Author Topic: Rodney Reynolds don't know much about mech KBs.  (Read 4472 times)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Rodney Reynolds don't know much about mech KBs.
« on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 20:44:00 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 14:24:56 by alaricljs »
SmallFry! <3

Offline ra7c7er

Re: GASP!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:34:25 »
WOW really???!!!

Offline ficklampa

• My photography portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 02:35:08 »
Wow... my thoughts of Rodney just got very low.

Funny how he wants a keyboard that has good quality control and lasts long in this video:
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 October 2012, 02:38:13 by ficklampa »
Filco TKL (mx browns) + Ducky PBT caps
Poker II (mx blues)
Keycool 22 key numpad (blue Kailh)

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 03:44:06 »
Well, a more descriptive topic title would be nice (*hello mods*). Some things the guy in the video (whom I've never heard of) says seem to be inconsistent, illogical or uninformed but ...this: https://xkcd.com/386/
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 14:19:15 »
Well, a more descriptive topic title would be nice (*hello mods*). Some things the guy in the video (whom I've never heard of) says seem to be inconsistent, illogical or uninformed but ...this: https://xkcd.com/386/
Yes looks like this guy needs to do a little more research or something....

and are you talking about my topic title? Ill look into changing it if possible.

edit: Thank you for whoever change the title! :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 14:36:03 by TheQsanity »
SmallFry! <3

Offline Broadmonkey

Re: Rodney Reynolds don't know much about mech KBs.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 01:48:37 »
To be honest this is no surprise. Rodney Reynolds has always been kind of dumb. He always sounds like he don't know what to say and hasn't done much research.
I think he is just lucky to get a lot of products for review because he finishes them in like a day, and never rates products under "KICKASS". Also he is kinda biased (which is pretty obvious in the link Icarium posts)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 02:33:55 »
To be honest this is no surprise. Rodney Reynolds has always been kind of dumb. He always sounds like he don't know what to say and hasn't done much research.
I think he is just lucky to get a lot of products for review because he finishes them in like a day, and never rates products under "KICKASS". Also he is kinda biased (which is pretty obvious in the link Icarium posts)

This may be his life...(what a no-lifeer)! He's got so many videos and I barely ever come across them... People probably figured it out that he's not a reliable sourceignant' :-X.

But he probably has a lot of sponsors or is just really committed.

Watching him talk about tech is kinda reminds me of my dad.
Yeah, I am just a little jelly that he is YouTube-famous and knows nothing of what he is talking about
SmallFry! <3

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 04:03:14 »
Bless.  After spending that much money, I _do_ want my keyboards to last 20-30 years...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline hotlikedimes

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 10:17:41 »
Bless.  After spending that much money, I _do_ want my keyboards to last 20-30 years...

I agree as well!!!

I do get what he's saying, that you don't need a mechanical keyboard, they are expensive, and for most people who don't really use a computer for most of the day (I'm sure 90% of mechanical keyboard owners spend more than 4 hours a day at a computer using a keyboard) it wouldn't be a worth while expense, but it really does improve typing quality, and I almost wonder if he's ever used a mechanical keyboard since the Model M's...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 11:23:56 »
i dont get it, what was so wrong with anything that he said?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 14:26:37 »
\/ \/

Funny how he wants a keyboard that has good quality control and lasts long in this video:
SmallFry! <3

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 14:38:54 »
\/ \/

so what was wrong with the video you posted, was another video?

I don't get it... he is right, most people don't actually need a mechanical keyboards... they are for the most part luxury items...

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 18:47:20 »
If he is right in this video he is wrong in the other. If he is wrong in this video he is right in the other.
SmallFry! <3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 22:09:49 »
Not really luxury items, unless you go for one of the more exotic ones.

I have gone through so many rubber dome keyboards - they just feel mushier and mushier, it gets harder to push certain keys requiring a different amount of force across the keyboard, and this leads to unergonomic typing practices.

