Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Launches June 4th 2019 on Drop.com  (Read 299764 times)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2
« Reply #700 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 08:27:34 »
@Oblotzky Use Scroll instead of Lock pls?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #701 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 11:20:13 »
can't wait to get oblivion for non-rape prices

non-rape price..........

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #702 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 16:00:07 »

Looking at Numpad kit take rates in these Massdrop sets, one could argue it benefits the majority to offer Numpad as a separate kit.  But as a 104 user, I'm all for including Numpad in Base.

Show Image

More
Nice graph!  Love your work everywhere.  :thumb:
That said, you know
...it's just bunch of numbers without proper interpretation.  :p

More
Based on the graph, one could also argue that numpad pick rate is significantly higher for SA, which doesn't have stupidly high split kit prices like GMK. So it might actually hurt the majority because people that want numpad won't join to pay 40$ premium.

It's just data, you can interpret it in myriad of ways ;-)

I completely agree that interpretation is key.  This graph is just my summary of data for one piece of the puzzle.  I only hope it is helpful for those making or discussing future decisions.  It's not nearly enough information for me to confidently declare what will always be best for everyone.

Other important factors are not addressed at all.  For example, what are the cost differences between integrating and separating?  For GMK the cost of a few large kits is significantly less than many small ones, but what are the exact ratios for each manufacturer?  I have no idea.

Past performance doesn't predict future results.  In general, separate appears to be the best choice with SP (SA and DSA profiles).  But did it end up being the best choice for Danger Zone specifically?  I don't know.

Also, deciding the cost tipping point for separate versus integrated is entirely subjective.  Is it 30% increase for Numpad purchasers vs. 5% savings for Base-only?  Or +10%/-10%?  Any Base kit cost reduction is best for buyers that don't use Numpad.  Conversely, lower Numpad kit cost is best for those who do.  Why would an individual care what is best for anyone else?

TL;DR You're right.  By itself, a graph summarizing historical data doesn't really say anything.  But perhaps it helps some decide what to say for the future.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #703 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 16:31:30 »

Looking at Numpad kit take rates in these Massdrop sets, one could argue it benefits the majority to offer Numpad as a separate kit.  But as a 104 user, I'm all for including Numpad in Base.

Show Image

More
Nice graph!  Love your work everywhere.  :thumb:
That said, you know
...it's just bunch of numbers without proper interpretation.  :p

More
Based on the graph, one could also argue that numpad pick rate is significantly higher for SA, which doesn't have stupidly high split kit prices like GMK. So it might actually hurt the majority because people that want numpad won't join to pay 40$ premium.

It's just data, you can interpret it in myriad of ways ;-)

I completely agree that interpretation is key.  This graph is just my summary of data for one piece of the puzzle.  I only hope it is helpful for those making or discussing future decisions.  It's not nearly enough information for me to confidently declare what will always be best for everyone.

Other important factors are not addressed at all.  For example, what are the cost differences between integrating and separating?  For GMK the cost of a few large kits is significantly less than many small ones, but what are the exact ratios for each manufacturer?  I have no idea.

Past performance doesn't predict future results.  In general, separate appears to be the best choice with SP (SA and DSA profiles).  But did it end up being the best choice for Danger Zone specifically?  I don't know.

Also, deciding the cost tipping point for separate versus integrated is entirely subjective.  Is it 30% increase for Numpad purchasers vs. 5% savings for Base-only?  Or +10%/-10%?  Any Base kit cost reduction is best for buyers that don't use Numpad.  Conversely, lower Numpad kit cost is best for those who do.  Why would an individual care what is best for anyone else?

TL;DR You're right.  By itself, a graph summarizing historical data doesn't really say anything.  But perhaps it helps some decide what to say for the future.

Thanks for the very thoughtful response!

Offline ItsAllen

« Reply #704 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 16:48:59 »
Sorry if its been brought up, but 15 pages is a lot to read through.

Any possible chance of swapping the GIT modifiers and regular modifiers in the base kit?

Would love to have regular modifiers on the base kit, then the other way around, having to buy the git base kit + regular modifiers.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #705 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 17:14:37 »

Any possible chance of swapping the GIT modifiers and regular modifiers in the base kit?

Would love to have regular modifiers on the base kit, then the other way around, having to buy the git base kit + regular modifiers.

No, pls

GIT is life

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #706 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 17:42:43 »

It was brought up on page 14. Here's Oblotzky's response:

Petition to change "regular modifier" kit into Icon modifier kit!  :cool:
Show Image

Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #707 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 17:45:45 »
You guys are sabotaging this by messing with the vision of the organizer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #708 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 00:39:13 »

It was brought up on page 14. Here's Oblotzky's response:

Petition to change "regular modifier" kit into Icon modifier kit!  :cool:
Show Image

That person was asking for something different, not swapping regular and Git mods like ItsAllen

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #709 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 00:43:34 »
That person was asking for something different, not swapping regular and Git mods like ItsAllen

Ah. Reading comprehension helps.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #710 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 00:45:36 »

Ah. Reading comprehension helps.

