Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Launches June 4th 2019 on Drop.com  (Read 299805 times)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2
« Reply #1150 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 07:14:07 »
However due to the additional cost of having to buy Regular Modifiers separately I don't expect them to come even close to half the units of the Base Kit. Probably 25-30% of the Base Kit units while Monochrome makes up another 15-20%.

In the first part of that statement, are you saying that due to the additional cost of the Regular Modifiers kit that a good portion of people aren't going to purchase it? If so, that's probably true. If the Base Kit comes with the Git Modifiers, that will be what I purchase.

Yes, people that would normally go for Regular Modifiers will settle on the Git Modifiers because they are in the Base Kit, as they do not want to spend the extra money on the Regular Modifiers Kit in addition to the Git Base Kit.

But we'll do a poll for text arrows and make other additions to the set, but still no budge on forcing those git modifiers in the base kit.

Nothing like having to settle on a $150+ set with mods you don't want when your other options are $250+ on mechmarket or just buy all the mod kits in this drop.

Offline NimbleTortoise

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Data Analyzed (Page 23)
« Reply #1151 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 09:00:54 »
Iono why people are complaining so much. No one is going to really look at the words on their modifiers and obsess over it after day 1. At that point you probably have some weird psychological disorder called first world problem syndrome. It's the same damn colors.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1152 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 09:10:38 »
Iono why people are complaining so much. No one is going to really look at the words on their modifiers and obsess over it after day 1. At that point you probably have some weird psychological disorder called first world problem syndrome. It's the same damn colors.

Eh, as a perfectionist myself, I'm already having difficulties accepting Caps Lock legends when that key is mapped to Function on my boards. Can't even imagine being fine with not buying a NorDe kit and sticking to physical layout when your board is German. I get why some people prefer regular legends on their boards.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #1153 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 12:04:02 »
One caveat to go with the data is that it doesn't include responses from the big-brained people who weren't fooled by the post. I think it's fair to assume that those big-brained people would all purchase regular modifiers. That is all, thanks.

Big brained people goes for git modifiers because there is an high chance that they are developers and use GIT everyday.  In general, a good amount of the keeb nerds here are into IT/developer jobs and/or had to do anything with GIT. 

Basically every other set has regular mods, this doesn't, and apparently the majority wants git modifiers. 

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #1154 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 13:30:58 »
However due to the additional cost of having to buy Regular Modifiers separately I don't expect them to come even close to half the units of the Base Kit. Probably 25-30% of the Base Kit units while Monochrome makes up another 15-20%.

In the first part of that statement, are you saying that due to the additional cost of the Regular Modifiers kit that a good portion of people aren't going to purchase it? If so, that's probably true. If the Base Kit comes with the Git Modifiers, that will be what I purchase.

Yes, people that would normally go for Regular Modifiers will settle on the Git Modifiers because they are in the Base Kit, as they do not want to spend the extra money on the Regular Modifiers Kit in addition to the Git Base Kit.

But we'll do a poll for text arrows and make other additions to the set, but still no budge on forcing those git modifiers in the base kit.

Nothing like having to settle on a $150+ set with mods you don't want when your other options are $250+ on mechmarket or just buy all the mod kits in this drop.

Show Image

A pie chart from an April fool's joke? Surely that's valid data.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1155 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 13:59:55 »

Show Image

Why would it be so invalid? Sure, it's not perfect, but I assume people still picked their preferred modifiers/alphas/cadet or normal alphas. Even if you were aware that it was a april fools, why would you 'order' Monochrome mods instead of the Regular mods you're going to actually buy later? Strawpolls are at least just as flawed due to vocal minorities that might skew a poll in their favor.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #1156 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 14:24:46 »

Show Image

Even before the april joke was clear (from people responses in this thread) that GIT mods were wanted more than regular mods. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 April 2019, 19:04:16 by KaosJ »

Offline stxfreak

« Reply #1157 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 15:30:05 »
oblotzky big gay
TGR Jane V2

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1158 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 15:32:05 »
oblotzky big gay

banned from all future GB's.

Offline kidpid

« Reply #1159 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 15:37:25 »
One caveat to go with the data is that it doesn't include responses from the big-brained people who weren't fooled by the post. I think it's fair to assume that those big-brained people would all purchase regular modifiers. That is all, thanks.

Big brained people goes for git modifiers because there is an high chance that they are developers and use GIT everyday.  In general, a good amount of the keeb nerds here are into IT/developer jobs and/or had to do anything with GIT. 

Basically every other set has regular mods, this doesn't, and apparently the majority wants git modifiers.

