Author Topic: [COMPLETED!] WYSE Moogle Kits!  (Read 91384 times)

Offline Denonic

[SHIPPING DELAYED] WYSE Moogle Kits!
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 18:25:12 »
Quote from: litster;544929
With Wyse, unless you have a NIB copy, you are not going to get 100% color match because most used caps are yellowed to different degrees.  But, you can see your set's original order if you look under the cap, where the ABS plastic didn't get any UV exposure.

Quote from: heliar;533480
looks like the layout is going to change very soon

Show Image

Show Image

I bought a 95% new one and they looks just like these.  Obviously this moogle kit will be a little hard to match everybody's.   Luckily most of the moogled keys are the darker grey which seems to show less variation than the white ones.  Best bet, use the underside to match the blue and grey like litster said.

Offline captain

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 18:25:20 »
Ok, let me help.  Here is my Filco Camo TKL with keys from my Wyse50 installed on the alpha, arrows, and Function-keys.  Below is the SP ABS chip set, culled to eliminate the obviously not even close.  The two upside down keys are ESC and Numpad-3.  Y'all are correct, my keys have yellowed on top.  Too bad those are not the original colors, as I think they look better, but what do y'all think best matches the underside?  

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43978[/ATTACH]

I think SPACE should be in the lighter color, and all the other modifiers in the darker color.

It would be really nice if we could get a FULL SET of new keys, so the aging won't be a problem.  I don't think there are any new Wyse keysets, are there?  They're all from the 1980s and 1990s, as far as I know.

PS: the proper blue for the legends is BFU
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2012, 18:30:07 by captain »
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline captain

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 18:35:19 »
PPS: I would suggest we include the   ~`   key in the DARKer color too.  The ~` key that comes with Wyse is lighter, and throws off the symmetry of the Filco TKL.  Space Bar in LIGHTER color, right?  Otherwise, it makes the alphas look "caged".  ;-)
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline captain

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 18:46:45 »
ALERT!  The reason we need a     ~`    key in this Moogle kit is not only because of the color, but also because of the extremely different profile!  I don't think we want this:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43979[/ATTACH]

Offline Denonic

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 18:56:33 »
Quote from: captain;545035
ALERT!  The reason we need a     ~`    key in this Moogle kit is not only because of the color, but also because of the extremely different profile!  I don't think we want this:

(Attachment Link) 43979[/ATTACH]

My one is fine but I bought the PCE version.  I do see your point about using the darker grey though.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 18:56:41 »
Quote from: captain;545035

(Attachment Link) 43979[/ATTACH]

I did the same thing.  You don't have to use the lowered ~` key.  You use it because it is of the thicker kind.  IIRC, you can the ~` keycap at the correct R1 profile from a Wyse keyboard that also gives you the long shifts.  The ~` key color is the same as the rest.  It looks different because the shadow fools your brain.

Offline Denonic

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 19:08:04 »
Quote from: captain;545011
(Attachment Link) 43978[/ATTACH]

I think SPACE should be in the lighter color, and all the other modifiers in the darker color.

PS: the proper blue for the legends is BFU

Maybe take a shot with the bottom of the two keys facing up next to the blue chipsets as well as the closest greys if you can?

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 19:25:09 »
Quote from: captain;544928
Please give me the SP ABS chip colors that this GB run is going to use.  Anyone?

Look at post 128 just up the page. Colour chips are being discussed and matched.
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 19:36:39 »
Captain: I have a WYSE50 that needed retrobriting, a WYSE60 that needed it a little, but I ran out of h2o2 and a WYSE30 that doesn't need anything. I can affirm that the keys are more grey than brown, and that ones that have yellowed with age look browner.

Also, the tilde key on WYSE 30,50 or 60 is definitely a different row, as it's normally located on the QWERTY row. The function and number rows are the same profile, the QWERTY row is a different. The ASDF row is different, and the bottom two are the same. This is usually 112344 or 443211 defending on if youre WASD/filco or SP. Either way, the tilde key should be available (please?)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 20:23:32 »
I REALLY don't want to add keys to the buy so close to its conclusion. Doing so would inevitably change prices, and having to follow up with every person who ordered (about 30 at this point) to make sure they're ok with the price changes would delay us significantly.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 20:26:08 »
i have a feeling that even with the base set and add on set im going to be missing keycaps
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 20:27:00 »
I think for the color codes GE and BFU look to be the closest to me.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 20:29:02 »
btw PMd you my order
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline lan123

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 21:40:17 »
Bump for the aweosme thread.

