Author Topic: Help me spec a computer!  (Read 11111 times)

Offline typo

Re: Help me spec a computer!
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 08:28:23 »
I know, but when I opened it, it was a 970 Evo plus. The Mobo is a good Rog. The video card is a good Asus too. The memory sucked. I replaced it with 64GB PC4133. The PSU sucks but not a huge deal to me. I am not going to OC this machine. You ask why then the memory? Got a good deal :)

I get it Leslie. I did not take it personal but you have to believe me too 'Ya know. they do substitute parts all the time. They grab whatever they have.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:20:09 »
Wait. You financed the PC.

You bought 64gb of which and at what timings? The hell you need that for?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline typo

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 14:54:20 »
Just because I am a schmuck! Local computer guy installed it. It was about $650 installed. Corsair. I think it was 4 sticks, CLS18.  the original memory sucked. it was only 2666, CLS16. I know the timing was lower but the clock more than makes up for it. Just wasting my money. Honestly, I felt guilty against this guy and wanted to throw him a bone. So I did. That is all. He gave me $200 for old memory, so it was really only about $450. He installed some cards ETC. It was worth it to me.

Yes, I financed the PC for 1 year at zero percent interest. I did not see why not? Free money there.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:14:52 »
Chrome is smiling at you right now, typo. Same with premiere pro. Now, the question is whos going to eat all the ram..?

Offline typo

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 20:32:05 »
Sintpinty, I do not understand what you mean? Call me stupid. chrome does not use a lot of resources you mean? I use edge! I will use that ram I assure you in Photoshop ETC.  I feel 2080 TI is a much better value than a Quadro unless you get the 8000. which is about 13 Grand! Overclock the 2080 TI and it is a very potent card. Now with their new creator drivers it is just as good as a Quadro for creative content. That is actually a decent card in there. Asus did not skimp on the components on this machine. the only thing is limited to 64GB. 128GB in the future would be good. Probably never do it though so it is fine. Luckily it has full 4 slots. If it had only 2 the memory would have cost more than I could muster. like I said, mainly I felt I owed this guy something. That is an entirely another story in itself however.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 20:36:34 »
Sintpinty, I do not understand what you mean? Call me stupid. chrome does not use a lot of resources you mean? I use edge! I will use that ram I assure you in Photoshop ETC.  I feel 2080 TI is a much better value than a Quadro unless you get the 8000. which is about 13 Grand! Overclock the 2080 TI and it is a very potent card. Now with their new creator drivers it is just as good as a Quadro for creative content. That is actually a decent card in there. Asus did not skimp on the components on this machine. the only thing is limited to 64GB. 128GB in the future would be good. Probably never do it though so it is fine. Luckily it has full 4 slots. If it had only 2 the memory would have cost more than I could muster. like I said, mainly I felt I owed this guy something. That is an entirely another story in itself however.

It’s just a joke :). For me premiere eats up a town of ram

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 21:30:53 »
Just because I am a schmuck! Local computer guy installed it. It was about $650 installed. Corsair. I think it was 4 sticks, CLS18.  the original memory sucked. it was only 2666, CLS16. I know the timing was lower but the clock more than makes up for it. Just wasting my money. Honestly, I felt guilty against this guy and wanted to throw him a bone. So I did. That is all. He gave me $200 for old memory, so it was really only about $450. He installed some cards ETC. It was worth it to me.
I hope he did quite a lot more than installing some cards.

The original spec on that system was for 3200 not 2666, you should have called Asus or Microcenter and complained.
Between this and the drive it really sounds to me like you got a returned/refurbished system. My advice to you as a professional who does this for a living is this... Get the old ram back and take that whole thing back to where you got it and get a refund then start over. Run, don't walk, and do it before you get settled in and end up dumping money into it.

BTW,
Edge was redesigned, it's now just a Microsoft tweaked/skinned version of Chrome. Not sure if everyone is using this version yet, but you will be.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline typo

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 22:33:33 »
Leslie, I am not slick at this stuff. I will get screwed. all that is gone is the ram. I am sure he would gladly swap it back. How would you go about this nicely to get this all back together and back to Asus. the big problem is I deleted their OS! they may not notice until it is too late for them though. With any luck. I will just install Windows 10 Pro 2400. The Evo is the one it came with! I swear to you on that. What does not seem "kosher" about it. Like I said these systems they grab any in-spec parts they have on hand, Hence, better Drive, lesser memory. You are unlikely to win them all. 3200HZ is within spec of the CPU. So they once again probably grabbed what they had. A lot of these machines are actually built at places such as microcenter in fact. there is nothing to them. they are just costly. Would you still really bring it back since I got the better drive and replaced the memory anyways? I did get the 5 year warranty which includes "Authorized upgrades". I have not touched it! Thank you

