Author Topic: Anthropgenic Climate Change  (Read 17050 times)

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Anthropgenic Climate Change
« on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 12:00:42 »
Someone said this forum had too many threads on politics, religion, and the weather.

Well, I couldn't find any threads about the weather, so I thought I'd start one.

Generally, I'm a somewhat conservative person. (On domestic economic policy, I'm actually a liberal, and I don't mean a laissez-faire classical liberal - but being a hawk, nobody would ever mistake me for a liberal by today's standards.)

But with the ozone hole, finally the ecology doomsayers, who were out to lunch in the '60s and '70s, appear to be right - human activity has grown to a level where it can have world-wide consequences.

The consensus of the scientific community is that global warming is real. Consequences are already visible - damage to the Great Barrier Reef, reduction in the range of polar bears, and methane release from Siberian permafrost, which threatens to tip the system to more rapid warming.

But...

Right now, of course, we're in the midst of an economic crash. The well-being of most people is dependent on a healthy economy, and severe restrictions on fossil fuel use would impact the economy greatly.

Solar and wind power, I believe, aren't going to be adequate to take the place of fossil fuels; it takes a lot of space to make a given amount of power by those methods.

Well, I have a solution.

We can build pretty much as much power generating capacity as we want, where we want... using nuclear power plants.

Breeder reactors - and the Thorium breeder - can keep us going for long enough to be able to use more ambitious techniques, like solar power satellites or fusion power.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 12:38:35 »
Quote from: quadibloc;223621
Someone said this forum had too many threads on politics, religion, and the weather.

Well, I couldn't find any threads about the weather, so I thought I'd start one.

lol!

Right now, of course, we're in the midst of an economic crash. The well-being of most people is dependent on a healthy economy, and severe restrictions on fossil fuel use would impact the economy greatly.

well the usual response there is that precisely because of the economic downturn what we desperately need is new and cutting edge technologies -- like green technologies -- to spur innovation and manufacturing in north america once again.
and a positive side effect is to starve jihadi regimes of oil income.
and its good for the environment to boot.
So its a triple-goodness.

Breeder reactors - and the Thorium breeder - can keep us going for long enough to be able to use more ambitious techniques, like solar power satellites or fusion power.

building out smaller nuclear reactors are definitely on the table in the US anyway. I think we will ultimately need a combination strategy -- some new nuclear reactors; some pure electric solutions; some savings from better building materials and better heat/cold conserving designs for buildings; some turn to coal and gas and solar, etc.

some kind of combination strategy i think is required so i think all options should be on the table. Each can spur innovation within its field, and all of them take money away from oil and oil regimes.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 13:14:52 »
I feel that, in general, the real question about the global warming debate is: "what is the role of experts in a democratic society?"

I think it is presumptuous to think that non-experts can have a meaningful debate about climate science. But, how much do we defer to the opinions of experts? While most climatologists agree that humans cause climate change, it doesn't seem wise to me to just always side with the majority. Coming from an academic background (my parents are both research professors, and I worked on several research projects in college), I can appreciate that scientists are people too, and that the majority can be wrong.

So, Anthropgenic Climate Change...

Humans have become a geophysical force, in more than one way. We move mountains. We destroy and build entire eco-systems. We influence localized climate changes (city heat islands), as well as regional weather (think of the Dust Bowl in the 30's). We clear entire forests, pave them over, and cover them with crop plants. We changed the composition of the atmosphere, increasing the levels of CO2, Lead, methane, etc. To keep insisting that we cannot influence world-wide climate seems naive to me.

And I could just as easily make arguments supporting the other side. I'm no expert on the subject. While I have strong opinions about the subject, it is ultimately foolish to think that I have a full grasp of it.

We can build pretty much as much power generating capacity as we want, where we want... using nuclear power plants.

They aren't a "forever" solution. Uranium is a finite resource, exactly as fossil fuels are. But in the meantime, they are a great stop-gap solution.

Wellington's answer is wise; a combination solution, with a gradual transition into completely renewable resources will be the sane solution to long-term sustainable energy generation. Ultimately, I feel that everything will transition to solar power, or to fusion power if we get that working. But it will take decades, maybe even more than a century for that transition to be completed.

Clean, sustainable energy seems like a no-brainer to me, even if you don't buy into climate change.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 13:17:58 »
thats the thing - renewable energy makes so much sense on so many levels, regardless of whether or not you think global warming is a reality.

other perfectly sensible reasons to gradually move 100% to renewable energy sources:
-national security: starve the damn jihadists.
-manufacturing and jobs from new technologies which in turn can be exported around the world
-not using up other resources which are by definition finite

in light of these reasons, the global warming question is pretty irrelevant in terms of making a decision on this.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 13:18:04 »
The trouble with breeder reactors is that they inherently allow the creation of weapons-grade nuclear material. That's not so much a problem if you're building them in a "trusted" country. But if we're talking about a long-term energy solution for the entire world, that mean's that we have to have breeder reactors in every country. From a technical point of view, breeder reactors are awesome. From a nuclear proliferation point-of-view, they give me pause.

-manufacturing and jobs from new technologies which in turn can be exported around the world

Yeah, I don't understand the conservative backlash against renewable energy production. I mean, we're talking about fully domestic production of energy, employing US workers. The alternative is to be reliant on the Middle East, on Venezuela, on Nigera, on Russia for our energy. Which seems like the opposite of conservative philosophy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 September 2010, 13:21:18 by Daniel Beaver »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 13:22:14 »
Quote from: kishy;223636
Input resources aside, nuclear is NOT the answer and should NOT be treated as one.

The leftover waste is far more damaging than sticking with fossil fuels for the time being. We can't reverse the damage that has been done, but we CAN put a priority on NEW technologies (or improving the existing technology pertaining to solar and wind power).

they're working on a system where nuclear waste becomes harmless within 20 years. I remember reading about this; bill gates' foundation is helping to fund the testing and research.