I'm a developer and I use git every day, but I really do not like the git mods. That's not a big issue, though. I'm going to skip the base kit entirely and buy the regular mods and Hagoromo alphas. Unfortunately for me this means I can only put this set on a 60%, but it I don't want to waste that much money and keys just to have regular mods. My preference would be to have regular mods in the base kit (or better yet have no base kit and sell the alphas and mods in completely separate kits), but if more people want git mods then I'm not going to make a stink about it.

Offline zizard

« Reply #1160 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 17:20:37 »
I use git all the time but I don't need it on my keyboard.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #1161 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 17:48:17 »
I guess it's time to repeat pages 1-10 of this thread where we decide on regular or git mods in the base kit. The regular mods people have started posting their votes, with some backlash from git mods advocates. Can we get more of the silent git mods folks to voice their desire for git mods in the base kit? A simple "+1 for git mods" seemed to work well before.

<-- +1 for idgaf, with a slight bias for git mods in the base kit since I have zero use for regular mods. As long as I get me some git mods one way or another.

e: Or we can just, you know, go with the data in both SA Oblivion and in OBLIVION_V2.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 April 2019, 19:02:25 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #1162 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 17:52:48 »
Personally can't understand why you would want git commands as modifiers, it's not like the keys they are mapped to even correspond to the commands but it seems like there are a decent amount of people that like it so fair enough (I guess it's something different). I thought I'd just go for the normal mods and grab some oblivion alphas, until I noticed there weren't any oblivion alphas :(, kinda gutted about that but I'm sure the answer will be no. I realise there is always a massive lack of demand for ISO, just requesting if we could have 4 keys needed to physically cover a board in a base kit or somewhere? As obviously nobody really wants to buy a nordeuk kit due to the cost and having a load of useless keys (again I'm expecting the answer will be no). Not trying to moan just giving my feedback, really like some of your designs mate, just hate the way you do kits haha ='[. If I get the expected no's I'll probably just get the base kit and only use it on my ansi boards.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #1163 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 18:15:18 »
Personally can't understand why you would want git commands as modifiers, it's not like the keys they are mapped to even correspond to the commands but it seems like there are a decent amount of people that like it so fair enough (I guess it's something different).

Mostly A E S T H E T I C S and theme. Ultimately they are a novelty kit for touch typists who don't need to look at what modifiers keys they're pressing, or for unconventional layouts that benefit from non-standard/ambiguous labeling. Which is why I've never minded the idea of git mods as a separate kit aside from the fact I have zero use for regular mods. (Which is the opposite story for regular mods people like yourself that have no use for git mods.)
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.

Offline lirtle

« Reply #1164 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 18:16:40 »
Not a fan of the git mods in the base kit. Seems like they make way more sense as a separate kit since they are a novelty. Just my 0.02

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #1165 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 18:57:55 »
Personally can't understand why you would want git commands as modifiers, it's not like the keys they are mapped to even correspond to the commands but it seems like there are a decent amount of people that like it so fair enough (I guess it's something different).

Mostly A E S T H E T I C S and theme. Ultimately they are a novelty kit for touch typists who don't need to look at what modifiers keys they're pressing, or for unconventional layouts that benefit from non-standard/ambiguous labeling. Which is why I've never minded the idea of git mods as a separate kit aside from the fact I have zero use for regular mods. (Which is the opposite story for regular mods people like yourself that have no use for git mods.)

Yeh it's fair enough, non standard layouts etc is a good point, I just think regular look better really but I guess it's all personal preference. I suppose the ultimate solution would be to offer both mods and alphas separately but with it being GMK this is unlikely to be feasible cost/moq wise. Oh well, however it turns out I'll go with the option that is useable on at least some of my boards and doesn't end up with me spending silly money on a load of kits =].

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #1166 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 19:05:44 »
I guess it's time to repeat pages 1-10 of this thread where we decide on regular or git mods in the base kit. The regular mods people have started posting their votes, with some backlash from git mods advocates. Can we get more of the silent git mods folks to voice their desire for git mods in the base kit? A simple "+1 for git mods" seemed to work well before.

<-- +1 for idgaf, with a slight bias for git mods in the base kit since I have zero use for regular mods. As long as I get me some git mods one way or another.

e: Or we can just, you know, go with the data in both SA Oblivion and in OBLIVION_V2.

No, we've already been there and GIT mods was the majority, how many gh pages this IC needs, 40? 
Pretty sure most of the people stopped to read this IC at some point, at least don't return on choices already taken a month, go ahead.

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 April 2019, 19:09:07 by KaosJ »

Offline zizard

« Reply #1167 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 20:03:52 »
There's a huge bias when something is presented as the default choice so the data might not mean much.

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #1168 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 20:14:35 »
+100 for Git Mods. Come on people.
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #1169 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 20:26:56 »

Show Image

Why would it be so invalid? Sure, it's not perfect, but I assume people still picked their preferred modifiers/alphas/cadet or normal alphas. Even if you were aware that it was a april fools, why would you 'order' Monochrome mods instead of the Regular mods you're going to actually buy later? Strawpolls are at least just as flawed due to vocal minorities that might skew a poll in their favor.

