geekhack Community > Keyboards

Unpopular Keyboard Opinions

<< < (1269/1270) > >>

Rob27shred:

--- Quote from: Rhienfo on Fri, 14 June 2024, 21:25:10 ---
--- Quote from: Rob27shred on Fri, 14 June 2024, 16:43:58 ---I think he was more pointing towards people who own like 5 Unikons, Kohakus, insert hype board here TBF. To me, I feel like to each their own really, if someone finds happiness in owning multiple of the same board I'm not gonna knock them for it. However I do find owning duplicates of a board redundant but that's just my opinion on it. I just usually try to grab a few extra PCBs & plates when I'm getting a high end board. That way I can build a few different setups I can swap in & out when I want a change on a certain board.

--- End quote ---

I prefer just swapping builds instead of getting several of the same boards. Variety is the spice of life.

(that being said I might get a dupe hhkb, it's pretty nice lol)

--- Quote from: bigmaxnonions on Fri, 14 June 2024, 21:07:54 ---i have another opinion; wob looks good on everything

--- End quote ---

wob on white kinda sucks, and silver and blue is a stretch but can still work imo.

--- End quote ---

Variety is the spice of life for sure! You hit on a point I forgot to mention with that quote actually. Buying multiples of of a high end board might impact my finances in a way that I have to skip out on a different board I really like. I would much rather have one of each board with multiple builds to change it up & be able to grab another board that interests me, vs being financial hamstrung because I bought multiples of a certain board causing me to have to skip a different one.

HungerMechanic:

--- Quote from: ArchDill on Tue, 21 May 2024, 15:10:02 ---I am digging the Logitech MX Mechanical Mini... Do not even use any other boards anymore.

It even has browns...

I love it.

--- End quote ---

What kind of switches does it use? Gateron LP Browns?

grids:
Small keyboards need more keys.
Large keyboards need to be smaller.

Mandan:

--- Quote from: TomahawkLabs on Fri, 14 June 2024, 10:51:31 ---Pipe is an alpha and so is tilda. Color them appropriately.

--- End quote ---

My IBM boards are all that way from the factory.

--- Quote ---If your thumbs rest on the spacebar between V-M why does it need to be larger (I noticed my keyboard is 6.25U spacebar).

--- End quote ---

Witness!   The standard Japanese format got that right.

According to an article on Xah Lee's web site:

--- Quote ---the typist suggested that two space keys be installed, one at each side of the keyboard, and given lips projecting inward, to make them easier to hit.

Densmore liked this idea so well that he wrote repeatedly to Milwaukee demaning that it be put into effect. Accordingly, Sholes directed Schwalbach to fashion the key buttons with lateral extensions, but when Glidden saw them he saked: “Why not join the two and have a single flat piece extending all the way across?” Thus originated the space bar …

- the typewriter and the men who made Them 1871 By Richard Nelson Current

--- End quote ---

So the answer is "because the spacebar has always been that way."  [sigh]  Lee has some pictures of old typewriters with one or two small space keys.

If I ever built my own keyboard, I'd put a TrackPoint and a couple of mouse buttons in the middle, and a 1.5u space key on each side of that. 

Fraaaan:

--- Quote from: grids on Wed, 19 June 2024, 03:41:27 ---Small keyboards need more keys.
Large keyboards need to be smaller.

--- End quote ---

Grass should be bluer and the sea should be greener.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version