Haha

Offline Krakyn

« Reply #711 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:02:55 »

I feel the same way. Would rather standard modifiers in the base. I wouldn't be seen dead with the GIT modifiers on my keyboard, so as it stands I'm paying extra money for keys that I won't use.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #712 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:08:38 »

I feel the same way. Would rather standard modifiers in the base. I wouldn't be seen dead with the GIT modifiers on my keyboard, so as it stands I'm paying extra money for keys that I won't use.

I think they could manage on their own, but as previously stated, I want to do something different with this round instead of simply repeating the first one. MT3 Godspeed didn't have any regular mods at all and people didn't seem too upset about that either.

And I'd guess if there was a poll somewhere, most buyers would just prefer regular mods.

SA Oblivion serves as that poll, 611 Regular vs 418 Git Modifiers. IMO that's a pretty high ratio for 'novelty' modifiers, so I feel confident in putting them straight into the base set for this run.

We should move on...

Offline asury

• /u/adsury/
« Reply #713 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:34:58 »
I'm already happy with the kits, GIT kit is all i wanted along with spacekeys. But highly chance to also take the Monochrome and Hagoromo. :thumb:
Grey Duck Sidewinder/GMK Hyperfuse Origins/MX Black retooled | Sage M60-A/GMK Camping/Holy Sky | LFK68/DSA Granite Alps/SKCM Orange Alps

Offline harlekein

« Reply #714 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:52:19 »
All I would ask for is Git modifiers in the Assembly kit. When I first saw Oblivion I loved that theme and I would be sad to miss out on that because I am using an ortho layout.

The base kit does have 1u for "pull", "fetch", "diff", etc. I would very much prefer to see those in Assembly as well.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #715 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 06:41:47 »
A suggestion, how about using hagormo alphas with git mods as base kit? Grey alphas can be alt set and rest as is? My personal opinion of course but I am sure it ll please SC participants but also others who think this set pops with hagormo alphas better than grey.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #716 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 06:54:57 »
A suggestion, how about using hagormo alphas with git mods as base kit? Grey alphas can be alt set and rest as is? My personal opinion of course but I am sure it ll please SC participants but also others who think this set pops with hagormo alphas better than grey.

Hagoromo Alphas are for an alternative colorway, the primary one will stay untouched.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #717 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 08:13:09 »

Hagoromo Alphas are for an alternative colorway, the primary one will stay untouched.

Thanks for confirmation, now this deabte can be put to rest (atleast in my mind). It appears that kits are pretty much decided, given some minor changes here and there.

Just wondering, if I go with orig mods only and hagoromo, will I be able to use rest of the mod set from Carbon? The grey appears to be very similar when looking at imges, besides orange legends. I am just trying to keep my cost down due to heavy spend in past few months. However if the colours are not similar then time to start pinching pennies for the kits, will have to go for base+reg mods+hagoromo+hagoromo cadet.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #718 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 08:22:28 »

Thanks for confirmation, now this deabte can be put to rest (atleast in my mind). It appears that kits are pretty much decided, given some minor changes here and there.

Just wondering, if I go with orig mods only and hagoromo, will I be able to use rest of the mod set from Carbon? The grey appears to be very similar when looking at imges, besides orange legends. I am just trying to keep my cost down due to heavy spend in past few months. However if the colours are not similar then time to start pinching pennies for the kits, will have to go for base+reg mods+hagoromo+hagoromo cadet.

Both Oblivion and Carbon used GQM for their modifiers in the SA versions, and as such are using the exact same matched color from GMK for the Cherry versions.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #719 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 08:41:30 »

Both Oblivion and Carbon used GQM for their modifiers in the SA versions, and as such are using the exact same matched color from GMK for the Cherry versions.

Thanks for confirmation again. I have decided to go with base +reg mods+hagoromo+hagoromo cadet, as I git mods are lovely and dont want to miss them out either. I will prob end up selling grey alphas as already got SC and Dolch. As this may be my last GMK set no point trying to pinch few extra $$.

Offline Cktenders

« Reply #720 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 08:48:32 »
No R1 Delete in the Mod kits kinda kills it for me. I have to imagine that would be a much more useful key over Num lock, or replace the accent Esc key with R1 delete.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #721 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 08:58:23 »
I think they could manage on their own, but as previously stated, I want to do something different with this round instead of simply repeating the first one. MT3 Godspeed didn't have any regular mods at all and people didn't seem too upset about that either.

