Author Topic: Another 3D Keyboard Model Thread  (Read 69111 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: keyboard render fu
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 09:16:31 »
Hehe, cycles is a must. Fireflies be damned. I have 196 objects in the basic scene (698,000 polygons or 1.3m triangles or 335m) and that is just the keyboard without the desk or surrounding room. I actually messed around with NURBS paths a bit when I was trying to figure out how to model a somewhat realistic USB cord. I'm not ready for animations. Holy moly :confused:

I'm not really sure what that is (a helmet maybe?) but I'm sure it'll be something cool with a bit of paint or whatever you might do to it after it's printed. From what I understand sculpting mode in Blender is chock full of features. It might not be as feature rich as Zbrush but one doesn't pay $600 for Blender. Below is possibly the last render to use an unmodified font. Inkscape + Font Forge = <3

So I was a bit selfish and did a render just for me. New Color Management plugin, lighting system, and lens. The colorway is inspired by PF Flyer's Sandlot shoe.

164079-0

162415-1

(1600x900 oi) screenshot while I was rendering the above image.

Oh, I thought I should mention this to anyone reading. Screen tearing is a feature that needs to be disabled in some Linux environments. Sometimes editing xorg.conf with the following does the trick for AMD and Intel: (Example and example would theoretically be whatever your Id and Drivers are)

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Example"
   Driver      "example"
   Option      "AccelMethod" "sna"
   Option      "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

The two options are what I add in. I'm not responsible for broken display servers lol but AFAIK this is about as close as you get to an automagical fix for display tearing with xorg. My way isn't the best and certainly not the only way but it does alleviate my screen tearing with Manjaro 17, and Pupplylinux Tahr. Linux Mint 18 was fine out of the box iirc.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 15:46:01 by csmertx »

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 09:54:35 »
Somewhere on the blender forums is a whole thread on optimizing xorg.conf and GPU settings for best results. I don't know if that ever made it into the wiki or not. I apologies as I don't have a link handy.

My render is the head of a Valkyrie from Macross. It's the VF-1S variant. It's one of my favorite anime series of all time. I worked on the gun barrel some last night and I have it about where I want it and I think I have the material just about right to look like a power coated metal barrel.

https://goo.gl/photos/QxdwDJUytZ71yZxR7

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 10:14:24 »
Intriguing. So the guns are supposed to spin on an axis. The Blender forums are full of information and there are a lot of people that know what you're up to but there's not a lot of information regarding keyboard rendering. This is why I created a keyboard rendering thread. Optimizing Linux for Blender is something I do; maybe I'm sharing too much?

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 11:30:33 »
Intriguing. So the guns are supposed to spin on an axis. The Blender forums are full of information and there are a lot of people that know what you're up to but there's not a lot of information regarding keyboard rendering. This is why I created a keyboard rendering thread. Optimizing Linux for Blender is something I do; maybe I'm sharing too much?

You can never share too much.  I am curious, did you use the key models from github (https://github.com/getclacking/SA-profile-keys-3D-models) or make them from scratch. Also are your letterings textures or text objects?

It may also be helpful for others if you post your material node configurations. For many people materials are the hardest thing to get right after lighting.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 11:59:42 »

You can never share too much.  I am curious, did you use the key models from github (https://github.com/getclacking/SA-profile-keys-3D-models) or make them from scratch. Also are your letterings textures or text objects?

It may also be helpful for others if you post your material node configurations. For many people materials are the hardest thing to get right after lighting.

Nope. My SA keycap meshes are from the past year of trial and error. If people want materials they can d/l their own or watch some tutorials on youtube. I'm pretty sure people have written books about CG texturing and lord knows I don't need to add to that pile of information. The legends and icons are SVG files that I convert into meshes :)

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 00:21:32 »

Nope. My SA keycap meshes are from the past year of trial and error. If people want materials they can d/l their own or watch some tutorials on youtube. I'm pretty sure people have written books about CG texturing and lord knows I don't need to add to that pile of information. The legends and icons are SVG files that I convert into meshes :)

I am curious why you are importing the letters as SVG. The icons make perfect sense. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the way you are doing it, Im just wondering if I'm going about it wrong as I would use a text object and extrude that and embed in the key. What are the benefits if any to importing the SVG? Right now your stuff looks far better than mine so I'm real curious about all your processes and trains of thought. I know there are probably a dozen ways to do it so I want to learn the pros and cons of each method.

