Author Topic: [IC] GMK CYL FTRO - A Message From The Future! April 5-26th, 2024  (Read 13526 times)

Offline nephlock

305725-0

Last night I laid awake, as I often do, and I pondered the future. Do future people still get satisfaction out of customizing keyboards? Do keycaps still spark joy? As my thoughts began to finish my personal data device buzzed and whirred in foreign rhythms. Whether by some divine occurrence or cosmic intervention a message began to appear. An answer to all I had pondered, and a call to action for the fate of that I hold dear...

More

Blearily, I picked through the artifacted transmission and discovered the sense of urgency this 'FTRO' was working to communicate. The future as we know it could be at risk! We need keycaps in order to save it?! And most importantly... DAMMMMMN. I LIKE THE COLORS OF THIS TRANSMISSION!

I sprang into action. I would not let the future fall to "The Industry". I would help FTRO! I called the night phones and urgently arranged for NovelKeys to decode the fragmented data, and with the aid of GMK electronic design GmbH have compiled it into the following input terminals—Utilizing state of the art double-shot ABS plastic, and UV-printing processes.

AVAILABLE FRAGMENTS

ORIGIN <----------
The only terminal data to make the journey intact. Intended as the main console, or as the starting point for anyone wishing to adopt a divergent fragment. Using the available future data as efficiently as possible, I've worked to ensure maximum coverage for the most prevalent configurations.

V1.1

PREVIOUS EXPORTS
More

ALERT! <----------
Although the data beyond the Origin was badly corrupted in the journey. I've assembled what I can of the remains into an upgrade fragment. Appending one (or both) to the Origin should boost its effective customization quotient.

V1.1

PREVIOUS EXPORTS
More

PROJECTED DATA

Using the available Fragments, in conjunction with the devices of our current era, the following projections have been rendered for visual consumption.

A MASSIVE FUTURISTIC THANK YOU to FreshFromTheGrave for the render work on this project!

ACCESS TERMINALS

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
FRAGMENT LIFESPAN:22.SOLS
April 5 - 26, 2024 <-----
/////////////////////////

REGIONAL CONNECTIONS:
USA - NovelKeys
CAN - Desk Hero
EU - Oblotzky Industries
UK - ProtoTypist
AUS - Daily Clack
SEA - iLumKB
CN - zFrontier

Thank you for following my story. You've been a dear. Please like and subscribe for even further nonsense. For those that find it ridiculous... well... it's a pitch for small plastic luxury squares. Imma have fun with it.

As usual, any and all feedback appreciated*!

*lack of feedback inclusion does not correspond to lack of appreciation on my part, but likely a lack of feasibility by a number of external factors.

« Last Edit: Mon, 25 March 2024, 13:35:46 by nephlock »

Offline nephlock

Re: [IC] GMK CYL FTRO - A Message From The Future!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 14:25:49 »
REVISION LOG

ORIGIN FRAGMENT V1.1
  • + R2 1U Esc for extra 40s support
  • + R4 1U Menu
  • + 6U Center-Stem Spacebar
  • Adjusted the R2 1.75U Backspace to have the proper "icon+text" legend

UPGRADES ALERT FRAGMENT V1.1
Original child kitting had two separate accent kits, but the price/MOQ estimates were going to make each one pretty spendy for the customer and ultimately compete too much with each other in the current market. I've opted to reduce the caps down to just the R1 replacements and combine the two into a single alert kit. This results in one kit with 50 keycaps on its own MOQ path, instead of two kits with 40 keycaps (including larger sizes) each. I'm sad to lose some standard accents and the relegendables, but the fun and flavor of the set lies in the dual alert row colors, and I didn't want to compromise that aspect.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 March 2024, 13:45:19 by nephlock »

Offline Yuinth

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 14:38:35 »
This looks very nice. Are the sublegends raised/embossed?

Offline nephlock

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 14:53:37 »
This looks very nice. Are the sublegends raised/embossed?