While nuclear reactors in the long run I think are definitely not the solution, in the short run they may help bridge the energy divide as we transition to more sustainable sources. If it helps accelerate leaving oil behind, I might be for it.

at the moment solar and wind etc are nowhere capable of providing the amounts of power needed to sustain any nations economy in full. something will have to make up the difference.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 13:23:57 »
The leftover waste is far more damaging than sticking with fossil fuels for the time being. We can't reverse the damage that has been done, but we CAN put a priority on NEW technologies (or improving the existing technology pertaining to solar and wind power).
I generally feel that this is an overblown concern, since you aren't producing very much waste. It has become a great political football for environmentalists, but I think it ultimately hurts their cause. Still, I won't deny that there is a problem to be looked at, and it is definitely a mark against nuclear.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 13:24:35 »
there are also some really innovative solutions in the works, like oil derived from algae whcih would actualy be carbon-neutral and would not tap natural oil reserves. but all that will take a few decades to develop and deploy.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 13:31:00 »
Quote from: wellington1869;223638

at the moment solar and wind etc are nowhere capable of providing the amounts of power needed to sustain any nations economy in full. something will have to make up the difference.

I'm just going to throw this out there:

Orbital Solar

Space-based solar power (SBSP) (or historically space solar power- SSP) is a system for the collection of solar power in space, for use on Earth. SBSP differs from the usual method of solar power collection in that the solar panels used to collect the energy would reside on a satellite in orbit, often referred to as a solar power satellite  (SPS), rather than on Earth's surface. In space, collection of the Sun's energy is unaffected by the various obstructions which reduce efficiency or capacities of Earth surface solar power collection.

Doable with 1960's-era technology. All the energy you could ever need. Insanely expensive - as in, would require double-digit investment of the entire world's gross domestic product. Totally worth it in the long run. The engineer in me goes "squeeeeee!!!"

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 13:35:17 »
very cool ;) maybe the price will be much lower today?

hey for now if i can get a diesel-hybrid getting 60mpg for a start i'll be pretty happy ;) but say 30 years from now if we're not all driving electric vehicles then basically we've lost the jihad wars.

Offline mike

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 13:48:12 »
Quote from: kishy;223636
Input resources aside, nuclear is NOT the answer and should NOT be treated as one.

The interesting thing about nuclear power is that there is less radioactivity released into the environment than with burning conventional fossil fuels.

As for renewable power sources, it's a shame that geothermal technology doesn't get as much attention as wind and solar. But space-based solar is probably the coolest possible solution :)
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 14:18:44 »
Quote from: mike;223650
The interesting thing about nuclear power is that there is less radioactivity released into the environment than with burning conventional fossil fuels.

As for renewable power sources, it's a shame that geothermal technology doesn't get as much attention as wind and solar. But space-based solar is probably the coolest possible solution :)

Geothermal energy...interesting. You mean like in Iceland?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 14:21:49 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;223656

well, it helps if your entire nation is one giant active volcano ;)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 14:31:08 »
Quote from: wellington1869;223634
thats the thing - renewable energy makes so much sense on so many levels, regardless of whether or not you think global warming is a reality.

other perfectly sensible reasons to gradually move 100% to renewable energy sources:

in light of these reasons, the global warming question is pretty irrelevant in terms of making a decision on this.

This sums up my views on the feeling entirely.

From what I have read, there are quite a lot of doubts in the scientific community as to whether the sort of doomsday disasters that we have been all been fed on are really accurate or meaningful. The reality is that in science, once a particular viewpoint gains traction, people are discouraged from going against in the mainstream to risk being ostracized from funding sources.

However, even if assume that greenhouse gasses from humans is a serious threat, and we get rid of fossil fuel burning is eliminated over night, there are other issues to contend with - the methane released from cattle ranches is as big a problem (bigger according to some) as fossil fuel burning. The quest continues...

Personally I'm preferring the potential risk of radiation poisoning over the definite ill-effects of fossil fuel burning that currently stand. I guess it's the more dramatic stuff that scares people.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 14:38:41 »
Nuclear is only economicly viable mid-term solution, if we are realy going to want to reduce CO2 output and not cut our compsumption massively.

I think main problem with local green-activist is that they are against nuclear power, but can't provide any    real solutions which didn't include it...

On other hand, I don't realy care as I like to think in realy long scale(5 billion years...) and on that nothing will realy matter...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 14:47:46 »
Uranium is another finite resource, and I've heard some estimates suggest that there may only be about a century's worth of it left, let alone how much we would need if every started building nuclear plants.

Of course, you can recycle spent nuclear fuel, but there is a diminishing returns principle there - you can't get something for nothing.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 14:55:38 »
Quote from: ch_123;223671
Uranium is another finite resource, and I've heard some estimates suggest that there may only be about a century's worth of it left, let alone how much we would need if every started building nuclear plants.

Of course, you can recycle spent nuclear fuel, but there is a diminishing returns principle there - you can't get something for nothing.

Even 50 years is a pretty large timeframe for new techs. Anyway I think we need to start to save oil for plastics and such soon and not just burn it for energy. As I said nuclear is good for mid-term solution, could get it working in 10-20 years with replacement of plants and some new ones and then replace those with something better, which hopefully have atleast something new ready. Nuclear has an issues, but so do everything else and it is quite cost-effective(atleast if you don't buy from french...)

Edit:
After cheking from local building make it 15-25 years...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 15:29:58 »
thats the thing - renewable energy makes so much sense on so many levels

Apart from being expensive, unreliable, and damaging to the environment in hidden ways. (Analogy: I'm sick of people saying that electric vehicles are zero emission when that fact simply means the emissions happen elsewhere, and the batteries create issues of their own.)

Not to mention windfarms being sabotaged by pesky UFOs.

Wake me up when the theoretical green utopia becomes a real possibility.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 15:36:56 »
Quote from: Rajagra;223688
Apart from being expensive, unreliable, and damaging to the environment in hidden ways. (Analogy: I'm sick of people saying that electric vehicles are zero emission when that fact simply means the emissions happen elsewhere, and the batteries create issues of their own.)

Not to mention windfarms being sabotaged by pesky UFOs.

Wake me up when the theoretical green utopia becomes a real possibility.

Hydroelectric power is good option, it's reliable, cheap and tested. What? We can't use it on those last spots? Yeah... Availability is a issue and side-effects to nature...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 15:46:40 »
Quote from: Ekaros;223695
Hydroelectric power is good option, it's reliable, cheap and tested.

Indeed, and that's why it was in use for decades before crazy scientists started claiming the sky was falling. It works ... so they use it. As they would already be using any other green energy source that was practical. Provide the solutions and they will be used. It's no use saying we must use solution X or else problem Y will happen, unless solution X exists. It doesn't even matter if Y is really happening. X has to be achievable before we make can use of it.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 16:05:33 »
No, not really. Moving to renewable energy is a good thing. Global warming makes it an urgent thing - i.e. build replacement nuclear power stations to replace every single fossil fuel powered electrical generating plant, starting immediately, and as soon as they're built, decommission the fossil fuel ones.