A mechanical keyboard should last considerably longer than a rubber dome keyboard.  The switches are rated for 50,000,000 key strokes each, and the keycaps are easily replaced.

I also use mostly MX blues, and the tactile feedback take me back to when I learned to type on electric typewriters and older computers, and my typing does seem to have improved since I switched from robber dome.

So although notably more expensive than rubber domes, I would not consider them luxury items.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 01:49:47 »
Lmao, so wait.. Your trying to suggest that a £100+ Keyboard isn't a luxury item? Ahaha hahahaha

I'm not sure what planet your from, but on earth most people consider a £15 bundled keyboard and mouse to be more than good enough for surfing the web and doing some word processing... Lmao

Though on the same argument I could try and suggest that I NEED to keep my 3.2ltr Audi and that it's poor fuel economy isn't as important as how good it is to drive and how comftable it is... Lmao

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 07:46:51 »
Considering the package price of PCs has dropped from ~$5k to $600 and less, another $100 for a KB is a considerable percentage of the price.  On the other hand it's still a reasonable package price.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 08:07:56 »
Lack of knowledge on Mech KB's is really bad...Someone refer him to GH
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 10:15:12 »
Before we all go on the internet and start concidering what is a necessity for another person we should know that we app are not the same person and have different prioritys and budgets.

I might consider going out to eat a luxury but I may do it anyways.
I might consider going out to the bar a luxury but i maydo it anyways.
I might concider buying new underwear a luxury but I may do it anyways.
I might concider a cellphone(smartphone) a luxury but I have one anyways.
I may not need to buy a new cellphone but I buy one anyways.
I may not need (insert noun here) but I _____ anyways.

Lets not assume the needs or desires of another person unless you are a nun or a monk.

On a more personal note. I really dont mind a rubber dome keyboard now that I hav a  mechanical keyboard but before I had a mechanical I couldnt stand my rubber dome. I don't mind rubber domes but it is a fact that I do type faster on a mechanical keyboard.

You can may whatever assumption that you want but matters at the end of the day is what I think.

Lets have some netiquette here.
SmallFry! <3

Offline nokcha

• * Vendor
  • www.Keypop.net [키팝.net]
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 10:42:49 »
Lmao, so wait.. Your trying to suggest that a £100+ Keyboard isn't a luxury item? Ahaha hahahaha

I'm not sure what planet your from, but on earth most people consider a £15 bundled keyboard and mouse to be more than good enough for surfing the web and doing some word processing... Lmao

Though on the same argument I could try and suggest that I NEED to keep my 3.2ltr Audi and that it's poor fuel economy isn't as important as how good it is to drive and how comftable it is... Lmao

I believe what rowdy is trying to state is that the life expectancy and overall superior quality of the average mechanical keyboard makes it a reasonable purchase.
Usually if an item is luxurious it implies that the item is excessively expensive with little to no difference in quality compared to its cheaper counterpart.
A mechanical keyboard exceeds the rubber dome keyboard in almost every aspect except sound.
A rubber dome keyboard's life expectancy is "5~10 million keystrokes"(quoted from WASDKeyboards) whereas the mechanical keyboard has a life expectancy of 50 million keystrokes. That's approximately 10 times larger.

Hypothetically you'd go through 10 rubber dome keyboards at $15 each and end up paying the same amount you would have paid for a mechanical keyboard(maybe less depending on which mechanical keyboard)

I do agree that most people are fine with a rubber dome keyboard but I don't agree that most mechanical keyboards are a luxury item(Unless you're going for the boutique brand keyboards like HHKB/Realforce). I see it as more of an investment. You're basically paying more for better parts, strong reliability, drastically improved typing responses, and durability. I'm sure more people would be interested in mechanical keyboards if it received more media coverage. I think the reason why most people are content with their rubber dome keyboards is simply from the lack of awareness that a much higher quality & longer-lasting keyboard exists.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 November 2012, 10:44:26 by nokcha »

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 10:44:47 »
I read the title as Ryan Reynolds....oops