Author Topic: Royal Kludge RGB Keyboard--A Sequel to the Noppoo Fullsize Topre Clone  (Read 18802 times)

Offline Sniping

First of all, this review is going to be a continuation of my last one, which you should read if you haven’t done so already. It’s a review of Noppoo’s Topre clone, and I’ll be referencing it in a few places of this review.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68560.0

This Royal Kludge keyboard has a lot of similarities to the keyboard in the link above, mainly because they’re both made by the same OEM (they’re both Noppoo keyboards).

Basic Info:
Manufacturer-Noppoo
Switch-Noppoo Electrostatic Capacitive (Topre clone)
Layout-TKL
Weighting-35g, 45g, 55g. The one I have is the 45g

RGB LED’s!
This is the main selling point of the keyboard, and for good reason. Since Corsair’s announcement of RGB keyboards, there’s been a wave of clones that have been trying to follow suit, with probably the most notable being the Razer Blackwidow Chroma, followed by various companies coming out with multi-colored LED’s (ex. Ducky Shine Mini).

This keyboard has full RGB lighting with translucent switch housings. Very innovative design. I was always under the assumption that an LED topre keyboard wouldn’t be possible, but Noppoo solved this problem with clear switch housings and RGB LED’s that fit with this switch design.

The amount of control that you have over the LED’s is decent. It doesn't have individual color control unlike the Corsair RGB keyboard or Chroma, but you have decent control over the colors.

Translucent Switch Housings
Like I said earlier, I didn’t think it was possible to put LED’s in this type of switch several months ago, but I was proven wrong. I think Topre is getting lazy with keyboard innovation. I hope that designs like this will spur Topre to come up with something cool for a new keyboard, but that’s wishful thinking.

The light diffuses surprisingly well with these translucent switch housings. They aren’t actually translucent; they’re opaque, but they still get the job done will, and diffuse the light evenly throughout the switch.

Keycaps: Semi-sweet
These keycaps are doubleshot. The text is crisp, and while they’re think keycaps, they’re solid and don’t have much give when I squeeze the sides of the keycaps. If you aren’t familiar with this test, some keycaps are more flexy/bendy than others when you squeeze them. Overall, I would say that the quality of these keycaps are great for a stock keycap set.

But I’m sure you see the glaring issue with these keycaps: The font is kinda crappy. I think that it looks better in person than what I’ve seen in pictures, but it’s still gamer-style font. Also, the legends look a bit stretched, which makes it look even more odd. I just wish that companies would stop trying to market keyboards to gamer, and try to stick with something simple like the font that Ducky uses. Nevertheless, I’m still liking the quality of the keycaps themselves because doubleshot. I think of stock keycap sets like the kit lens on a DSLR camera--there’s no way you can expect the kit lens to be great, so you just try to work with what you have. I think that the fact that these keycaps are doubleshot goes beyond the call of duty (heh) for standard keycaps. But I know, the font.

(Doubleshot keycaps, but thin OEM profile)

Similarities to the Noppoo Keyboard
The shape of the case, as well as the profile of the keycaps, are the same as with the Noppoo keyboard that I previously reviewed. The PCB has the same red color, and the domes look the same too. These similarities makes the keyboard feel like the same as the white Noppoo fullsize keyboard. This is obvious because both keyboards are coming from the same OEM. The differences I see are in the color scheme (all black) and in the font of the RGB keyboard.

Feel of the Switches
I think I enjoy the 45g switches less than the 35g switches that I tried on the other keyboard. Here’s my theory about these switches: I think that they create the different switch weightings by changing the weight of the conical spring. In other words, they use the same domes for every weighting and use heavier springs instead. I’m not sure if this is actually true, but this is based on my experience. Because the 45g doesn’t feel as tactile as I’d like it to be, I prefer the 35g version instead. I also think that this is part of the reason for the discrepancy between the feel of the Topre switch and this switch, but I still think that Noppoo did a good job with their version of the Topre switch.

