Author Topic: Star Wars thread  (Read 11003 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Star Wars thread
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 08:39:10 »
In the expanded universe, which most is now considered non-canon [...]

I didn't realize until yesterday that the expanded universe was even considered canon...  :-[  In my mind I'd always written them off since it wasn't George Lucas that wrote them; and to be honest, calling it "Expanded Universe" kind of implies that it's something 'beyond' the original story arc.

It's not. "Canon" is, always and forever, only that which is included in the films. The only time canon can change is through the addition of new films, or, by revisionist editing, through new releases of the original films.

In my googling, I read an "official" statement that Disney had de-canonized the books.  Was their initial canonization a sham?  If it were up to me, I'd agree with exactly what you wrote, but I don't think I get to pick the rules here so I'm not sure how it works.  :P

Disney, being Disney, seems to have tried to co-opt the definition of what is canon. But I think most sane people would still hold to my original definition.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, while the Expanded Universe is no longer considered canon[1] and was re-termed as the "Legends" brand. Most Star Wars material released after April 25, 2014—with some exceptions—is composed in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, making it part of the "new canon."

I should have thought to check the wiki, that explains things pretty nicely.  :thumb:

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 14:28:35 »
Kinda bumping an older thread, but episode 8 has been delayed  :'(
Yoda grammar best has

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 14:31:01 »
Kinda bumping an older thread, but episode 8 has been delayed  :'(

Meh. I actually liked having Star Wars closer to the holidays. It was something else to look forward to what with all the festivities, and I could talk about it with family during the vacation.
Plus, I hope this extra time allows for some more polishing.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 12:48:05 »
I celebrated the holiday by renting Force Awakens. I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan at all so I didn't expect much. Nor do I feel like I had the ability to over-analyze it.

**** was good. I laughed, I cried. 1-3 were total **** and I'd never watch them again. TFA is rewatchable about once a year.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.