You are right about the textures. Im thinking about picking up this ebookL  https://store.blender.org/product/cycles-encyclopedia/   It's a bit pricy for an e-book but if I understand correct you get unlimited updates as Cycles grows and evolves.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 11:09:08 »
Sometimes I use subdivide and when you combine subdivide and extrusion/boolean well.. when Esc looks like a fountain of crystals you know something ain't right :)). That ebook looks legit. Also: https://www.poliigon.com.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 11:29:21 »
Sometimes I use subdivide and when you combine subdivide and extrusion/boolean well.. when Esc looks like a fountain of crystals you know something ain't right :)). That ebook looks legit. Also: https://www.poliigon.com.

If the ESC looks like a fountain of crystals, we just call it an artisan. The Mech head I've been working on is doing that. I made a few mistakes and they just get worse as you keep working. The visor and gun barrels are ok but I have to redo the head. The biggest no-no I made was using inset. You almost always end up with triangles instead of squares when you use it. Lesson learned, no shortcuts use subdivide and do the work manually. I think I will try my hand are rendering a keyboard this weekend. I'll probably use the keys from the above github as I just want to play with some color combinations and textures. Now I just need system with 20 GTX 1080Ti cards and 8 processors and 256G ram so I can render in near real time.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 11:40:39 »

If the ESC looks like a fountain of crystals, we just call it an artisan. The Mech head I've been working on is doing that. I made a few mistakes and they just get worse as you keep working. The visor and gun barrels are ok but I have to redo the head. The biggest no-no I made was using inset. You almost always end up with triangles instead of squares when you use it. Lesson learned, no shortcuts use subdivide and do the work manually. I think I will try my hand are rendering a keyboard this weekend. I'll probably use the keys from the above github as I just want to play with some color combinations and textures. Now I just need system with 20 GTX 1080Ti cards and 8 processors and 256G ram so I can render in near real time.

Lol. A couple E5-2699 V4 chips and a couple Tesla K80s should work ;)

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 14:02:24 »

My understanding is the GTX1080Ti is faster than the K80 due to new architecture. The Tesla line is due for an overhaul and complete update.

Imagine rendering on this:  https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/4028/SYS-4028GR-TRT2.cfm
Stuffed with two E5-2687W 2.7Ghz, 3TB DDR4 ram, 11x GTX1080Ti

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 16:28:14 »

My understanding is the GTX1080Ti is faster than the K80 due to new architecture. The Tesla line is due for an overhaul and complete update.

Imagine rendering on this:  https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/4028/SYS-4028GR-TRT2.cfm
Stuffed with two E5-2687W 2.7Ghz, 3TB DDR4 ram, 11x GTX1080Ti

Sure buy 11 1080 ti's. Because there are plenty of consumer chassis that can fit 11 GPUs. Heck. All Xeons have over 44 pcie lanes right? It would allow me to edit an entire MMORPG continent in real-time but that's not nearly enough juice for my use case. 3840 Cuda and 24GB frame buffer w/384-bit I/O... pfft that's for the plebs.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 18:12:03 »
If we are going to dream we need to dream big right?

I'll post any keyboard renderings I do this weekend. I have some ideas but I'm in no position to do a group buy so I'll just show them off.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 18:25:13 »
I don't dream anyone. Ok, but this time post keyboard renders.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:12:08 »
Lighting is not quite right, and I need to work on the textures some. But here is what I've come up with, took longer than I expected I had to remake the key more times than I can count till I got it to look ok, but it's not great.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 23:34:38 »
Lighting is not quite right, and I need to work on the textures some. But here is what I've come up with, took longer than I expected I had to remake the key more times than I can count till I got it to look ok, but it's not great.

Show Image

Hey, not bad! Sure has a slew of indicator LEDs holy moly

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 16:11:31 »

Hey, not bad! Sure has a slew of indicator LEDs holy moly (Attachment Link)

Yea to indicate which layer, but probably end up using a segmented LED when I get around to designing the electronics as it makes more sense and will look better. I'm going to work on that floor texture, it's a sample from poliigon and it should look better than that even though it's one of the lower end ones you can dl with the trail period. The scale on the case texture is far too small to so I need to fix that. I'll also adjust the lighting and rerender it tonight in hopes that it looks a bit more realistic. I have it sitting on the floor plane but it still looks like it's floating to me.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 19:47:28 »
This is looking much better. I'm using FilmicLog Colorspace which helps get the lighting looking more realistic.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 20:02:01 »
This is looking much better. I'm using FilmicLog Colorspace which helps get the lighting looking more realistic.

