Author Topic: Fill me in here, difference between Cherry MX's.  (Read 9487 times)

Offline trax

Fill me in here, difference between Cherry MX's.
« on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 04:07:02 »
Blue - super light, typing.
Brown - Somewhat heavier, typing/gaming.
Red - SAME AS BROWN?
Clear - Same as black but easier to press (less force).
Black - Hard to press, not fun for typing.

Is my order correct?
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline pitashen

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 04:13:06 »
You got them pretty much all wrong.

Time to read up some wiki buddy.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline trax

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 04:17:24 »
Quote from: pitashen;451047
You got them pretty much all wrong.

Time to read up some wiki buddy.

I did :(
Switches tried so far
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

fossala

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 04:19:00 »
Blue - Clicky and light
Brown - tactile and light
Clear (white) - tactile and heavy
Red - linier and light
Black linier and heavy

But as pitashen check the wiki it is all in there.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=START+HERE+--+The+Geekhack+Mechanical+Keyboard+Guide+-+Includes+Glossary+and+Links

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 04:19:15 »
There isnt an order. Read some wiki's mostly everything you need should be found here http://tinyurl.com/7nkg7nw .

Offline Tony

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 04:28:56 »
Read the wiki for two days, read the forum for five days. Your questions are likely to be answered already.

If not, then put your questions here.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline slueth

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 04:35:11 »
Quote from: trax;451044
Blue - super light, typing.
Brown - Somewhat heavier, typing/gaming.
Red - SAME AS BROWN?
White - Same as black but easier to press (less force).
Black - Hard to press, not fun for typing.

Is my order correct?

Saying blacks are not fun for typing is subjective.  Different people prefer different switches for different uses.  Also, I think you mean clear when you say white.  Personally I find blues perfect for gaming.

Offline trax

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 05:08:34 »
Quote from: Tony;451055
Read the wiki for two days, read the forum for five days. Your questions are likely to be answered already.

If not, then put your questions here.

This is my 3rd day reading on keyboards and I'm truly amazed on how many different switches etc there are.
The main problem for me is that I'm not that good at English (I'm from Belgium, speaking Dutch) and I have a hard time understanding the wiki's.

I have no clue what tactile / linear means.
On youtube I only found sound comparison since I guess its hard to explain on how they feel?

Thanks for the reply's all.
Switches tried so far
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 05:16:58 »
try them all by yourself and follow the 3rd link in my signature.

Offline N8N

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 05:19:49 »
Tactile - browns, clears, blues, etc. - have a slight "bump" in the force required to keep pressing the switch down at or near the actuation point.  Imagine it as the straight line equivalent of a panel mount toggle switch, where you get that nice crisp "snap" and change in feel when the contacts actually make.  That's kind of what a blue feels like, but obviously being a keyboard switch not as much force is required.  A blue or brown feels quite light to someone making the switch from rubber domes usually.  A brown has the same kind of feel, but not as crisp, as a blue. and is quiet save for if you bottom out the key.  (the marketing of browns as "silent" is not completely accurate however - you still get a little noise from a browns board, a lot of that being from when the keys return to the top of their travel.  That said, for someone with a light touch a board with browns or clears is still probably quiet enough to not be offensive in an open office environment.)

Linear - blacks, reds - do not have that "bump" at all.  The force on the keycap increases linearly with the distance that you have pressed it down, and there is no sound or change in feel to let you know that you have actuated the switch.  However, they do feel smoother than most of the tactile switches out of the box.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline trax

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 05:33:47 »
Quote from: N8N;451067
Tactile - browns, clears, blues, etc. - have a slight "bump" in the force required to keep pressing the switch down at or near the actuation point.  Imagine it as the straight line equivalent of a panel mount toggle switch, where you get that nice crisp "snap" and change in feel when the contacts actually make.  That's kind of what a blue feels like, but obviously being a keyboard switch not as much force is required.  A blue or brown feels quite light to someone making the switch from rubber domes usually.  A brown has the same kind of feel, but not as crisp, as a blue. and is quiet save for if you bottom out the key.  (the marketing of browns as "silent" is not completely accurate however - you still get a little noise from a browns board, a lot of that being from when the keys return to the top of their travel.  That said, for someone with a light touch a board with browns or clears is still probably quiet enough to not be offensive in an open office environment.)

Linear - blacks, reds - do not have that "bump" at all.  The force on the keycap increases linearly with the distance that you have pressed it down, and there is no sound or change in feel to let you know that you have actuated the switch.  However, they do feel smoother than most of the tactile switches out of the box.
I understand the Tactile ones now, they give some sort of feedback whether the key is pressed in feel & sound.

But then whats good about blacks/reds over normal keyboard?
Switches tried so far
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 10:12:25 »
Sorted from light (easy to press) to heavy (hard to press):

Red - super light, linear
Brown - very light, tactile
Blue - light, tactile + click
Black - heavy, linear
Clear - heavy, tactile

Hope that helps. Maybe this will help too:
Linear = like a piano key
Tactile = like a regular rubber dome
Click = like a retractable pen
keyboards!

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 11:51:06 »
I would like to add that the Cherry MX Blues are heavier than Browns (Even though they use the same spring). My MX Blues actuate at 65 g