Author Topic: Ducky Shine 2 FN key mod  (Read 2847 times)

Offline 1van

Ducky Shine 2 FN key mod
« on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 07:56:27 »
Hi,

I'm considering buying a Ducky Shine 2. The only thing stopping me from being 100% happy with my future purchase is the requirement to hold down the FN key to activate the media keys situated on the F keys.

I was wondering if it is possible or if anyone has modified their keyboard so that the FN key behaves like the caps lock key. So that the FN button is activated by pressing it once and deactivated by pressing it again. Instead of having to hold it down while using the function keys.

Thanks for any help in advanced :)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: Ducky Shine 2 FN key mod
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 09:02:56 »
Hi,

I'm considering buying a Ducky Shine 2. The only thing stopping me from being 100% happy with my future purchase is the requirement to hold down the FN key to activate the media keys situated on the F keys.

I was wondering if it is possible or if anyone has modified their keyboard so that the FN key behaves like the caps lock key. So that the FN button is activated by pressing it once and deactivated by pressing it again. Instead of having to hold it down while using the function keys.

Thanks for any help in advanced :)

I modified a Poker by replacing the Fn keyswitch with a locking switch.  Thus, when I push it down, it stays down.  Then, when I push it again, it pops back up.

So when I push the Fn, it stays down and the WASD keys stay arrows.  I push it again and they become letters.

This should work for the Ducky as well.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline 1van

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 08:48:21 »
Thats a really good idea!! Thanks for the advice!!

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 08:52:33 »
The switch is called "mx lock".

They're hard to find in large amounts, but one should be easy enough.
The soldering involved is incredibly basic.

Offline 1van

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 09:45:55 »
Wicked!!! Thank you so much for your help dude!!!!

That is exactly what i was looking for :)

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 05:30:47 »
The FN key never goes from the keyboard controller to the PC if I recall, but I wonder if the keyboard minds having the FN key held down continuously.