If it weren't for global warming, we would be doing this one plant at a time instead of all at once, and over a century, not a single decade.

Quote from: ch_123;223671

No, you can't get something for nothing. But with breeder reactors, U-238 becomes fuel, and it is over a hundred times as abundant as U-235 which is the natural substance usable as reactor fuel.

And it's also possible to produce fissionable U-233 from Th-232, the most common isotope of Thorium, the same way as Pu-239 is produced from U-238 in a breeder reactor, by neutron bombardment. That triples our fuel reserves again, based on conservative estimates.

Optimistic estimates would note that Thorium is present, but in low concentrations, in very common rocks. Less convenient than extracting deuterium from the oceans for fusion, but "burning the rocks" was the name given this possibility back in the 1950s, and it's not a flight of fancy, even if it is a technical challenge for the future.

Keeping civilization going for another hundred years or more should give us plenty of time to convert to fusion power, or solar power satellites.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 September 2010, 16:13:47 by quadibloc »

Offline mike

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 16:45:21 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;223656

Well, yes and no (to use a phrase I'm known for).

Geothermal power can be generated nearly anywhere with a deep enough hole, and it doesn't have to have liquid rock at the bottom. After all there's plenty of deep mines which are nearly too hot to work in.

Geologically 'active' regions like Iceland (or "The Geysers" in California) are the obvious places to put geothermal plants, but they're a lot more widespread than that.
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 17:16:10 »
Quote from: quadibloc;223703
No, not really. Moving to renewable energy is a good thing. Global warming makes it an urgent thing - i.e. build replacement nuclear power stations to replace every single fossil fuel powered electrical generating plant, starting immediately, and as soon as they're built, decommission the fossil fuel ones.

If it weren't for global warming, we would be doing this one plant at a time instead of all at once, and over a century, not a single decade.

No, you can't get something for nothing. But with breeder reactors, U-238 becomes fuel, and it is over a hundred times as abundant as U-235 which is the natural substance usable as reactor fuel.

And it's also possible to produce fissionable U-233 from Th-232, the most common isotope of Thorium, the same way as Pu-239 is produced from U-238 in a breeder reactor, by neutron bombardment. That triples our fuel reserves again, based on conservative estimates.

Optimistic estimates would note that Thorium is present, but in low concentrations, in very common rocks. Less convenient than extracting deuterium from the oceans for fusion, but "burning the rocks" was the name given this possibility back in the 1950s, and it's not a flight of fancy, even if it is a technical challenge for the future.

Keeping civilization going for another hundred years or more should give us plenty of time to convert to fusion power, or solar power satellites.

Or we could develope hi-efficiency solar-power and workable super conductors. So we could even get solar-farms on earth and transfer energy almost losslessly. Nuclear power is one of the best solution for low-carbon energy production before real clean sources.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 18:24:48 »
WTF is carbon neutral?  Unless you're involving carbon in fission, fusion, or referring to radioactive decay or maybe reactions with dark matter, every process in use IS already carbon neutral!  Just because the carbon comes out in a different compound doesn't mean it's created or destroyed.  Conservation of Mass ftw, liberal environazi catch phrases FTL.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 18:47:57 »
Damn those alchemists.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 19:52:53 »
Quote from: Oqsy;223746
WTF is carbon neutral?  Unless you're involving carbon in fission, fusion, or referring to radioactive decay or maybe reactions with dark matter, every process in use IS already carbon neutral!
Burning fossil fuels takes carbon out of the ground, and puts it in the atmosphere in the form of carbon dioxide.

On the other hand, growing plants and then burning their leaves is carbon neutral, since the carbon dioxide put into the atmosphere by the fire was originally taken out of the atmosphere by the plant.

Thus, the phrase, although somewhat shortened, has a meaning that is real, and easily understood. If you prefer, you can say "atmospheric carbon dioxide neutral".

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 20:21:35 »
The buzzwords that form the basis of the global warming theory are one reason I have little faith in it. Once the language used to discuss a topic includes phrases that assume the truth of a theory, it becomes nearly impossible to have a rational discussion. Even a question can become an accusation: "what is your carbon footprint?" implies not only that global warming is happening and man-made, but everyone is by default guilty to some extent of contributing to the damage. Anybody talking to me like that can expect my carbon footprint up their carbon-hued ejection hole.:rant:

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 23:00:03 »
Yeah, but... no.  The "fossil fuels" come from fossils, or former carbon based life, correct?  If we go on that assumption then that carbon was in the atmosphere before being consumed and reconstituted in plant/animal matter which, after the plant/animal died, decayed in a scenario ideal for fossil fuel creation.  You're still turning CO2 from the air into biological carbon, and back into atmospheric CO2...  Why is dinosaur or millions of years of plankton CO2 more dangerous than any other CO2?

I'm too tired to get into it any further right now, but trust me, your logic breaks down VERY fast.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 00:11:19 »
Quote from: Rajagra;223791
The buzzwords that form the basis of the global warming theory are one reason I have little faith in it. Once the language used to discuss a topic includes phrases that assume the truth of a theory, it becomes nearly impossible to have a rational discussion. Even a question can become an accusation: "what is your carbon footprint?" implies not only that global warming is happening and man-made, but everyone is by default guilty to some extent of contributing to the damage. Anybody talking to me like that can expect my carbon footprint up their carbon-hued ejection hole.:rant:

its not really 'buzzwords'.  the problem isnt carbon as such but atmospheric carbon which creates a greenhouse effect in the atmophere and thus contributes to global warming. The idea is to control or reduce atmospheric carbon.  Burning fossil fuels in the quantities in whcih we're burning them, releases huge amounts of atmospheric carbon. Thats what we are seeking to avoid or change. Which in turn will reduce the greenhouse effect in the atmosphere, thereby reducing (the theory goes) the global warming effect.

Shifting to electric vehicles in this respect helps enormously, because a huge percentage of the released carbon is coming from internal combustion engines which use oil and release atmospheric carbon.

Its true that even if shift to electric vehicles, that energy has to come from somehwere.  In the case of electric vehicles, the burden is shifted to city-wide power plants which power the electric grid, and into which we plug in the electric vehicles.

THe idea however, is that city-wide power plants dont run on oil or need not run on oil or coal. They can run on nuclear, or hydro-electric, or come from wind and solar farms.