Offline Denonic

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 22:01:53 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44009[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44010[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44011[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44012[/ATTACH]

Made this comparing the flattest bit of the key at the back due to lighting difference affecting that area the least.  A shot with it lined up with the the keys would be a better way to get more accurate lighting.

I lean more towards GTV for the dark grey when comparing the flat grey bit.  The blue for me actually looks more like BBI than BFU and for the space bar GBA was the only thing that blended.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2012, 22:32:14 by Denonic »

Offline captain

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 22:14:30 »
Quote from: litster;544938
You need to know this by heart when your post count is over 200!  LOL!

Seriously!  I guess the whiskey and rum has taken its toll. ;-P

Offline captain

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 22:57:03 »
Quote from: litster;545043
I did the same thing.  You don't have to use the lowered ~` key.  You use it because it is of the thicker kind.  IIRC, you can the ~` keycap at the correct R1 profile from a Wyse keyboard that also gives you the long shifts.  The ~` key color is the same as the rest.  It looks different because the shadow fools your brain.

You completely missed my point. I DO have to use a ~ key. And if I use the Wyse one, it sits WAY too low.

My color complaint is that it is of the lighter color, instead of the darker color. The shadow in my photo is immaterial. the color pattern is broken by not having the ~ key and the modifiers in the darker shade.

I hope that is clearer.

Offline captain

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:00:04 »
Quote from: Denonic;545055
Maybe take a shot with the bottom of the two keys facing up next to the blue chipsets as well as the closest greys if you can?

Why?  Just use your color picker and compare colors. I used flash for best possible color fidelity.

Offline Denonic

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:06:21 »
Quote from: captain;545285
Why?  Just use your color picker and compare colors. I used flash for best possible color fidelity.

Yeh I went and just frankensteined your photo.  Check post #165.

Offline litster

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:30:04 »
Quote from: captain;545282
You completely missed my point. I DO have to use a ~ key. And if I use the Wyse one, it sits WAY too low.

some people have the ~` key at the right profile

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44019[/ATTACH]

My color complaint is that it is of the lighter color, instead of the darker color. The shadow in my photo is immaterial. the color pattern is broken by not having the ~ key and the modifiers in the darker shade.

I hope that is clearer.

And since when the ~` needs to be the same color as the modifiers?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44020[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44021[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44022[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44023[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44025[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44026[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44027[/ATTACH]

Offline captain

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:34:50 »
Quote from: Denonic;545292
Yeh I went and just frankensteined your photo.  Check post #165.

Good job; but you had a good point initially, so here you go:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44028[/ATTACH]

The colors that I placed closest are the ones that I think match the best.  I realized that the BBI sometimes looks closer, but I am almost certain that the blie is BFU.

I hope y'all appreciate that I am [strike]giving up[/strike] eschewing momentarily booze, babes, and movies to help out here!  ;-)
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:47:38 by captain »

Offline litster

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:35:10 »
Quote from: captain;545285

Flash does not equate color fidelity.

Offline captain

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:38:20 »
Quote from: litster;545313
some people have the ~` key at the right profile
And since when the ~` needs to be the same color as the modifiers?
Thanks litster

People with a usable ~ are lucky bastards!  

Good point, and data points, on the ~ color, but to my eye it would look better in the same shade as the modifiers, just as I prefer my \ key to be the same color as Backspace and Return.  I guess I'll have to do my own GB on a ~ key once we pick colors for this set.  :-)

Quote from: litster;545318
Flash does not equate color fidelity.

And that is, alas, all too true.  But it does help.  At least it's a full-spectrum light, and the camera's color balance is automatically set correctly for the light, so it doesn't matter what colors predominate in the subject.  I was just sayin' it wasn't shot at sunset under a purple tarp, with candles in the background!  ;-)
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:40:33 by captain »

Offline litster

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:42:01 »
Don't get me wrong, for people who don't have the right ~` key, they need one like they need the \| and capslock keys in the group buy (how about tab?).  So I think that is a good idea.

I just don't think making the ~` key to the same color as the modifiers makes any sense at all.

Offline captain

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:50:18 »
Oh crap!  Good call. Yep. We need tab keys too. I may be OUT of this buy after all. Sorry.
If you look at my camo Filco you'll see how much of the wyse I was able to use.