These switches aren’t as tactile as Topre, but at the same time, they aren’t as harsh either. It’s feasible to type without bottoming out on this keyboard, whereas with Topre keyboards this is pretty much impossible on the 45g and 55g models. One complaint that I hear about Topre switches is that the bottoming out causes tired fingers, so these switches might be better for those people. I enjoy more tactile switches, so 55g Topre is still my favorite switch. It really just comes down to what you like.

Pricing
These keyboards actually aren’t much more expensive than the original Noppoo Topre clone that I reviewed, which is nice. Most companies are charging premiums for their RGB keyboards, but this is actually affordable considering the price of the non-LED Noppoo keyboard and the genuine Topre keyboards.

You might be thinking: “Well the Novatouch isn’t much more expensive than this keyboard, should I just go with the Novatouch instead since it uses real Topre switches?”
There are definitely reasons to get the Novatouch, and the main one is that it obviously uses real Topre switches, while this one doesn’t. However, the main concern that I have with someone buying a Novatouch is whether you can actually afford a Novatouch. Let’s face it: the Novatouch doesn’t have the greatest keycaps in the world. In my eyes, there’s a semi-obligatory additional cost associated with the Novatouch in keycap replacement. The cheap option for keycaps would be a set of Tai Hao doubleshots, but that adds another $20 to the cost of your Novatouch. By then, you’re not too far away from the cost of a used Realforce/FC660C. Also, the Novatouch doesn’t sound like “normal” topre keyboards :(

In short, this keyboard keeps costs low for the buyer by including keycaps that are doubleshot and decent stock.

My advice is that if you can afford the more expensive keyboard, go with the more expensive one. Get the most expensive keyboard that you’re comfortable buying. If you’re on a tight budget (relatively speaking…) and you like the LED’s on this keyboard, this will be a good option.

A Word About Software and Drivers
Maybe this is just me, but I have a kind of irrational fear in not wanting to deal with software. While I think that some level of software is necessary for full control of RGB LED’s, I usually don’t bother to use it.

Using the Fn key+various number/F-keys allows you to adjust the LEDs in a bunch of configurations without having to touch the software. From the keyboard alone, you have control over the color of the alphas and mods, the arrow keys, WASD, and F-row. You also have control over the brightness settings and the breathing mode of the LEDs, which is standard on most LED keyboards. When I get bored of my current LED configuration, I just change up the colors of the LEDs from the keyboard.

I did play with the software for a bit for the sake of this review, and I like the amount of control that you’re given through this software. For each key, you can program 2 layers of keys or combos, as well as program macros and media keys. I think that the only downside of the keyboard is that you can’t control the RGB lights on individual switches. There are 4 regions of the keyboard where you can select custom colors, but all of the colors within this region is uniform (i.e. arrow keys). Overall, it’s nice to see software that isn’t gimmicky.

Conclusion
After writing a review on the other Noppoo Topre clone, I found a lot of commonground between these two keyboards that were both made by the same manufacturer. That being said, I like TKL layout as well as RGB. If you don’t like the font, the non-backlit model is $20 cheaper on Massdrop, and uses the same type of POM keycaps on the white Noppoo Topre keybaord, which has decent font.

If that suits you too, then I would recommend this keyboard. And like I said before, if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative to Topre, then this keyboard is a nice option. You can opt for the non-LED version to save money if you don’t like LEDs, which leaves you with a simple TKL keyboard that comes in various weightings. After trying two of these Noppoo clones, I believe that the switches aren’t fully representative of what Topre feels like, but still comes very close because of the similarities in the design of the switch, as well as the inherent similarities in the force curve of cup rubber. The pricing is competitive with other RGB keyboards, and would be a good choice if you’re looking for a mechanical RGB keyboard that isn’t as loud as a Cherry keyboard (or Kailh for that matter)

« Last Edit: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:23:54 by Sniping »

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
Re: Royal Kludge RGB Keyboard--A Sequel to the Noppoo Fullsize Topre Clone
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:33:43 »
the light diffusion isn't as good as i'd hoped.  for example, the actual number part of the number keys is still close to unilluminated with the vortex doubleshot keycaps.  you do get a big improvement in diffusion to the left and right sides of the keycap though -- "control" looks far less silly than it does on a cherry keyboard.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 23:04:41 »
the light diffusion isn't as good as i'd hoped.  for example, the actual number part of the number keys is still close to unilluminated with the vortex doubleshot keycaps.  you do get a big improvement in diffusion to the left and right sides of the keycap though -- "control" looks far less silly than it does on a cherry keyboard.

