with the missus. Could make for a fun weekend.

Offline phinix

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 04:09:09 »
I only hope that now when UK left EU, they could legalise it here.

Offline Owl

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 01:57:24 »
Some people are more addicted to money, careers and being "successful", whatever that means, than just about any substance out there. To say that drugs of any kind are an indication of a lower quality of life is to assume that (1) people should conform to a certain standard of life and (2) that exposure to substances results in a different lifestyle and not the other way around and (3) that there isn't a demonstrable sample of the upper class that misuse drugs on a VERY similar scale, just different mediums. Western culture is so devoid of any kind of macroscopic thinking or spiritual discovery that you have people who have no idea how to achieve these alternative perspectives and misuse the tools; Drugs. And on the other side of the same coin, you have people who think that the very act of trying to develop a different perspective with the help of substances is some kind of death sentence in an absolutely absurd and trivial game of "who can have the best life". Graphs, charts, and data isn't going to help the West figure out how to properly manage tools for alternative perspectives without hurting themselves or, at the very least, starting just another vicious cycle of confusion in their attempt to escape society or culture. What we need is a better foundation for how we view the games we play in society so that people no longer feel held captive by it. The very notion of needing to have a career or life unhindered by drug use is the very catalyst of drug use. This is like telling people that the more money you have the better and then being surprised when greed overthrows virtue.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 01:36:11 »

Wingnut Dishwasher's Union - My Idea of Fun
One of my favorite songs ;)   

Offline Owl

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 02:38:38 »

Wingnut Dishwasher's Union - My Idea of Fun
One of my favorite songs ;)   

****ing love this. Big Ramshackle Glory fan too.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 03:03:08 »
I'll check this one out

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 09:47:18 »
I only hope that now when UK left EU, they could legalise it here.

Well, I hope that now the UK is gone, they will finally legalize in here in the EU ;)

But I'm afraid neither UK nor EU will legalize it until it is fully legal on a federal level in the US. None of our spineless politicians would want to risk their careers going against Uncle Sam.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 20:53:59 »

until it is fully legal on a federal level in the US.

Big Tobacco and Big Pharma are irritated that little guys are doing end runs, and until they figure out how to collect their tribute they will continue to command their Republican minions in Congress (and the courts) to derail every effort at legalization.

Offline yui

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 05:28:30 »
i do think that either all mind altering drugs should be banned or regulated or legalized, no exception for alcohol and tobacco, the current state of it pretty much everywhere in the world is just ridiculous. (to be honest i do not smoke or drink or partake in any drugs, but i would not mind seeing them legalized, although somewhat regulated)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 13:02:53 »
I'd like to see hallucinogens legalized down the road. It would impact basically nothing negatively, no one does LSD on a daily biases.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 07:47:01 »
I'd like to see hallucinogens legalized down the road. It would impact basically nothing negatively, no one does LSD on a daily biases.
No sane person does, lol.

Offline NoteMakoti

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 16:06:00 »
Definitely ecstacy, it probably shouldn't have been banned to begin with.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 16:18:00 »

I thought it has a high probability of causing death/ heart attack.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 21:59:13 »

It permanently affects your serotonin level, long-term users become permanently depressed due to their glands no longer working from previous overproduction. Not something you wanna mess with.

Offline yui

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 02:53:09 »

It permanently affects your serotonin level, long-term users become permanently depressed due to their glands no longer working from previous overproduction. Not something you wanna mess with.
hey pretty much like all anti depressant, isn't it? causes death, highly addictive and cause depression when you stop taking it

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 08:00:03 »

hey pretty much like all anti depressant, isn't it? causes death, highly addictive and cause depression when you stop taking it

Yup.. Eat veggies, they is natural antidepressant.

Offline yui

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 09:23:21 »
well even though veggies and fruits account for about 90% of my daily food intake (when my food intake is more than 1 apple), still ain't working mate...

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 08:53:32 »

Yup.. Eat veggies, they is natural antidepressant.

People liking vegetables is the most depressing thing in the universe. How can you guys stand eating all that grass and ****?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 08:58:40 »

How can you guys stand eating all that grass and ****?

I am reminded of a quote from a modern-day "cowboy" attending a conference on food production. He was leaving a symposium on vegetables and a reporter was getting comments at the door.

"Vegetables ain't food, vegetables is what food eats."

Offline yui

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 09:20:30 »
how to completely derail a thread, put TP on vegetables :)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 09:22:09 »
how to completely derail a thread, put TP on vegetables :)

We all knew it would happen eventually, lol.

Offline yui

« Reply #100 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 09:26:39 »
although now the question is, is Marijuana a vegetable? :) and if so would TP stance on it would change?

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 10:01:11 »
It is a plant of many uses.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 10:04:25 »
although now the question is, is Marijuana a vegetable? :) and if so would TP stance on it would change?

Strategically marijuana proliferation is among the dumbest things that's affected america.

