Author Topic: Soarer's WYSE Converter firmware  (Read 107143 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Re: Soarer's WYSE Converter firmware
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 14:07:58 »
This might be the wrong place to post this, but I have a WYSE with the RJ11, and I'm only looking to convert it to PS/2. Can I do this by just hacking together an RJ11 and PS/2 cable, or do I need to do anything fancier?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Junkok

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 15:06:02 »
Hello.
Help to solve my problem with the Wyse keyboard please.
There is a Wyse keyboard - part no:840362-04 and Arduino Pro Micro
I stitched an arduino your insertion of v1.20
Now at connection of Arduino in "Device manager" there are 2 more Keyboard HID devices, soldered Arduino conclusions according to your scheme, but the keyboard doesn't work.
Prompt please in what there can be a problem.
I apply screenshots.

Cable Brown - GND
Cable Orange - VCC
Cable Blue - Data
Cable Blue-White - Clock

Before connection of Arduino:

After connection of Arduino:

Connection to the keyboard:

Connection to the Arduino:
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2015, 16:09:46 by Junkok »

Offline Junkok

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:06:41 »
Sorry. Mixed wires. Now everything works!!!
Thanks a lot)))

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 07:27:44 »
Hello,

I have a 980478-01. Will this work for it? Also, the connector on mine looks like a filco modular on. Does anyone have a link to the pinout on this one?

thanks! I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I start anything. ;D :thumb:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 20:34:16 »
Hello,

I have a 980478-01. Will this work for it? Also, the connector on mine looks like a filco modular on. Does anyone have a link to the pinout on this one?

thanks! I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I start anything. ;D :thumb:

That looks a lot like mine.  You can see my Teensy pinout on my post on page 1

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 22:51:38 »
Hello,

Is that a TO-300?
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 02:12:36 »
Hello,

it was exactly like yours! I have a lot to thank you for posting that close up picture of the pinout. I was confused on soarer's guide saying that it was mirrored. here it is all working! Thank you Soarer and everyone!! vintage blacks feel awesome!
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 March 2016, 02:14:21 by audax989 »

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 22:57:42 »
Hello,

it was exactly like yours! I have a lot to thank you for posting that close up picture of the pinout. I was confused on soarer's guide saying that it was mirrored. here it is all working! Thank you Soarer and everyone!! vintage blacks feel awesome!

Hey, were you considering using that surface mount telephone jack in the background of your pictures as a converter box? Because that's exactly what I just did, and I swear I didn't notice it in your picture until after I built this one. Saw the boxes on clearance at the home improvement store for $0.99 and had the idea.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 04:14:39 »
Hello,

Hey man sorry to get back to you so late! Actually, I really wanted to house the Teensy inside the keyboard and just run the usb cable out. But, I realized that maybe the teensy shouldn't be mounted permanently, since, I have an IBM Model M that I want to Convert, I'm thinking of making a converter box for it. Still not sure if I want to keep it that way though, I still have leandren's R4 on the way. So many keyboards, so, little time. I might just reconsider this hobby :( It's burning through my wallet.

Hey, were you considering using that surface mount telephone jack in the background of your pictures as a converter box? Because that's exactly what I just did, and I swear I didn't notice it in your picture until after I built this one. Saw the boxes on clearance at the home improvement store for $0.99 and had the idea.

Show Image

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 15:07:59 »
I revamped my telephone jack design. Here it is in case anyone is looking for inspiration.

Parts:

pro micro clone from ebay
desoldered 4p4c connector from a WYSE PCB
Short male micro USB to female mini USB cable for strain relief and quick detach option
button from old mouse for reset switch (pro micro doesn't have one like teensy does)
surface mount rj11 telephone jack
hot glue gun and glue
something to cut the plastic housing as needed (I used a small hacksaw blade, pliers, and dremel with cutoff wheel)
small wire (I used an old piece of cut up USB cable)

Had to cut some of the plastic from the inside of the phone jack housing to make things fit and used lots of hot glue to make everything stay in place. Probably could have made the wires a little shorter for better appearance but that would make everything harder to fit together. After a little modification, the 4p4c socket fit nicely where the rj11 jack was originally. I trimmed some of the rubber surround from the end of the USB adapter cable so that the female mini USB end would stick out through the hole a little bit.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 19:47:23 »
I revamped my telephone jack design. Here it is in case anyone is looking for inspiration.