The are UV printed, which does raise them up slightly on the surface of the keycaps. The same method GMK has used for a variety of other sets

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 16:03:28 »
Wow those renders are STUNNING.

down with the mega corporations!!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 17:43:49 »
Hi, are the colors all custom colors?

Offline nephlock

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 18:08:44 »
Hi, are the colors all custom colors?

AYYY! So only one of them is. The white is GMK 3K, the yellow is GMK N6, and the Gray is a custom (SP GTD).

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 18:20:00 »
Do people still use APL in the future?

I really hope not.
I once interviewed at a company that developed software in APL. They taught me the basics, gave me a couple assignments (using keyboards without APL legends) and then taunted me for not using the = operator as "not xor". I had been too preoccupied with typing wrong to have time to think that way about the program.
My mum had to use that company's software at work. Everyone there hated to use it.

Offline Magnifikaz

• Yearning Yellow
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 00:16:46 »
Great and yellow are such a great pairing :thumb:

Offline ppatches24

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 02:10:29 »
2024 and not triple shot.

GMK is falling behind in my opinion.

DMK Donuts has ruined me.

Looks great, would buy if triple shot.

JTK does it and DMK does it. We should be at the point that GMK should be able to do front molded triple or quad shot.

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 January 2024, 02:18:07 by ppatches24 »

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 03:32:12 »
gmk lunar APL base

Offline CryosFear

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 13:54:28 »
Will buy if tripleshot  :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 16:33:23 »
I'll take one of everything, please

Offline Trackpoint

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 January 2024, 15:13:17 »
Looks nice, though I'd be conflicted between getting the yellow or light grey accents (which of course would just mean getting both).

I appreciate the inclusion of a Menu key. Any chance on including a 1u Menu also? Probably not possible considering I rarely see GMK or really any manufacturers that have one, save for icon-only sets or extension kits.

Offline OctanePhantom

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 January 2024, 17:21:27 »
 love the design, definitely interested

Offline Cobertt

• Control on Caps
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 January 2024, 11:37:47 »
I really like the fullness of the base kit. Love seeing 1.5u system keys. Definitely keeping an eye out on this.
HHKB Pro2 | Mira SE | FJELL | KARA HAZE | CW88 FNF WKL Wine | HHKB Prophet | Tengu | Prototype CW60 HHKB Skunkworxxx | Prototype K80 | Tokyo60 | Gingko65Midway LEKei | Frog TKL | Saturn60

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 January 2024, 12:56:50 »
i guess i have no feedback, which makes me interested in the set, but i would have liked to see at least a form for people to fill out rather than leaving comments here that likely won't amount to anything. doesn't feel very community friendly when your interest check looks like a blatant ad. novelkeys and designers are rapidly separating themselves from involvement in the community when it comes to the product they're trying to sell them, which makes me worry that either

1: hobbyists won't have any input pretty soon and will simply have to choose whether to buy or not, which i don't believe benefits members of the hobby or novelkeys/vendors as reach becomes limited

b: actually 1 is my only worry.

just cmon. we've been doing this for years. vendors that want to stay around long term are pretty set in stone. i'd like to see them still caring about the communities that propped them up rather than showing us pictures and expecting people to buy without any possibility changes. a little disclaimer isn't enough, and you even made it so small like awful radio ads who talk so fast. cmon...

Offline nephlock

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 January 2024, 14:29:55 »
i guess i have no feedback, which makes me interested in the set

Thank you! I appreciate that :)

Doesn't feel very community friendly when your interest check looks like a blatant ad.

You do have a point here, and I will admit it is primarily an ad as there are already plans to run the set. On the other hand it's far from the first set to feel or do so, and one of the primary pieces of 'feedback' on ICs that aren't fully fleshed out tends to be some copy pasta or other meme level remark about effort. The more baked something is, the less flexible it becomes.

novelkeys and designers are rapidly separating themselves from involvement in the community when it comes to the product they're trying to sell them.
i'd like to see them still caring about the communities that propped them up rather than showing us pictures and expecting people to buy without any possibility changes.