Everything costs something. The cost of marijuana is TIME and Productivity. You take a regular human being, dope him up, see how well he works.  This is only going to acclerate the decline of american excellence.

The only argument for marijuana is if we say, well you have to create this blue collar workforce somehow. As statistically most kids who do weed before highschool end up dropouts.

Tp4 is not convinced this blue collar human workforce is necessary given what automation and AI is becoming.  This ploy is far more likely to be a net loss in competitiveness of american businesses.

Offline DELLA KEY

• Formerly 'AFA STUDIO'
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 21:12:17 »
I'm a country where marijuana is banned, but it must be a really fascinating product... I definitely want to experience it.  :eek:
But I saw that analysis very well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 April 2021, 21:13:56 by AFA STUDIO »

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 01:51:45 »

They're both not good.   neuro development does not complete until ~ age 25.

Imagine installing windows, and the the CPU is hit by enough system interrupts such that it copies the wrong code to disk.

SOME systems might come out ok if the damage is fringe code,  but others can end up inoperable.

During OS-Installation, Tp4 always underclocks the CPU and makes sure the minimum amount of components are connected as well as disabling non-essential motherboard functions .

That's not how interrupts work. And OS installs for all modern versions of Windows, OSX, almost all Linux and BSD distros verify file integrity via checksums. Interrupts are workload driven as well, so an underclocked CPU is just going to handle the interrupts slower, so the overall level of CPU contention is going to remain the same.

Anyway, I didn't smoke pot regularly until my mid 20s, so I can't really talk about any effects it would have had on me if I had started younger, but it's never impacted my ability to hold down a white collar job in a competitive industry.

Offline yui

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 01:53:41 »
frankly all the peoples i know/knew who took marijuana did it because it was illegal just to do something illegal, i am not sure if legalization would increase the numbers, and alcohol have rather similar effects on time and productivity, so if alcohol is legal i do not see why marijuana isn't, works both way, to me both should be treated as equal.

Offline phinix

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 04:06:19 »
frankly all the peoples i know/knew who took marijuana did it because it was illegal just to do something illegal, i am not sure if legalization would increase the numbers, and alcohol have rather similar effects on time and productivity, so if alcohol is legal i do not see why marijuana isn't, works both way, to me both should be treated as equal.

Yep, I think so too.
Mary Jane having less impact on actual body, should be legalised - alcohol has bigger impact, very unhealthy, where MJ is all good for you:)

Imagine all that money form taxes etc government could gain from ligal MJ sale.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 16:45:07 »
We have more weed than anyone else here, and it's fine.

It's like you said, it's legal here, so it's not so cool for kids to get into. It's just kinda, meh. It's mostly for the tourists.

Offline NoteMakoti

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 18:14:44 »

It's like you said, it's legal here, so it's not so cool for kids to get into. It's just kinda, meh. It's mostly for the tourists.
You're gonna hit the blunt once and start seeing the world in imperial units.

Offline yui

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 03:07:48 »

is it the secret to understanding and working with those?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 04:07:27 »

is it the secret to understanding and working with those?
Yo, like, dude. Like, feet and inches, man. Like, gallons and like, pounds, dude.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 09:56:14 »
Still don't understand why 'Murica is so tied up into using "Freedom" units for measurements, Metric system is soo much easier in the long run (and more accurate).  So being that I am American, do I see in Metric instead of Imperial/Freedom units? 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 10:15:13 »
It's funny, liquid measure made the switch quickly, in certain areas, back in the 1970s when there was the first serious concerted push to change over.

I started school in 1958 and finished school in 1976, and there was talk of a changeover - in the near future - for most of that time, especially the latter part.

The actual answer is the  installed base / sunk cost  dilemma.

And as the old saying goes: "The only thing that people hate more than the status quo is change."

But to your point, yes I can think in metric measure but it takes a bit of effort.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 10:22:07 »
metric vs imp is a political debate.

Offline NoteMakoti

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 13:57:10 »
This debate is relevant to the thread, because weed is sold in ounces AND grams.  :confused:

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 13:58:24 »
the weight is all over the place on it depending.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 18:19:28 »

marijuana is not as bad as the masses are presenting it.

I don't think that anyone should be denied "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" including pretty much any form of intoxication - in the comfort and safety of his own home.

But all those people who get hammered - away from home - and then feel compelled to drive home (@ midnight when you would be sleepy anyway?) are a menace to themselves and everyone who crosses their paths.

In my opinion, a "slightly drunk" driver is probably better than a "slightly stoned" driver, but after a few more the table would tilt the other way.

Stay off the road when intoxicated. PLEASE ?

Offline phinix

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 02:37:09 »

I don't think that anyone should be denied "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" including pretty much any form of intoxication - in the comfort and safety of his own home.

But all those people who get hammered - away from home - and then feel compelled to drive home (@ midnight when you would be sleepy anyway?) are a menace to themselves and everyone who crosses their paths.

