Author Topic: Trying to Remap Varmilo Switch Tester  (Read 1487 times)

Offline _skeletontoucher

Trying to Remap Varmilo Switch Tester
« on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:45:06 »
This is my first post.  ;D Anyway, I recently received my Varmilo VA12M Switch Tester from Massdrop and it is beautiful. It shipped with a PCB and I'm wondering if it can be flashed and remapped like a Planck or similar. I'm looking to avoid registry editing because I don't want to change my regular keyboard. If no one knows what chip it would use, if any, is there a way for me to check or is there something I can dive into to check it's files? Thanks for any assistance!

Offline regack

Re: Trying to Remap Varmilo Switch Tester
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 20:08:05 »
As far as I have seen I don't believe anyone has disassembled one to see what the controller is.  I have no idea what kind of documentation it comes with, but there might be something. I doubt it will be particularly helpful though.  Probably the easiest way to find out what it is, is to desolder all of the switches and get a good look at the other side of the PCB where all of the electronics are.    The other option would be to use Hasu's USB/USB converter and do whatever you want with those 12 keys...

Offline _skeletontoucher

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 20:28:22 »
Quick question then, does that USB/USB converter essentially override the components on the keyboard?

Offline regack

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:27:33 »
Quick question then, does that USB/USB converter essentially override the components on the keyboard?

Yes, essentially.  Caveat: I don't actually own one.  My understanding is that if you want to reprogram the CAPS LOCK key to instead be CONTROL you can do that.  You don't have to reprogram the actual keyboard, or do anything to the computer.  The converter goes between the computer and keyboard, and acts as a kind of translation device.