People just want Oblivion, they dgaf if the novelties are part of the base set and I have a feeling that if they aren't part of the base set that you know they won't sell very well despite using data from an entirely different user base and profile (SA) buy, data from an April fool's joke thread and the few vocal minorities that keep angrily defending the decision throughout this IC.

People that already have Oblivion probably aren't going to buy another entire base set just to get the git novelties. They aren't going to buy a colored mod kit since they already have them. They will buy the git mod kit and the monochrome mods separately.

You've already stated that people are just going to default to the git mods because they aren't going to spring for the colored mods or other mod kits. If you're so g-darn sure because of your "data" that the git mods will sell so well, then why not put them in a separate kit, you know like most keysets do with the "novelties" and make an actual base kit with the colored mods?

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #1170 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 20:57:03 »
No, we've already been there and GIT mods was the majority, how many gh pages this IC needs, 40?

I'd rather fight it out for 40 more pages. Gotta pass the time somehow. OBLIVION_V2 gave this IC the kickstart it needed to become a comprehensive immortal arena thread in which there can be only one standing in the final post.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1171 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 22:23:03 »

I'd rather fight it out for 40 more pages. Gotta pass the time somehow. OBLIVION_V2 gave this IC the kickstart it needed to become a comprehensive immortal arena thread in which there can be only one standing in the final post.

REEEEEEE

sensibility? on my keyboard forum?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #1172 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 22:56:49 »
24 pages of IC and nth rehash of GIT vs. regular mods.
Oblivion is hot!  :p

Offline burning47

« Reply #1173 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 01:22:06 »

Big-brained people also do not need to flaunt their knowledge and that they know how to use git. There are also a good amount of people and devs here who do not need to be constantly reminded of git and would appreciate simple mods.

I also would not say a that the git mods are the majority, it only received ~14% more submissions in the data than colored mods, and when including monochrome mods (also regular text) into the picture it does not even account for half of them.

Offline ian13

« Reply #1174 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 02:01:36 »
I, for one, do not like to have the base kit to have git mods. I also didn't have the chance to join the 1st version of this set so I am heavily biased towards having either regular or monochrome mods (more so for the monochrome mods since I'm boring af) But, if Oblotzky wants the version 2 of this to have git mods (and with good reason) then I believe it to be just fine. After all, he is the designer of this set and he has the final say on this. And while it is true that he posted this on the IC thread to gather not just interest but also feedback, we also have to respect whatever he decides for this set to have.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #1175 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 02:15:19 »
Any chance for some Vim keys to accompany the programming theme?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1176 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 02:32:02 »

wait they're not already there?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline turbosloth

« Reply #1177 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 02:51:14 »

The cadet arrows are on ghjk + aren't in the right order to work for VIM and there doesn't seem to be any other VIM kits I can spot. I'd be awfully tempted by one tho

Aside from that, and to keep rehashing the git mods, I really like the range of colours but hate the git terms (speaking as someone who also uses it everyday). Didn't get my order in on time in the April Fools GB to impact the numbers either :(
I do like the Assembly mods however, so I might just grab that by itself
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2019, 02:53:32 by turbosloth »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1178 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 03:16:23 »

The cadet arrows are on ghjk + aren't in the right order to work for VIM and there doesn't seem to be any other VIM kits I can spot. I'd be awfully tempted by one tho

Aside from that, and to keep rehashing the git mods, I really like the range of colours but hate the git terms (speaking as someone who also uses it everyday). Didn't get my order in on time in the April Fools GB to impact the numbers either :(

they should be added in their own kit for the massdrop gb

i'll harass oblotzky about it until he eventually caves or politely asks me to stop

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #1179 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 03:20:06 »

i'll harass oblotzky about it until he eventually caves or politely asks me to stop

potatowire might be interested in doing GMK Oblivion vimcaps. The SA Oblivion ones were lit.

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2019, 03:22:00 by fatpolomanjr »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1180 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 05:22:41 »
There's a huge bias when something is presented as the default choice so the data might not mean much.

All modifier and alpha colors/types were equally represented in the april fools GB. There was no forced Git Base to build upon as it is going to be for the MD buy.

I had one in the lineup initially before I opened the IC, but I chose to discard it in fear of Carbon-syndrome where people overload their cart and then back out because "this set is way too expensive if I try to buy everything". Maybe I'll bring it back though.

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #1181 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 07:30:54 »
+100 for git mods. It's getting boring to discuss this again and again.

A Vim kit would be awesome !

Offline thornkin

« Reply #1182 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 16:50:59 »
Too bad the cadet arrows are off by one for vim. Maybe add it to the arrow kit if there is one?