1: hobbyists won't have any input pretty soon and will simply have to choose whether to buy or not, which i don't believe benefits members of the hobby or novelkeys/vendors as reach becomes limited.

I can't help but feel a bit of targeted bite in there. Or maybe bait, I can't tell. We care a great deal about the community, it's input, and especially when it comes to products to sell. We wouldn't be where we are without it, and I feel like we've done a great deal over the past year to prove that our investment in this community is as strong as it ever has been.

On products, if I wanted to show pretty pictures without possible changes and just list the set, I'd do it and be done. A set also shouldn't be "the community gets everything they want or the designer doesn't care". There is a middle-ground here, and that's where I believe the modern Interest Check lives.

Feedback asking for triple-shot on a planned (and stated as so) GMK set is outside the realm of possibility, as they don't have the means to produce it. BUT someone saying "I appreciate the inclusion of a Menu key. Any chance on including a 1u Menu also?"  THIS is doable, I hadn't thought anybody cared about the inclusion of Menu enough to comment, and adding a 1u here is VERY doable. That's the type of feedback that changes a product before it goes on offer, and the type i've always been receptive to.

My experience in doing these is that the majority of large feedback items rarely come from actually interested parties, and comes from people feeling a need to point out a lack of something just for the sake of it. People that genuinely enjoy the product for what it is might want a few layout caps, or inquire about a legend adjustment.

i would have liked to see at least a form for people to fill out rather than leaving comments here that likely won't amount to anything

I prefer an open discussion here. Forms create blind feedback, that in my opinion doesn't transfer to actual behavior when the rubber hits the road. "Will you buy Yes/No", "Which do you prefer", etc. Past forms i've done have resulted in a lot of un-invested people filling them out because its easy, and served as a place for them to further berate over some exclusion that invariably has to happen at some point. Its a lot of noise that clogs up and drowns out the ones that are actually interested, and enough so to state something that can be viewed by all. I believe it encourages more of that community interaction rather than just aggregating data in an excel doc.

you don't have to like it, but everyone does it differently, and that's actually ok.

a little disclaimer isn't enough, and you even made it so small like awful radio ads who talk so fast. cmon...

This was done for tongue-in-cheek humor at some of the more ridiculous 'pie in the sky' types of feedback i've seen in the past that aren't realistically possible. Not for an attempt to trap somebody with some sort of 'gotcha'. I'd thought the language used helped get that across, but I see it missed its mark. Apologies for the offense there.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 January 2024, 15:19:03 »
i assure you i'm all bite and no bait

thanks for the reply!

Offline white_rabbit

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 January 2024, 17:49:38 »
The R2 1.75U backspace in the render is text only and should be texticon, also I'm sure there's at least two people wanting to put this on a Vero or MX converted HHKB/Realforce that would appreciate a 6UC spacebar.

Offline re1neke

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 14:58:29 »
I certainly want to have all of them :thumb:
But I also have no trust in printed sublegends. If they only would be triple-shot...   :rolleyes:

P.S. Having a 6U space too would be great!
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 February 2024, 15:06:50 by re1neke »

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 23:45:41 »
Relegendables for GMK Greg?

2024 is great

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 08 February 2024, 15:05:23 »
That looks really nice - I was done buying keysets but I will have to make an exception for this one. Can't wait!

Offline Heinze

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 18:08:42 »
Would love to buy it if it was a triple-shot. Anyway, guess I'd buy it anyway (but would certainly use more comfortably as a DMK/JTK). GLWIC

Offline IMZO

• Matrix shill, and TKL WKL Lover
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 10 February 2024, 23:54:48 »
i like the colors on this set
More
Current boards: Jane V2 CE , Matrix 1.2og Silver WKL , Matrix 2.0add coating black WKL, Matrix 2.0add WKL Coating yellow, Satisfaction75 R1 Cloud white, Korno65, Bloop65, HHKB Pro 2 white,Lin Whale Pink WKL, Gok 7v White, Gok 7v Black, Orion V3 Silver WKL, Orion V2.5 Red WKL, Geon F1-8x Silver WK, Haus65 BlueGray, Plume65, Vertigo, Frog TKL WKL GreenF13

Offline aa212121

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 11 February 2024, 03:43:38 »
I hope you do a better job of color matching the pad print and the yellow keys than GMK Hooty.
Hooty's pink accent keys and sublegend pad print colors are so different, I cant use the accent keys at all.