Yeah, that's a great point. The Vortex doubleshot PBT keycaps are one of the only backlit aftermarket keycap sets that people buy, but it presents an interesting issue. I think that the diffusion isn't the issue, but just the lack of concentration of the light. The LED setup is really focused on even light distribution versus regular LED's where the light is concentrated at where the LED is, which would be better suited for the thicker Vortex keycaps.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 13:04:33 »
these switches are definitely designed to take two LEDs, one at the top and one at the bottom.  putting an RGB LED in both top and bottom would probably get you perfect lighting for the vortex set.

and actually, that brings up one related thing to mention.  they're currently using that bottom LED slot for a big honking white indicator LED on caps lock, scroll lock, and escape.  because of the design of the keyboard, that leads to a LOT of light leaking out of the bottom of those keycaps.  i really don't like how that looks.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 13:15:16 »
Nice review!

I didn't know Noppoo was the manufacturer for this, that is quite interesting. I don't know how they come up with the names for things, but "Royal Kludge" is even worse than "Noppoo" for a brand name. I have the Noppoo EC108, and I agree that there is not a lot of tactility there. I'd be interested in trying out the 55g for the Kludge, to see if it provides a more tactile experience.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 18:52:46 »
I'm wondering if Royal Kludge is like some sort of bad translation.  Kludge actually seems like a fun word.  Here is an explanation of the word:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kludge

Based on the look of the keyboard, it does look a little kludgy. 
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 19:36:54 »
considering mine has one defective LED, i find the name appropriate!  going to take pics and send them to jd.com tonight for a refund...

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 19:58:11 »
I'm wondering if Royal Kludge is like some sort of bad translation.  Kludge actually seems like a fun word.  Here is an explanation of the word:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kludge

Haha that's hilarious I guess they had to find a name that was truly appropriate for this monstrosity.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 10:12:05 »

Haha that's hilarious I guess they had to find a name that was truly appropriate for this monstrosity.

Monstrosity.  Another good description.  The keyboard is quite unappealing upon first glance.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 12:42:15 »
lots of Chinese makers have that problem. They're good with engineering and can make reasonably good quality for very cheap. But they suck at HR and marketing. EG the design is so unappealing and the names are extremely stupid.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 22:30:48 »
My curiosity got the better of me, so I ordered one of the 55g RGB models. I got it from JD.com, which will be cheaper and almost certainly arrive quicker, than Massdrop.

The legends are certainly unappealing on the stock caps so I'm going to try replacing them with the ones from my CODE.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 08:17:54 »
lots of Chinese makers have that problem. They're good with engineering and can make reasonably good quality for very cheap. But they suck at HR and marketing. EG the design is so unappealing and the names are extremely stupid.

Time for another Cultural Revolution to bring back people skills and the humanities.  But then people could start asking too many questions, and the Communist Party doesn't want that.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 12:24:53 »

Time for another Cultural Revolution to bring back people skills and the humanities.  But then people could start asking too many questions, and the Communist Party doesn't want that.

Actually the current Xi Jinping government is already a big improvement because they have so many non-technocrats.

While Xi isn't going to turn into a democrat, at least his regime is a lot more focused on improving the lot of the peasants and gaining real legitimacy. The previous technocratic Hu Jintao government was only concerned with meeting quotas and targets regardless of how it made quality of life suffer.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 12:45:03 »

Actually the current Xi Jinping government is already a big improvement because they have so many non-technocrats.

While Xi isn't going to turn into a democrat, at least his regime is a lot more focused on improving the lot of the peasants and gaining real legitimacy. The previous technocratic Hu Jintao government was only concerned with meeting quotas and targets regardless of how it made quality of life suffer.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. -- John F. Kennedy

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 13:08:15 »

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. -- John F. Kennedy

Apart from Carter I think after Kennedy there hasn't been a US president who espoused these ideals.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 13:19:57 »
Sorry, I was poking fun at the general idea of sacrificing yourself for your country.  I think it's dumb.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 19:07:09 »
My curiosity got the better of me, so I ordered one of the 55g RGB models. I got it from JD.com, which will be cheaper and almost certainly arrive quicker, than Massdrop.

