Author Topic: [GB] Massdrop x Zambumon GMK Nautilus Custom Keycap Set  (Read 197770 times)

Offline avid

Re: [IC] GMK Nautilus
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 16:26:57 »
If not possible to incorp blue iso into any current, id happily pay $10-15 extra.

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #351 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 02:36:49 »
what is the point of iso if i may ask, why does return need to be that big??? or is it just for the extra key on the left shift?

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #352 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 02:56:29 »
what is the point of iso if i may ask, why does return need to be that big??? or is it just for the extra key on the left shift?

both... the extra key is a nice bonus... I also like a split right shift, cause I don't see the point in having shift keys that long.

going from that mentality, the ISO, nor the ANSI Enter make sense, but the ISO enter is so satisfying to smash after entering a line! It's like a perfect commit button, as in "take this!"  ;) (the shape of ISO enter does make it easier to hit when inputting text or code angrily)

Offline pomk

« Reply #353 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 03:58:31 »
What is the point of ansi, if I may ask? ISO is at least an international standard.  ;)

Offline rioc

« Reply #354 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 03:59:42 »
What is the point of ansi, if I may ask? ISO is at least an international standard.  ;)

SHOTS FIRED

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #355 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 13:23:36 »

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #356 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 14:33:13 »
Meh, ANSI and ISO both suck. 40% FTW!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #357 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 14:46:51 »
Blue ISO enter key omitted entirely is unfortunate. Didn't notice that before, but it would be nice to squeeze it in somewhere. Too late for it to go in the base kit?

If this particular buy does not include an ISO key in base color why you have to fight for it? You should join any other of the GMK sets that includes it, instead. You are just revisiting and old and point-less discussion on ANSI vs ISO enters. I use both; but, I prefer ISO; again, I do not have to convince the community on my preferences, as long as most GMK sets include both, so I can use whatever I want.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 May 2017, 14:50:43 by ideus »

Offline AndyPock

« Reply #358 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 03:18:02 »
So GMK Yuri's Colevrak kit didn't hit MoQ, but people are saying that they have been invoiced for it meaning that GMK are going ahead with its production.

Is that a go-ahead for Nautilus Colevrak!?!?

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #359 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 03:59:40 »
So GMK Yuri's Colevrak kit didn't hit MoQ, but people are saying that they have been invoiced for it meaning that GMK are going ahead with its production.

Best results, they managed to talk GMK into lowering the the MoQ.
Don't get your hopes up too much. Massdrop could just very well refund them the difference.

Offline AndyPock

« Reply #360 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 04:17:24 »

Best results, they managed to talk GMK into lowering the the MoQ.
Don't get your hopes up too much. Massdrop could just very well refund them the difference.

Well hopefully they do make it. I hate being one of those people but it's a make or break issue for me. Not that I'm demanding it be included either. Those people **** me. I'm just gonna sit here quietly with bated breath.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #361 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 08:30:04 »
From what I remembered with the GMK carbon international kit, Massdrop just outright bought up the number of kits short of MOQ to get them produced, then they listed those extras they bought later on at one of those large stock clearance sale (not at clearance prices, mind you)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline rioc

« Reply #362 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 08:32:12 »
From what I remembered with the GMK carbon international kit, Massdrop just outright bought up the number of kits short of MOQ to get them produced, then they listed those extras they bought later on at one of those large stock clearance sale (not at clearance prices, mind you)

yep... moq was 100, only 75 sold, MD bought the rest

Offline joelfong

« Reply #363 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 11:33:51 »
I honestly think a DC kit for Nautilus would have more success than Yuri.

Nothing against Yuri itself but its colorway is a bit more niche in some sense compared to Nautilus and its DC kit still hit 46, which shows pretty decent support. Nautilus' colors should have wider general appeal and that is likely to boost the number of people buying in too.

I personally want a GMK set with DC compatibility but did not like Yuri that much so I did not support it. So I am hoping for Nautilus to include a DC kit. I will still support Nautilus regardless of whether it has one or not, but I definitely think it's worth adding it in.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #364 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 17:15:23 »
Nothing against Yuri itself but its colorway is a bit more niche in some sense compared to Nautilus and its DC kit still hit 46, which shows pretty decent support. Nautilus' colors should have wider general appeal and that is likely to boost the number of people buying in too.