Parts:

Short male micro USB to female mini USB cable for strain relief and quick detach option
button from old mouse for reset switch (pro micro doesn't have one like teensy does)
hot glue gun and glue
something to cut the plastic housing as needed (I used a small hacksaw blade, pliers, and dremel with cutoff wheel)

Had to cut some of the plastic from the inside of the phone jack housing to make things fit and used lots of hot glue to make everything stay in place. Probably could have made the wires a little shorter for better appearance but that would make everything harder to fit together. After a little modification, the 4p4c socket fit nicely where the rj11 jack was originally. I trimmed some of the rubber surround from the end of the USB adapter cable so that the female mini USB end would stick out through the hole a little bit.

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Looks good!

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:16:13 »

Parts:

hot glue gun and glue

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Weird how my last reply was in the middle of the quote. I must've been sleepy at the time. This looks great. I might just give this a try when I get the time.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 19:15:40 »
Some help here please.

I have loaded the WYSEvert v1.30 for atmega32u4 onto an Arduino Leonardo and hooked it up to what I believe is an 85, going by this post and my pcb has serial # 980062-01 also.

Here is what Hid_listen is outputting when powered up and the keys 'a', 'b' and 'c' are pressed:

Code: [Select]
WYSE...
ID: 00
Model: WY85

Keyboard ID: 0000
Code Set: 2 (extended)
Mode: AT/PS2

\4E +04 \4F +42 d04 d42
/4E -04 /4F -42 u04 u42
\5B +05 \5C +1F d05 d1F
/5B -05 /5C -1F u05 u1F
\13 +06 \14 +27 d06 d27
/13 -06 /14 -27 u06 u27

Is this normal?

27 May.
Was grappling with the reloading the firmware on, but eventually worked out the procedure and here is what Hid_listen produces:

Device disconnected.
Waiting for new device:............
Listening:
wEE

remaining: 007C

Code Set: 1
Mode: PC/XT

It is currently totally unresponsive to key presses.

NO, disregard as I have loaded it again and its back to what I originally posted: ID 00
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2016, 01:34:03 by invariance »
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline invariance

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 20:27:26 »
After leaving it for a while, I have finally got it working and the unusual keys remapped, but I cannot figure out the caps/num/scroll lock leds.  I even tried to assemble the supplied led config but it fails at the first line.

Has anyone been able to configure the leds?
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 11:50:56 »
After leaving it for a while, I have finally got it working and the unusual keys remapped, but I cannot figure out the caps/num/scroll lock leds.  I even tried to assemble the supplied led config but it fails at the first line.

Has anyone been able to configure the leds?

How did you wire your Teensy or Pro Micro?  I don't have any experience with the Wyse Soarer's converter, but I managed to get LED functionality for a Pro Micro Soarer's for PS2/XT/AT.  I looked the Wyse LED .sc file, and the wiring is the same for Soarer's PS2/XT/AT. 

Here's what worked for me, and may work for you.  I hooked up only the numlock LED, as I don't use scroll lock or capslock.  I used a Pro Micro.  For numlock, I used the A1 pin (corresponds to PF6).  If you are using a Teensy, it should be the F6 pin.  I used a prewired LED harness that I bought from eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCs-3mm-Pre-wired-200mm-LED-Light-Lamp-Bulb-12V-Plastic-Bezel-Holder-8-Colors-/371742145681?var=&hash=item568d8efc91:m:m1IxS-6pOCgnzuqIC3ncqjg.  There was already an inline resistor in this harness.  I soldered the red wire (which leads to the anode) to the A1 pin and the black wire (cathode end) to one of the ground pins.  If you don't use the harness, then the wiring should be A1 - resistor - LED anode - LED cathode - ground pin.  The capslock and scroll lock LED should be the same with the corresponding microcontroller pin.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline invariance

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 22:09:49 »
Just to be different, I am using an Arduino Leonardo which has the Atmega32u4 µController.
I haven't hooked up any leds yet, just attempting to compile the config first.