And I'd guess if there was a poll somewhere, most buyers would just prefer regular mods.

SA Oblivion serves as that poll, 611 Regular vs 418 Git Modifiers. IMO that's a pretty high ratio for 'novelty' modifiers, so I feel confident in putting them straight into the base set for this run.

So why not actually put up a poll and see if your confidence is warranted? 200 modifier kits is a pretty big stretch when it comes to MOQ and there's a big difference between users of SA profile and Cherry profile when it comes to modifiers.

I'm also willing to bet that if there was a poll somewhere, most buyers would just prefer regular mods.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #722 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:06:30 »
No R1 Delete in the Mod kits kinda kills it for me. I have to imagine that would be a much more useful key over Num lock, or replace the accent Esc key with R1 delete.

You seem to misunderstand the purpose of the modifier kits. They are not meant to offer layout support, they merely replace the Git keys in the base kit. The R1 Delete key you are looking for is available in that base kit already.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #723 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:29:59 »
I'm also willing to bet that if there was a poll somewhere, most buyers would just prefer regular mods.

Disagree.  GIT is a huge deal, for anyone who deals with code.
Besides we should respect designer's direction, especially when he has provided viable path for regular mod lovers.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #724 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:35:29 »
Git mods 1000%.

Offline crykn

« Reply #725 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:39:10 »

Besides we should respect designer's direction, especially when he has provided viable path for regular mod lovers.

I agree, I think suggesting different kits isn't bad, but bringing it up over and over again when the designer said no is unnecessary. I kind of understand the people that don't want Git, because they think themed keysets are tacky, but they can either deal with it or pay for the regular mods.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #726 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:41:29 »

Massdrop data is a pretty significant poll given its scale and reach, as well as the numbers ordered in the SA Oblivion drop. I'm not sure how you could get a better, more reliable poll, since the massdrop numbers are from kits that were actually purchased.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:43:08 by fatpolomanjr »

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #727 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:54:46 »

So why not actually put up a poll and see if your confidence is warranted? 200 modifier kits is a pretty big stretch when it comes to MOQ and there's a big difference between users of SA profile and Cherry profile when it comes to modifiers.

But why would he have to do that? After all, it is his creation, so he's the one who has the final say. It's not like Oblotzky ignores feedback, it's been the exact opposite and we've seen meaningful changes made to kit structures.

I feel like we have reached the point of balance between OP's vision and what people want, or at least nearly there. It's impossible to satisfy everyone, and my thought is, even if Oblotzky thinks the current kit structures might hurt sales, he will still, and should go for it to realise his vision, and I'm entirely with him.
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline Cktenders

« Reply #728 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:56:03 »
You seem to misunderstand the purpose of the modifier kits. They are not meant to offer layout support, they merely replace the Git keys in the base kit. The R1 Delete key you are looking for is available in that base kit already.

Apparently so. I don't get the point of even offering them (mod kits) a la carte then. I don't want to buy 2-4 kits to make 1, which by this thread is indicating that a lot of people feel the same way. The modifier kits are so close to offering full coverage it makes little sense to not include another cap, or replace a redundant one to finish the coverage. You don't seem to want criticism in this IC though, so why IC it? You knew it would hit MOQ anyways, this seems superfluous if you aren't open to critiques (not mine in particular, just in general it seems your vision takes priority over what people are actually asking for).
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:57:35 by Cktenders »

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #729 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 10:17:48 »

Apparently so. I don't get the point of even offering them (mod kits) a la carte then. I don't want to buy 2-4 kits to make 1, which by this thread is indicating that a lot of people feel the same way. The modifier kits are so close to offering full coverage it makes little sense to not include another cap, or replace a redundant one to finish the coverage. You don't seem to want criticism in this IC though, so why IC it? You knew it would hit MOQ anyways, this seems superfluous if you aren't open to critiques (not mine in particular, just in general it seems your vision takes priority over what people are actually asking for).

Full coverage for what layout to be exact? I don't see what good it does adding another R1 Del key in the mod kit while it's already there in the base kit. I could use some enlightening here.
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #730 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 10:26:25 »

This IC has been quite helpful for the development of this set, but apparently that isn't very visible from your perspective.

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #731 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 11:05:32 »
Hey Oblotzky, just a thought that I haven't noticed anybody mentioning:

Would a separate add-on kit consisting of just arrows and TKL nav keys be fiscally viable?  You could even have fun playing around with colors and legends if that's something you wanted to do.