The legends are certainly unappealing on the stock caps so I'm going to try replacing them with the ones from my CODE.

hope you have better luck with JD than i did.  i got one with one defective LED (the "i" key) and now they're giving me the runaround on their buyer protection policy.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 14:45:51 »
hope you have better luck with JD than i did.  i got one with one defective LED (the "i" key) and now they're giving me the runaround on their buyer protection policy.

Then I guess it's probably a good thing that my order got cancelled due to lack of stock. I actually have one on the way courtesy of a fellow GH member. Should be here on Friday.

Good luck getting your issues taken care of. Hopefully you paid with PayPal or a credit card and can do a chargeback if they continue to give you grief.

Offline berserkfan

Regarding what OP said about Topre: the Japanese aren’t lazy; they’re ageing.

Because Japan is ageing and Topre is mainly focused on its domestic market, they don’t want to take risks and innovate. Simple as that. Japanese banks aren’t going to pay more for RGB keyboards.

In a few years Novatouch and Noppoo and now this Drudge Mud will steal their lunch and dinner.

In the meantime I am wondering how that RGB thing works. I though you need 4 leads for RGB, but the board seems to have only 1. Not enough keyboard porn aka keyboards taken apart for us to oogle the naked PCB.

Offline SolarFall

Interested to know what you think of the 55G if it's stiffer or lighter feeling than something comparable in specs..
I actually don't mind the caps. I know everyone hates them. But it's big and legible font,, and still looks better than a lot of half lit cherry shat. That being said i thought about the Code caps as well, they would look sweet on it. It's the best design for single led having the legends side by side like that.

Anyway i embrace DA Kludges ugliness! Reminds me of the Creature from the Black Lagoon ...i don't know why.. I would normally go for no leds black and white caps, Filco boring, Filco is perfect to me though. So black, lol. It's Metal, like Motorhead. But i'm going to get everything Da Kludge! has to offer. I applaud them for being the guys to get it all right a long with the Napoo. Fully programmable Topre, leds, silencers, nkey, on board memory, even while their font is frowned on they still double shotted them and arranged the legends the right way. Bravo. Topre legends are funky too, .. and It's their staple.

Imo the Kludge and the Napoo have one upped Realforce and sharted in Coolermasters general direction. Just shat on them. And I think the general difference in feel between all of the Topre boards - clones included will be more about how all of them are put together more than anything and the stabs. The plate, the mounting. The switches are Rubber and a spring. Sure different rubber could feel a little different, but not enough to matter to most. Any good membrane board can feel as good. Look at my avatar. My C is almost worn through. 10 year old 12 dollar rubber dome still feels fantastic, like new. It hasn't "worn out". I just measured it along with the Type Heaven. After 10 Years of hard pummeling and gaming the resistance is withing spec of manufacture 10 years later  In fact it's still +5G average higher than spec.. And it feels crisp and just like it's supposed to. 12 dollars - 10 years. Never has failed me. Best money spent. And my space bar thanks to the costar style stabs it has is still snappy,  and much better than Type Heavens space bar. Space bar is important to me as it's forward in all my games. It need to be precise and snappy. Another reason i want the Kludge, the stabs.
Pretty stoked to get one really. Imo it's looking like the best keyboard on the market available period at any price a long with the Napoo.
I just need to figure if 45G on Da Kludge! is 45G or should i go for 55G, as what i'm using and like now is around 60-65G. Especially the weight of the space bar on them.
I of course am talking from my ass until i have one in my hands, but if it's built even average, i am fully confident that it feels enough like the "real thing" that spending a **** ton less money will be all the comfort i need.. and Realforce are ugly as **** too anyway. Da Kludge! has more style at being ugly even! It's Mo Ugly biatch! Da Kluuuudge!

Oh Yeah,  and to add to all the weird subversive naming they got going on... "Royal Kludge" heh, basically Royal Piece O Sheit, lol. This is a logo on their site. I Love it.

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
^ Kind of confused on your post but whatever.
-The royal kludge is back on massdrop 55g and 45g versions, fullsize and tenkeyless
-The quality of keyboards is different depending on where its made(i prefer japan and germany due to long-lastingness on products such as surgical tools)(subjective opinion)
-Some people pay more for a different feel such as a normal topre vs the clones (kind of like college, how people pay for differing education quality, though its mostly the same stuff)
-It was either here or another thread that it was said the 55g is mushier due to them probably using the same rubber dome for both the 45g and the 55g(realforce and whatnot use different domes) and just changing the spring. I believe the coolmaster is 45g so you can semi-base your opinion off of that. I think the 45g is the favorite of the two right now(not sure) for most people.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2015, 03:13:50 by minh278 »
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline SolarFall

Aww, Rk's site is down, that banner in my other post isn't showing shame, it was hilarious. RKgaming "Abourt Us". lol

Yeah i am kinda off on a tangent i know. Not for no reason though. I been almost going insane trying to find a new keyboard for the last month now. I been using the same 12 dollar rubber membrane BTC in my avatar for 10 years. And it's never failed me. But i mean now it's just hammered, it's time, even though it still works flawless it's time for a new board damnit!
And i've went through this a few times in the last few years. I been looking for years honestly. Problem always was there is nothing better than what i got that i could find for the price. Until now.

A month ago i knew nothing about Topre or keyboards really at all. It's a keyboard, they cost 12 dollars right? I've spent 20 dollars on keyboards in the last 20 years!And they've served me well. That's where i'm coming from. Now am a theasarus on the topic of which i never cared about. I can now take apart any filco, code, leopold and remove all switches, re sticker, relube, re spring, remount, and replace, dampen, tramp mod, I've even thought of things about modifying switches that i in turn ended up reading here after that other people were already doing it (tramp mod - i was looking for rubber balls before i ever saw a post on it). And i've still never taken a keyboard apart in my life! When i get into something i tend to learn everything about it. I'm just like that, and It usually comes about with being annoyed at the lack of something i need and can't figure out why manufacturers don't make it damnit!, lol.

So this is just steam being released, yeah sorry i'm chatty.. I like it when someone does something right. Sometimes it takes a decade, and i wait. After i get the board i need, i'll not think of keyboards for another decade, ..i hope lol.

I had settled on a Type Heaven because it was bare bones Topre, it's a beautiful keyboard, and i figured i could program it myself with other programs. I couldn't deal with Cherry boards that did have the features i wanted to an extent.. But it looks like Da Kluudge! is it. Fully programmable Topre - IE: rubber dome - the best "switch" if it costs 12 dollars or 200, but better if it it costs 12  :p.

I understand the paying for quality part. But the fact is Topre is just rubber dome at a exacerbated price do to being nitch #1, and made in Japan. It's cool. Made in Japan is something i been a fan of for decades. I been buying **** from Japan through proxies and forum bros before it was a thing.. I have had in total over 12k in custom vintage guitars from Japan, my 25 yer old Honda Prelude runs flawless it's entire life, my Sony CRT hundred pound  behemoth  irca 2000 in front of me in it's godlike glory. I love Made in Japan. I understand it. I have those cork sniffer tastes as well. Not so much for keyboards, lol. All i want is as much control to make things the way i want them, because usually other peoples ideas of what are good for me suck. Just like a lot of you guys feel i'm sure, lol.
Keyboard tweakers, who would have thought.

But unless there's some super high costs in Topre manufacturing their super flubber rubber vs other just plain rubber I don't know about, if that's true, well my bad. It doesn't feel much different than cheap rubber to me..which it all feels great if done right. Rubber, springs, and a pc board. like what, 12 dollars in materials, lol.