Show Image

Nice cord! Is there suppose to be a crease on the top of the keycaps?

edit - added image/illustration

163776-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 March 2017, 20:08:15 by csmertx »

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 08:33:30 »
Supposed to be? no, but I haven't redone the caps. It happened because of mirror modifyer. You notice something similar on the longer keys that I just stretched. I'll get around to fixing it but I just haven't yet.

The cord is probably the easiest thing to do on the whole keyboard next to the LEDs.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 13:31:28 »
Supposed to be? no, but I haven't redone the caps. It happened because of mirror modifyer. You notice something similar on the longer keys that I just stretched. I'll get around to fixing it but I just haven't yet.

The cord is probably the easiest thing to do on the whole keyboard next to the LEDs.

I'm the worst at critiquing but you already know this. For my cord I did some rigging and never really understood what I was doing. One of these days I'll revisit the scene I have with cords and stuffs.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 01:40:39 »

I'm the worst at critiquing but you already know this. For my cord I did some rigging and never really understood what I was doing. One of these days I'll revisit the scene I have with cords and stuffs.

This is what I did. I made a cylinder and stretched it to an appropriate length, then made 500(the max at a time) loop cuts. Then make a bezier curve and extrude it several times to get more nodes on the curve.  Add a curve modifier to the cylinder and bind it to the curve. I've not gone as far as binding the curve to bone stack for physics as I haven't worked with any of that yet.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 07:34:05 »

This is what I did. I made a cylinder and stretched it to an appropriate length, then made 500(the max at a time) loop cuts. Then make a bezier curve and extrude it several times to get more nodes on the curve.  Add a curve modifier to the cylinder and bind it to the curve. I've not gone as far as binding the curve to bone stack for physics as I haven't worked with any of that yet.

Ohhh, I think I see what you did. I started with a modifed curves galore shape, bound it to my curves profile, and added a 'skeleton' to the cord (NURB path in blender speak); it sucked. But once you have a NURB path you can tweak a flexible part endlessly (or until stackoverflow :)) ). Recreating the same curves profile over and over again would have been a beast to do imo.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 10:30:10 »
So I did some experimenting. A lot of this you will probably know but I'll explain what I know and understand as I go for anyone else that reads this.

So the idea is to have a cord or cable that bends and moves with real world physics. You could manually adjust the curves for every frame but that gets tedious so we'll sue bone armatures.

Start with a simple bezier curve with two control points(I find it easiest to work in Ortho top down for this). You can subdivide or extrude to get more points, but for simplicity sake we will use only two.

Enter edit mode select one control point(not a handle) and align it [(v) Aligned]. Do that for both control points so that you curve is a straight line.

Select the first control point and put the 3D cursor to that point[ Shift-S, cursor to selected exit edit and add a bone, rotate the bone so it's on the curve.

Select the curve and do the enter edit mode and do the same thing for the second control point.

In edit mode on the curve select your first control point only, then in the outliner find the bone that is aligned with that control point right click and select SELECT (do not left click as that deselects the control point), now [CTRL-H and Hook to Selected Bone]. Repeat for the second control point.

Now you can add you Cylinder and align it to the curve. Edit the cylinder and add a large number of loop cuts (CRTL-R) and add a curve modifier to the cylinder and you have have a cord that can be controlled by physics.

Hopefully that makes sense. If I get time I will make a video.

In theory you should now be able to tie the anchor bone to a point on the keyboard and as you more the keyboard the cable will move and bend according to your physics model you set up and wont go through the table/floor surface and can collide with other objects that affect the way it bends.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:45:10 »
Sigh. I see a project happening once that stupid thermal paste hits my doorstep. I think I finally recovered from the update that wiped out my color management profile. I guess one downside to using Filmic is that you have to reinstall with every update. Lord knows I want the 2.8 update with all the extra man hours that went into it but I'll be ready this time to reinstall Filmic (maybe they'll include Filmic :squeal:). A few days ago I spent an hour organizing and adding folders for templates for different keysets and different keyboard cases. Probably different studio-like sets as well. I briefly tinkered in Blender to help me visual woodworking projects so hopefully what I learned from that will bleed over to set design. I'll continue to adjust lighting and exposure, so far I don't feel like I should burn my renders with fire but I know that there is tons of room for improvement.