Edit: I meant 2666MHZ is in spec of that CPU not 3200MHZ. As I had mistakenly typed. I lost the "lottery" there and got the 2600MHZ part. On the box those are "general" specs. If you read the disclaimer you could get better or worse, so long as it meets specs. So I do believe it is as intended. Mind you these are "binned" OEM pieces. They have no "white" label on them. I am reading them with CPU-Z.  I am happier to have lucked out with the 970 Evo plus since I wanted to upgrade to 64GB anyhow. Unless, you really think I should dump this? It came shrink wrapped directly from Asus. The main parts, Mainboard, Video card are upper Asus ROG parts but OEM. Again, reading through software. I just know OEM as they have no White labels. The only thing iffy is the PSU but not overclocking I do not really mind. It is "platinum plus". Modular but of course the extra cords not included. One nice thing is this is very quiet. I am happy with it, unless you are absolutely sure I got a return?

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 01:04:33 by typo »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 05:58:04 »
Ooookay, you seeing 2666 makes sense now.

Ram has changed.
It used to be that if you bought 3200 mhz ram it defaulted to 3200mhz, that's no longer true today, it defaults to the cpu speed (?), in this case 2666. You actually have to go into Bios (efi) and enable XMP (I forget the AMD name for it) and it will jump to the higher speed. I don't know why they did this, seems counter intuitive, but they did. Anyone who has an Intel, be warned, Intel is being real sh*theads about this and if you call about a CPU warranty one of the first things they ask is if you enabled XMP and if so telling you they will not cover it.

Yes, companies will swap parts if they run out but it needs to match or better the claimed part. When you said it was 2666 I was thinking that was the ram speed, not what it was running at which would indicate it had been changed. One part being changed by the factory, okay, two parts and I start seeing major red flags that someone had messed with it. You wouldn't see Dell or Apple sending out a system with a bunch of alternate parts, one maybe, two no way.

Seems like you're fine, just a misunderstanding, sorry for making you panic.
I do think you over payed on ram though.

By the way, so long as it had Win10, they couldn't really say anything when returned, you could have just uninstalled the pre-installed software, done a system refresh or if it went from home to pro you could have bought an upgrade, they wouldn't know. Regardless, first thing they would do when it came back would be to wipe it and reload the original copy of Windows it had to begin with in order to run diagnostics with known variables while at the same time removing your data. This is why when you send a system in for factory repair it often comes back wiped, it happens less these days, but it still happens.

Parts can be OEM without being white label, I've seen them slap high end stickers on garbage just to make it look higher end. I doubt that's the case here, the margins are higher and the volume is lower on halo products, making it less worth the hassle but I don't put anything past some OEMs when it comes to saving a buck.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 00:30:48 »
Thank you Leslie. I kind of figured just miscommunication. I know I paid him his expensive price for the ram. the entire reason I got a prebuilt machine. the thing is he gave me a "trade in" on the memory it had. Best Buy would never do that! So it was still $200 less and it is good Corsair ram. The parts in this thing are pretty good. I looked up all the part numbers. Not the best but about second from the best in most instances. It would actually cost about $300 more to build this machine yourself! Plus I like it is quiet. Machines are never quiet anymore. Unless purpose built low-spec.

Good to know about Windows. I did not even disarm and my product key worked! That was old key though so no wonder. New key was never used. So I am happy because the video card is  RTX2080TI-11G. Not the fastest one but quiet with one fan. To my liking. they really did not slouch on anything. The Motherboard is a ROG Strix X570-E. I am not sure that there is anything really wrong with this machine? these are the parts I have in it. I know I look like a liar because the spec sheet says differently. all I can guess is being so new that they updated it or something or ran out of parts. A lot of these parts are sold out everywhere.

I swear I am not lying though. There is no way I can fit my phone in there. You either take my word for it or don't. It is an okay machine. Quite frankly, it is my last machine anyways. I just hope it does not leak. I really wanted fan cooled but I guess that is exactly why it is so quiet! I figure AIO is no issue. Custom could be Iffy sometimes. Depends on whom built it. That is all. Please do not call me a liar without proof!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 03:15:22 »
The parts and system sound good, and I'm sure it's a beast at anything it does.
I don't agree with prebuilts because as you just saw with the ram, they never come spec'd how you want or need, it's a one-size-fits-all (or 3 size fit all) in a world full of different shapes and sizes.

