Author Topic: Do I need a custom PCB / Hand wiring for this layout?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
Do I need a custom PCB / Hand wiring for this layout?
« on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 11:49:58 »
Hi guys,

Im thriving for the best layout which fits most in my usage. And I'm wondering if there is any PCB out there is available for it. The idea came after I order the Whitefox, but its PCB doesnt allow me to place  the arrow keys like this. Drilling Whitefox's PCB maybe an option, but I try to avoid it.

I also want to thank Matt3o for his idea of intergrating the arrow keys in a compact layout, and that he will share the PCB/CAD design of the Whitefox after the GB.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
Re: Do I need a custom PCB / Hand wiring for this layout?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 12:06:02 »
Teensy and hand wiring will be your best option. Unless you want to design a PCB and get that made, minimum order is usually five or so.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 12:35:12 »
Nice layout! How do you plan to access "-" and "_"? I suppose the up navigation key is dual function for this, am I right?

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 13:03:03 »
Teensy and hand wiring will be your best option. Unless you want to design a PCB and get that made, minimum order is usually five or so.

I have considered hand wiring too, but would like to find a PCB first. Hand wiring is just my last choice :D

Nice layout! How do you plan to access "-" and "_"? I suppose the up navigation key is dual function for this, am I right?

Yes Func+Up = "-" and Shift+Func+Up = "_"

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 13:06:18 »

I have considered hand wiring too, but would like to find a PCB first. Hand wiring is just my last choice :D

It may be your last choice but it's your only option. You're not going to find a premade PCB with that layout unless you want to design one yourself.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 13:18:31 »

Yes Func+Up = "-" and Shift+Func+Up = "_"

:thumb:

Don't be afraid of hand wiring! Hand wiring is fun! :D ...or at least therapeutic in some Zen meditational way :) Also, soldering handwired boards outside in the summer, getting a tan at the same time, is a hot tip from me :D

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 13:25:12 »
Thank you guys for encouraging :D Im following the topics/tutorials of hand wiring now. :D pretty new to custom thingy, so it could be slow going small steps by steps :D