In my opinion, a "slightly drunk" driver is probably better than a "slightly stoned" driver, but after a few more the table would tilt the other way.

That's true. I cant imagine myself driving when being high. It "over exposure" all your feelings to the level where you cant do much, especially motoric behaviors are crippled.
Walking then is fun :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 13:28:00 »

That's true. I cant imagine myself driving when being high. It "over exposure" all your feelings to the level where you cant do much, especially motoric behaviors are crippled.
Walking then is fun :)

I think it really depends on the level of resistance the individual feels. Someone who smokes every day, being stoned is just like a slight shift but they function basically normally. It's not like alcohol in that respect, the effect of marijuana is reduced overall the more often a person indulges in it.
If I don't smoke for a week I get baked out of my mind and cannot function properly. I smoke everyday it does have a long-term negative cognitive impact, but the effect is nearly unnoticeable to anyone but myself.

Offline Magnoliya

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 14:37:41 »
I totally get what you're saying about politicians being spineless when it comes to legalizing cannabis. It's frustrating that so many people are still being criminalized for something that has so many potential benefits. But I'm hopeful that change is coming, especially with countries like Germany taking steps towards legalization. Speaking of legalization, have you ever been to Oklahoma? They have some of the best dispensaries in the country! I actually went there last year and was blown away by the quality and variety of products. It's amazing to see how far we've come since the days of buying weed in shady alleyways. Anyway, I hope more countries follow in Germany's footsteps and start taking cannabis seriously. It's about time we start treating it like the medicine it can be
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 April 2023, 03:44:48 by Magnoliya »

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 14:38:54 »
And what would those be, and ones that are actually true.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 15:17:25 »
This thread just keeps popping up.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 16:10:07 »
This thread just keeps popping up.

Show Image

It's the bots.

Drug use affirmation is extremely popular with the User base.

People like to hear good things about their bad habits.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 16:26:14 »

eg - the deliciousness of non-vegan food

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 11:34:30 »

I've had some delicious Vegan-fied Chocolate Cake, surprised the hell out of me - so it is possible to make something taste good w/ a vegan pallet
But again depends on the chef/baker of said goods.

Offline phinix

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 14:33:08 »
I wish they legalise it here in UK. Not gonna happen probably...
Need to move to Canada.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 14:37:04 »

I've had some delicious Vegan-fied Chocolate Cake, surprised the hell out of me - so it is possible to make something taste good w/ a vegan pallet

Vegan food can be absolutely be delicious if it's not attempting to imitate something else. It is in it's best element when doing something that showcases the fresh ingredients, as opposed to covering up or disguising them.

That's also why nothing could ever replace or beat the taste for a really good steak or burger for those who have the taste for them.
No substitute for the real thing.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 14:37:27 »

A protein is a Chain of amino-acids.  There are 22 amino acids, ALL PROTEIN is built from them.

You body does NOT digest whole proteins, if a protein is slightly misfolded or different the body can not use them. WHICH is why the body breaks ingested proteins down into amino acids before making its own proteins.

ALL amino acids originate in plants.  ANIMALS DO NOT produce Amino Acids.

Everything delicious can be made from NON-animal-sources. 

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 09:33:04 »
But I'm afraid neither UK nor EU will legalize it until it is fully legal on a federal level in the US. None of our spineless politicians would want to risk their careers going against Uncle Sam.

Maybe I'm just about to eat my words...

Apparently, the soon-to-be German government coalition is kinda serious about legalizing it. They're still pretty vague about everything, but this is probably the closest Germany has been to legalization ever since it was criminalized in the first place.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Offline clairemattockskth67

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 11:28:18 »

Apparently, the soon-to-be German government coalition is kinda serious about legalizing it. They're still pretty vague about everything, but this is probably the closest Germany has been to legalization ever since it was criminalized in the first place.

It's funny to read the title of the topic. Marijuana is good when it is used in medicine, but not in other cases. I was just writing a marijuana legalization essay in college, you can click this for more details. Every year more and more countries implement legalization. We all perfectly understand that there will be people who will use it for other purposes.

Soon legalization will be worldwide.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 August 2022, 15:16:51 by clairemattockskth67 »

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 16:48:52 »
(Attachment Link)
What does that X axis indicate? Joints smoked? Pounds of THC consumed? It's kinda important to get a frame of reference if you're trying to make a point my guy.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 17:11:32 »
::

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 17:19:05 »
__

Offline phinix

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 02:39:19 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 12:11:24 »
Today Singapore authorities hanged a man for "conspiring" to bring 1 (one) kilo of cannabis into the country. The smuggling attempt was not even successful.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/singapore-executes-man-for-trafficking-two-pounds-of-cannabis/ar-AA1alNdb

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 12:35:14 »
Today Singapore authorities hanged a man for "conspiring" to bring 1 (one) kilo of cannabis into the country. The smuggling attempt was not even successful.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/singapore-executes-man-for-trafficking-two-pounds-of-cannabis/ar-AA1alNdb

They have the absolute best drug policy in the world. Draconian, but IT WORKS.