It is design sense that dictates the ~ key match the other "surround" keys. It doesn't look as good to have that dangling chad out there.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:53:55 by captain »

Offline Denonic

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 00:00:31 »
Quote from: captain;545317
Good job; but you had a good point initially, so here you go:

(Attachment Link) 44028[/ATTACH]

The colors that I placed closest are the ones that I think match the best.  I realized that the BBI sometimes looks closer, but I am almost certain that the blie is BFU.

I hope y'all appreciate that I am [strike]giving up[/strike] eschewing momentarily booze, babes, and movies to help out here!  ;-)

Haha theres no reason you can't be boozing whilst doing this!  Definitely appreciated.

Also thats a much better picture.  So I guess from that we can pretty much deduce that the space bar's white should be GBA and the blue should be BFU.  What do you guys think?  As for the grey modifiers I'm a little thrown off now.  From that second image I'd probably lean more towards GJV than GTV where as it was the other way from the first image.  It might even be more like GSY?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 00:43:52 »
Quote from: Quarzac;545121
I REALLY don't want to add keys to the buy so close to its conclusion. Doing so would inevitably change prices, and having to follow up with every person who ordered (about 30 at this point) to make sure they're ok with the price changes would delay us significantly.
's cool. I'm okay with WYSE profile differences, but it's not a full moogle kit (which will bother some people). In practice, the spacebar-row backspace I used for a month wasn't all that bad, and this is a much lesser change on a more-unused key.

Edit: I'm going to have to buy some more WYSE keyboards aren't I? This GB is getting expensive for me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 March 2012, 00:46:28 by dorkvader »

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 02:03:02 »
Can I change my order to only a base kit?  Don't need the add on kit

Offline Forin

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 02:44:56 »
We definitely need TAB in base kit.

F5-F8 keycaps should be taken into consideration.

Quote from: captain;545330
Oh crap!  Good call. Yep. We need tab keys too. I may be OUT of this buy after all. Sorry.
If you look at my camo Filco you'll see how much of the wyse I was able to use.

It is design sense that dictates the ~ key match the other "surround" keys. It doesn't look as good to have that dangling chad out there.
Ducky DK1087 MX Brown, Filco MJ1 Tenkeyless MX Blue, CM Storm MX Blue

Offline captain

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 05:01:58 »
I hate to throw the monkey wrench into the GB, but if I am going to stay in then I want a proper Moogle Kit to fill out a Filco TKL, which should include:

keys in GTV with BFU legends
~
tab
capslock
left shift
2x 1.25 control
2x 1.25 alt
2x 1.25 windoze/command
1.25 blank
right shift
return
\
backspace

keys in GBA
space bar 6.25

(optional F5-F8 in GBA)
(possibly pg/up pg/dn scr/lock, etc. block (probably look best in GTV))
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 March 2012, 05:05:43 by captain »

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 07:52:34 »
Alright, alright, here's what I'll do. I'll mail Melissa right now, see if adding a tab key would change the cost significantly, and if it's <=$1, or maybe very slightly more, I'll just go ahead with it. Any more than that and I feel like I should run it by all purchasers, which would inevitably delay us quite a bit. I think I'm going to drop the addon kit, as I don't think 6 more sets will drum up in the next two days. Also, I'm going to close this to further international orders. I don't think I'll have the time to fill out more customs forms with college decisions coming in soon and related tasks to fulfill.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 March 2012, 10:48:49 by Quarzac »

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #181 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 10:56:34 »
Tab might be a good idea.

Kill the coloured tilde.  None of my boards have a tilde that matches the modifier.

If your particular set has a lower profile I'm sure there are other cheap key sets and maybe someone can help you find an extra.  But I don't think a dark tilde belongs in a group buy change for everyone.  As far as I've ever seen nobody has ever made a two tone board where the tilde is modifier coloured. That doesn't mean you can't do it. Just that it probably isn't what people are going for.  It might stick out like the miss coloured caps lock from the thick pbt buy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 March 2012, 22:16:00 by jellowiggler »
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline Surly73

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 12:07:53 »
Anyone willing to bounce a set to Canada?

Depending on the answers to a couple of questions I've PMed I am interested in a set.

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 12:27:02 »
They ship to Canada.  I'm up here, I've got one coming.  Just order.  You don't need a proxy.
Mike -jellowiggler-

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 14:01:23 »
Quote from: jellowiggler;545744
Tab might be a good idea.

Kill the coloured tilde.  None of my boards have a tilde that matches the modifier.