Good machines today are quiet, or at least they can be, the problem is too many manufacturers grab the crappiest cooler they can to save money, often even on good machines. Good air coolers exist, you can even get them for silly low prices ($30 or less), you've just been burned by OEM garbage too many times (their fault not yours). AIOs are fine just beware after a few years they expect you to replace them, it's a mixed metals system that slowly corrodes. If you do want air and silence though, check out Noctua, they can do the job no problem. Room may be somewhat of an issue but compared to some machines I've worked with yours is positively roomy.

Side note
Get a cpu load monitor that shows individual core loads, you have the power to spare and it's really interesting to see how they get loaded.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 09:46:59 »
Sintpinty, I do not understand what you mean? Call me stupid. chrome does not use a lot of resources you mean?

Google Chrome leaks memory like it was rushing across the Atlantic to New York on its maiden voyage and struck an iceberg.

It would actually cost about $300 more to build this machine yourself!

I did a quick calculation throwing together parts available on Newegg and Amazon. I sorted by lowest price, but stuck with name brands with 4-5 eggs/stars, and used the 970 Evo plus, a 2TB WD black (I imagine the one that comes in the system is not as good), an 850 watt Seasonic 80 Plus Platinum, a fancy Asus ROG motherboard, threw in $100 for a case and $100 for fans, and $150 for a Windows 10 Pro license. The rest were parts to the same spec of the Asus product page you linked, as things like 32gb of DDR4 3200 memory, the GPU, etc, are virtually all equivalent anyway. The total came to $3,095.94. If you were to pay somebody to build it for you, anybody that's not a douche, that shouldn't tack on more than a few hundred dollars.

That's far from the system I would build to begin with, but it would certainly cost quite a bit less and have better components. Leaving out any water cooling was intentional, and would mean a marginal change in price. I prefer to set and forget things like that. I'm the kind of person that sets up a positive airflow cooling scheme and uses magnetic fan filters because I don't even feel like having to blow the case out from time to time, much less have to worry about liquid running throughout the case.

Thank you Leslie. I kind of figured just miscommunication. I know I paid him his expensive price for the ram. the entire reason I got a prebuilt machine. the thing is he gave me a "trade in" on the memory it had. Best Buy would never do that! So it was still $200 less and it is good Corsair ram. The parts in this thing are pretty good. I looked up all the part numbers. Not the best but about second from the best in most instances. It would actually cost about $300 more to build this machine yourself! Plus I like it is quiet. Machines are never quiet anymore. Unless purpose built low-spec.

RAM speeds are not a bottleneck in modern systems. Spending all of that money on really fast RAM is just burning bills for a few extra FPS in a game, even if your CPU could take advantage of its rated speeds. To each their own though. Quick Google searches suggest that 3600-3800mhz is about the best memory clocks you'll get in conjunction with that processor with ideal overclocking. 3200mhz is all AMD officially supports for it.

I just hope it does not leak. I really wanted fan cooled but I guess that is exactly why it is so quiet!

Water cooling can end up louder than an efficient air cooling setup. The pump makes noise, and the radiator still requires fans. Personally, I like to stick a brick of a CPU cooler, as many of the largest fans the case, and chosen cooling scheme support, and set them to run as slowly as I can without the system running warm. I also don't overclock anything other than RAM, since doing so is the only way to get a stick's rated speed ever since they moved the memory controller to the CPU. Like this, systems I build (with a decently well-ventilated case design) usually run around ambient temperature other than when under full load in games, etc, and are pretty quiet even with random el cheapo fans and no case deadening, etc.

Offline typo

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 19:26:15 »
For one thing, Please don't make me feel bad. I wanted one-stop-shop. I do prefer air. I know Noctua. I too only use XMP. I do not intend to OC the CPU or GPU. This is plenty fast enough. In fact I have yet to even kick it into turbo frequencies! I am logging it.  It was louder but I turned down all the fan curves. I am not at all pushing it, so it is fine. Plus thermal shutdown is on all cores at only 85C. Max it allows is 105C.

Offline JP

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 22:41:43 »
People, you can actually have a local shop build what YOU want, trust me, they don't mind!
You don't have to build it, they can even guide you if you need help or you can walk in with a list of what you want. In the end, unless you're buying from a company like Puget systems or they short change you on the PSU (specify you want name brand) you will almost always end up with something better and longer loved than a pre-built or mass manufacturered "custom" like the Asus above. And you have a local person who knows the system and can fix it when there's an issue instead of dealing with Asus, HP, Dell, etc.. help line and sending it back and forth for repair when something simple fails.