Offline zizard

« Reply #1183 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 18:08:29 »
Pie chart shows 52% want non-git and 48% want git :thinking:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1184 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 18:18:26 »

All modifier and alpha colors/types were equally represented in the april fools GB. There was no forced Git Base to build upon as it is going to be for the MD buy.

I had one in the lineup initially before I opened the IC, but I chose to discard it in fear of Carbon-syndrome where people overload their cart and then back out because "this set is way too expensive if I try to buy everything". Maybe I'll bring it back though.

i have faith

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #1185 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 18:32:40 »

So then we should have combined monochrome/regular mods in the base kit. :confused:

Offline zizard

« Reply #1186 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 19:33:09 »

So then we should have combined monochrome/regular mods in the base kit. :confused:

Would need to look at second preferences. Suspect monochrome preferences will flow to regular.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #1187 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 20:00:10 »

Would need to look at second preferences. Suspect monochrome preferences will flow to regular.

wut? Let it go man...

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #1188 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 21:32:55 »

wut? Let it go man...

I think OP wanting the git mods inthe base is enough to end the discussion on it, but if it’s going to be discussed, his point is valid.  Were there no monochrome option, it would be >50% wanting regular mod legends vs <50% wanting git mods.

Offline Tyki

« Reply #1189 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 21:40:12 »
Exciting! I think most people care more about color than they care about what is on the keys themselves. Unless it is something dumb (like memes) that won't age well that is.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #1190 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 22:10:39 »

wut? Let it go man...

I think OP wanting the git mods inthe base is enough to end the discussion on it, but if it’s going to be discussed, his point is valid.  Were there no monochrome option, it would be >50% wanting regular mod legends vs <50% wanting git mods.

wut? Still don't get it.  Are you saying Monochrome preference is not real?  :cool:
I don't want to inhibit discussions, but this type of re-hashing seems to add very little value.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #1191 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 22:12:03 »

In the case there were no monochrome option, I suspect you're right. It would be like ranked voting. While we have the monochrome option, though, won't the vote always be split? And as long as there is no monochrome base, they'll have to buy a monochrome kit no matter what. If I were a monochrome person and had a choice of git or regular mods in the base, I'd choose regular just to have the option of mixing colored mods in the future.

As for Oblotzky's preference settling this ad nauseam discussion, that is also true, since it is GMK Oblivion V2, not Round 2. I'm surprised regular mods even made it back as a kit.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #1192 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 22:18:29 »
I suggest we run the poll again with the choice of:
GIT mods,
monochrome GIT mods,
regular mods,
monochrome mods,
colored icon mods,
monochrome icon mods,
colored traditional Cherry mods,
monochrome traditional Cherry mods.
:p

And Oblotzky accepts the outcome, completely ignoring his preferences.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2019, 22:20:49 by OracleKev »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1193 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 23:16:07 »
I suggest we run the poll again with the choice of:
GIT mods,
monochrome GIT mods,
regular mods,
monochrome mods,
colored icon mods,
monochrome icon mods,
colored traditional Cherry mods,
monochrome traditional Cherry mods.
:p

And Oblotzky accepts the outcome, completely ignoring his preferences.

*eye twitches*

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #1194 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 23:56:00 »

Big-brained people also do not need to flaunt their knowledge and that they know how to use git. There are also a good amount of people and devs here who do not need to be constantly reminded of git and would appreciate simple mods.

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2019, 23:57:42 by nguyenhimself »

Offline arsenics

« Reply #1195 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 01:47:06 »
I literally just want monochrome mods to emulate the old GMK Heavy Industry look. :( oblotzky pls

Offline mushubanane

« Reply #1196 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 04:03:07 »
I think we all have biased opinions on what's popular partly due to reddit photos/geekhack discussions/community stuff. But what we've seen with the April's fools is that a lot of people not involved in the "community" actually might have a different opinion that are not usually seen (lots created an account just for this one order). I think the results derived from the April's fools data, however biased some of you pretend it is, are actually a good direction to follow.

(PS: I myself prefer regular mods but I yield to the data)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1197 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 05:13:53 »

wut? Let it go man...

You both seem to have forgotten the scenario where Monochrome people would just not buy anything at all if there was no Monochrome option.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #1198 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 05:29:45 »
So people are going to be pissed off no matter what Oblotzky chooses to be in the base kit, so he should just choose what he wants. Am I reading that right? :D

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #1199 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 05:35:56 »
So people are going to be pissed off no matter what Oblotzky chooses to be in the base kit, so he should just choose what he wants. Am I reading that right? :D

Oblotzky needs to obtain the Time Stone and see 14,000,605 possibilities.
Them he may find one possible path to keep everyone happy.  :p