It's too bad when climate change comes to bare, everyone in Singapore will die.

Not just from drowning, but it has to import 90% of its food.  Good luck with that, when global supplies are constrained, no one will take funny money,  and that's the end of that.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 13:59:06 »
My hot take on all drugs is to just legalize everything to take that stress off the taxpayers & corrections systems. It's not like people are just gonna start using heroin, meth, or worse just cause it's legal now. Very very few people honestly do not try drugs just because they are illegal. It's more like there is two camps, people who want to get high (for whatever reason, therapeutic or recreationally) & people who wouldn't touch any drugs with a 10' pole. Legality really has nothing to do with IME. Focus on educating the youth truthfully about drugs & the bad effects abuse can bring upon your life. Then make very harsh punishments for know users committing crimes to feed their addiction along with decriminalization & I guarantee things wouldn't be any worse than they already are. Probably be better the more I think about it.

IME most addicts do not want to be one & would love to be a more productive member of society. Giving them a legal, safe way to get their drugs if they chose to continue usage would drastically reduce crime. Most of the so called "junkies" could easily get back into the workforce & contribute to society in a positive way if they had easy, safe, & fairly cheap access to their drug of choice. Then as a bonus you'd put a huge dent in black market drug trafficking by redirecting the funds it would normally get back into the economy & on top of that you can tax the sales of the now legal drugs. I could give another 100 or more reasons legalization of all drugs would not be this apocalypse of everyone turning into junkies & commiting all kinds of crime, but I'll stop here. The bottom line to me is things are so bad right now we're at the point people are using drugs that will rot them from the inside out (Tranq Dope), there is very little help unless you have someone rich front your rehab bills, very little job opportunities due to the stigma for anyone still looking for work despite an addiction, the police using the war on drugs to steal from people not even involved in any drug use or trafficking, etc., etc.. How much worse could it be if everything was just legalized & easily obtainable at clinics?
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:29:58 by Rob27shred »

Offline phinix

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 15:35:27 »
Weed should be legal all over the world...

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 16:20:59 »
Weed should be legal all over the world...

all drug use should be decriminalized.

there is some interplay left for the pushers, life in prison minimum.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 16:22:13 »

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 16:23:53 »

people are confounding 

"freedom to use recreational drugs"

with

"recreational drugs = good"

they are very different.  the negative impact on education attainment and future income is enormous.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 18:23:14 »

the negative impact on education attainment and future income is enormous.

True. Because of a puritanical upbringing I was 20.5 the first time I smoked dope, and I am so glad that I waited.

And both of my kids didn't try it until college (even though ~25 is probably when you are actually old enough to do it without developmental harm).

It hurts my heart to think about middle school kids using regularly ....

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 18:41:50 »

In what way does it work?

Offline phaxin

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 18:52:21 »
Don't use that cocaine or marijuana, because that stuff is highly addictive
When people become weed-heads
They become sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerned
Sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerned
That's all marijuana does to you, okay?

As a former daily wake and baker. I'm 100% happy I quit.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 19:10:17 »

In what way does it work?

DALYs=disability-adjusted life-years.
YLDs=years of life lived with disability.
YLLs=years of life lost.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6251968/

298640-0
298642-1
298636-2

It's a monumental Achievement considering their WEALTH (afford to buy drugs), and their proximity TO the golden triangle (drug ring).

298644-3

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 30 April 2023, 21:25:51 »

people are confounding 

with

they are very different.  the negative impact on education attainment and future income is enormous.

I've seen the studies that have made a correlation between heavy cannabis use and worse monetary outcomes for families.

My question is this: is marijuana the thing causing this wealth disparity, or is it just more likely that people without much money in the first place turn to drugs for entertainment, particularly in countries where those drugs are illegal and unregulated?

In other words, which way does the correlation go? Drugs make it more likely for you to be poor, or poor people are more likely to use drugs?

Same can be asked about mental health outcomes: does pot make it more likely that you have anxiety, or do people with anxiety have a higher chance of attempting self medication with marijuana?
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 30 April 2023, 21:46:25 »

people are confounding 

with

I've seen the studies that have made a correlation between heavy cannabis use and worse monetary outcomes for families.

My question is this: is marijuana the thing causing this wealth disparity, or is it just more likely that people without much money in the first place turn to drugs for entertainment, particularly in countries where those drugs are illegal and unregulated?

In other words, which way does the correlation go? Drugs make it more likely for you to be poor, or poor people are more likely to use drugs?

Same can be asked about mental health outcomes: does pot make it more likely that you have anxiety, or do people with anxiety have a higher chance of attempting self medication with marijuana?

It's both.