I have been compiling my configuration file for key remapping using the tools in Soarer's XT/AT/PS2/Terminal Converter (as he mentions it in the OP if this thread) but when I tried to do the same with the supplied led file (wyse_leds.sc), I had no success: error at line 1: invalid command.
led caps +PF5
led num +PF6
led scroll +PF7

As I was typing this up, I thought that I should try the tools in his Keyboard Controller firmware (also mentioned) to see if it would work.  Well f'k me, it does!!
So all I need to do is wire up the leds and I am finished.  I'll do that when I get home after work.

Thanks for replying ShawnMeg, you helped me realise where I was going wrong.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 22:46:04 »
Just to be different, I am using an Arduino Leonardo which has the Atmega32u4 µController.

I have been compiling my configuration file for key remapping using the tools in Soarer's XT/AT/PS2/Terminal Converter (as he mentions it in the OP if this thread) but when I tried to do the same with the supplied led file (wyse_leds.sc), I had no success: error at line 1: invalid command.
led caps +PF5
led num +PF6
led scroll +PF7

As I was typing this up, I thought that I should try the tools in his Keyboard Controller firmware (also mentioned) to see if it would work.  Well f'k me, it does!!
So all I need to do is wire up the leds and I am finished.  I'll do that when I get home after work.

I didn't realize you hadn't wired the leds yet.  What exactly did you do to get things working? 

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline invariance

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 03:22:46 »

led caps +PF5
led num +PF6
led scroll +PF7

I didn't realize you hadn't wired the leds yet.  What exactly did you do to get things working?

No worries.
I was initially compiling the configuration file using the tools from the XT/AT... Converter just for remapping the keys.  It wasn't until I introduced the LED commands that I wasn't able to assemble the file ( using scas.exe) without it throwing up errors.  I don't know why, as the XT/AT...Converter should have the capability AFAIK.

Anyway, for me the tools in the Keyboard Controller Firmware did the trick.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 17:44:04 »

led caps +PF5
led num +PF6
led scroll +PF7

No worries.
I was initially compiling the configuration file using the tools from the XT/AT... Converter just for remapping the keys.  It wasn't until I introduced the LED commands that I wasn't able to assemble the file ( using scas.exe) without it throwing up errors.  I don't know why, as the XT/AT...Converter should have the capability AFAIK.

I'm not familiar with compiling, assembling, etc. the configuration file.  I simply create an .sc config file with a text editor, save it, and then drop and drag this file onto the scaswr.bat file.  I use Windows.  This makes things very easy to configure remapping, macros, function layers, etc.  According to the documentation, this method "... will assemble the text config and then write the resulting binary config to the converter, in a single step".

Offline invariance

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 00:56:02 »

led caps +PF5
led num +PF6
led scroll +PF7

No worries.

I'm not familiar with compiling, assembling, etc. the configuration file.  I simply create an .sc config file with a text editor, save it, and then drop and drag this file onto the scaswr.bat file.  I use Windows.  This makes things very easy to configure remapping, macros, function layers, etc.  According to the documentation, this method "... will assemble the text config and then write the resulting binary config to the converter, in a single step".

Haha, yeah, I seem to do everything the hard way: convert the .sc file to binary, then write it to the controller with scwr.
I will give scaswr a shot.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 11:34:48 »
So you have to make a layout file if you want to change the layout from default. Save it as anything (I called mine wy30.sc) and put it in the same folder as scas (not necessary, but makes it easier), the "tools" folder.