I mean, I have no counter argument really but everything you just said there is complete and utterly subjective. Unless you have accurate studies proving that a yellow/deep blue theme has wider general appeal than a pale blue/orange one then why would you ever bring something like this up? It may well be the case, we'll never know until it pops up and there are still a myriad of external factors/dampeners that might affect the outcome (the fact Yuri was out 1 day after Miami Dolch and at the exact same time as K-Type, etc).

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #365 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 07:38:52 »
Yuri sold over 750 base sets which is a crap ton for a custom keycap set. And yet still only 46 DC kits. That's the proper way to think about it.. 5-6% rate for DC, and that's not going to change based on the colorway.  With moq on smaller kits usually set at 150, it's a pipe dream.
keyboards.

Offline elfick

« Reply #366 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 08:48:14 »
Yuri sold over 750 base sets which is a crap ton for a custom keycap set. And yet still only 46 DC kits. That's the proper way to think about it.. 5-6% rate for DC, and that's not going to change based on the colorway.  With moq on smaller kits usually set at 150, it's a pipe dream.
I wouldn't say it's a pipe dream, but it it probably does require a different set layout. One in which all the non-standard users help each other. If international, DC, and other alternate layouts were put into one kit we may get enough buyers for it to tip. It would be expensive, but at least we could get the keys we want.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #367 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 09:07:13 »
I wouldn't say it's a pipe dream, but it it probably does require a different set layout. One in which all the non-standard users help each other. If international, DC, and other alternate layouts were put into one kit we may get enough buyers for it to tip. It would be expensive, but at least we could get the keys we want.

International users were already *****ing about how they have to buy a kit of 3-4 times more keys than what they need for their own language. Do you think they would have a change of heart now and help out DC & exotic layouts in 1 kit too? Humour me please!

Offline elfick

« Reply #368 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 09:42:34 »

International users were already *****ing about how they have to buy a kit of 3-4 times more keys than what they need for their own language. Do you think they would have a change of heart now and help out DC & exotic layouts in 1 kit too? Humour me please!
You're absolutely right, people are going to complain. You can't stop that. But this idea is the very basis of the group buy. "I can't make this happen alone, so let's make it happen as a group." It really doesn't matter how many people complain, it just matters how many pony up the money to make it happen. Massdrop numbers show that there are generally more people interested (and willing to spend the money) on a DC kit than on the international kit so it should be the DC users complaining about supporting the vocal but non-spending i11l peeps. But I'll bet that it's the DC peeps that will be dropping the cash to make it happen. If the MOQ is 150 and the kit cost is under $150 (though I'd prefer under $100), then we only need to find 149 more peeps to make it happen.  ;D

EDIT: lest anyone think I'm claiming this thought process as my own, I'm not... Evangs basically did this very thing with Lightcycle and I'm sure there were others before that. It makes sense, particularly with GMK, to offer fewer but larger kits in hopes that all kits will tip. I.E.: base, novelties, alternate layouts. Starting from one giant kit and splitting out only the subsets that will tip on their own. Also, I'm not suggesting this be necessarily done for Nautilus but rather just in the general discussion sense. (Sorry for disrupting the thread with my ramble)  :-X
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 June 2017, 09:50:50 by elfick »

Offline Auk

« Reply #369 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 10:00:07 »
DC doesn't face a regional barrier, it really should be able to stand on its' own. International is very different. Consider how some of the ANSI users object to subsidizing the ISO keys in the base kit, so it's that sentiment dialled up to 11 and instead of encouraging buyers it gives them a compelling reason to reject the set entirely.

Offline elfick

« Reply #370 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 10:31:53 »
DC doesn't face a regional barrier, it really should be able to stand on its' own. International is very different. Consider how some of the ANSI users object to subsidizing the ISO keys in the base kit, so it's that sentiment dialled up to 11 and instead of encouraging buyers it gives them a compelling reason to reject the set entirely.
I think you could consider DC a regional kit. Or rather all regions could be considered alternate layouts (as in alternate from the base kit). The bottom line is that the goal is to have legends that match the key output, right?
I do agree this strategy would discourage some potential buyers, but if it allows $MOQ like-minding individuals to get a kit to tip, isn't that really the goal? Sure, high-quantity price drops are nice, but in the end everyone that's interested (and able) should be willing to spend the base cost to make it happen simply because they want the product.