One of my buddies manages a local computer store and they will do high-end customs builds by request. He loves doing special projects like these, especially when budget is not an issue and the client demands the most balls to the wall machine.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline typo

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 22:55:06 »
I know the guy gives a customer like this "special consideration". Problem is it was too much money with him. I would have rather supported a local business in fact. With him the price of the video card was more than half the machine alone. I am not saying he is a ripoff. He just does not have the volume on that level. To order one part ever is pretty much retail pricing for him. Then he must mark it up 40% to make a profit. Plus his buildout cost is very high on such a machine. I am bashing him in no way. I honestly would have supported him if I had the money. I got a nice machine I could afford and did not even have to pay upfront. To me, it was what I was looking for. I think AIO is okay. Too soon for me to tell.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 23:27:39 »
One of my buddies manages a local computer store and they will do high-end customs builds by request. He loves doing special projects like these, especially when budget is not an issue and the client demands the most balls to the wall machine.
Anytime you get something other than a typical office computer it's fun, money or not.

2 years ago I built a portable VR gaming system in a Cooler Master 110 case which is  8x10x11", I managed to fit an I7, a GTX 1060 ITX, dual spinners and a full size psu which is nuts. It wasn't a high dollar build but it was a fun challenge, the customer loved it and it ran pretty quiet thanks to good part selection but I NEVER want to work in that case ever again.

With him the price of the video card was more than half the machine alone.
There is a lot of shady people in the industry.
As for what you paid, it's a high end boutique system, you always a pay a premium there. Some place a value on it being one stop shopping, others like it all being a continuous theme, others would rather pay less.

You valued one stop shopping, nothing wrong with that.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline jamster

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 02:11:52 »
This all seems like way too much drama for a machine that's supposed to play Fortnite  :eek:

Offline walie

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 08:06:02 »
I know the guy gives a customer like this "special consideration". Problem is it was too much money with him. I would have rather supported a local business in fact. With him the price of the video card was more than half the machine alone. I am not saying he is a ripoff. He just does not have the volume on that level. To order one part ever is pretty much retail pricing for him. Then he must mark it up 40% to make a profit. Plus his buildout cost is very high on such a machine. I am bashing him in no way. I honestly would have supported him if I had the money. I got a nice machine I could afford and did not even have to pay upfront. To me, it was what I was looking for. I think AIO is okay. Too soon for me to tell.

You said your budget was 12 grand

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 11:13:18 »
This all seems like way too much drama for a machine that's supposed to play Fortnite  :eek:

Esports is going to become the PREMIERE sport, if not ONLY sport in the future. 

Live sports is dead..

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:23:50 »

Esports is going to become the PREMIERE sport, if not ONLY sport in the future. 

Live sports is dead..

I wish all sports were dead, but people like what they like. I find watching people fight over an inflated animal organ for a few hours only marginally more boring than watching somebody else play a video game I could just launch and play myself.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:27:52 »
I wish all sports were dead, but people like what they like. I find watching people fight over an inflated animal organ for a few hours only marginally more boring than watching somebody else play a video game I could just launch and play myself.

You have to play at a very high lvl to appreciate what Esports pr0s do.

If anyone just watches -Flash- play starcraft, they'd just think , wha, I could build tanks too bieetch..

The difference is, Flash can build tanks, micro his vulture/mines, macro his expansion, and scout SCV simultaneously.  He can adapt to scenarios that someone watching at home simply can not even imagine.

It's the difference between a Casual, and a Serious Player even when we're just talking viewership.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:48:51 »

You have to play at a very high lvl to appreciate what Esports pr0s do.

If anyone just watches -Flash- play starcraft, they'd just think , wha, I could build tanks too bieetch..

The difference is, Flash can build tanks, micro his vulture/mines, macro his expansion, and scout SCV simultaneously.  He can adapt to scenarios that someone watching at home simply can not even imagine.

It's the difference between a Casual, and a Serious Player even when we're just talking viewership.

Show Image

I imagine that may be the case for some people? That's not even a factor if you ask me. I don't care if somebody is good or bad at ABC in game XYZ. With Starcraft 2, in particular, what little I have seen of professional play, I find it hilarious that people literally just fidget around like a hamster on speed just to artificially inflate their APM ... for literally no practical reason. Meaningless stat, which drives meaningless gameplay.