At that point the production of energy thus need not release atmospheric carbon.

THere may well be other issues - like control of nuclear waste - which are real issues. But those are different issues and can/should be dealt with on their own terms (such as reducing the toxicity/amount of waste, which they're working on now; or such as seeing nuclear power plants as a temporary solution until much less toxic ways to generate renewable energy come online).

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 00:13:26 »

words like carbon neutral and carbon footprint arent merely buzzwords. Quadibloc explained it well. THe idea with oil-producing algae, for instance, is that while in algae form, the algae actually soak up enough atmospheric carbon (as plants do) to offset the carbon released into the atmosphere when they are burned as oil. Hence: Carbon neutral. Ie, are not making a net contribution of carbon into the atmosphere.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 September 2010, 00:16:26 by wellington1869 »

Offline mike

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 01:27:45 »
Quote from: Rajagra;223688
I'm sick of people saying that electric vehicles are zero emission when that fact simply means the emissions happen elsewhere, and the batteries create issues of their own.

Most people are dumb so it isn't surprising that most of what they say is dumb too.

However electric vehicles do have some advantages over internal combustion :-

• Less noise pollution so reducing stress for city dwellers.
  • Less noxious emissions along the roadside, improving the quality of air in cities (you do know that many people die each year because of air pollution don't you?).

Whilst it's right that electric vehicles move the emissions from the car to the power plant, this in itself has advantages. First of all, it's far easier to treat emissions at a centralised power plant - whether scrubbing ash, more complete burning, or carbon sequestration.

Secondly, internal combustion engines are pretty inefficient when it comes to converting the available chemical energy into mechanical motion - about 18-20% whereas even a coal-fired power station gets 30% and natural gas fired stations reach 50%.

So even today carbon emissions from electric vehicles have lower carbon emissions than internal combustion engines and that advantage will improve as power generation moves away from fossil fuels.

Offline mike

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 01:29:33 »
Quote from: Oqsy;223811
Why is dinosaur or millions of years of plankton CO2 more dangerous than any other CO2?

Sigh. If you need this explaining after the amount of information floating around for years, then you won't understand the answer.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 01:38:01 »
isn't everything a problem?
nuclear power, while good, has had a stigma for years, 3mile island/chenerbyl and we don't know what to do with the waste (send it to space? but it could blow up on launch, so build big metal encasements and bury)

solar power, isn't the thing that gets excited from the solar rays really difficult to mine? and then installing it is pretty time consuming, hence= costs more?

doesn't wind farms kill lots of birds, and cause noise pollution for the ppl around it?

isn't going away from fossil fuels more expensive? we're trying to supplement fossil fuels for ethanol or whatever right? basically grow corn, do something scientific get ethanol. That whole process takes a lot of time/money and don't we already subsidize corn anway? don't we make so much corn that we had to invent high fructose corn syrup(which they want to call corn sugar now) to do something with the corn. Don't we grow so much corn cuz of gov't subsidies that it's cheaper for mexico, which argueable has more corn uses (corn torillas, tacos, not really trying to be racist) buy corn from us instead of growing it. So we're paying ppl to grown corn for no purpose, then we're paying other ppl to make this into gas for more expensive cars (cuz these green cars will always be more expensive) that we then tax cuz taxes are cool.

not to mention it's kinda hyocritical that we'd grow food, stuff we can eat and use it to power our cars instead of feeding the 1billion or more hungry , starving , dying ppl.

Also i'm pretty sure we won't be destroying the earth i mean the earth is pretty resilent.

If anything, the best way to save the planet would be to kill the lobbiests cuz we know the only reason the old way still works and gets done is cuz of money.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 01:55:54 »
Quote from: Lanx;223836
isn't everything a problem?

yes, so its a question of choosing between options based on what we need. Both diamonds and coal are made of carbon, but have different uses and values, they're not "the same".

isn't going away from fossil fuels more expensive?

no; internal combustion engines are horrifically inefficient (some 90% of their energy is dissapated, wasted, as heat).  With solar panels on your roof, you could in fact get paid for feeding your excess energy into the grid, thus making money rather than spending money.

Initial costs for any new technology will come down soon as manufacturing ramps up (thats the magic of capitalism).  All thats missing is the political will, whcih is also ramping up because of all the additional benefits of switching our energy system (jobs, winning the jihad war, not relying on finite sources of energy, etc).

Also i'm pretty sure we won't be destroying the earth i mean the earth is pretty resilent.

the earth itself will last forever - the question is will we still be on it.

If anything, the best way to save the planet would be to kill the lobbiests cuz we know the only reason the old way still works and gets done is cuz of money.

thats true

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 03:21:47 »
Quote from: Oqsy;223811
Why is dinosaur or millions of years of plankton CO2 more dangerous than any other CO2?
The problem is the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Adding carbon dioxide to what is already present in the atmosphere is dangerous. Subtracting carbon dioxide is helpful.

Burning fossil fuels adds and does not subtract. If one plants extra trees where trees did not exist before, then one would be subtracting to make up for one's additions.

Once the language used to discuss a topic includes phrases that assume the truth of a theory, it becomes nearly impossible to have a rational discussion.
The greenhouse effect is well-established physics, as is the transparency of carbon dioxide at various infrared wavelengths.

Most of the scientists who have made statements contradicting the claim of anthropogenic global warming... are oil industry shills. There isn't a more polite way to say it.

It is true that the computer models attempting to predict the pace of climate change are at the frontiers of research, though, and so they can't be trusted to give accurate forecasts. Each week seems to bring one with a new estimate of when certain "bad things" will happen.

We just don't know, therefore, whether there's a real problem or not. The trouble is, there's a huge time lag between an elevated carbon dioxide level and reaching an equilibrium temperature. So by the time we have undeniable proof that something is happening, it could be too late to take action (except possibly geoengineering, which is genuinely risky, even if it's also controversial for other reasons which I find invalid, such as being spiritually inferior to sacrificing excess energy consumption).

But if the way to stop global warming is to cut energy use drastically, with huge economic consequences... well, one needs proof before doing that.

Which is why I'm really supportive of nuclear power as a solution. Business as usual almost. It's a response we can take at a level of urgency corresponding to "as if we knew the worst case was true" without serious difficulties caused by doing so - building a whole pile of nuclear power plants is a nice stimulus project. If putting all those extra people to work increases imports above exports - dump GATT and the WTO: it's time we went back to full employment.

