Author Topic: Share Your Typewriters!  (Read 4319 times)

Offline BrooklynTony198

• A person was here.... Now its only keyboards.
Share Your Typewriters!
« on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 05:48:39 »
Was semi surprised there wasn't a current typewriter thread, seeing how typewriters have keyboards.... So I'll start first.

Just got my IBM Correcting Selectric II (mostly) working! It got the dreaded thump of a bad main pulley, but I can't complain much for a $6~ typewriter. Got 3 for $20, and currently fixing them up.

Here is the first one I've got workin, typing some small stuff as a test.

243138-0

Here are the other 2 under the working one. One is a Selectric II non correcting, the other seeems to be a Correcting Selectric thats missing all the parts that make it a Correcting model... Anyway, share your typewriters!

IBM Model M5-2        IBM Model F XT       Asteria60             AntaresTKL           Scorpii9

Offline captain

Re: Share Your Typewriters!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 05:51:17 »
We didn’t have “correcting” anything. We just worked really hard at speed AND accuracy! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 11:17:08 »
Whomst has awoken the ancient one?

Oh boy, here we go. Let’s see...

Starting with the electric ones; IBM Selectric II in Red (used to own many more but sold them over the years...), Olympia Report De Luxe. The Olympia I actually use most often among all my machines. I put it to use almost daily. Although nothing particularly special, its just a solid machine and a joy to work with. The things it does, it does perfectly.

Most of my electrics I sold over the years. Now to the manuals. First the Office models.

Olympia SG1

Best manual ever made. Nothing like it. Among my manuals, it gets the most use. It does everything, and everything perfectly. Segment shift, 4-position ribbon adjust, decimal tabulator, instant paper-insert, Double-spaced letters, quick remove carriage... etc. Look up the SG1 on YouTube, I recommend the Video from Typewriter Justice. You wont be disappointed.

- Ideal Standard from 1939.

- Continental Standard from 1939.

- Erika 20 (really sits in-between standard and portable...)

These are apparently insanely rare from what I understand. I’ve certainly never seen another one for sale (http://xoverit.blogspot.com/2016/10/holy-grail-in-disguise-erika-20.html)

Portables:

Erika 10

Erika 9, Erika 8, Olympia SM3, Olympia SM4, Olympia Elite, Optima Elite, Erika Model M

Ultra-Portables:

Hermes baby

Groma Kolibri

Back at school I used a yellow Silverette from Japan, I think I sold that one years ago.

I also used to own an IBM Wheelwriter, which I think I just threw away at some point after salvaging a few parts. Not really into electronic typewriters. 

I sold many over the years, used to own a nice Olivetti Lettera 32 in lime green. Never should have sold that one...

While the Selectrics and nice and efficient, they just don’t give me that feeling I’m looking for, and most (like… ALL) of them are in dire need for maintenance, which I just can’t provide. Cleaning them is also a nightmare, and they have to be cleaned... always. The electric typebar-machines are much more up my alley, and not such divas. They just work.

Offline BrooklynTony198

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:18:12 »

Wow, thats quite the collection  :eek:

I haven't yet got fully into typewriters, my wallet would hate me if I did...

IBM Model M5-2        IBM Model F XT       Asteria60             AntaresTKL           Scorpii9

Offline Olumin

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:32:17 »

Wow, thats quite the collection  :eek:

I haven't yet got fully into typewriters, my wallet would hate me if I did...

Most typewriters can be had for very cheap! Especially on flea markets and garage sales. If you like electric ones it’s even easier to make deals, as most collectors focus on the portable manuals. Do you own a mechanical machine yet, or is the IBM your first typewriter? 

Offline JP

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:54:39 »
Whoa, what a lovely collection of typewriters  :thumb: I definitely want a typewriter or two. I just need more storage and desk space.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline -Space-NATO-

• Love Cats and old keyboards.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 15:14:48 »
This is my selectric II! repainted it!

IBM Model F XT        IBM Model M          IBM Model M122     Leopold FC980M

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 15:21:04 »
I've got a few more, but this photo is handy.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Olumin

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 15:34:52 »
I've got a few more, but this photo is handy.
Show Image

These are excellent machines, among the best “true” portables for sure, and real users. I like the 32 a bit more because of the square keys... and the cool paper support of cause… Olivetti certainly always had the edge when it came to design. I really regret selling mine..

Funny story; a ASMR video on YouTube featuring an Olivetti Lettera 32 was originally the reason why I wanted one so badly! Just don’t ask… I have to get another one sometime.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 15:38:20 »

Tasteful choice of color. In the states there seem to be so many cool color variants, here in Germany they only ever seem to come in red, grey or green...

Offline BrooklynTony198

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 16:55:14 »

Most typewriters can be had for very cheap! Especially on flea markets and garage sales. If you like electric ones it’s even easier to make deals, as most collectors focus on the portable manuals. Do you own a mechanical machine yet, or is the IBM your first typewriter? 

These Selectrics are my first typewriters. All the mechanical ones in my area seem to go for over $200 on craigslist...

Nice Selectric!

Offline typo

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 23:11:10 »
OP, is that a Selectric II? Have one just like it. Millions of hours. Never services. works as new! I have a very late Olevetti that is nearly a "word processor" and I like it. It is no collectors item but it is as fancy as typewriters ever got.

Offline BrooklynTony198

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 15:39:38 »
OP, is that a Selectric II? Have one just like it. Millions of hours. Never services. works as new! I have a very late Olevetti that is nearly a "word processor" and I like it. It is no collectors item but it is as fancy as typewriters ever got.

Yup that is a Correcting Selectric II. The other blue one is a regular Selectric II with the smaller platen of like 13" wide, and the green one... I have no idea what the green one is, its in a Correcting Selectric II case, but is missing not only the correction key keycap, but also the lever... and all the correction tape bits. Hopefully I can source a replacement pulley.