geekhack Community > Input Devices

How often do you expect to have to replace your mouse/trackball?

(1/5) > >>

Stupidface:

How often do you expect to have to replace the mouse/trackball on your desk? 

And: do you tend to purchase the same make and model of device (i.e. are you reluctant to change once you find something you like)?

or

Do you look forward to replacing your current mouse/trackball because doing so will give you an excuse to purchase and try out the latest models?

Leslieann:
Every 12-16 months because of the switches.
If I'm lucky I can swap them once or twice before some other problem pops up.

Mice myths for those doing constant upgrades...
"The lightest mouse!", a few grams isn't going to make you a better gamer, consistency/experience will, make your tracking the same regardless of game or mouse for best results.
While wireless lag hasn't been an issue for years on good mice such as Logitech most wireless systems other than Logitech have other issues.
Don't ever fall for a manufacturer telling you the double clicking is dirt in the switches, the switches are sealed and not something you could clean even if you wanted to. Double clicking mouse buttons are an internal spring problem and if under warranty should be covered.
High dpi gaming... high dpi is not high, manufacturers held back dpi by not keeping up with display resolutions so younger generations don't know what they're missing and it's destroying your wrist. Learn to game at higher dpi actually increases your response time and reduces R.S.I., weight also maters less.  You can also crank DPI and lower system sensitivity giving you per pixel precision instead of the default where it skips 3 pixels and still retain normal feel, yes, your system skips 3 pixels by default. This too increases gaming ability but will need higher polling to track properly.
The polling race,  500 is plenty for most gamers, your usb rarely goes over 1000.

Findecanor:
The Omron microswitches in my mouse will have had twenty years of continuous use next year.

I should buy up a NOS Logitech mice from the late '90s the next time I see any for sale. A couple of them might last me for the rest of my life.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Wed, 29 December 2021, 10:16:30 ---The Omron microswitches in my mouse will have had twenty years of continuous use next year.

--- End quote ---
Older switch, older voltages.

Put those old switches in a new mouse and they will fail almost immediately.

Findecanor:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Wed, 29 December 2021, 14:49:20 ---
--- Quote from: Findecanor on Wed, 29 December 2021, 10:16:30 ---The Omron microswitches in my mouse will have had twenty years of continuous use next year.

--- End quote ---
Older switch, older voltages.

Put those old switches in a new mouse and they will fail almost immediately.

--- End quote ---
Interesting theory... but it did not strike me though.

I measured 3.37V with a multimeter in the "new" mouse.
I have a spare old PS/2 Logitech PilotMouse (same model as the 2002 mouse), that I connected with a converter and measured 5.00V. (It has a SGI Granite shell, so I'll keep it and not scavenge the switches from it)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version