164077-0

Another Sandlot render; this time in full HD.

March 26, 2017

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 18:05:17 »
Is there a way you could take all that and make your own personal github with the folder layouts and everything so you just have to dl it into the directory? I cant imagine much of that will change for a while now. Just as long as you don't overwrite the actual Blender files that is.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 19:01:08 »
Is there a way you could take all that and make your own personal github with the folder layouts and everything so you just have to dl it into the directory? I cant imagine much of that will change for a while now. Just as long as you don't overwrite the actual Blender files that is.

I'll do that for IRL stuffs once I have some keyboard case designs configured. Those STLs will be available along with two IRL python/3D projects I have in mind. FTM everything I do in Manjaro or Windows is saved to an NTFS partition that will survive any OS meltdowns. I also use Google's cloud for Chrome so all my Linux/Blender/Fusion/references stuffs are at the ready. Lords know I've nuked quite a few OSs so far. I'll save Github from my 15+ GB/GiB's of Blender fails :)) Plus it would be easier to have one public directory instead of one public and one private.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 18:45:16 »
Here is a sampling of that custom Gorton Modified-like font and CAD modeled SA keycap. Rendered in Blender. Square for instagram ^-^

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Rendr Fu
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 09:56:28 »
166509-0

For Pwner's C65 65% keyboard case design. I flippin' Love that case :eek:

First try with the custom gorton modified-like font and cad modeled keycaps

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 16:58:32 »
Becoming a bit more comfortable with 3D CAD modeling. Still using Blender for the scene and lighting. All critiques or comments are most welcome. I like feedback  :)

Ergodo x Render for the [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set.

167267-0

Planck render for the [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set.

167269-1

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 16:16:11 »
Whoa, Vivaldi is showing a 20mb page load. Dayum, I need to compress some images this week! Yesterday I sketched out a raspberry pi enclosure w/wall mount to practice a bit more with Fusion 360. Not exactly a keyboard base or keyset mock up, and I used Fusion's internal render engine but it's progress.

The enclosure is supposed to twist onto the wall mount (under desk mount?) after the mount is screwed into place. In the spirit of showing my mistakes, I left the first renders as is without any modification to the enclosure.

[Snipped Attachments - I'll save that for Instagram]
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 15:48:11 by csmertx »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 15:57:58 »
Nothing to show atm but I did finish a tenkey STL, and an updated TKL STL for SA and DSA. I made some DSA Cap STLs recently, hooray. Hoping to post a few image by the weekend. Next up: Cherry :confused:

edit - I lied. I have a few things to show I guess.

New DSA STLs by csmertx, on Flickr

Quick TKL Render Front by csmertx, on Flickr

Quick TKL Render Side by csmertx, on Flickr

Quick Tenkey Render Home View by csmertx, on Flickr

Quick Tenkey Render Side by csmertx, on Flickr

Edit again - dang. The TKL plate is trying to slide out of the casing. I model these things in pieces so all is well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 18:57:02 by csmertx »

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 05:17:17 »
Looking good homie!  :thumb:
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 07:51:40 »
Looking good homie!  :thumb:

Thanks, man :)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 21:21:03 »
Sorry to bump again. I just couldn't let that TKL mistake slide so here's a quick and dirty turntable render/video type thing

Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Another 3D Keyboard Model Thread
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 12:34:45 »
OP image size reduced (80%-ish) and images are organized in grid fashion. If you have any suggestions of what I should model next I'm totally down for a challenge. HDRIs are next on the list

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 14:01:30 »
Last post for a while. Currently working on DSA caps with texture  :-X

170200-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 21:53:46 »
Does it take much longer to render with texture, compared to without?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 22:05:43 »
Does it take much longer to render with texture, compared to without?

It might take a while to render out massive scenes with lots of textures but for what I do I see no difference in render time. Finding the right image sometimes takes a while though.

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 10:00:58 »
Some of these I can't even tell if they are real or not, awesome work!

I really need to pick apart a template as I can't start from scratch, way too much work and i'd get frustrated :P

Know of any places that have keyboards readily modelled?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 11:14:34 »
Some of these I can't even tell if they are real or not, awesome work!

