geekhack Community > Keyboards

A little help with the ABS M1

(1/8) > >>

Cake_Eater:
I ordered the ABS M1 from newegg a few days ago and now that it's arrived I've spent the past few hours playing around with it. I was hoping to ease into the world of mechanical keyboards with a purchase that wasn't as hard on the wallet as a Filco or the Das. I was looking for a relatively quiet keyboard of good quality and the M1 seemed to fulfill this, unfortunately in using it I've noticed that the little "sproing" reminiscent of the Model M is much more pronounced than I thought and is bothering not only myself but other family members.

I just wanted to know if anyone had either any solutions to make the M1 a little less noticeable or any recommendations to replace it with (or if I should just wait and see if I become accustomed to the sound after a few weeks or not).

wellington1869:
black alps have a sproing? you mean you can hear the spring? I dont remember hearing the spring on the at101w for instance.

kyamei:
I haven't noticed any "sproing" sounds coming from my M1, but I will say the the M1 is probably the loudest board in my collection.  All the noise comes in the form of "clacking" though.  In an attempt to remedy this, I ordered an Apple Extended Keyboard II for the rubber dampers.  Haven't received the AEKII yet, so I can't say how well it works.

wellington1869:
ya, i've put the aek dampers in my black alps (I think I wrote it up in the mods section) it works really well actually. I liked it a lot. Definitely takes the 'clack' off.

lecorsair:
I have an M1 also, mine does not have the "sproing" action either. I'm wondering if you are talking about the bottoming-out sound. However what I do notice with my limited use on mine is that it bottoms out pretty harsh, perhaps that's what you are referring to? If that's the case, you probably will just have to learn to not bottom out like a regular keyboard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version