This is in response to the updated kit distribution.  Honestly it probably would struggle to meet MOQ, but depending on price could be an option for those who want to cover a second TKL with the add-on kits.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #732 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:08:41 »

Counter-disagree. I deal with code, not really that big of a deal. Especially since the modifiers are literally mapped to.. you know.. shift, enter, ctrl and all that useful keyboard stuff.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:13:57 by wholypantalones »

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #733 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:34:53 »

You don't seem to want criticism in this IC though, so why IC it? You knew it would hit MOQ anyways, this seems superfluous if you aren't open to critiques (not mine in particular, just in general it seems your vision takes priority over what people are actually asking for).

I especially love everybody white-knighting every time the git mods are mentioned or asking for something to be added or changed. This isn't an interest check at all, it's just "here's some keycaps guise, you'll buy them whatever b'cause Oblivion!"

"Donchoo touch mah git mods! Hurmph!"

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #734 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:37:57 »

You don't seem to want criticism in this IC though, so why IC it? You knew it would hit MOQ anyways, this seems superfluous if you aren't open to critiques (not mine in particular, just in general it seems your vision takes priority over what people are actually asking for).

I especially love everybody white-knighting every time the git mods are mentioned or asking for something to be added or changed. This isn't an interest check at all, it's just "here's some keycaps guise, you'll buy them whatever b'cause Oblivion!"

haha :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #735 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:38:38 »
Git is my life :) please don't take it away

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #736 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 13:39:16 »

Would a separate add-on kit consisting of just arrows and TKL nav keys be fiscally viable?  You could even have fun playing around with colors and legends if that's something you wanted to do.

This is in response to the updated kit distribution.  Honestly it probably would struggle to meet MOQ, but depending on price could be an option for those who want to cover a second TKL with the add-on kits.

If Arrows + 65%/75% Nav row can not be added to the Regular/Mono mods kit to make a 65/75% just from Hago Alpha + Mod, then this seems like a good alternative. Still would be cheaper to buy an arrow/nav kit than an extra base just for those keys.

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #737 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 13:40:59 »

cringe tbqh fampai

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #738 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 13:53:38 »

I don't know where this is even coming from did you not notice that the kits went through significant changes from first posting to now based in part on community feedback? Most notably the inclusion of regular modifiers for people that really wanted those.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #739 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 15:10:42 »

It's almost as if you didn't read the multiple pages about people arguing with kits and pricing and oblotzky finally starting to change the kits. Git mods fit with the theme of the set, oblotzky even added the original text mods in a separate kit for people who wanted a rehash of R1. It just sounds like to me that you are salty and wanted a rehash of R1 instead of git mods which a lot of people like.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #740 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 15:25:26 »

It's almost as if you didn't read the multiple pages about people arguing with kits and pricing and oblotzky finally starting to change the kits. Git mods fit with the theme of the set, oblotzky even added the original text mods in a separate kit for people who wanted a rehash of R1. It just sounds like to me that you are salty and wanted a rehash of R1 instead of git mods which a lot of people like.

I am sure that was intended as a jest, don't take it seriously :)

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #741 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:17:47 »

I am sure that was intended as a jest, don't take it seriously :)

Sssh, let them think I'm serious.  :p

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #742 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:46:05 »
Yeah, "joking". Is it white-knighting if you actually want the git mods? You'll run into an almost 50/50 split in preference between git and regular every time. I think it's just the silent 50% voicing their desire to keep the git mods in the base.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #743 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 17:48:20 »
I sold my original set because I knew GIT mods were coming, different strokes for different folks.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #744 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 19:44:49 »
"Donchoo touch mah rigula mods! Hurmph!", says wholypantalones  :p

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #745 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 20:35:48 »
In for a base kit and Colevrak! Crossing my fingers that it is considered. Since these alphas are rather color neutral, they should work well with other GMK sets.

Thanks for considering!

Offline YouGotRioted

« Reply #746 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 21:06:14 »
In for an assembly kit, but so tempted to get the base set on top of it.

Offline js

« Reply #747 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 22:14:52 »

Seconding this. I'm thinking about getting base + monochrome modifiers + hagoromo alphas, so I can have a full monochrome set, and make use of the colored git mods by combining them with hagoromo alphas. But I would be missing arrow keys (either white or gray or dark gray arrows would be fine).

Offline plus_one

« Reply #748 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 09:44:29 »
Great looking set, count me in for a git base kit and potentially an assembly kit!

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #749 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 11:03:00 »
Yeah, "joking". Is it white-knighting if you actually want the git mods? You'll run into an almost 50/50 split in preference between git and regular every time. I think it's just the silent 50% voicing their desire to keep the git mods in the base.

Stop taking everything so serious all the time, it's just plastic and aluminum. If you want the git mods, they obviously aren't going anywhere so getting your panties in a bunch every time a change is brought up or defending the OP's decision to keep them isn't needed. Enjoy the fact that you only have to buy a base set and don't have to buy two other kits + because the git mods are completely useless to you.