I really need to pick apart a template as I can't start from scratch, way too much work and i'd get frustrated :P

Know of any places that have keyboards readily modelled?

Thank you. You could probably find some stuff on Thingiverse. I'm pretty sure that's where I picked up the switch and Cherry Stabilizer models. The first time I rendered keyboard stuff was with a full sized DSA cap keyboard by mastercheeseface from r/mk. Even that requires knowledge of lighting a scene in Blender. Haven't found Costar stabilizers yet so I guess that'll have to be modeled.

edit - Some of the earlier renders in the OP don't have switches, stabilizers or plates. But the shadows and reflections give that away when I zoomed in with Blender's camera, so I changed my process a bit to accommodate those necessities.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 June 2017, 12:29:50 by csmertx »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 13:00:23 »
Updated the OP and to do list. Basically removed all mention of free stuff. After reading an extensive conversation on IRC about GNU/GPL licensing (headache) I decided to forego any GitHub uploads. If you're watching this thread because you're waiting for a GitHub link filled with STLs, now might be a good time to unwatch this thread. 

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 19:49:35 »
If you're watching this thread because you're waiting for a GitHub link filled with STLs, now might be a good time to unwatch this thread.

Csmertx crushing people's hopes and dreams.  :))
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 20:00:38 »
If you're watching this thread because you're waiting for a GitHub link filled with STLs, now might be a good time to unwatch this thread.

Csmertx crushing people's hopes and dreams.  :))

Reading about GNU/GPL crushes my brain tho :-[

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 10:44:50 »
https://pro.radeon.com/en-us/radeon-prorender-for-blender-and-solidworks-now-available/

I couldn't keep this to myself. Holyyy, VEGA is about to disrupt :-*

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 18:34:21 »
I wanted to take a moment to apologize to matt3o regarding the Classis 65 render I did for Pwner.

Had I known ahead of time that the badge was so similar to the SA Retro banner I would never have rendered the image of the Classic 65 case. I guess I'll avoid rendering out cases for people in the foreseeable future. I was drawn into the likeness of that old Commodore PCII or PCII my folks bought when I was itty bitty. I'm sorry matt3o :(

On a more positive note, totally forgot to mention the reason I posted the DSA cap. Finally figured out how to double shot the legends for my renders. The fact that it had a bit a texture was just icing on the German chocolate cake. The anchor was thrown on because it was around my father's birthday (was a navy dude).

That DSA render will be my last image post for a bit while I save funds to update my gear. The way I see it rendering with older equipment kind of takes the fun out of the process.

edit - Turns out matt3o is fine with the badge design. Phew
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 August 2017, 14:34:56 by csmertx »

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 21:44:07 »
nice work。

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 21:51:19 »
nice work。

Aw thanks. That ideograph fits my constant icon creativity block :))

Offline Eugene94

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 18:32:22 »
I had this idea recently. Basically to combine two trackball mice to the sides of the bottom half of the HHKB Pro. 2.

176016-0

And it would look something like this.

176018-1

There would be two spheres cupped on both sides with a LMB positioned on the right side of the keyboard, similar to that of an Xbox controller.

176020-2

And on the other side would be the RMB positioned on the side in the same way.

176022-3

I like to keep the keyboard on my lap while typing, but every once in a while have to reach up to access the mouse. With this modification, that would not be a problem!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 21:01:36 »
I had this idea recently. Basically to combine two trackball mice to the sides of the bottom half of the HHKB Pro. 2.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

There would be two spheres cupped on both sides with a LMB positioned on the right side of the keyboard, similar to that of an Xbox controller.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I like to keep the keyboard on my lap while typing, but every once in a while have to reach up to access the mouse. With this modification, that would not be a problem!

Sorry, I think you wandered into the wrong thread. Maybe you're looking for this one? Does Your Ideal Mouse Exist?

I know the amount of information one can find via Geekhack is absolutely overwhelming so I can totally understand the confusion. Welcome to Geekhack! Hope you find what you need :)

Offline Eugene94

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 14:19:36 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Sorry, I think you wandered into the wrong thread. Maybe you're looking for this one? Does Your Ideal Mouse Exist?

I know the amount of information one can find via Geekhack is absolutely overwhelming so I can totally understand the confusion. Welcome to Geekhack! Hope you find what you need :)

Thank you. I just wanted this idea to become a 3D model and thought you might want a challenge.