Author Topic: unicomp ultra classic or the new model m  (Read 2256 times)

Offline devo343

unicomp ultra classic or the new model m
« on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 08:00:00 »
New here just wanting to get some opinions. Soon im gonna buy a new keyboard Right now on a crappy 5$ HP one
and i was either gonna get the ultra classic or the new model m. i like the the oldschool beige color on the ultra classic. But whats the better one ive heard the ultra classic is not built all that well. But what do you guys think

Offline Maledicted

Re: unicomp ultra classic or the new model m
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 08:47:41 »
New here just wanting to get some opinions. Soon im gonna buy a new keyboard Right now on a crappy 5$ HP one
and i was either gonna get the ultra classic or the new model m. i like the the oldschool beige color on the ultra classic. But whats the better one ive heard the ultra classic is not built all that well. But what do you guys think

I don't own either, but the idea is that the new Model M is being made on freshly-made tooling, and has returned to near-IBM standards of thickness and quality of the case.

A Model M connoisseur and frequent Unicomp keyboard purchaser like Funkmon would probably have more to say about it.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:23:35 »
I've never tried the ultra classic. I don't think the build quality is really that different between them. You kind of can't go wrong with these things. They are excellent keyboards. When people talk about the lesser build quality, it's only really in reference to older, original model Ms. It's not that the Unicomps are bad, it's just that the original model Ms are even better. When choosing between the classic or the ultra classic, it's more down to personal preference, aesthetics and space on your desk.

Offline devo343

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:29:09 »
allright thanks for help. anyone know how long it takes to get them out on the website it says 10-15 days but how accurate is that?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:41:43 »
I have never bought an actual keyboard from them, but I have bought parts on several occasions and they were always very fast and responsive.

If you are in the continental US I would predict that you will get it in a week or less, but that is not a guarantee.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline funkmon

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:53:06 »
I get em in 2 days flat. You'll get it by the end of the week probably if you order today.

Go with the New Model M every time over the ultra classic. Every time. The only reason you would want an ultra classic is if there's something specific about it you just love. I have one because I'm a collector and that's it. New Model M is way better.

But if we're honest here, they're both Models M, and if you go with an ultra classic, that's kinda neat since the history of the case is cool and they'll be discontinued soon.

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 10:17:07 »
But if we're honest here, they're both Models M, and if you go with an ultra classic, that's kinda neat since the history of the case is cool and they'll be discontinued soon.
they may get discontinued, but i do not think they will become rare any time soon, given how many were produced in the last 40 years, they may become expensive because mechanical but i do not expect the classic model M to become actually hard to find any time soon.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline devo343

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 10:26:03 »
Allright i think ill get the New model M since people are saying its overall better and it looks like its heavier and beefier.

Offline devo343

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 10:33:22 »
Also was looking at the PC 122  one which i like aswell i really like how large it is. Would that one be even better then the new Model M.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 11:01:53 »
Again, build quality and feel is about the same across the board. If you are going for best, get one of the old industrial square badge models from the mid 80s or even a regular old oval badge.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 21:36:42 »
Also was looking at the PC 122  one which i like aswell i really like how large it is. Would that one be even better then the new Model M.

The New Model M is built slightly better than the Unicomp PC122s, but they're both totally fine. If you're getting a 122 key and you don't mind buying one without a warranty, you can pick some up on eBay for cheap fairly often.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 22:34:01 »
When are they going to make New Split Model M w/ 70 Degrees of tenting capacity?

Offline yui

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 03:23:39 »
When are they going to make New Split Model M w/ 70 Degrees of tenting capacity?
well buy yourself 2 Ms, cut them in half, fold the membranes, 3d print new feet, and tada a split M with any angle you like. model M modding and membrane folding is a rather popular art.
I am still looking at removing the number pad off a PC122 to make an M unsaver :) only issue being the PC122 controller being right across the fold, and that i have 90 euros of Fedex shipping to get a new membrane from Unicomp, and Fedex does not ship to my city, so i have to go and fetch it at their warehouse 50km away... so making that project rather expensive...

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 17:25:09 »
well buy yourself 2 Ms, cut them in half, fold the membranes, 3d print new feet, and tada a split M with any angle you like. model M modding and membrane folding is a rather popular art.
I am still looking at removing the number pad off a PC122 to make an M unsaver :) only issue being the PC122 controller being right across the fold, and that i have 90 euros of Fedex shipping to get a new membrane from Unicomp, and Fedex does not ship to my city, so i have to go and fetch it at their warehouse 50km away... so making that project rather expensive...

I must see some of this black magic

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 17:36:38 »

Probably need a cnc laser to do this, because there's no tooling small enough to get at the board if you have to preserve so much material

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 23:18:34 »

I have a hard time believing this, but I suppose it is possible? Even so, wouldn't it be better just to get an M15?

Offline yui

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 01:18:10 »

Probably need a cnc laser to do this, because there's no tooling small enough to get at the board if you have to preserve so much material

it was the point of getting 2, as you will need 2 membrane sandwiches and 2 controllers, so you do not need to care about the 2nd half of the cases
i do not have the money to make it happen though :)
I have a hard time believing this, but I suppose it is possible? Even so, wouldn't it be better just to get an M15?
well 1 unicomp M is 90$ one M15 is 1150$ so you would need to value your time at a pretty high price if you can't accept the price argument. and also there is the having fun with it argument :)

Offline devo343

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 07:29:52 »
I went ahead and ordered a PC122. Will let you guys know how i like it