Offline nephlock

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 19 February 2024, 12:25:59 »
UPDATE RECEIVED

COMPILING FEEDBACK...........
.........................DONE

ORIGIN FRAGMENT CHANGELOG
EXPORT V1.1

• + R2 1U Esc for extra 40s support
  • + R4 1U Menu
  • + 6U Center-Stem Spacebar
  • Adjusted the R2 1.75U Backspace to have the proper "icon+text" legend

Offline ppatches24

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 19 February 2024, 22:58:34 »
Honestly thankful you chose not to do triple shot. I would have had to buy them if they were.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 28 February 2024, 13:32:38 »
Nice set! Please consider adding R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn for additional right column support (primarily for 65%). I feel these keys are more commonly used than some of the other inclusions, so it'd be a shame not to have them in the kit.

Offline MoltenKhor

• www.khor.store
    • Khor Store
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 04 March 2024, 05:33:59 »
Gray set, you got my attention

Offline nephlock

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 08 March 2024, 12:54:50 »
UPDATE RECEIVED

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
FRAGMENT LIFESPAN:22.SOLS
April 5 - 26, 2024 <-----
/////////////////////////

BROADCASTING GLOBALLY........

REGIONAL CONNECTIONS:
USA - NovelKeys
CAN - Desk Hero
EU - Oblotzky Industries
UK - ProtoTypist
AUS - Daily Clack
SEA - iLumKB
CN - zFrontier

END TRANSMISSION

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
Re: [IC] GMK CYL FTRO - A Message From The Future! April 5-26th, 2024
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 08 March 2024, 13:47:38 »
Oblo as EU vendor! You have my money!

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 08 March 2024, 16:15:30 »
2024 and not triple shot.

GMK is falling behind in my opinion.

DMK Donuts has ruined me.

Looks great, would buy if triple shot.

JTK does it and DMK does it. We should be at the point that GMK should be able to do front molded triple or quad shot.

Keykobo does triple-shot too, and the quality is identical to GMK.

Offline nephlock

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 March 2024, 13:51:29 »
UPDATE RECEIVED

ADJUSTING....................

ALERT! <---------- V1.1

Original child kitting had two separate accent kits, but the price/MOQ estimates were going to make each one pretty spendy for the customer and ultimately compete too much with each other in the current market. I've opted to reduce the caps down to just the R1 replacements and combine the two into a single alert kit. This results in one kit with 50 keycaps on its own MOQ path, instead of two kits with 40 keycaps (including larger sizes) each. I'm sad to lose some standard accents and the relegendables, but the fun and flavor of the set lies in the dual alert row colors, and I didn't want to compromise that aspect.

END TRANSMISSION

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 26 March 2024, 03:23:02 »
I cannot say I cared about the spacebars and return keys (but that is only me, of course), though I was only interested in the yellow accents, not the white ones, and was really interested in the arrows. The set without accents is nice but the accents really made it pop. I will have to see the price of the new accent kit before I decide to jump in or not. It was a definite buy before the change, so hypothetically a sad day for me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2024, 03:28:24 by JSaintS »

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 26 March 2024, 05:01:50 »
no relegendables means I'll have to pass

Offline nephlock

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 26 March 2024, 10:54:26 »
no relegendables means I'll have to pass

see you next time, space cowboy

I cannot say I cared about the spacebars and return keys (but that is only me, of course), though I was only interested in the yellow accents, not the white ones, and was really interested in the arrows. The set without accents is nice but the accents really made it pop. I will have to see the price of the new accent kit before I decide to jump in or not. It was a definite buy before the change, so hypothetically a sad day for me.

choosing to make some cuts is always a sad day. while i expect that not everyone will be happy with the end result, I believe this one to be the most efficient option.