So I have the file wy30.sc in the folder c:\kb\soarer_wyse\tools\wy30.sc

Then I navigate to the tools folder and run the following:
scas wy30.sc wy30.scbNow there is wy30.scb in the folder as well.
Then I run scwr to write it to the KB firmware
scwr wy30.scbSince you are in windows, you can combine the two steps with scaswr. This saves a lot of time if you have no errors in your layout file.
scaswr wy30.scb
If you are having trouble building a layout file from nothing, you can always pull the default file from the KB and use that.

Use scrd to read the current config and write it to a file on your computer
scrd wy30.scb
use scdis to disassemble the binary config file into a text file you can read and edit

scdis wy30.scb wy30.sc
open the file in notepad and take a look. This is actually really helpful for me 'cause I lost the original file I used, and so now I don't know what the layout is. looks like I have it set up for either qwerty or dvorak. This is the disassembled file I got back.
# block length: 3
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
# configblock
# config count: 0
# end

# block length: 5
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
layerblock
# count: 1
fn1 1
end

# block length: 28
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
remapblock
layer 1
# count: 12
1 F1
2 F2
3 F3
4 F4
5 F5
6 F6
7 F7
8 F8
9 F9
0 F10
MINUS F11
EQUAL F12
end

# block length: 70
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect 1
remapblock
layer 0
# count: 33
MINUS LEFT_BRACE
EQUAL RIGHT_BRACE
Q COMMA
W PERIOD
E QUOTE
R P
T Y
Y F
U G
I C
O R
P L
LEFT_BRACE SLASH
RIGHT_BRACE EQUAL
S O
D E
F U
G I
H D
J H
K T
L N
SEMICOLON S
QUOTE MINUS
Z SEMICOLON
X Q
C J
V K
B X
N B
COMMA W
PERIOD V
SLASH Z
end

# block length: 18
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
remapblock
layer 0
# count: 7
SCROLL_LOCK SELECT_1
CAPS_LOCK LALT
LALT FN1
HOME PAGE_DOWN
PAGE_DOWN PAGE_UP
PRINTSCREEN DELETE
PAD_COMMA LGUI
end

You can use that to remap your KB, but it should work with a default layout as-is.
Thank you for this! Very helpful!

Offline xandwich

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 19:15:23 »
I've got a strange problem here with my WYSE PCE and Soarer's WYSE Converter v1.30.  This is the hid_listen output when I connect the keyboard:
WYSE...

But I've got an 840358-01 (PCE), not a WY-85!  It still happily recognizes keypresses, but the keys are mapped all wrong.  Any ideas?  Is there a way to force it to use the PCE keymap?  I don't want to have to write a config.sc where I remap all the keys, but if that's what it takes...

Offline invariance

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 18:35:11 »
That's interesting, @whiskeytango has the PCE and confirmed that it reported ID:82 and Model:WY-PCE US.
Responding to keystrokes says that data/clock are correct.
Not picking up the keyboard id; maybe reflash the µcontroller.  Recheck the cabling and connectors: sounds like it isn't picking up the id from the data stream when initialising (just guessing though).
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline xandwich

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 16:02:33 »
Well I wrote up a config remapping the keys (though this still failed to properly handle the onboard LEDs), but then I recalled seeing something about long cables needing some pullup resistors, so I made a much shorter cable from the WYSE to the Pro Micro and now the keyboard gets identified properly.  Whew!

Offline xandwich

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 23:50:24 »
I've got a new problem.  When I have certain combinations of three keys down simultaneously, the third keypress gets dropped.  Though not totally ignored!

One example: [shift] i [space].  As long as I haven't yet released either shift or I, I won't get a space character.  Now the hid_listen output is pretty odd.  Here are the keys pressed sequentially (which is no problem):
\1F +E1 dE1
/1F -E1 uE1
\1B +0C d0C
/1B -0C u0C
\27 +2C d2C
/27 -2C u2C
and here are the keys pressed sloppily (i.e. how I would normally type them)
\1F +E1 dE1
\1B +0C d0C \7B
\23 \27
/23 /27
/7B /1B -0C u0C
/1F -E1 uE1
What's this about 7B and 23?  I see the \27 for the space bar.  But there's no u2C d2C to give me an actual space character!
Here I'll mash space a bit while holding down shift-i (again, all I'll get in my output are some capital I characters)
\1F +E1 dE1
\1B +0C \7B d0C
\23 \27
/23 /27
\23 \27 /23 /27
\23 \27
/23 /27
\23 \27
/23 /27
\23 \27 /23 /27
\23 \27 /23 /27
\23 \27
/23 /27
\23 \27 /23 /27
\23 \27
/23 /27
/1F -E1 /7B uE1 /1B -0C u0C

It's very frustrating!  Can anyone else duplicate this?  Is it just a common thing that I (being a bit of a newbie) have never heard of?

Offline invariance

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 03:51:36 »
Yours might need the pullup resistor between +5V and Data also (even though you made a shorter cable).
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline xandwich

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 11:57:07 »
I just added a 1k resistor between +5v and data per the diagram, but no change in symptoms.  However reading over this thread a little more carefully I see I'm not the first to have this problem!

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 10:53:10 »
Ok, just wired one of these up and am having an issue. I programmed the teensy, and it shows up in device manager just fine. Then I soldered it to the pcb, and it still shows up in device manager, but all the lock leds are lit and it doesn't register any keypresses. I checked HID listen and it's totally silent. any help is appreciated.

Offline invariance

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 06:51:39 »
Ok, just wired one of these up and am having an issue. I programmed the teensy, and it shows up in device manager just fine. Then I soldered it to the pcb, and it still shows up in device manager, but all the lock leds are lit and it doesn't register any keypresses. I checked HID listen and it's totally silent. any help is appreciated.

Quadruple checked the wiring: Vcc/Gnd and Data/Clk?
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline gloomyeve

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 04:07:20 »
can I use it with my Arduino Nano V3.0?

Offline xandwich

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 17:09:07 »
Can't.  Nano has an atmega328, and the Wyse Converter (along with most of the aftermarket keyboard firmware here) is written for the beefier 32u4.  I used a cheap pro micro clone for mine.

Offline gloomyeve

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 02:57:52 »
Can't.  Nano has an atmega328, and the Wyse Converter (along with most of the aftermarket keyboard firmware here) is written for the beefier 32u4.  I used a cheap pro micro clone for mine.
Thanks for reply, I just got a pro micro. Flashed it with Wyse converter. Connect with my Wyse 840358-01.Hid listen show like yours:
WYSE...

But no key seem working. Can you take the picture yours pin out connector? thank you.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 16:30:42 »
Don't know if it'll help you folks having trouble but if you're using a Pro Micro, most of the Chinese ones have a problem. J1 in the corner should be bridged with solder on a 5 volt Pro Micro and usually isn't on the ones from China.

There's more info in this thread.
REΛLFORCE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 20:40:41 »
Don't know if it'll help you folks having trouble but if you're using a Pro Micro, most of the Chinese ones have a problem. J1 in the corner should be bridged with solder on a 5 volt Pro Micro and usually isn't on the ones from China.

There's more info in this thread.

I've got a couple of these coming in the post - are they all 5V?  Is there some way to tell whether the jumper should be bridged or not?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tactile

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 21:49:55 »
I've got a couple of these coming in the post - are they all 5V?  Is there some way to tell whether the jumper should be bridged or not?

They're not all 5 volt but the 5 volt version is what you should be using for a USB keyboard project. The 3.3 volt run at 8mhz and the 5 volt run at 16mhz. In the photo in the other thread you can see the rectangular metal can in the center at the end opposite the USB port. You can see the metal cover has been stamped with the frequency: 16.000. 16mhz = 5 volt Pro Micro.
REΛLFORCE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 20:50:00 »

They're not all 5 volt but the 5 volt version is what you should be using for a USB keyboard project. The 3.3 volt run at 8mhz and the 5 volt run at 16mhz. In the photo in the other thread you can see the rectangular metal can in the center at the end opposite the USB port. You can see the metal cover has been stamped with the frequency: 16.000. 16mhz = 5 volt Pro Micro.

Thanks for the tip - bookmarked so I can check when my Pro Micros arrive.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 16:11:08 »

Mine have arrived, and both have 16.000MHz on the component, and both have J1 NOT bridged.

Thanks for the info - that would have confused me no end when I try to connect them.

Offline gloomyeve

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 23:26:50 »
Hi guys, I need some help.
I used Wyse Converter with my Pro Micro. When I plug in the keyboard, non key working. Try the hid_listen and it show:

I don't know where I went wrong  :(

update: I did it. I made mistake with pin out. The right one is:
Black -> Data -> PD0
Red -> +5V -> VCC
Green -> Clock -> PD1
Yellow -> GND -> GND

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 03:48:00 by gloomyeve »

Offline jamie_s

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 15:43:56 »
Just to say thank you Soarer for this awesome firmware and set of instructions. Typing this reply on a saved-from-the-waste-pile WYSE PCE Terminal keyboard with its smooth as butter Cherry Blacks.

:thumb:
WASD V2 Novatouch TKL

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 08:15:32 »
Yes, indeed -- Thank you, Soarer, wherever you are. I am typing this on my Wyse30 using an Orihalcon/Soarer converter built into the cable. I've remapped the board to something as close to a HHKB as I could get. Now the board is quite usable for me. It would be even better (for me, at least) if I could detach the NumPad!

I am amazed at how smooth these vintage black switches are. The board also feels very solid despite its relatively light weight.

Now I need to clean up the board and repair the wonky 10x spacebar.

Offline ergya

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 13:56:24 »
Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to any DIY electronic projects, I managed to brake the Pro Micro (Chinese one) USB jack from the PCB of a friends WYSE keyboard :(. He used Soarers converter so I bought a new Pro Micro, desoldered the broke one, flashed 1.12 to the new one, soldered and all I have at the moment is the keyboard LEDs (Scroll Lock...) are on constantly, no inputs from the keyboard. On the Pro Micro the power LED is on, no other LEDs are on. I am new to anything like this so I am stuck at the moment. Took pictures, notes... before desoldering from the wiring (just you know, to make sure...), so I am pretty sure the wiring is OK, checked conductivity with a multimeter between the solder joints and the end of the cables (end=just before they connect to the PCB of the keyboard), all OK, no bridges... Executed hid_listen but nothing. These are the outputs I collected to debug, could someone be so kind to help me out with some suggestion?

flash output: https://pastebin.com/HLH7vM07
journalctl output when connecting the keyboard: https://pastebin.com/PmJkQYNt, the only "red" in the log is: hid-generic 0003:16C0:047D.0005: No inputs registered, leaving
the output of hid_listen (keyboard is still connected): https://pastebin.com/1L8vXWd9, nothing else when hitting any keys
I desoldered the pro micro controller and did the clock/data short test Soarer suggested on Deskthority, output: https://pastebin.com/DyUZwtLf

What I did not do is to "send" any config to the cotroller (like modify keyboard mapping...) but according to the step-by-step guide is not necesseraly needed.

I tried with 3 different USB cable (even with the one I used for flashing), same results, I reflashed with version 1.10, but same. What could go wrong?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #141 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 14:45:34 »
Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to any DIY electronic projects, I managed to brake the Pro Micro (Chinese one) USB jack from the PCB of a friends WYSE keyboard :(. He used Soarers converter so I bought a new Pro Micro, desoldered the broke one, flashed 1.12 to the new one, soldered and all I have at the moment is the keyboard LEDs (Scroll Lock...) are on constantly, no inputs from the keyboard. On the Pro Micro the power LED is on, no other LEDs are on. I am new to anything like this so I am stuck at the moment. Took pictures, notes... before desoldering from the wiring (just you know, to make sure...), so I am pretty sure the wiring is OK, checked conductivity with a multimeter between the solder joints and the end of the cables (end=just before they connect to the PCB of the keyboard), all OK, no bridges... Executed hid_listen but nothing. These are the outputs I collected to debug, could someone be so kind to help me out with some suggestion?

flash output: https://pastebin.com/HLH7vM07
journalctl output when connecting the keyboard: https://pastebin.com/PmJkQYNt, the only "red" in the log is: hid-generic 0003:16C0:047D.0005: No inputs registered, leaving
the output of hid_listen (keyboard is still connected): https://pastebin.com/1L8vXWd9, nothing else when hitting any keys
I desoldered the pro micro controller and did the clock/data short test Soarer suggested on Deskthority, output: https://pastebin.com/DyUZwtLf

What I did not do is to "send" any config to the cotroller (like modify keyboard mapping...) but according to the step-by-step guide is not necesseraly needed.

I tried with 3 different USB cable (even with the one I used for flashing), same results, I reflashed with version 1.10, but same. What could go wrong?

First make sure the hardware is right.
REΛLFORCE

Offline ergya

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 16:04:39 »
First make sure the hardware is right.

Hi, thanks for helping, my pro micro has 16.000 marked on the silver thing (that is the clock generator?) and I have not bridged the top right corner pins yet. I guess 5V should go to the keyboard so I need to bridge them, correct?

EDIT
on the forum post you linked, someone said this: "Is it possible you had it selected as a 3V3 instead of 5V pro micro when you were flashing it? That can cause this behaviour. You should be able to reflash at 5V by forcing it into bootloader mode. "

Does it make any difference if you flash it with 3.3 or 5? Or let me put it this way, can I influence the voltage just by flashing it differently?

EDIT2
I read this topic and yes, I need to bridge it, Thank you Tactile, oddly enought though the original pro micro (the one I broke) did not show conductivity between thouse 2 pins on my multimeter... hmmm
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2018, 16:42:38 by ergya »

Offline ergya

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 06:35:35 »
So before soldering the pads I checked the voltage at the end of the cables with my multimeter, 1 probe was connected to VCC, 1 probe was connected to the cable that goes to GND and I measured 4.65V (DC) (the keyboard was connected to the controller, the controller was connected to my PC via USB). I checked the conductivity between the pads and my multimeter was not beeping... what a heck?
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 September 2018, 06:38:53 by ergya »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 07:06:53 »
You can find the schematic and additional info by clicking on "Documents" on this page.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 September 2018, 12:08:06 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline jamie_s

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 09:50:12 »
Following up with a picture of the 'beaut.

WASD V2 Novatouch TKL

Offline ergya

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 14:31:54 »
You can find the schematic and additional info by clicking on "Documents" on this page.

Thanks for the suggestions, without the J1 bridge I measured 4.65V, I even checked the regulator OUT pin and it was 4.65. After soldering the J1 bridge it is now 5V. The keyboard still not responding :(:(. I really hope I did not kill the keyboard somehow.... Without the keyboard I connected the controller to my PC, shorted the clock pin to the ground briefly and I used a program called hid_listen which showed some error codes so I assume the board is OK, although I am by no means an expert here...

EDIT
After closing the J1 pins I reflashed the controller with 1.12, resoldered, still nothing :(. The 3 LEDs (caps lock...) are on, but nothing, no response etc.

Unfortunately I am pretty much stuck here :(
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 September 2018, 14:47:22 by ergya »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 11:49:44 »
...After closing the J1 pins I reflashed the controller with 1.12...

I'm not sure that's right. "1.12" sounds like a version of Soarer's converter firmware. For a Wyse converter I think you should be using version 1.30, as found way down at the bottom of the first post in this thread.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 12:59:32 »
@jamie_s: What is the model number of your Wyse PCE keyboard? Thanks!

Offline jamie_s

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 08:40:50 »
@Hypersphere it's a PCE INT'L #840362-01
WASD V2 Novatouch TKL