Author Topic: Frankenswitch Creampacas failed?  (Read 6216 times)

Offline instaq

Frankenswitch Creampacas failed?
« on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 05:53:05 »
Hi members,

Pretty new to the keyboard community and making.

Saw so many videos and came across someone's video about the Creampaca.
So I've ordered two batches of switches and went ahead and tried to make the Creampacas bug noticed that when I do so the stem feels stuck in the housing and not working as it should.
Tried several ways of redoing the switch but without success. Is there any reason for the Creampaca to not work?

Because it feels like the stem from the NovelKeys Cream is thicker then the alpaca stem originally is.

Would love to get some advice on this!

Offline Will_I_am344

Re: Frankenswitch Creampacas failed?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 09:38:33 »
Hi mate. I am going to try and help you with this.

Could you tell me specifically which switches you bought and which parts you took from each to create the frankenswitch.

Also tell me if you have lubed anything, how much and with what.

Cheers

EDIT: I can tell you now already, if your problem is the top housing being to tight, and you are using Alpaca v2, this top housing will not fit the stem, so you can use for example the top housing from this switch instead: Durock Silent Linear. Given that the stem is a NK Cream Stem
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 April 2021, 09:44:22 by Will_I_am344 »

Offline instaq

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 09:54:41 »
Alpaca v2 and nk creams. Used the stem of the nk cream in the alpaca housing like you mentioned. I've saw of someone who did the same and his keyboard sounded amazing or he did not include he was different top housings.

Or is it something to be modded?

Offline Will_I_am344

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 10:15:34 »
I am pretty sure the top housing of Alpaca v2 doesn't fit the cream stem. Are you sure he was using v2?

As I said you can use Durock Silent Linear's top housing instead. Maybe cherry top will work fine too, but different sound.

Offline instaq

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 11:55:02 »
I am pretty sure the top housing of Alpaca v2 doesn't fit the cream stem. Are you sure he was using v2?

As I said you can use Durock Silent Linear's top housing instead. Maybe cherry top will work fine too, but different sound.

t=3s this is the video

Offline Will_I_am344

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 13:07:35 »
Yeah it doesn't say v2 in description so it probably isn't. Do you have v2 alpacas?

Offline instaq

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 17:08:06 »
I ordered mine ay mykeyboard.eu where it says it can either be v1 or v2 and they stated there is no actual V2 as its just different batches etc etc

this is a copy from their site:
Disclaimer:

There is no actual V2 design of these switches. Durock and JWK have produced multiple new molds in 2020 to increase production capacity.  Large orders (500K+) such as this Alpaca order had Durock use multiple molds split over a multi vendor order.
Because of this, minor changes are noticable over various switches even within a single bag of switches purchased from us.  We are not mixing old and new stock so please keep in mind you can notice minor differences when ordering these switches.  Durock and JWK believe there is no notice in performance different.

Offline Will_I_am344

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 01:41:27 »
I ordered mine ay mykeyboard.eu where it says it can either be v1 or v2 and they stated there is no actual V2 as its just different batches etc etc

this is a copy from their site:
Disclaimer:

There is no actual V2 design of these switches. Durock and JWK have produced multiple new molds in 2020 to increase production capacity.  Large orders (500K+) such as this Alpaca order had Durock use multiple molds split over a multi vendor order.
Because of this, minor changes are noticable over various switches even within a single bag of switches purchased from us.  We are not mixing old and new stock so please keep in mind you can notice minor differences when ordering these switches.  Durock and JWK believe there is no notice in performance different.

As you can read from this detailed comparison of V1 and v2, there are quite a few differences: https://www.theremingoat.com/blog/alpaca-v2-switch-review

I don't know why Mykeyboard would say there aren't.

Offline instaq

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 10:46:53 »
So basically I need to order v1 switches , to make the Creampacas?

Offline Will_I_am344

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 15:25:37 »
I would recommend top housing of Durock Silent Linear based from what I've read.

You can try to ask people who have creampacas which specific parts they used and compared to yours as well.

Offline instaq

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 16:04:40 »
I would recommend top housing of Durock Silent Linear based from what I've read.

You can try to ask people who have creampacas which specific parts they used and compared to yours as well.

They often bought the V1's and would a housing of a nk cream also make it a creampaca or? currently have 4 switches made
1 alpaca normal
2 nk cream normal
3 nk cream with alpaca stem
4 alpaca with nk cream stem en top housing

Would any of these be viable as well?