Author Topic: Hello! new here  (Read 1735 times)

Offline jhuh

Hello! new here
« on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 17:20:52 »
Hello! I am new to the mech kbd community! I just purchased a QFR brown after lurking here for a few weeks. I gotta say... I am impressed and glad to get rid of my rubber dome g15.

Amazon is now sending unbranded browns!

Quick question... I saw this rattling around inside the keyboard. Found it under the WIN and FN key on the bottom right. Anyone know what it is?

http://imgur.com/jcJxn

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello! new here
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 17:37:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I like my QFR with blacks :)

Your extra gift looks like a blob of solder, which is not necessarily good.  Do all the keys work?  OTHO it might have faliled in from teh machinery where they keyboards are assembled.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jhuh

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 17:43:03 »
I have tested the keyboard with Aqua's keytest. All the lights come up except for the menu/FN key on the application but it seems like the media keys and the windows lock works. I guess it is just extra solder? o.O

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:04:57 »
The Fn key is just a modifier that affects the keyboard itself - I haven't tried, but wouldn't expect it to show up on Aqua as I don't think it woudl be passed to WIndows (/Linux/whatever) anyway.

Could just be extra solder.

You could pull the keyboard apart and see if anything has worked its way loose, but would probably void your warranty in the process.  Therefore not recommended.

If it is working fine, then just enjoy your keyboard :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:20:58 »
I haven't run aqua test, so I'm not really sure what it does/how it looks, but if you hold it down and press another key, does it register as something different from pressing the key itself? If so, I think that would indicate it works properly. (Also, if you can use it to change the Windows lock and such, then it's working, right?)

Offline jhuh

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:29:07 »
I haven't run aqua test, so I'm not really sure what it does/how it looks, but if you hold it down and press another key, does it register as something different from pressing the key itself? If so, I think that would indicate it works properly. (Also, if you can use it to change the Windows lock and such, then it's working, right?)

The menu key never gets highlighted, but it registers the F5-12 when combined with FN. Windows lock works with the light, so I guess everything is fine.