I feel backed up by that, at least personally in that there is not much difference between the two as i spent yesterday comparing and weighing and playing Quake 3 on three different "rubber keyboards", one Topre two cheap good feeling crisp rubber membranes. There's not much difference (to me), in some cases the rubber membrane felt better. The space bar on this old thing has costar style stabs. The feel of it it rules over the Type Heaven to me. Another Major reason i love Da Kludge! Costar stabs!  :thumb:  A must have. It's perfect honestly, if it ran on ps/2 i'd start jerkin it. That's the only thing about Topre basically. USB for keyboard  :'( I was going to just get a Filco and mod it with clears and all that shat, but screw it. No one cares about the vastly more logical ps/2 connection anymore. That battle is lost. Sub par for laziness wins yet again. Because having to reboot on your .002 millisecond booting SSD drive is too much of an inconvenience.

I glossed over Cherry MX, tried some just too se what the hype was, but already knew Topre was gonna be it for me once i read about it and i caved in the USB thing.
Now finally the right board looks to have arrived, both Da Kludge! and the Nopoo. I haven't decided honestly. I kind of like the napoo because of the 4 media buttons upper right  - that initially was my only concern when looking for a keyboard, lol! That and ps/2 is ALL i cared about, well with the right style and dimensions of course. Easy right? Nope. Far from.

Anyway these have everything a cork sniffer could want. Everything i want. Full control and extras i don't care about stay out of the way if i want. No Fn layers if i don't want? Sweet. Coolermaster choked,  they could have put out Da Kludge!

Baring some bad QC popping up over time, these are the top dog on the market imo in their class, the feature set and being Topre ( rubber dome) clones or whatever. They shat on Novatouches couch and ground it in

« Last Edit: Sat, 23 May 2015, 01:30:10 by SolarFall »

Offline SolarFall

Rk site is back up. All of their offerings are pretty damn solid. The 928 is a really nice MX, the case, i really love it. Wish i could transplant the 930 into it  :p

Offline vivalarevolución

Aww, Rk's site is down, that banner in my other post isn't showing shame, it was hilarious. RKgaming "Abourt Us". lol

Yeah i am kinda off on a tangent i know. Not for no reason though. I been almost going insane trying to find a new keyboard for the last month now. I been using the same 12 dollar rubber membrane BTC in my avatar for 10 years. And it's never failed me. But i mean now it's just hammered, it's time, even though it still works flawless it's time for a new board damnit!
And i've went through this a few times in the last few years. I been looking for years honestly. Problem always was there is nothing better than what i got that i could find for the price. Until now.

A month ago i knew nothing about Topre or keyboards really at all. It's a keyboard, they cost 12 dollars right? I've spent 20 dollars on keyboards in the last 20 years!And they've served me well. That's where i'm coming from. Now am a theasarus on the topic of which i never cared about. I can now take apart any filco, code, leopold and remove all switches, re sticker, relube, re spring, remount, and replace, dampen, tramp mod, I've even thought of things about modifying switches that i in turn ended up reading here after that other people were already doing it (tramp mod - i was looking for rubber balls before i ever saw a post on it). And i've still never taken a keyboard apart in my life! When i get into something i tend to learn everything about it. I'm just like that, and It usually comes about with being annoyed at the lack of something i need and can't figure out why manufacturers don't make it damnit!, lol.

So this is just steam being released, yeah sorry i'm chatty.. I like it when someone does something right. Sometimes it takes a decade, and i wait. After i get the board i need, i'll not think of keyboards for another decade, ..i hope lol.

I had settled on a Type Heaven because it was bare bones Topre, it's a beautiful keyboard, and i figured i could program it myself with other programs. I couldn't deal with Cherry boards that did have the features i wanted to an extent.. But it looks like Da Kluudge! is it. Fully programmable Topre - IE: rubber dome - the best "switch" if it costs 12 dollars or 200, but better if it it costs 12  :p.

I understand the paying for quality part. But the fact is Topre is just rubber dome at a exacerbated price do to being nitch #1, and made in Japan. It's cool. Made in Japan is something i been a fan of for decades. I been buying **** from Japan through proxies and forum bros before it was a thing.. I have had in total over 12k in custom vintage guitars from Japan, my 25 yer old Honda Prelude runs flawless it's entire life, my Sony CRT hundred pound  behemoth  irca 2000 in front of me in it's godlike glory. I love Made in Japan. I understand it. I have those cork sniffer tastes as well. Not so much for keyboards, lol. All i want is as much control to make things the way i want them, because usually other peoples ideas of what are good for me suck. Just like a lot of you guys feel i'm sure, lol.
Keyboard tweakers, who would have thought.

