Author Topic: Mini 10 trackpoint to ps2 or USB pinout assistance please!  (Read 10051 times)

Offline Wingklip

• I am the one the one the one the one the one
Mini 10 trackpoint to ps2 or USB pinout assistance please!
« on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 02:32:02 »
What are the pinout to this little thing? I am attempting to wire it up to work with either USB or ps2 preferably by itself or with a teensy.

It's the ptpm754dr with 8 pinout on the back that I don't believe have ever been covered before. Has anyone modded a keyboard using these and if so could I have some info? Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxipOwwe7ZXuVWRrODREYktiX1E/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxipOwwe7ZXuYUstU2J2cURxLWM/view?usp=drivesdk
If you 1v1 me in a cage fight I will use an AK-74 for ranged and an IBM model F 122 for melee

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Mini 10 trackpoint to ps2 or USB pinout assistance please!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 02:54:53 »
This is a better section to attract the attention of people who use pinouts :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 17:04:18 »
Having a look at this on a proper monitor I can't see where the traces go as there's a sticker and cable in the way, as well as the traces hiding under the chip itself.

I found this thread discussing the same chip and a couple have 8 pins used in the connector, following links to deskthority revealed more but none quite the same as yours.  To quote from here:

Quote from: wysi
PTPM754DR Pinout like in the datasheet of the old IC TPM754, you have to omit the pins 15, 16, 17 and 18 of the PTPM754DR (they are connected to GND), the other pins are the same as on both IC versions

So if you have a multimeter you could test continuity from the pins on that chip using the schematic on page 3 to work out what goes where.

If that's like an alien language to you perhaps it would be easier if you said which keyboard or laptop you found this trackpad in, it might help with searching for someone who's already done the work.

Or you could take off the sticker and post another pic (and one with the ribbon bent up out of the way?) and I'll have another go at tracing it out digitally - if possible a clearer pic of the side with the chips would be great too, I'm not sure some if I'm seeing vias (holes which link to the other side) or not in a couple of places.  Looks like you're in Australia so pics taken in direct sunlight should come out nicely :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 05:53:16 »
Having a look at this on a proper monitor I can't see where the traces go as there's a sticker and cable in the way, as well as the traces hiding under the chip itself.

I found this thread discussing the same chip and a couple have 8 pins used in the connector, following links to deskthority revealed more but none quite the same as yours.  To quote from here:

Quote from: wysi
PTPM754DR Pinout like in the datasheet of the old IC TPM754, you have to omit the pins 15, 16, 17 and 18 of the PTPM754DR (they are connected to GND), the other pins are the same as on both IC versions

So if you have a multimeter you could test continuity from the pins on that chip using the schematic on page 3 to work out what goes where.

If that's like an alien language to you perhaps it would be easier if you said which keyboard or laptop you found this trackpad in, it might help with searching for someone who's already done the work.

Or you could take off the sticker and post another pic (and one with the ribbon bent up out of the way?) and I'll have another go at tracing it out digitally - if possible a clearer pic of the side with the chips would be great too, I'm not sure some if I'm seeing vias (holes which link to the other side) or not in a couple of places.  Looks like you're in Australia so pics taken in direct sunlight should come out nicely :thumb:

Ayyy mate greetings from down under. I'll get some pics up tomorrow but for now, the laptop is the Lenovo mini 10 (the piece of crap that is) and is apparently in the Lenovo x100 line. The school computers we got were the x131e's, and this looks much like them, so I would assume the mini tens would be similar to the x100's if you have any tabs on them :)

I have a multimeter though, would it be better to directly solder the chip to some wires or use the dabs on the bottom of the PCB? Thanks!
If you 1v1 me in a cage fight I will use an AK-74 for ranged and an IBM model F 122 for melee

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 06:51:25 »
The pins on the chip are much closer together than where the ribbon connects and if you solder to them you would need to make sure any resistors/capacitors/whatever connected do them are still doing their jobs - it's easier all round to solder to the ribbon pads like everyone else.

I know nothing about trackpads but a circuit is a circuit and searching from a different country can yield different results so hopefully between us we can get this done, and maybe learn something along the way :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 22:31:28 »
I haven't had much time because I have been restoring 2 model M's I got for dirt cheap, but here are MUCH clearer pics.

Enjoy, suicidal orange!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxipOwwe7ZXubjlzWlN2OWlkY28/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxipOwwe7ZXubFhtaExIN2ZTV28/view?usp=drivesdk

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 06:47:29 »
Bump for orange  :D157589-0157591-1

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 08:46:09 »
It's on my todo list, 'just' need to mirror one side, transparent the non traces and make the traces a contrast colour then overlay both sides and it might make sense.  If not delete more bits off the overlay until one trace is clear before repeating for the next.  The strange distracting clicky noise is back in my computer else I'd be doing it now...

Edit:Progress pic attached, will look at pinout tomorrow.  .xcf has purple as a layer if you want to have a go :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 11:08:57 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:35:46 »
It's on my todo list, 'just' need to mirror one side, transparent the non traces and make the traces a contrast colour then overlay both sides and it might make sense.  If not delete more bits off the overlay until one trace is clear before repeating for the next.  The strange distracting clicky noise is back in my computer else I'd be doing it now...

Edit:Progress pic attached, will look at pinout tomorrow.  .xcf has purple as a layer if you want to have a go :thumb:

Nice dude, I though you didn't see the reply, my bad  ;D. I've actually done something similar before for the xwhatsit 3278 controller converter board because I didn't have one, so I superimposed the two sides to get a roper pinout to solder on  :D.

Way less complex than thins though mein gott

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 19:41:24 »
I've looked at this and my pic is much prettier now, but not got all the PS/2 pins connected to the ribbon header and just noticed it's 1:30 so I should sleep!

Red (5v) isn't a direct connection to the ribbon, could be a capacitor to smooth voltage or could just be the wrong pin (quite important if you don't want to fry it :)))
White is GND and I suspect yellow is too - can you confirm?

Pink is CLK
Orange is DATA

Do you want 'mouse' buttons too?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 21:17:20 »
2 model M's I got for dirt cheap

Where on earth did you get cheap model m's down here?
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 02:29:51 »
2 model M's I got for dirt cheap
Where on earth did you get cheap model m's down here?

Sekrit dokumants in burwood NSW comrade xaxaxa

I've looked at this and my pic is much prettier now, but not got all the PS/2 pins connected to the ribbon header and just noticed it's 1:30 so I should sleep!

Show Image

Red (5v) isn't a direct connection to the ribbon, could be a capacitor to smooth voltage or could just be the wrong pin (quite important if you don't want to fry it :)))

Pink is CLK
Orange is DATA

I assume it's either multimeter or PDF pinout time right? Also about the mouse buttons - how would one wire, say an omron switch, to the mouse buttons pinout? I was planning to wire a mouse alongside into a USB hub for scroll wheel functionality but this may do too

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 20:39:53 »
Do I need a teensy too? Or is ps2 enough for this

Offline anwar907

• kuasai teknologi
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 21:54:24 »

Show Image

Pink is CLK
Orange is DATA

do you have which one description about this pin? like GROUND, RESET, VCC, BUTTON and other pin

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 02:42:45 »
do you have which one description about this pin? like GROUND, RESET, VCC, BUTTON and other pin

Sorry but no, I never had the trackpoint and my computer died so I left Wingklip hanging and he(?) didn't post any multimeter findings.

The datasheet linked above is still available, do you have a multimeter or continuity tester?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline anwar907

• kuasai teknologi
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 03:59:16 »

Sorry but no, I never had the trackpoint and my computer died so I left Wingklip hanging and he(?) didn't post any multimeter findings.

The datasheet linked above is still available, do you have a multimeter or continuity tester?

yes I have mulitimeter to tester our pin but I don't have datasheet  PTPM754DR I have just datasheet TPM754 but I have try its not work in my trackpoint

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 15:03:56 »
In the discussion linked above it says the DR has the same pinout, just with four extra pins.  You can check for continuity between the buttons and pins on the chip - do they match the datasheet?  It says they are connected to the 6th, 7th and 8th pins from the top left as pictured in this thread.

What have you tried and what doesn't work?  Was the trackpoint definitely working before you started playing?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod