Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Launches June 4th 2019 on Drop.com  (Read 299724 times)

Offline OracleKev

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2
« Reply #800 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 22:14:19 »
Currently debating on whether to add arrow keys to the mod kits or not. Being able to buy Base + Modifiers + Hagoromo Alphas to fill a 65% alongside a TKL would be nice. 60% and HHKB are already possible. However I don't want to add too much 'standalone' coverage to the Modifier kits as that would lead to competing with myself, and I need to avoid that, and also not bloat the Modifier kits with duplicate keys that people who are looking to fill just one board won't need.

As some people seem to want arrows and nav for 65, and some for TKL, would a separate nav kit covering both be preferable to adding these keys to the mod kits?

I kind of like this idea. If you add arrows and just tkl nav to reg mods then 65% users get left out, and vice versa if you add just 65% nav to reg mods. Adding both to reg mods adds further cost to that kit for users that just want a base kit and regular mods. As a separate kit, you don't penalize users in that last group. Then again, throwing it all into a single mod kit benefits anyone that just wants, say, a cadet or hagoromo alphas kit and regular mods.

In all cases, the numbers from this group buy will provide data for sticking with a full GMK base kit and lower costs, or splitting it up several into several kits for higher cost but more choice.

Adding arrows would be inline with "Being able to buy Base + Modifiers + Hagoromo Alphas to fill a 65% alongside a TKL would be nice."
Adding TKL nav keys seem to amount to offering a la carte kits.  Might cause other problems beyond addressing narrow pain points.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #801 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 22:19:58 »
How about adding text arrows to the Cadet sets?
I really like them on Space Cadet--me think go nicely with all text mods.
Am I alone in wanting them?  Not sure where they belong though...  :eek:

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #802 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 22:33:13 »
Adding TKL nav keys seem to amount to offering a la carte kits.  Might cause other problems beyond addressing narrow pain points.

Oh yeah. The base kit contains enough navigation keys to cover a TKL + almost any 65% board (though you might need a second R1 Home key to cover all possible 65% navigation layouts in addition to a tkl board).

How about adding text arrows to the Cadet sets?
I really like them on Space Cadet--me think go nicely with all text mods.
Am I alone in wanting them?  Not sure where they belong though...  :eek:

I'd personally love text arrows and a full vim kit like what was offered for SA Oblivion. Maybe that vim kit can be done separately with potatowire. Text arrows are just great, fit well with the theme, and would be a nice addition to the arrows in the base kit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 March 2019, 23:02:09 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #803 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 22:54:05 »
This post is getting tooooo long haha.
Hope this just drops tomorrow as is.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #804 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 23:05:50 »
I'd personally love text arrows and a full vim kit like what was offered for SA Oblivion. Maybe that vim kit can be done separately with potatowire. Text arrows are just great, fit well with the theme, and would be a nice addition to the arrows in the base kit.
potatowire  ;D

This post is getting tooooo long haha.
Hope this just drops tomorrow as is.
Amen!  :p

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #805 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 04:35:51 »

I prefer icon arrows to text arrows, but definitely +1 on a vim kit!

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #806 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 04:56:49 »
I prefer icon arrows to text arrows, but definitely +1 on a vim kit!

I mean in addition to icon arrows/optional kit, but not as a replacement. Because of cost of custom legends.

It's probably wiser to not bloat this group buy too much, especially with the cadet kits, so the vim stuff should probably be done with a separate potatowire group buy. He's really solid with vimcaps. Dixiemech also did a really good job with their GMK 9009 vim kit.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #807 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 15:04:27 »
Oh yeah I suspect that there are already too many kits unfortunately :( But I can still dream of sweet, sweet vim keys!

Offline mimalik

« Reply #808 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 15:20:39 »
With all the posts so far, I think this should drop right after canvas on MD, all the kits as is. We ve had too many tweaks and thanks to Oblotzky for listening and modifying sets to community’s input.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #809 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 16:49:56 »
Would definitely buy the vim kit if available.

Maybe one option for making the arrows in the mod kit not redundant would be to make them text arrows?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #810 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 16:52:59 »
With all the posts so far, I think this should drop right after canvas on MD, all the kits as is. We ve had too many tweaks and thanks to Oblotzky for listening and modifying sets to community’s input.

Dropping after Canvas will be great. Doesn't seem that Canvas is getting that much love anymore (like first 2 rounds).

Offline Starius

« Reply #811 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 18:04:44 »

Dropping after Canvas will be great. Doesn't seem that Canvas is getting that much love anymore (like first 2 rounds).

I've only just recently gotten my R2 Canvas keys and have been using them on my Tokyo60 since I got them.  I feel like its recent enough that I'm still thinking of it as one of my "new" sets.  I imagine R3 is good for those who missed out before, but it does seem kinda soon doesn't it? 

I really need to slow down on the spending, but I'm going to make Oblivion and Metropolis purchased in any event. 

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #812 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 18:45:26 »

I've only just recently gotten my R2 Canvas keys and have been using them on my Tokyo60 since I got them.  I feel like its recent enough that I'm still thinking of it as one of my "new" sets.  I imagine R3 is good for those who missed out before, but it does seem kinda soon doesn't it? 

I really need to slow down on the spending, but I'm going to make Oblivion and Metropolis purchased in any event.

Yeah, plus Wavez, Mizu, and a few more. Too many must-buy sets!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #813 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 19:11:40 »
More oblivion love

214952-0

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #814 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 01:54:25 »

who said anything about it dropping after canvas?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #815 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 02:03:25 »

Maybe replace the word "will" with "would"?

"Dropping after canvas would be great".

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #816 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 02:15:21 »

Maybe replace the word "will" with "would"?

"Dropping after canvas would be great".

that makes a lot more sense

i don't think anything is confirmed just yet

especially since oblotzky is still working on the kits
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #817 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 08:41:19 »
Why in such a hurry? Oblotzky said this will run around June, and that’s perfectly OK. We don’t need to do things in a rush.

In the meantime, there are lots of other nice stuff in the mech world to keep us entertained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #818 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 08:45:48 »
Why in such a hurry? Oblotzky said this will run around June, and that’s perfectly OK. We don’t need to do things in a rush.

In the meantime, there are lots of other nice stuff in the mech world to keep us entertained.

Because this set is awesome and we want it bad?
Let the man dream...  We have little influence over schedule anyway.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #819 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 08:55:57 »

Don't mind oldcat, he rushes every Interest Check he posts in. Just look at GMK Wavez.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #820 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 08:59:13 »
I appreciate the enthusiasm, sure I'd love to have the set drop sooner than later just as much as anyone here, but there are other factors to consider, such as Massdrop's schedule. It wouldn't be fair to the projects that other people are working on to be pushed aside like that. Oblivion will have its fair turn.  :thumb:

Offline jahmot

« Reply #821 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 11:32:30 »
Would you consider making the Assembly modifiers all upper case or all lower case?
Having only the first letter capitalized looks a little weird because no one writes assembly like that, usually all upper or all lower case.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 March 2019, 11:37:27 by jahmot »

Offline smurkcity12

« Reply #822 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 11:51:02 »
Would you consider making the Assembly modifiers all upper case or all lower case?
Having only the first letter capitalized looks a little weird because no one writes assembly like that, usually all upper or all lower case.
I'm fairly indifferent towards this, but I do think that the molds for these legends already exist. If that is the case, then it wouldn't be economical to change them.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #823 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 14:24:21 »
I'm fairly indifferent towards this, but I do think that the molds for these legends already exist. If that is the case, then it wouldn't be economical to change them.

What smurkcity12 said, the molds already exist which I intend to reuse, they were originally created for GMK Space Cadet. I initially intended to make them all uppercase, but ultimately did not because I stuck to Cherry's design rule of having camel case text on modifiers. I think it looks fine:

The version you prefer can be found for SA as it's standard there to use all uppercase letters on modifiers:

« Last Edit: Sat, 16 March 2019, 14:26:46 by Oblotzky »

Offline jahmot

« Reply #824 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 15:00:45 »

What smurkcity12 said, the molds already exist which I intend to reuse, they were originally created for GMK Space Cadet. I initially intended to make them all uppercase, but ultimately did not because I stuck to Cherry's design rule of having camel case text on modifiers. I think it looks fine:

The version you prefer can be found for SA as it's standard there to use all uppercase letters on modifiers:

That's too bad, I think all upper case would look amazing, but I don't know if that's worth making new molds.
Either way, it looks great and I definitely intend to participate in the GB! Thanks for putting this together!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #825 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 15:20:34 »

That's too bad, I think all upper case would look amazing, but I don't know if that's worth making new molds.
Either way, it looks great and I definitely intend to participate in the GB! Thanks for putting this together!

Recreating all the legends would cost about 6k EUR, so that's not gonna happen I'm afraid even if I wanted to, sorry.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #826 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 23:24:30 »

Recreating all the legends would cost about 6k EUR, so that's not gonna happen I'm afraid even if I wanted to, sorry.

Drawn to all caps as former assembly user, but it will look out of place for most people.  Penumbra had all caps mods and it looked weird enough that they were changed in the Solarized mod kit.