But unless there's some super high costs in Topre manufacturing their super flubber rubber vs other just plain rubber I don't know about, if that's true, well my bad. It doesn't feel much different than cheap rubber to me..which it all feels great if done right. Rubber, springs, and a pc board. like what, 12 dollars in materials, lol.

I feel backed up by that, at least personally in that there is not much difference between the two as i spent yesterday comparing and weighing and playing Quake 3 on three different "rubber keyboards", one Topre two cheap good feeling crisp rubber membranes. There's not much difference (to me), in some cases the rubber membrane felt better. The space bar on this old thing has costar style stabs. The feel of it it rules over the Type Heaven to me. Another Major reason i love Da Kludge! Costar stabs!  :thumb:  A must have. It's perfect honestly, if it ran on ps/2 i'd start jerkin it. That's the only thing about Topre basically. USB for keyboard  :'( I was going to just get a Filco and mod it with clears and all that shat, but screw it. No one cares about the vastly more logical ps/2 connection anymore. That battle is lost. Sub par for laziness wins yet again. Because having to reboot on your .002 millisecond booting SSD drive is too much of an inconvenience.

I glossed over Cherry MX, tried some just too se what the hype was, but already knew Topre was gonna be it for me once i read about it and i caved in the USB thing.
Now finally the right board looks to have arrived, both Da Kludge! and the Nopoo. I haven't decided honestly. I kind of like the napoo because of the 4 media buttons upper right  - that initially was my only concern when looking for a keyboard, lol! That and ps/2 is ALL i cared about, well with the right style and dimensions of course. Easy right? Nope. Far from.

Anyway these have everything a cork sniffer could want. Everything i want. Full control and extras i don't care about stay out of the way if i want. No Fn layers if i don't want? Sweet. Coolermaster choked,  they could have put out Da Kludge!

Baring some bad QC popping up over time, these are the top dog on the market imo in their class, the feature set and being Topre ( rubber dome) clones or whatever. They shat on Novatouches couch and ground it in
Show Image

tl;dr

Summary, please.

Offline SolarFall

No.
But don't worry about it if your not a reader, it's just my rambling thoughts on this stuff. And since this is a keyboard forum for people who like to talk incessantly about keyboards. That's my contribution. There will not be very many of them, but they will be long in nature.

Offline lasttycoon

• Ergonomic Wizard
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 19:09:59 »
I have one too. I put Vortex Double Shot PBT key caps on it to improve the feel and sound. I have also removed the dental bands that are factory installed on it. Here are some pictures!

Kinesis Advantage | Ergodox EZ Browns | RK RC930 | DS 3 Blues

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 22:04:54 »
Im hot to trot for one of these Royal Kludge RGB EC930 keyboards!

Where can I order one?

Maybe in 55g weighting?
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2015, 22:08:15 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline lasttycoon

• Ergonomic Wizard
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 12:38:26 »
Im hot to trot for one of these Royal Kludge RGB EC930 keyboards!

Where can I order one?

Maybe in 55g weighting?
I have the 55g one and its really quiet nice to type on. If you havent seen it already here is the Keychatter review, https://www.keychatter.com/2015/03/12/review-royal-kludge-rc930-87-rgb/ You can buy them at JD http://overseas.jd.com/product/rk-royal-kludge-rc930-87-rgb%E9%9D%99%E7%94%B5%E5%AE%B9%E5%85%A8%E9%94%AE%E6%97%A0%E5%86%B2%E9%94%AE%E7%9B%9845g%E7%89%88/1325251.html. They pop up on massdrop every once and a while too. I bought mine used on /r/mechmarket but you should ask around in the classifieds here too.
Kinesis Advantage | Ergodox EZ Browns | RK RC930 | DS 3 Blues

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 17:52:39 »
How do I buy on JD.com?  Do they take Paypal?

Offline dante

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 17:54:47 »
Contact imsto.  He can get you one.  He's in the process of shipping me a couple RC930's.