If your particular set has a lower profile I'm sure there are other cheap key sets and maybe someone can help you find an extra.  But I don't think it belongs in a group buy change for everyone.
See, if you have a WYSE PCE, then you don't need some of these caps anyway. If you have an older WYSE terminal, then you'll need the ~` key regardless. I'm not worried about it, but I'm okay with blatantly off profile keys. In the interest of a complete moogle kit, you'll need to include one.

I'm already buying a keyboard for this.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 14:27:44 »
Quote from: jellowiggler;545841
They ship to Canada.  I'm up here, I've got one coming.  Just order.  You don't need a proxy.
I closed it to further international orders because I already have 10 and don't have the time to fill out a million customs forms.

Offline captain

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 14:39:31 »
My revised color recommendations, after viewing under various light sources, and accounting for yellowing of the backs too:

GG - dark gray
BFU - dark blue
GBA - light grey

Offline captain

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 14:43:30 »
Since the GB will be over the $100 minimum, can you ask how much it would cost to ADD one (or a few) ~ key in the BFU on GG color combo, please?  I don't mind paying $5 for one key, but I don't want to have to pay $100min for a direct order.  It sounds like there might be several of us who would like to have that ~ key in dark, either to fix the profile and/or for design and balance aesthetics.

Offline litster

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 15:07:41 »
Like I said, making a ~ key available is fine.  Making a ~ key the same darker color as modifiers makes absolutely no sense at all.  

I have no idea where your "design" and "balance aesthetics" come from.  The moogle kit is for complementing an existing Wyse keycap set that is used on a modern Cherry-based keyboard windows  1.25x modifers (addon kit for 1.5x modifiers).  I can't find any example of keyboards, including older school two-tone Cherry keyboards like black on white (double shot or dye sub) and Dolch, IBM model M, and newer Realforce keyboards that has the ~ in the same darker color as the modifiers.  If you have any, you should show it to use how much better its design and balanced aesthetics is.

If you want to make a separate kit that the 3 of you want, go ahead.  Just don't add it to the base kit or the addon kit.  Please don't make it sound like we have no sense of design or balance aesthetics because we want to use follow existing keyboard color schemes as our guideline, which what a moogle kit should be.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 15:17:18 »
If a ~ key is added, it will be in the lighter tones of the alphanumerics. A tab key, however, would be darker. However, I still haven't heard from Melissa about it.

Offline litster

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 15:28:54 »
Quote from: Quarzac;545999
If a ~ key is added, it will be in the lighter tones of the alphanumerics. A tab key, however, would be darker. However, I still haven't heard from Melissa about it.

^^^
This makes sense.  

Sense, dark ~ key does not make.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 21:07:25 »
Quote from: Quarzac;545973
I closed it to further international orders because I already have 10 and don't have the time to fill out a million customs forms.
I'm only worknig 30Hrs/week, so anyone wanting international sets, PM me, and I'll figure out shipping.

Quote from: Quarzac;545999
See, this makes sense. Thanks, Quarzac.

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 22:23:29 »
Currently at 43 base kits. 7 orders to get a good price drop!
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 March 2012, 12:20:32 by jellowiggler »
Mike -jellowiggler-

Offline Changdrew

« Reply #193 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 23:54:57 »
Pm'd
CM Quickfire Rapid | Filco Majestouch 2 | Filco Linear R | Poker

Offline Denonic

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 05:56:59 »
Quote from: captain;545981
My revised color recommendations, after viewing under various light sources, and accounting for yellowing of the backs too:

GG - dark gray
BFU - dark blue
GBA - light grey

I don't think the backs would have enough yellowing to account for.  It would be so minute that you might be going in a less accurate direction by trying to compensate for it.  If that's still GG then sure.  The two photos aren't conclusive so it's all up to your eyes.

Offline shawn o

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 10:39:05 »
Ill take one base set, PM sent

Offline bavman

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 10:48:53 »
Quote from: Quarzac;545973

Smart you, I have 50 to fill out :(

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 11:21:27 »
Hope we hit the 50 mark

Sent from a phone...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Autolyze

« Reply #198 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 12:34:10 »
Is anyone opposed to just doubling the base orders or something if we're under 50? Two copies at the 75 mark is about the same price as one copy in the 25-49 range.

I'd also be okay with picking up a second addon kit if it would help it get produced.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 March 2012, 12:36:22 by Autolyze »

Offline dirge

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 13:10:10 »
Just get the base over 50 people!!!
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.