Offline Auk

« Reply #371 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 10:53:47 »
I don't think it will ever work to keep pushing the poor value kits with large numbers of keys that will be unused. Buyers want value for their money regardless of how much disposable cash they have. We're reading GH (or Reddit or Deskthority) but I think most would not be aware of the reasoning that drives the kit grouping, they just see: "Hey these keys look awesome, what do I need for my keyboard? there's the language kit. How much? Why do I have to buy all those when I just need #? Seller is a cheat and treating us like idiots. I'm not buying this!"

I worked in an industry where similar issues occur, everyone complains about extremely high, constantly spiraling costs, but buyers really don't care about that because they are only interested in the value for their $ and they can get that better value elsewhere.

DC ought to be different because anyone using it should be able to make full use of the keys they are buying and there shouldn't be the same reason to resent paying for it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 June 2017, 10:55:51 by Auk »

Offline AndyPock

« Reply #372 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 10:56:26 »
I honestly think they should do away with MoQs in general. Have your quantity points where you drop the price by $X amount as you get into the higher quantities, but instead of saying you'll only produce it if 100 people buy it, charge the amount of money it would cost you to turn a profit if you were only producing 1, or 10, or 25. I'm an adult sized baby who shouldn't be trusted with money, because if spending $100 for the ~10 keys that I need for dvorak on what I consider to be my endgame set was an option, I'd bloody take it.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #373 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 11:10:32 »
Update time

I've been extremely busy over the last month but here is an update:

• Ergodox & Planck kit will come with R4C 2U and 1U spacebars
  • Norde will stay as it is. Offering a $60 kit isn't viable for me.
  • Dvorak & Colemak won't be offered.
  • 7 kits will be available for purchase.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #374 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 11:52:31 »
Update time

No Dvorak & Colemak kit makes it seem like MD didn't push it through for YURI

Still very excited none the less!  :thumb:

Offline elfick

« Reply #375 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 12:00:29 »
I don't think it will ever work to keep pushing the poor value kits with large numbers of keys that will be unused. Buyers want value for their money regardless of how much disposable cash they have. We're reading GH (or Reddit or Deskthority) but I think most would not be aware of the reasoning that drives the kit grouping, they just see: "Hey these keys look awesome, what do I need for my keyboard? there's the language kit. How much? Why do I have to buy all those when I just need #? Seller is a cheat and treating us like idiots. I'm not buying this!"

I worked in an industry where similar issues occur, everyone complains about extremely high, constantly spiraling costs, but buyers really don't care about that because they are only interested in the value for their $ and they can get that better value elsewhere.

DC ought to be different because anyone using it should be able to make full use of the keys they are buying and there shouldn't be the same reason to resent paying for it.
I agree that is probably how most people think. My point is that you can't keep idiots from being idiots. You can only hope to educate them, and barring that, ignore them and still hope for a successful GB.

You are incorrect about the DC kit. People use Colemak or Dvorak, not both, which is impossible to do, so there are always keys that are unused, same as for any other kit.

Offline elfick

« Reply #376 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 12:16:46 »
Update time

While no DC makes me sad, but if it won't tip, it won't tip. I'm still interested in base and ErgoPlanck.
But it makes me wonder why you're even bothering to offer Norde since that won't tip either.
And why chose to offer a kit that definitely won't tip over a more expensive kit that may or may not tip? The worst you'd get is the same result.

Thanks and still looking forward to Nautilus!

Offline Auk

« Reply #377 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 14:53:28 »
You are incorrect about the DC kit...
fair enough, I thought there were only a few keys that didn't overlap + the selection of scooped and bars for home on each

Offline pomk

« Reply #378 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 15:37:06 »
Update time
Norde will stay as it is. Offering a $60 kit isn't viable for me.[/li][/list]
Oh well, GLWS I guess.

Should the norde kit sell even worse than what is typical for GMK sets, please consider proper support for future designs.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #379 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 17:33:02 »
Very nice to see an update for this  ;D very hyped

Offline bun

« Reply #380 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 23:07:33 »
Update time

Can't wait... day 1 buy for me  ;D

Offline ashwinv11

• give me foog
« Reply #381 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 13:49:00 »
Can't wait... day 1 buy for me  ;D

Same here I can't wait!!!  :D

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #382 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 18:18:12 »
So will this drop after SA Carbon or GMK Laser?

Offline colbs

« Reply #383 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 19:13:00 »
SA carbon is available now.  AFAIK nautilus is next after carbon drop ends
So will this drop after SA Carbon or GMK Laser?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #384 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 19:15:58 »
Right after Carbon.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #385 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 11:29:57 »
So how is it looking for more sizes of space bars?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #386 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 11:34:23 »

R4c: 2U, 6U, 6.25U, 7U
R4: 1.75U, 2.25U, 2.75U

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #387 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 11:38:16 »

Yeah, so have you inquired whether it'd be possible to make some or all of the last three sizes convex?

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #388 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 20:16:48 »
Right after Carbon.

Oh good. That leaves me enough time to see if I still have enough to spare to get in on K-type.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #389 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 05:40:44 »

Yeah, so have you inquired whether it'd be possible to make some or all of the last three sizes convex?

Making new molds is always possible. However, Nautilus won't have more R4C molds other than the 2Us and 1Us.

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #390 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 07:21:26 »
Could we have a comment on the option for a Blue ISO enter ?  Thanks :)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #391 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 08:00:22 »

My main objetive with this project was to offer a base kit right under the $100. I do want a GMK set that balances both compatibility and afforadibility. With that in mind, I want the core kits (such as the Base kit and Ergodox) to be as affordable as possible.
Now regarding ISO: unlike Carbon, the base kit comes with UK ISO. That's something that you guys complained with the very first version of Nautilus, and to keep things balanced I removed the blue ISO enter. However, if the pricepoint at 1000 units allows me to add a blue ISO enter while staying the $95-$105 price point, I'll make sure to include one.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #392 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 09:19:08 »

Making new molds is always possible. However, Nautilus won't have more R4C molds other than the 2Us and 1Us.

Okay then, when will we see the updated ErgoDox and Planck kit?

Offline avid

« Reply #393 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 13:05:48 »

My main objetive with this project was to offer a base kit right under the $100. I do want a GMK set that balances both compatibility and afforadibility. With that in mind, I want the core kits (such as the Base kit and Ergodox) to be as affordable as possible.
Now regarding ISO: unlike Carbon, the base kit comes with UK ISO. That's something that you guys complained with the very first version of Nautilus, and to keep things balanced I removed the blue ISO enter. However, if the pricepoint at 1000 units allows me to add a blue ISO enter while staying the $95-$105 price point, I'll make sure to include one.

Couldnt a blue iso enter be included in the NORDE kit?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #394 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 13:17:35 »

I've been thinking a similar solution for this problem by moving the yellow ISO Enter to the novelties kit and keeping a blue one in the base kit. It might work.

Offline avid

« Reply #395 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 13:51:28 »

I've been thinking a similar solution for this problem by moving the yellow ISO Enter to the novelties kit and keeping a blue one in the base kit. It might work.

Yes the blue iso in base kit and yellow in norde would be perfect. I think most people would prefer blue instead of yellow.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #396 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 13:53:32 »
any possibility of windowed keys? these are getting pretty rare with these large set designs...

Offline Belgaer

« Reply #397 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 15:15:58 »

Please don't do this, yellow really makes this set pop! The yellow is wonderful, really brings out the other colours, I'd be devastated if yellow iso enter wasn't in the base kit.
Leopold FC980M ISO MX Brown

Offline ThatsFineThatOne

« Reply #398 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 16:01:26 »

Please don't do this, yellow really makes this set pop! The yellow is wonderful, really brings out the other colours, I'd be devastated if yellow iso enter wasn't in the base kit.

Agreed

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #399 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 16:02:54 »

Agreed

No, if one of those enters gets moved it will go to the Novelties kit.