Not mutually exclusive,

The economically disadvantaged are more likely to START to use drugs. They are more likely to CONTINUE to use drugs. We know the Drugs are likely to keep them economically disadvantaged.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 30 April 2023, 22:08:34 »
I genuinely don't know how someone living in the 2020's can go through each week without smoking, drinking, or some sort of substance in their downtime when the news scrolls and dark thoughts are at their loudest.
Are we living on the same planet here? How can you bare to go through this absolute ****show of a time stone cold sober? Something's ****ing wrong with you.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #148 on: Sun, 30 April 2023, 22:19:17 »
I genuinely don't know how someone living in the 2020's can go through each week without smoking, drinking, or some sort of substance in their downtime when the news scrolls and dark thoughts are at their loudest.
Are we living on the same planet here? How can you bare to go through this absolute ****show of a time stone cold sober? Something's ****ing wrong with you.

Drug use is heavily interconnected with the stress cycle.  When you are stressed, your brain calculates the Least-Costly action which will relieve stress.

The presence of recreational substances in the world is a Short-Circuit situation.

Instead of improving life, and relieving stress "the long way", life style changes, introspection, education, family connection,   SUBSTANCES makes those things "Temporarily" Obsolete.

You can feel better, absent all the hard work. This tears at the fabric of society, because it removes a core level of interdependence and MONITORING within the collective.

If we don't somehow curtail refined hedonism which encompasses (almost all capitalist products), the planet will end humanity and reboot.

Our opportunity window is only 5 - 15 years at this point, before climate change run-away effect become insurmountable

We are today, right now, currently at the TAIL END of the anthropocene extinction event.   50% of all wide vertebrates died between 1970 and 2014.

Approximately 80% total have already died.   Bees die, Ants die, WE DIE.

YES Tp4 is stressed, but doing best to not purchase any electronics, and work the long game.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 07:50:23 »

some sort of substance in their downtime

This tears at the fabric of society, because it removes a core level of interdependence

Mankind is a society and individuals have traditionally supported one another, either directly one-to-one, or collectively as a society.

The morbidly wealthy in the US have become willing to allow (if not actually encourage) the collapse of our union just as long as they don't have to contribute any of their money to support it.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 08:02:30 »

some sort of substance in their downtime

This tears at the fabric of society, because it removes a core level of interdependence

Mankind is a society and individuals have traditionally supported one another, either directly one-to-one, or collectively as a society.

The morbidly wealthy in the US have become willing to allow (if not actually encourage) the collapse of our union just as long as they don't have to contribute any of their money to support it.

You can look at it like that, as if they're evil,  but understand that they are as you say MORBIDLY wealthy,   that is its own form of sickness.  They are a broken people in the same vein as those who they oppress/exploit.

The Kings of Europe, Pharaohs of Egypt all had tremendous medical problems due to their WEALTH.  Lots of paintings of Kings and Rich guys with a swollen diabetic rotting foot (gout) perched on a little pillow.  Records show Pharaohs were sickly, obese, ontop of the problems of being imbred.

All of these problems follow the Distortion that hyperpalatables create in our lives.  Only now, it's pervasive to the middle and lower rungs of society.    We are ALL fat, sick, and dying.

Our abuse of the planet is nearing an end.

India/Pakistan, record temperatures,  wet bulb > 35 , delivery drivers fainting in the street from heat stroke. 1000s upon 1000s of cases now.

This year will be even worse with El NINO, and thus far, record ocean temps.

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 10:00:12 »

Drug use is heavily interconnected with the stress cycle.  When you are stressed, your brain calculates the Least-Costly action which will relieve stress.

The presence of recreational substances in the world is a Short-Circuit situation.

Instead of improving life, and relieving stress "the long way", life style changes, introspection, education, family connection,   SUBSTANCES makes those things "Temporarily" Obsolete.

You can feel better, absent all the hard work. This tears at the fabric of society, because it removes a core level of interdependence and MONITORING within the collective.

If we don't somehow curtail refined hedonism which encompasses (almost all capitalist products), the planet will end humanity and reboot.

Our opportunity window is only 5 - 15 years at this point, before climate change run-away effect become insurmountable

We are today, right now, currently at the TAIL END of the anthropocene extinction event.   50% of all wide vertebrates died between 1970 and 2014.

Approximately 80% total have already died.   Bees die, Ants die, WE DIE.

YES Tp4 is stressed, but doing best to not purchase any electronics, and work the long game.

I don't think that being straight laced has done much to keep your stress levels in check, based on the world view you're presenting here. If only there were some way for you to step back and unwind for a bit...
Rosewill RK-9000

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 10:18:43 »
I don't think that being straight laced has done much to keep your stress levels in check, based on the world view you're presenting here. If only there were some way for you to step back and unwind for a bit...

Agreed Pretendo, straight laced isn't effectively de-stressing Tp4 personally.

Stepping back and do the analysis, we "are" stressed. Stress isn't for the LACK of numbing-agents. Stress is because as a social collective,  Humanity has gone awry, bringing imminent destruction upon itself.