Offline JWahl

« Reply #827 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 20:23:57 »
I'm still somewhat new here but I'm definitely interested in at least the base kit and regular modifiers if it drops around the summer time or later.  This has been my favorite keycap colorway I've found so far, and not in SA (I dislike typing on SA).  I've been hoping this would come back for awhile, but just now stumbled on this thread.  I do like the blue enter and escape in the monochrome modifiers, but have no interest in the rest of the monochrome set.  Not a deal-killer though.  I'm just happy to see this possibly coming back.
Leopold FC660M (Cherry Silent Red & Blue) ,980C 30g /Silenced Novatouch / NIZ Atom 66

Offline whalematrontron

« Reply #828 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 21:56:32 »
I'm still somewhat new here but I'm definitely interested in at least the base kit and regular modifiers if it drops around the summer time or later.  This has been my favorite keycap colorway I've found so far, and not in SA (I dislike typing on SA).  I've been hoping this would come back for awhile, but just now stumbled on this thread.  I do like the blue enter and escape in the monochrome modifiers, but have no interest in the rest of the monochrome set.  Not a deal-killer though.  I'm just happy to see this possibly coming back.

It's definitely coming back!

Yeah I think the monochrome colorway looks pretty boring personally, but I guess it is quite clean.

Offline Uryftw

« Reply #829 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 09:17:59 »
I'm 100% in if there is an ISO survival kit.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #830 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 09:41:21 »

Look of I have done, Oblotzky. Contemplate the aftermath of my work.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #831 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 11:40:33 »

"And lo, the Lord said..."

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #832 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 11:59:35 »

"And lo, the Lord said..."

Offline reidd

« Reply #833 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 17:11:58 »
Is the monochrome base kit no longer happening?

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #834 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 23:35:14 »
Is the monochrome base kit no longer happening?

I believe that is correct. Mono mod kit instead, and just the one base.

Though the Alpha + Mod kit can be combined for a 60% (not 65% though because no arrows/nav kit)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #835 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 02:40:22 »
I'm definitely in for the next run

2 issues

1) How can we be notified when it's launched
2) I can only use rounded 1.25U keycaps near the spacebar, when the set has blanks, I file them, make them round/comfortable, so my thumbs don't get destroyed -- is it possible to get 1.25C keycaps too, you included 1.00C, but not 1.25C - I believe 1.25C blanks would be useful too, while not too common, there are people like me
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #836 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 03:57:03 »
I'm definitely in for the next run

2 issues

1) How can we be notified when it's launched
2) I can only use rounded 1.25U keycaps near the spacebar, when the set has blanks, I file them, make them round/comfortable, so my thumbs don't get destroyed -- is it possible to get 1.25C keycaps too, you included 1.00C, but not 1.25C - I believe 1.25C blanks would be useful too, while not too common, there are people like me

1) just check in once a month for launch date announcement. since the gb will run for an entire month it should be hard to miss
2) I would but gmk does not have 1.25 convex molds

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #837 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 04:49:56 »
Ah, such a shame, thanks for the info

If you correspond with them actively, can you nudge them to get the molds developed? I have a hunch they could be just waiting a request for it :D
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #838 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 05:08:58 »
Ah, such a shame, thanks for the info

If you correspond with them actively, can you nudge them to get the molds developed? I have a hunch they could be just waiting a request for it :D

They only recently introduced convex molds for 2.25u and 2.75u after they added 2u like a year before that since those are the most common spacekeys. don't think we'll see 1.25u and 1.75u for quite a while considering a mold costs like high 4 figures or even 5 figures. I'm sure they'll add it once they see a benefit in it.

Offline tenrose

« Reply #839 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 06:10:40 »
liking the look of this set, and i've been itching for another after growing tired of my dsa granites

will def pick up base + mods + ISOUK kits

Offline nui_e

« Reply #840 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 06:32:47 »
Waiting for this for finishing my end game.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #841 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 09:47:59 »
This collaboration should have been easy to predict, some already asked for exactly this earlier in the thread, on reddit or even PM's. So here you go!

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 March 2019, 17:21:49 by Oblotzky »

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #842 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 10:05:08 »
 :eek: :eek: :eek: very nice

Offline pcire

« Reply #843 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 10:26:23 »
Awesome! Now we just need a launch date ;)

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #844 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 10:46:11 »
Gotta get this.
Perfect match.

Offline kakiharaOne

« Reply #845 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 10:58:11 »
I’ve never used a brass keycap before but since it’s heavier, does/should one try to balance that out with a heavier spring or is it not really a noticeable difference?

RAMA will certainly be busy.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #846 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 11:01:14 »
I’ve never used a brass keycap before but since it’s heavier, does/should one try to balance that out with a heavier spring or is it not really a noticeable difference?

RAMA will certainly be busy.

This one will be anodized aluminium with enamel infill.

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #847 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 11:18:26 »
This collaboration should have been easy to predict, some already asked for exactly this earlier in the thread, on reddit or even PM's. So here you go!

Show Image

Show Image

Sweet Jesus that's beautiful.  That may very well be my first RAMA Artisan.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #848 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 11:44:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

Holy ****. It's perfect.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #849 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 14:05:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

YUSS! So glad this is happening! Awesome work you and Rama!