The natural level of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere is about 280 ppm; currently, the level is running at about 375 ppm. As we don't know exactly how all the feedback mechanisms in the environment work, unless we see signs of the imminent end of the current interglacial period, we should work to return the atmospheric carbon dioxide level to its natural value, and keep it there.

As it happens, we might not want to go that far immediately, given that the Sun is currently low on sunspots at the moment.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 11:35:32 »
The earth will be fine. Will we?

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 11:46:01 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;223919
The earth will be fine. Will we?

Who cares?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 12:44:59 »
Quote from: Ekaros;223925
Who cares?
It's whether we will be fine, not that the Earth will be fine anyways, that nearly everyone cares about. About not only the well-being of the humans living today, but the humans who live in the future. Not just that they survive and have food, but that they can enjoy a beautiful natural world with beautiful biological diversity.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 13:53:22 »
Who cares?

Um... I hope you care if humanity lives and prospers into the future. It would be depressingly nihilistic of you if you didn't

(methinks you probably misunderstood my previous response)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 13:54:46 »
Who cares?

i care quite a bit...

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 14:39:47 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;223970
Um... I hope you care if humanity lives and prospers into the future. It would be depressingly nihilistic of you if you didn't

(methinks you probably misunderstood my previous response)

At this point I don't... We are doing quite fine, but we could let some other species in couple millenias to try too...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 17:50:46 »
Quote from: mike;223835
Sigh. If you need this explaining after the amount of information floating around for years, then you won't understand the answer.

mike: Do you feel better now?  Just remember that you're the one that turned this personal when you start acting all butt-sore in your next post.

Telling me that I wouldn't "understand" the answer is such a cop out, and an obvious sign that YOU don't know the answer.  You're full of ****, and have been as long as I've seen you on geekhack.  Answering a question with an elitist and smug "you wouldn't get it anyway" shows me that you have no interest in discussion of the topic if it strays one iota from your accepted view of the world, and would rather get a hard-on from talking down to people.  You don't know me, and never will, but I can guarantee you that I have no problems following logic, if you indeed have any to offer.  Since you most likely don't, and would rather go ad hom., I'll play along on your level, you ****ing ass-rash.

As for Ekaros and his anti-human sentiment, be careful or you might end up like the disgruntled Discovery Channel bomber.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 18:05:50 »
Nature tends to establish itself into an equilibrium to deal with these things. Some CO2 is produced naturally, and some is eaten up by plant life. Some destroys the ozone layer, but that's alright, because the ozone layer will actually rebuild itself of its own accord. The issue of course is that we're a) dramatically increasing the amounts of CO2 being pumped into the air and b) destroying plant life that does a very good job of eating the excess CO2 up, so the ozone layer is being damaged quicker than it can repair itself normally.

Truth be told, I'm more interested in CO2 in terms of the very tangible effects of pollution as opposed to this whole climate change thing, but there's the basic jyst of it.

Offline mike

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 13:30:35 »
Quote from: Oqsy;224026
mike: Do you feel better now?  Just remember that you're the one that turned this personal when you start acting all butt-sore in your next post.

Hmm ... "environazi" seems pretty insulting. To be perfectly honest I thought you were trolling. "Butt-sore" ? Not at all, just bored of explaining the bleeding obvious (well I didn't need "carbon neutral" explained and I'm hardly an expert in this area having had my last science lesson in this sort of area more than 25 years ago).

But as I'm in a different mood tonight ...

Sure, burning fossil fuels can be considered carbon neutral over the lifetime of this planet. But most in this thread are concerned with climate change and the factors that influence climate change during the "geological now" (say today +/- 200 years).

If you're concerned about the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere now, burning fossil fuels that last turned O2 into CO2 millions of years ago is bad because it increases CO2 in the atmosphere. Burning stuff that was turning O2 into CO2 recently will release CO2 into the atmosphere, but averaged out won't increase the CO2 in the atmosphere.

Of course you can burn fossil fuels in a carbon neutral manner by ensuring that the CO2 released is captured or balanced in some way.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 05:51:53 »
Ultimately we have to get our energy footprint down, whether we like it or not. (Of course we can put our head in the sand and ignore the problem altogether, which would be all too human, but that has rarely led to any solutions.) There just isn't any way of generating electric energy that would be truly environmentally neutral.
Burning coal - releases plenty of historic carbon into the armosphere. (Same goes for oil.)
Nuclear power - is based on the premise that one day we'll find a safe way of permanently disposing of radioactive waste. (Seems like a bulletproof concept, right...?)
Water power - creates huge artificial lakes and changes whole ecosystems.
Solar power - may require more power for panels and stuff than it ever produces at the current technological level.
Wind power - not too bird-friendly.
Moreover, most of the renewable energy sources tend to fluctuate in output significantly, requiring more buffering capacity than we currently have. Saving energy still is a big problem. Actually this is why cars still use antiquated fossil fuel - hard to beat the energy density. I think making cars more efficient (e.g. hybrid concepts and such) is more promising than going all electric, save for problematic metropolitan areas.
For obvious thermodynamic reasons, just about all the energy ever produced from non-renewable sources ultimately ends up heating up our atmosphere. Doesn't make the whole climate change thing any better.

I think it would be interesting to see a total (lifetime) energy footprint for the things we use. Wouldn't be surprising if long-lived devices fared better here, in spite of possible higher energy consumption in use. Not to mention the amounts of plastic floating around in certain sea areas.

BTW, there are more things contributing to greenhouse effect than just CO2. Methane is a highly effective greenhouse gas, for example. Now humans have reduced the areas of moors, but they breed lots of cattle instead.

Ozone layer depletion is another issue that doesn't have much to do with CO2 but rather other gases. The stuff used in fridges and stuff nowadays is less hazardous, but still anything but harmless.

For some more fun, the Earth's magnetic field is expected to turn around in no more than a few hundred years, which would be long overdue. The resulting temporary weaking and chaotic behavior will leave our planet without protection from the solar wind. Increased radiation levels won't make things any easier for us down here, not to mention shortwave propagation will be screwed up bigtime, but the poor satellites will have some real fun up there.

BTW, the correct spelling should be "anthropogenic".
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 September 2010, 06:00:35 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 09:25:27 »
If you all are concerned about CO2 in the atmosphere, you better dry up those oceans. They emit almost all of it.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 11:01:18 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;224389
breed lots of cattle instead.

yea, but getting people to become mostly vegetarian (again for the personal health benefits as much as for the environmental benefits of reducing animal farm runoff into our streams and rivers and reducing cattle-methane and reducing destruction of amazon for grazing grounds) -- seems to really piss people off even more than global warming theory.  Even tho it similarly makes sense on multiple/independent levels.