Instead of working on Ourselves, Our Collective, The Planet, we produce numbing agents to dull the pain.

Tp4 does not know for certain that taking the pain and working the problem is the solution. 

but,   Tp4 is certain that more often than not, the taking of numbing agents in any form (substance or behavioral) is counter-productive.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 10:52:41 »
Isn't the whole reason why marijuana was/is so highly criminalised that Nixon or Reagan or some other Republican basically wanted to lock up the part of the public that voted Democrat? (you can't vote in prison) Don't think it had anything to do with actual ill effects of marijuana itself.

At times it feels like my own government is trying to keep the drug mafia here in business by keeping MDMA illegal which is 100% horse****.

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:20:49 »
Isn't the whole reason why marijuana was/is so highly criminalised that Nixon or Reagan or some other Republican basically wanted to lock up the part of the public that voted Democrat? (you can't vote in prison) Don't think it had anything to do with actual ill effects of marijuana itself.

At times it feels like my own government is trying to keep the drug mafia here in business by keeping MDMA illegal which is 100% horse****.

Pretty much, yes. See this quote by John Ehrlichman, a white house aide under Nixon and key figure in breaking the Watergate scandal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ehrlichman#:~:text=You%20understand%20what%20I'm,we%20could%20disrupt%20those%20communities.

"You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

— Dan Baum, Legalize It All: How to win the war on drugs, Harper's Magazine (April 2016)
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:21:23 »

That is partially true, but the number of potential voters behind bars is trivial. The real impetus was to fabricate and stoke a "moral panic"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_panic  and frame "liberals" as the ones who wanted to promote hedonistic "lifestyles" while Republicans were the "Guardians of the Nation" ....

Personally, I am generally willing to accept most behaviors  - as long as -  you do not endanger others, but in the US, with our tremendous "sprawl", driving a car is almost a necessity. And in the wrong hands a moving vehicle is certainly a dangerous weapon.

Intoxicants for recreational use should be available to adults, but driving a car while impared is simply unacceptable.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:23:03 by fohat.digs »

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:25:50 »

That is partially true, but the number of potential voters behind bars is trivial. The real impetus was to fabricate and stoke a "moral panic"   and frame "liberals" as the ones who wanted to promote hedonistic "lifestyles" while Republicans were the "Guardians of the Nation" ....

Personally, I am generally willing to accept most behaviors  - as long as -  you do not endanger others, but in the US, with our tremendous "sprawl", driving a car is almost a necessity. And in the wrong hands a moving vehicle is certainly a dangerous weapon.

Intoxicants for recreational use should be available to adults, but driving a car while impared is simply unacceptable.

I agree with this sentiment. Let people live their lives however they want to, as long as they aren't putting other people in danger.

America's car dependence is another matter. IMO way more impactful on things like climate change, stress levels, and tax rates than recreational marijuana use.
Rosewill RK-9000

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:32:55 »

Intoxicants for recreational use should be available to adults, but driving a car while impaired is simply unacceptable.

There's a debate on this, because At What Point is the action endangering, Others.

There are 4 pillars holding up a bridge.  They can be operating at 50% capacity each and the bridge would not fall. EXCEPT on the day by chance there were too many trucks.

The extra capacity of each pillar is a Necessary Buffer against unforeseen outcomes, which by rules of limited consciousness will always occur, and is always catastrophic.

Every unenlightened/uncontrolled/unplanned diversion weakens the collective.

This isn't to say rules can never be bent or modified, but the collective capacity is always in play.

One extra person worth of man power or Brain-Power might be the difference between a power plant exploding.

In the case of most Recreational Substances, it is similar to leaving Performance on the table or Squandering it.

There should be a way of medicating <recreation-ally> that produces minimal harm. but such a system would require quite alot of engineering, and it's empirically true that for the majority of humans, Self-Monitoring/Control is inadequate.  Proof- Kensington Philadelphia

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:59:36 »

Intoxicants for recreational use should be available to adults, but driving a car while impaired is simply unacceptable.

There's a debate on this, because At What Point is the action endangering, Others.

There are 4 pillars holding up a bridge.  They can be operating at 50% capacity each and the bridge would not fall. EXCEPT on the day by chance there were too many trucks.

The extra capacity of each pillar is a Necessary Buffer against unforeseen outcomes, which by rules of limited consciousness will always occur, and is always catastrophic.

Every unenlightened/uncontrolled/unplanned diversion weakens the collective.

This isn't to say rules can never be bent or modified, but the collective capacity is always in play.

One extra person worth of man power or Brain-Power might be the difference between a power plant exploding.

In the case of most Recreational Substances, it is similar to leaving Performance on the table or Squandering it.

There should be a way of medicating <recreation-ally> that produces minimal harm. but such a system would require quite alot of engineering, and it's empirically true that for the majority of humans, Self-Monitoring/Control is inadequate.  Proof- Kensington Philadelphia

The alternative is to waste tax dollars and public resources enforcing laws against every personal habit that doesn't "help the collective", which is, IMO, way more harmful than just allowing people to govern their own personal habits.