Everyone can imagine anything, in my opinion. With games, especially ones that have little to do with reflexes and precision, it should only take practice and dedication to do anything anybody else does. Even with FPS games, I know there was a massive gap between people who had Xbox Live growing up and those who just played Halo 1+2 by themselves, or with siblings and friends. You could guess who had Xbox Live because you could literally take the best of the best of anybody who did not and their whole team would get wiped by almost anybody who did. If you put enough time and effort into mastering a game, especially if you manage to consistently match against challenging opponents, you'll drastically improve.

Even if this were not the case, it is still equivalent to regular sports to me. In the case of Starcraft II, maybe strategy and tactics can be gleaned by watching somebody else play, just like chess, but even that's not necessarily enough to pique interest. It is way more interesting and fun to just play the game yourself, which is also much easier to do with video games, whenever you want, vs traditional sports.

Offline typo

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 08:33:24 »
I hate real sports too. I honestly think they are sissy. Except boxing/MMA. That is barbaric! Pro wrestling is not real so does not count. Injuries there are from stupidity. I fully agree about pig ball. Disgusting. At least leave the poor pig out of it. What did the pig do?

I have to come clean though. For one thing. I tried Fortnite. It is pretty cool but will take me hours to learn. I probably will not do it. I enjoy many of the NFS and GTA titles. Not because of the game. I enjoy racing. Well, I did. Now, about coming clean. What I like most? Benchmarking! LOL. I will tell you, this machine put me up there too! I certainly did not "win" by any stretch but I faired well. If I max overclocked it which I just won't I would very well be close to the top. For a single CPU/GPU. Multi Xeons with Multi 2080TI's will kill me. You would be surprised how many kids actually have that. I mean just judging from the number benchmarked. Since I doubt everyone did that at work.

I am happy with the machine. Like someone said, I did not expect this thread to be so long :) I am glad I picked a good topic!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 21:21:04 »
I have to come clean though. For one thing. I tried Fortnite. It is pretty cool but will take me hours to learn. I probably will not do it.

And there it is, the long-con troll finally reveals it's face.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 04:40:26 »
Indeed Leslie! At least I told the truth. I like to be honest. Even if people do not take it better than a lie. I could have very well lied. Playing Fortnite right now, this is freaking off the chain I love this game....

It was not trolling. I needed a machine. That was true. It was complete overkill. That was also true. It was much less money than I thought they cost though. That was good for me at least. I really like the machine. Nothing wrong with that? I still play the heck out of NFS and GTA. GTA is a hardware intensive game? So I was not so keen on Fortnite after all. What is the big deal there? It is not like there are a Million other games I can try. At least I have hardware that can do it.

Offline jamster

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 08:56:43 »
I've only just returned to GH after a multi year hiatus, but what is it with this weird, attention-seeking bollocks? Why does it have to find its way onto a forum about, of all things, mechanical keyboards? This level of maturity is probably better suited to Reddit.

Not sure if it's a commonly used phrase outside of Australia, but what a drama queen.

Offline typo

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 11:17:19 »
The entire problem with this thread is people should have refrained from replying at the juncture where I stated that "I am happy with the machine". It really did not need to continue beyond that. So anything beyond that is absolutely not of my doing and I hold no responsibility for such. I know very well what a Drama Queen is and I do not see how that moniker would be befitting of myself given the contents of this thread? Please elaborate for me? Amuse me, why don't you. You can play the role of the court jester. That shall be the title of which I bequest you.

Offline walie

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:24:04 »
Considering the OPs entire body of work, the Drama Queen title does seem appropriate
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:25:45 by walie »

Offline typo

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 23:13:28 »
Walie, for once I actually agree with you! As I think I mentioned the content of this thread is not entirely my fault. Others did in fact participate.

Offline typo

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 04:40:59 »
Well, I had the permanent screws in holding on the side panel. One, the head stripped. No big deal I got it off. I could have put the included thumb screws. However, it is not being transported anywhere. No LAN parties ETC.  So I am not further securing the side panel at all. The click in place tabs are plenty in my case(no pun intended).  It is actually a decent case. I guess you would expect that on the brands "best" computer". Also, I ate my words. What the heck. I did decide to max overclock it as high as I could without raising any voltages. That is where I draw the line. OC without voltage is just free speed IMO. At worst, data corruption but I am using RAID externally. So only really gain, no loss. Increase voltage is where one gambles of course. I know I said no OC but I draw the line at voltage. Many people do so but I simply will not. So anyways, with the increase it is crazy fast. I OC'd the CPU, Memory, and GPU with it's Memory. I used the bios on the CPU and I hard flashed the video card once i had it stable. I do not like OC with software. No one needs to reply to this. I just figured I would add a last update. I am not going to report back the history of this machine. People obviously do this for fun so please lighten up everyone.