For some more fun, the Earth's magnetic field is expected to turn around in no more than a few hundred years

yea i saw that discovery channel special too -- it was excellent! :-D  And kinda scary.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 11:36:26 »
I thought we were done with the vegetarian debate,
omnivores=win!

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 12:26:30 »
For some more fun, the Earth's magnetic field is expected to turn around in no more than a few hundred years,
Ah, the last time I heard of this, it was expected to happen somewhere around the year 4000 A.D., which is several hundred years away.

Nostradamus predicted that the end of the world would come in 3797, but then he was two years early as to when the King of Terror would come from the sky.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 14:04:28 »
Quote from: Lanx;224427
I thought we were done with the vegetarian debate,
omnivores=win!

I don't think cutting down on meat production/consumption and vegetarianism are equivalent. As far as I know, people in Western countries are eating more red meat than is healthy anyway.

Besides, isn't McDonalds alone one of the biggest producers/consumers of beef on the planet? Think about how many problems we would get rid of if we got rid of them...

Offline Lanx

« Reply #50 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 14:20:22 »
Quote from: ch_123;224454

Besides, isn't McDonalds alone one of the biggest producers/consumers of beef on the planet? Think about how many problems we would get rid of if we got rid of them...

it'd create more problems cuz then ppl would have to find uses for dollar bills cuz there'd be no dollar menu! double cheeseburger for a dollar, what!
(i don't goto mcdees for their burgers, only for the fries and nuggets, one reason is cuz there is a 5gives next o my mcdonalds, literally 20ft away, i get my burgers there)

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 14:28:52 »
Maybe we should force everyone to keep their houses 10-20 degrees cooler to slow their metabolisms and make eating less frequent.

Sorry, but when the words "make" and "force" enter the conversation, it's obvious that you're not interested in fixing the problem, just in finding the people who are "guilty" and making them pay in whatever way possible.  Taxes, prohibitions, or banishment.

Just wait until something you do, or something about who or what you are becomes the target of these methods and you'll finally start to catch on.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 14:33:11 »
i dont think any kind of force would work, but raising awareness of consequences and generating debate is the way to do it.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 14:34:07 »
Last I checked, "make" and "force" are the basis of laws in any civilized society.

And I eat red meat, so I'm not sure what the second bit is about. Haven't had a McDonalds for a very long time though...

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 14:34:37 »
Nuclear power - is based on the premise that one day we'll find a safe way of permanently disposing of radioactive waste. (Seems like a bulletproof concept, right...?)

Time to resurrect the 50-60 year old Project Orion, and use it to blast nuclear waste into the Sun.

I remember a documentary where one of the chief scientists involved in the project said he was glad Orion never came to fruition, because he calculated the radioactivity generated by one of these behemoth spacecraft taking off would, statistically speaking, be responsible for one person on the planet dying, and he didn't want that on his conscience. That seems to be a rather blinkered - dare I say even selfish - attitude to take. You need to weigh up all the pros and cons. If you used Orion to dispose of more dangerous matter than it generates, then you are saving lives as the net effect, and opening up all kinds of exciting possibilities.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 14:46:43 »
Quote from: ch_123;224468

Haven't had a McDonalds for a very long time though...

me neither, thank goodness. I'm an oatmeal fiend now. Feels great and I look better.

I still enjoy a good burger now and then but never mcd's and only once every week or two.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 15:54:45 »
Quote from: ch_123;224454
I don't think cutting down on meat production/consumption and vegetarianism are equivalent. As far as I know, people in Western countries are eating more red meat than is healthy anyway.

People would eat somewhere else and spend money somewhere else. Only realistic way to lessen the stress on ecology and output of CO2 is to lessen the population. Of course, in short run there is some ethical issues, with most people...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 15:59:59 »
I'm a sceptic. I really don't believe that science has made a strong enough case to warrant massive changes to the way we live. The theory is plausible, but not convincing. That various 'worst case' predictions have been found to be grossly exaggerated doesn't help any, and the way some scientists have conducted themselves has massively damaged the credibility of the science as a whole.

Fundamentally, I have a problem with the basic goal of measuring global temperature as a single value. Seems to me that it is impossible to calculate that with any reasonable accuracy. I mean that even if there were a million 'ideal' monitoring stations globally, I don't think it would be accurate to the level you'd need to spot changes, even over decades. What we actually have is far, far less ideal than that - only a few thousand, and many in debatable locations. And when you get into the realm of proxies for historical temperatures it all becomes very insubstantial. I'm not saying it's impossible to get useful information out of what we have, but I strongly disagree with the headline grabbing 'global temperature' notion.

Full size electric vehicles are a dead end I think. For the UK's fleet to go electric would need roughly 6 million tonnes of batteries per year, and 6 new large power stations to charge them up! To be efficient, the cars need to be made from more exotic materials to keep the weight down. It's a fine idea on the small scale, but it just wouldn't scale up well.

Sad truth is that while there is oil coming out the ground, we're going to burn it one way or another. Nothing else competes on the combination of price and convenience (even here in Europe where petrol prices are over double what they are in the States). The economics of it all is what will force change, not concern for CO2 levels. No matter how much extra we end up getting taxed in the name of CO2, it can never have as much influence as oil being, say, $1000 a barrel.

Scientists in future millenia will look back at our small blip in CO2, and possibly a corresponding small blip in temperature, and say 'yep, that's when they burnt all the oil'.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 17:13:41 »
What's the latest on the Hydrogen Fuel Cells? They were sounding relatively promising the last I heard.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 18:01:02 »
The global warming theory is bad science presented fraudulently.
http://www.climateaudit.info/pdf/mcintyre.ee.2005.pdf

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 18:32:27 »
Quote from: ch_123;224509
What's the latest on the Hydrogen Fuel Cells? They were sounding relatively promising the last I heard.

I think the fuel-cell tech it self is pretty solid. H part of equation is the harder. Way to safely store, produce and distribute it are issues, production in mass scale is hard from clean sources. Making it inself with ways like electrolysis from di-hydrogenoxide isn't too efficient.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 18:37:55 »
For the lulz, I wonder if you could argue that the inefficient processes are offset by the huge energy consumption involved in getting oil out of the ground in the first place... Sounds like the sort of thing that an economist would do :P

Offline Lanx

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 19:05:10 »
Quote from: Rajagra;224469
Time to resurrect the 50-60 year old Project Orion, and use it to blast nuclear waste into the Sun.

Rocket would fail and fall down back to earth sooner or later, i mean look at the challenger disasters and such, we're having the lowest bidder build million dollar vehicles.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 19:05:14 »
Quote from: Rajagra;224520
http://www.climateaudit.info/pdf/mcintyre.ee.2005.pdf

And Climategate was investigated (in part at least) by a cozy chat over a cup of tea...
The Oxburgh report
McIntyre's comment
Orlowski's ridicule (he's utterly biased, but amusing)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 19:06:15 »
Quote from: ch_123;224529
For the lulz, I wonder if you could argue that the inefficient processes are offset by the huge energy consumption involved in getting oil out of the ground in the first place... Sounds like the sort of thing that an economist would do :P

BP would be the first to tell you that it's far more expensive to get it to stay in the ground!!!!

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 20:19:37 »
Quote from: Rajagra;224520
No, it isn't. The leading opponents of global warming fall into two main categories:

Oil company shills.

Fundamentalist religious types who consider all this ecology stuff an attempt to deny that the world won't end until God says so.

It is true that mainstream scientists are being, as they would perceive it... responsible... in presenting this to the public. So they are avoiding saying anything, even though it is true, that might, if misunderstood, confuse a naive person into thinking "oh, that global warming stuff isn't all that serious". So, yes, in their public communications, they have been... tidying things up.

Based on their own past experience of science news stories getting garbled (i.e. the "Mars Hoax" E-mails, deriving from a close opposition of Mars, that claimed it would look like the full Moon - without a telescope) and their perception of the urgency of this issue, they're trying to ensure that one slip of the tongue doesn't doom the planet to catastrophe.

But one is damned if one does and damned if one doesn't, and naturally this lends itself to accusations of dishonesty.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 23:23:22 »
Quote from: quadibloc;224559
No, it isn't. The leading opponents of global warming fall into two main categories:

Oil company shills.

Fundamentalist religious types who consider all this ecology stuff an attempt to deny that the world won't end until God says so.

So which am I?

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 00:19:54 »
Quote from: Oqsy;224581
So which am I?

Probably not a "leading opponent".

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 11:59:39 »
Oh, I'm way ahead of the rest, bro.

And by the way, I'm sure he meant leading opponents of the "theory", because opponents of the process would be most everyone, even people who didn't believe in the "theory".

It would be nice if people like quadcocklove would actually post information that supports his position, instead of just trying to assassinate the character of those opposed to the theory he supports, but then again this is no surprise, and is the way garbage like this gets so popular in the first place.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 14:21:54 »
Quote from: Oqsy;224678
actually post information that supports his position,
There's tons of it already out there, from the best and most reputable sources.

I realize that Scientific American, for example, does sometimes carry articles on nuclear disarmament issues, for example, that show a liberal bias. But what about Nature or Discover? Just to start with popular sources.

It's not rocket science. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas - that's a fact. So is methane. And human activity has put more of those into the atmosphere.

Yes, water vapor is also a greenhouse gas. It gets into the atmosphere naturally. But guess what controls how much water vapor there is in the atmosphere? Temperature. So it's a feedback mechanism that boosts the effects of man-made greenhouse gases, not a reason for saying they're irrelvant.

Also, the Sun is currently in an unusually quiet period, not an unusually active one. So the Sun isn't making the Earth warmer than usual.

And it is warmer than usual. Ice is being lost from the Arctic, grizzly bears are moving north and annoying the polar bears, and, as well, the amount of carbon dioxide dissolved in the ocean is rising - causing other problems because of increased ocean acidity.

If you choose to believe the people saying that global warming is bunk, instead of listening to the broad mainstream of the relevant portion of the scientific community... you're in the same position as someone who believes in flying saucers, or says that Einstein was wrong, or that Genesis was right instead of Darwin.

Instead of me writing a textbook just for you, the advice you need is this - stop listening to the kooks, crazies, and conspiracy theorists, and start listening to the people who actually know what they're talking about.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 14:34:20 »
Quote from: quadibloc;224559
mainstream scientists ... in their public communications, they have been... tidying things up.

Quote from: quadibloc;224717
the advice you need is this - stop listening to the kooks, crazies, and conspiracy theorists, and start listening to the people who actually know what they're talking about.

Yes, listen to the people who are talking down to us. We don't need to understand the facts, we need to have faith and blindly follow what they say we have to do. Follow the global warming religion.

Just remember when they wheel out the tired old hockey stick graph that dramatically shows when we started causing global warming, that they are STILL unable to deliver the data it was based on.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 16:21:36 »
Quote from: Rajagra;224718
Yes, listen to the people who are talking down to us. We don't need to understand the facts, we need to have faith and blindly follow what they say we have to do. Follow the global warming religion.
Nobody's stopping you from reading the literature.

To explain how they figured this stuff out, they'd have to use math; like algebra and calculus. Most people don't follow that, so, yes, they "talk down" in their public communications. Quacks don't have that problem - they don't know more than ordinary people, so whatever reasoning they used, they can indeed explain it in full, and it might even sound impressive to people who don't know any better.

The Wikipedia page on the subject

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

might be a good place to start if you want to pursue the topic more seriously. Note that the page is locked.

And I saw what looked like a "hockey stick" graph there - they give five references for it, though.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 18:10:37 »
Quote from: quadibloc;224737
Nobody's stopping you from reading the literature.

They are. They are doing worse than that. They are refusing to release their source data to the scientific community (let alone the public), claiming it would be "inappropriate." How can it be inappropriate to do that? Did the data come from an anonymous source whose life would be in danger if the secret was revealed? No. They are just afraid of how bad they would look if they revealed the truth in full.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 19:02:28 »
Quote from: ripster;224003

Ripster, do you know if the original movie was significantly cut for the Western World?? That preview has a number sequences that don't appear in my English-subtitled region 1 version, for example the small creature crawling between the human legs on yellow terrain at 1:24.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 20:25:51 »
In my web search after watching that trailer, to learn more about Nausicaa - although I had heard of it before - I had seen a claim that the first English version was changed into something much more oriented towards younger children. The original Japanese movie was about how Nausicaa stopped a war between two surviving groups of humans on a devastated Earth.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 20:37:39 »
The truth does not have to be complex, unless it's being twisted to serve a purpose.