For me the line gets drawn at physical harm. If you're holding back your family's personal finances due to a drug habit, that's a personal problem. We should offer programs for assistance if you're seeking help getting out of that situation, but the consequences should purely be societal. That is, if you refuse to help yourself and address the issue, you'll suffer natural consequences.

If you get behind the wheel of a car drunk/high and start drive erratically, then you're an immediate threat to people's safety. You don't get to have a license anymore until you've proven that the behavior is corrected. If you do it again anyway, over and over, you're a threat to public safety and may need to be institutionalized until the behavior is corrected.

My view on America's prison system goes way beyond the scope of this thread.
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 02 May 2023, 03:28:55 »

I think the US could've worked with public transport as well which is considerably less polluting but that's another matter. In any case, I want to stress that if you haven't done MDMA yet, you may think it different from what it actually does. Definitely don't drive with it on by any means, but it doesn't make you feel "drunk" or anything, in fact you're extremely lucid.

That said, I think it should be a cultural faux pas to drive under the influence of anything really. So if you want to do drugs, make sure you don't have to drive back.

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 03 May 2023, 12:50:22 »

I think the US could've worked with public transport as well which is considerably less polluting but that's another matter. In any case, I want to stress that if you haven't done MDMA yet, you may think it different from what it actually does. Definitely don't drive with it on by any means, but it doesn't make you feel "drunk" or anything, in fact you're extremely lucid.

That said, I think it should be a cultural faux pas to drive under the influence of anything really. So if you want to do drugs, make sure you don't have to drive back.

It could've worked better, and it did work better until the "urban renewal" projects of the 1940s-60s. My conspiracy theory is that these were a purposeful move to gut urban cores and spread out the population due to the Cold War paranoia about nuclear bombs. Government incentives couldn't have done a better job at ruining dense urban areas in the US if they tried, and they even had the knock on effect of disproportionately impacting minorities...

...but that's a whole different sore spot topic.
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 03 May 2023, 13:23:01 »

gut urban cores and spread out the population

"Urban renewal" was not a cause but a reaction. After WW2 an average car cost half an average employee's annual wages and an average house cost twice a year's pay.
Gasoline cost about $0.25 per gallon and cars allowed easy and cheap commutes to work, so why buy a small house on a quarter acre lot in the city when you could have a house and yard twice as large (or more) for the same price - in exchange for a 10 mile commute to work? The majority of people who could gladly opted for the green grass and fresh air.

Remember that the interstate system was Eisenhower's dream project and as the new highways passed through cities they were obviously going to be routed through the poorest areas closest to the center of town.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 03 May 2023, 13:29:35 »
That 10 mile commute is my limit to where I work - I tend to find jobs w/in a 10 mile radius from my home mainly because I want to be able to respond to anything that might come up for my family.  I have worked where I had a 80 mile round trip commute and if something happened I would be at a disadvantage to getting home or that side of town in a timely manner, but at that time that was where the work was.  Now I am looking more into how I could work from home or even closer to home to cut on more expenses etc.

Offline phinix

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 05:46:55 »

gut urban cores and spread out the population

"Urban renewal" was not a cause but a reaction. After WW2 an average car cost half an average employee's annual wages and an average house cost twice a year's pay.
Gasoline cost about $0.25 per gallon and cars allowed easy and cheap commutes to work, so why buy a small house on a quarter acre lot in the city when you could have a house and yard twice as large (or more) for the same price - in exchange for a 10 mile commute to work? The majority of people who could gladly opted for the green grass and fresh air.

Remember that the interstate system was Eisenhower's dream project and as the new highways passed through cities they were obviously going to be routed through the poorest areas closest to the center of town.

This sounds great, but depends on country you are in. I would love to get a bigger house outside of Glasgow (UK), but here on this bloody island everything is so expensive, land costs more than gold ;)
We are planning to move out to smaller town near Glasgow, where prices are lower, but still, terrible house size and quality to price ratio.
For 300k GBP in town area (smallish 3 bedroom house), you can get a huge estate in any other european country.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2023, 10:50:34 by phinix »

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 07:09:24 »

in places like NYC its basically a necessity unless you wanna take 3 hrs to get anywhere, walking or taking the train is the norm since everything is so close and compact.

then in a city like mine (used to have a metro back in the day, before i was born even) where everything is so far that u will not survive without a car
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 18:01:47 »

in places like NYC its basically a necessity unless you wanna take 3 hrs to get anywhere, walking or taking the train is the norm since everything is so close and compact.

then in a city like mine (used to have a metro back in the day, before i was born even) where everything is so far that u will not survive without a car

People who own cars in NYC have something wrong with their brains. Many will spend upwards of an hour each week just sitting in their car outside their abode so they can minimally move it for the street sweeper and get their spot back. They don't drive anywhere, or otherwise ever use their car. They just want that particular parking spot forever. Legit brain disease.

If you are living in NYC you can afford to rent a car for the weekend, or when you need one. You don't need to perpetually save a space for a vehicle you only use half a dozen times a year! Idiots.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 18:14:52 »
People who own cars in NYC have something wrong with their brains. Many will spend upwards of an hour each week just sitting in their car outside their abode so they can minimally move it for the street sweeper and get their spot back. They don't drive anywhere, or otherwise ever use their car. They just want that particular parking spot forever. Legit brain disease.

If you are living in NYC you can afford to rent a car for the weekend, or when you need one. You don't need to perpetually save a space for a vehicle you only use half a dozen times a year! Idiots.

It's pretty cray cray,  pretty sure this is a simulation. Tp4 is probably almost certainly an NPC.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 06:47:32 »

this is part of the reason i wanna live in NYC lol. when i visited recently it was pretty much necessary to walk everywhere but i actually liked that. it felt like i got to engage more with the city (and the less graceful parts) and the best part is that i got exercise and i actually felt really good and energized when i was there.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 18:13:02 »
this is part of the reason i wanna live in NYC lol. when i visited recently it was pretty much necessary to walk everywhere but i actually liked that. it felt like i got to engage more with the city (and the less graceful parts) and the best part is that i got exercise and i actually felt really good and energized when i was there.

I feel the same way when it comes to the CBD of melbourne, definitely way better than the suburb I live in, which really has no amenities for someone like me. It basically requires a car to get to essential places like a doctors office or supermarket and I can't drive.

For Uni I may move up near the city, which would be great for me, hope that happens.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #169 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 06:47:00 »

I feel the same way when it comes to the CBD of melbourne, definitely way better than the suburb I live in, which really has no amenities for someone like me. It basically requires a car to get to essential places like a doctors office or supermarket and I can't drive.

For Uni I may move up near the city, which would be great for me, hope that happens.

i did really miss having like... grass and trees, though. like i saw many people walking dogs and was just thinking "Where the hell do these dogs do their business??? There's no grass..." no squirrels, no foxes, no deer. it is a bit depressing

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #170 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:47:23 »

Henry Anslinger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Anslinger is jagoff you're thinking of. In the 30's he spearheaded the prohibition of marijuana to improve his clout in the US govt. As I understand it he saw the prohibition of weed as a great way to go after Mexicans. Similar to the racist rhetoric used to prohibit cocaine (black men using it, then raping white women & commiting crimes) he positited the same ideal on weed with Mexican men. Then pushed it super hard & had it added to some bill that originally had nothing to do with prohibiting marijuana. As to what you stated I believe that was just a rumor (well technically a rumor as it is pretty well accepted that there was more than just a tinge of racism in Nixon starting the war on drugs & Nancy Regan pushing the just say no movement. However we will never know for sure what was said in the creations of either behind closed doors). Basically all the drug laws in the US are from deep seated racism, hence why even something as benign as weed is so highly criminalized. We really do need to rewrite them or just drop them altogether as I stated earlier in this thread.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:49:38 by Rob27shred »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 16:34:43 »

drug laws in the US are from deep seated racism

What happened in the 1960s was drived from what happened in the 1930s, but Nixon's personal demons were coming out strong.
https://eji.org/news/nixon-war-on-drugs-designed-to-criminalize-black-people/

TL:DR -
"by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and Blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities"
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2023, 16:36:15 by fohat.digs »

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 17:18:58 »

drug laws in the US are from deep seated racism

What happened in the 1960s was drived from what happened in the 1930s, but Nixon's personal demons were coming out strong.
https://eji.org/news/nixon-war-on-drugs-designed-to-criminalize-black-people/

TL:DR -
"by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and Blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities"

Great link, thanks!
"After President Richard Nixon declared a “war on drugs” in 1971, the number of people incarcerated in American jails and prisons escalated from 300,000 to 2.3 million. Half of those in federal prison are incarcerated for a drug offense, and two-thirds of those in prison for drug offenses are people of color. Disproportionate arrest, conviction, and sentencing rates for drug offenses have devastated communities of color in America."
 :eek: Goddamn, I knew the war on drugs massively inflated the prison population but had no ideal that was the approx. numbers!

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 10:17:51 »

They took their sweet time, but they did it! From April 1st, German citizens are allowed to:

- own 50g of dried buds
- carry 25g
- consume at home
- consume in public as long as there is no school/kindergarten or such nearby
- grow up to 3 plants at home

So it's not a full legalization, but a big step towards freedom.

Offline phinix

« Reply #174 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 14:52:52 »

They took their sweet time, but they did it! From April 1st, German citizens are allowed to:

- own 50g of dried buds
- carry 25g
- consume at home
- consume in public as long as there is no school/kindergarten or such nearby
- grow up to 3 plants at home

So it's not a full legalization, but a big step towards freedom.

Bavaria... here I come ;)