Author Topic: New here  (Read 2364 times)

Offline 0x3e

New here
« on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 17:44:34 »
Hello Geekhackers,

Love your work, I am especially interested in the HID liberation device and the GH60, being able to write custom code and for a custom board is very exciting.

I have had a HHKB and a Filco MJ(brown) purchased from benippon.com about five years ago as my home, work boards respectively.

Recently I upgraded the Filco to a RF 87U(variable) as the HHKB was making the full sized board seem very uncomfortable due to the location of the mouse and the brown switches started to feel rough and scratchy compared to topres I was using at home.

I am a programmer/sysadmin, Linux and vim user so the HHKB is a pretty good fit.

The long hours I spend on a keyboard are most happily spent on topre but I using the Filco the other day for a short time was actually a pleasant change.

I am tempted to pick up a poker but without custom firmware I imagine it would not get much use so I will wait for the GH60 and look at getting a HID liberation device made up.

So thanks again GHers for providing so many resources.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 20:52:24 »
Yay for Vim! Welcome to geekhack bro, nice collection so far :)
I love Elzy

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 21:24:37 »
Welcome, sir. HHKB FTW!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 04:59:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Have you got a Vim keycap yet?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 09:03:32 »
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline 0x3e

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 06:31:22 »
Thanks for the warm welcome GHers

Have you got a Vim keycap yet?

Not really my style but a very nice key cap that is.

It is interesting that while a lot of new devices designed to be interacted with without a keyboard the use of high quality keyboards is on the increase. I don't remember finding anything like the amount of great information around when I was originally looking to get a good keyboard.

Getting the HHKB (non-printed) and moving to vim as my editor is probably the greatest yield investment in my professional development that I have made.

I am looking forward to experimenting with some more cherry options and getting into custom firmwares. I hope to get some good gains from these endeavors also.