The water vapor argument has many more facets that you completely glossed over, including CLOUD FORMATION, which in fact, COOLS the planet, and decreases the amount heat reaching the surface from sunlight.  I realize weather and climate systems are much more complex than will ever be done justice here, but just realize that for every little "IT'S A FACT BECAUSE OF THIS!" there is an example of why it doesn't work that way, and why you should question the logic and purposes of those treating you as heretics for daring to ask.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 22:40:03 »
Quote from: ripster;224763
The baby ohmu is in the Disney version.  Actually, the Disney version isn't all that bad - Patrick Stewart and Uma Thurman did a good job on it.

If I remember right Miyazaki managed to get all his films released uncut.

makes me vomit to hear anyone give praise to anime dubbing.
Please watch anime w/ subtitles!

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 07:27:17 »
Quote from: Oqsy;224780
The truth does not have to be complex, unless it's being twisted to serve a purpose.
Sometimes the truth is simple and easy for everyone to understand. Sometimes it's complex. If the truth wasn't complex some of the time, the Norman Conquest would have been fought with jet airplanes.

I can see oil companies having a purpose in damping down public concern over global warming.

But I can also see leftists trying to encourage concern over global warming or any other sort of pollution issue so as to cripple the U.S. militarily. A lot of college-educated people - even engineers and scientists, not just arts grads - are against the Iraq war. So I don't deny that some caution is warranted.

But when you've got the scientific community weighing in, not just advocates like Al Gore and friends, for global warming to be a deliberate hoax is as implausible as for the Apollo moon landing to have been a hoax.

Do we really know that the last few warm years weren't just due to the El Nino/La Nina natural oscillation? Well, in fact, they were due to exactly that... but they were warmer than the last bunch of warm years from that cause, and it's the difference that is being blamed on greenhouse gases. Which are known to be at an elevated level in the atmosphere. And we know we're putting them in the atmosphere at a faster rate than ever before, so it isn't the warmer temperatures that are causing the carbon dioxide or methane levels, except perhaps as an additional feedback mechanism.

Since we don't have an exact, complete, and full understanding of all the feedback systems in the Earth's ecology - prudence demands that we refrain from doing anything to the system the consequences of which we don't understand. We've been lucky so far, because human activity has been on a small scale relative to the environment.

But going back to nature isn't an option. Millions - no, billions - would starve if we gave up modern technology. If, as is more likely, the advanced Western democracies did this, even on a limited scale, the result is that the world would likely descend into an eternal night of slavery, as dictatorships retained their technology and the military might which technology grants.

This would be hopeless. But we have one alternative left. Nuclear power. We can save all our oil for making plastics - and fueling our tanks and personnel carriers and the like in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Let the joke be on the eco-freaks who protested against nuclear power long before they worried about global warming.

We don't have to take a chance on creating warmer weather that would cause some species to become extinct and lead to some Third World nations having crop failures, which would get them disappointed with us. We can avoid that risk entirely, and move towards restoring the historical natural concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere that live evolved under for tens of thousands, if not millions, of years - while still keeping our nation strong, both economically and militarily.

Energy independence (although not burning coal either doesn't affect that) would make us stronger. And my taste runs to the most risk-averse behavior possible as being the most rational, provided it's enlightened risk-averse behavior, as opposed to being driven by emotions or panic.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 16:07:44 »
Quote from: quadibloc;224853
move towards restoring the historical natural concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere that live evolved under for tens of thousands, if not millions, of years

Yes, this is an important point.
Plants, and our own primate ancestors evolved when the levels of atmospheric CO2 were at least 1000 ppm ... far above our current level of about 380 ppm.

Current CO2 levels are less than half of when we evolved.

Did you know that we need CO2 in the air we breathe, otherwise we suffocate? Hemoglobin needs it to allow transfer of oxygen. In tests where they pumped pure oxygen into rats' lungs, they suffocated. One theory behind asthma is that insufficient CO2 is the cause, and correcting the problem gives relief.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 16:42:26 »
Quote from: Rajagra;224963
One theory behind asthma is that insufficient CO2 is the cause, and correcting the problem gives relief.

so what you're saying is, our air pollution will give us asthma, but our global warming will fix it!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 16:45:05 »
Quote from: wellington1869;224968
so what you're saying is, our air pollution will give us asthma, but our global warming will fix it!

Yin and Yang.

Cue ripster's LEGO pic.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 17:02:38 »
frankly i dont know why we bother fixing anything. After all the moon is moving away from the earth at the rate of an inch/year, which will devastate earth's magnetic fields, tides, and weather patterns at some point when its stabilizing gravity is lost to us. Not to mention the sun will go supernova and die out at some point too. At that point the earth will be a cold lifeless world drifting in the universe forever or until it smashes into jupiter.  All that will remain of our species and our civilization will be one last final spectacular planetary collision as all traces of us and our earth are lost forevermore.  The universe has no memory.

right?

think i'll go suck on a tailpipe right now. same difference.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 19:10:17 »
Quote from: wellington1869;224968
Not surprising. I just read a news item today that said the use of low sulfur coal was eliminating natural particles that helped promote extra rain... which was shielding the Amazon from drought caused by global warming.

So going to cleaner coal has drawbacks; but going away from coal to nuclear will keep our silver from tarnishing and protect the rainforest too.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 19:13:52 »
Only drawlable conclusion is that there is side to everything and you shouldn't belive most of researches... Or atleast they are all right, with messed things up...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 22:23:15 »
Quote from: Ekaros;225019
Only drawlable conclusion is that there is side to everything and you shouldn't belive most of researches... Or atleast they are all right, with messed things up...

well, i think the lesson is that we have a choice between tarnished silver or breatheable air.  And I loves me untarnished silver.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 22:31:39 »
I like boobies and nascar.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 01:53:41 »
Thank you Ripster.  Once again, always right on cue.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 07:48:41 »
I would look for the George Carlin bit on pollution and how the earth will continue on without us and all that, but I'm lazy.  I will reward someone handsomely with a metric ass-ton of nothing if they post it.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 10:05:02 »
Quote from: itlnstln;225110
I would look for the George Carlin bit on pollution and how the earth will continue on without us and all that, but I'm lazy.  I will reward someone handsomely with a metric ass-ton of nothing if they post it.

What's the link for LetMeGoogleThatForYou?
I can't be bothered to find it. :rofl:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 10:14:40 »
Here's your prize: