Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Launches June 4th 2019 on Drop.com  (Read 299761 times)

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Data Analyzed (Page 23)
« Reply #1300 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 00:01:28 »
Hey man, loving this set

Just got one minor question regarding the kits

Assuming that I purchase
1x base set
1x regular modifiers
1x monochrome modifiers
2x hagomoro alphas
2x alternative function rows

There'll be certain keys that are only in base which are not present in any other keycap set to make this up to three 100% compatible sets, things like the navigation cluster, print, lock, pause, one set of arrow keys (As base includes 2) and the keys surrounding the numpad (With notable exceptions of Enter and Numlock).

Would it make sense to have a set which includes some of these keys so people can effectively build your own fullsize compat if they so wish from Hago alphas, modifier set, the theoretical makeup to 100% set?

That is correct. Base has enough mod keys + extra arrows so that Base + Mod + Alpha can cover one full board and one up to 65%. To cover another board over 60% you would need another base though.

Offline SuperDino

« Reply #1301 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 00:09:19 »
Any updates now that GMK Eclipse is done?
So excited! Can't wait to match it with my PC Think6.5 :)
Going for base+regular mods+hagoromo alphas.

Go Oblotzky!

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #1302 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 01:13:35 »
Any updates now that GMK Eclipse is done?
So excited! Can't wait to match it with my PC Think6.5 :)
Going for base+regular mods+hagoromo alphas.

Go Oblotzky!

Could this be right after SA Laser?  Fingers crossed!  :thumb:

Offline Kaktus

« Reply #1303 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 02:06:43 »
I know the NorDeUk kit is a maybe but what size is the shift/rebase button? Is it 1.25 or 1.75 :)

Thanks so much. This kit is beautiful. Hope NorDeUk kit will make it.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #1304 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 02:16:20 »
I know the NorDeUk kit is a maybe but what size is the shift/rebase button? Is it 1.25 or 1.75 :)

Thanks so much. This kit is beautiful. Hope NorDeUk kit will make it.

1.25u, it's an ISO shift after all.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #1305 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 02:58:37 »
Could this be right after SA Laser?  Fingers crossed!  :thumb:

GMK Pulse is coming up too. I wonder if that or Oblivion will be first to run.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #1306 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 03:02:30 »
SA Laser starts in a few hours, then Oblivion in June, then Pulse, then Serika.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #1307 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 03:27:36 »

Music to my ears  :thumb:

Offline Kaktus

« Reply #1308 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 09:14:50 »
Is there any chance you could include a 2U R4 Rebase Key (to be used as Shift)?

That would make this set perfect.  :)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1309 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 13:36:15 »

Update time: GMK Oblivion V2 will be available on Drop.com in June, right after SA Laser! I've requested pricing for all the kits from GMK and expect to have GB pricing available internally very soon for me to review. Colevrak and International (formerly known as NorDeUK) have been moved out of maybe and I expect these to be available in the drop. I might remove the Alt Graph keys from the International kit though (I requested pricing for with and without and will decide if the price difference is worth it). The MOQ for Colevrak and International will probably start at 75 units, so EU/weirdos, prepare your wallets please and prove to me that there is still enough demand for these layouts!

I will soon be adding Assembly based renders too (Ergodox/Planck).

Regarding VIM, I've added it for now, but am still trying to figure out who originated the molds. I'll be offering this kit once I've made sure I have proper permission to run it. So this one is technically a MAYBE kit.

Offline kolyz

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Launches June 2019 on Drop.com
« Reply #1310 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 15:07:14 »
my wallet is ready.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #1311 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 15:22:39 »
”EU/weirdos, prepare your wallets please and prove to me that there is still enough demand for these layouts!”

Yes, sir!

Offline tronix_41

« Reply #1312 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 15:47:40 »
wallet is ready, let alt gr in please.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #1313 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 18:51:35 »
Damn it, I was hoping that it may take a bit more time. After SA Laser massacre, not sure my wallet can take another major hit. Time to sell a kidney.

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #1314 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 21:37:00 »

Music to my ears  :thumb:
Doesn't sound good on my wallet though.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #1315 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 00:38:31 »
Show Image

Update time: GMK Oblivion V2 will be available on Drop.com in June, right after SA Laser! I've requested pricing for all the kits from GMK and expect to have GB pricing available internally very soon for me to review. Colevrak and International (formerly known as NorDeUK) have been moved out of maybe and I expect these to be available in the drop. I might remove the Alt Graph keys from the International kit though (I requested pricing for with and without and will decide if the price difference is worth it). The MOQ for Colevrak and International will probably start at 75 units, so EU/weirdos, prepare your wallets please and prove to me that there is still enough demand for these layouts!

I will soon be adding Assembly based renders too (Ergodox/Planck).

Regarding VIM, I've added it for now, but am still trying to figure out who originated the molds. I'll be offering this kit once I've made sure I have proper permission to run it. So this one is technically a MAYBE kit.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cool cool cool cool, June here we come!

Offline thornkin

« Reply #1316 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 03:03:30 »
Excited to see the Vim kit.  Hopefully you can track down sufficient permission.  Thanks for pursuing this!

Laser ALT sporting red Sky Pandas

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1317 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 15:28:41 »
Just wanted to share a nice render

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 May 2019, 06:55:19 by Oblotzky »

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #1318 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 16:39:40 »
Any news on using Drops EU warehouse to avoid +30% customs?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1319 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 16:44:13 »

(Mass)Drop prices are VAT exclusive, you wouldn't be avoiding VAT with a EU warehouse, they'd charge it additional then. You only save the slightly cheaper shipping (16$ from US is pretty good, you'd pay like 10$ within EU still), and whatever processing fee your customs office charges for handling the package. You wouldn't be saving 30%.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1320 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 16:48:06 »

(Mass)Drop prices are VAT exclusive, you wouldn't be avoiding VAT with a EU warehouse, they'd charge it additional then. You only save the slightly cheaper shipping (16$ from US is pretty good, you'd pay like 10$ within EU still), and whatever processing fee your customs office charges for handling the package. You wouldn't be saving 30%.

lol euros
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ctrlshiftba

• ctrlshiftba
« Reply #1321 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 18:01:02 »
Looks great excited for this one!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1322 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 05:32:29 »
Don't let your dreams be just dreams.

Offline skmn

« Reply #1323 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 07:18:56 »
so EU/weirdos, prepare your wallets please and prove to me that there is still enough demand for these layouts!

I will probably get a few international kits just to help it succeed. Really hope it hits MOQ since it's a beautiful set!

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #1324 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 08:16:19 »

lol euros

IF Massdrop will start to use a EU warehouse, don't we also NOT PAY the whole logistic and shipping between EU and US (also there isn't a small import tax between eu-us which we also stop paying?)
Also, if MD opens the eu warehouse, don't they also pick a country with low VAT? (e.g. 18%/19% vat). Yeah we pay VAT, but should be lower than usual and without custom import tax (e.g. italy has custom import tax + VAT + whatever customs or couriers feel to charge in that moment additionally). 
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 May 2019, 08:18:52 by KaosJ »

Offline rbb

« Reply #1325 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 14:04:14 »
Could you post some information about the hagoromo colors?

I'm considering getting a set of those by themselves and match them up with modifiers from a different set.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1326 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 14:11:12 »

I'm considering getting a set of those by themselves and match them up with modifiers from a different set.

Base color is CP from GMK's standard colors, the legends are GR9, which is the custom gray mixed for the gray alphas of round 1, which was then also used in GMK Space Cadet.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #1327 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 14:19:26 »

The set is color matched to these Signature Plastics colorchips, except Hagaromo, which is GMK's CP

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
« Reply #1328 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 10:28:37 »
Drop the numpad and make it a kit. Get that base price down boi. :)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1329 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 10:30:41 »
Drop the numpad and make it a kit. Get that base price down boi. :)

We have 13 kits already, I'll pass. By the same logic I should remove the specialties too. (Mass)Drop has a huge audience of 'normies' who will need that numpad, they need just as much love as the non-standard enthusiasts.

Offline fractl

« Reply #1330 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 11:13:28 »
Being a comparative newcomer to this hobby, I wasn't familiar with this keyset in any detail prior to the April Fools post.  Despite it being a purposeless exercise the motivation for which still perplexes me, I at least assumed that someone wouldn't fabricate something that complex unless, at the very least, it provided a accurate representation and preview of what the drop was really going to offer.  I was very pleased to see that there was an option that would allow me to outfit a Preonic without spending lots of money on keycaps I would never use, and have waited for information on the proper group buy.  Now, I see that the previous 'joke' was not only a pointless exercise, but it in no way accurately represented what I would be able to do in regard to my Preonic.  Yeah, sure it was a 'joke', so I shouldn't have based my expectations on it, but it still boggles my mind that someone would go through all that effort just to produce a representation of a GB that makes the real group buy disappointing in comparison.  Having to justify the time and expense that goes into fixating on little pieces of plastic that go on a keyboard is enough work given all the more serious concerns in life, but this just makes me truly wonder why I bother.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1331 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 11:55:38 »
Being a comparative newcomer to this hobby, I wasn't familiar with this keyset in any detail prior to the April Fools post.  Despite it being a purposeless exercise the motivation for which still perplexes me, I at least assumed that someone wouldn't fabricate something that complex unless, at the very least, it provided a accurate representation and preview of what the drop was really going to offer.  I was very pleased to see that there was an option that would allow me to outfit a Preonic without spending lots of money on keycaps I would never use, and have waited for information on the proper group buy.  Now, I see that the previous 'joke' was not only a pointless exercise, but it in no way accurately represented what I would be able to do in regard to my Preonic.  Yeah, sure it was a 'joke', so I shouldn't have based my expectations on it, but it still boggles my mind that someone would go through all that effort just to produce a representation of a GB that makes the real group buy disappointing in comparison.  Having to justify the time and expense that goes into fixating on little pieces of plastic that go on a keyboard is enough work given all the more serious concerns in life, but this just makes me truly wonder why I bother.

Heyo, sorry that the April Fools disappointed you, that was clearly not my intention. I just wanted to do something absurd/crazy for a day by dropping all rules that I have to abide by while creating this keyset and just dream up what the GB could look like if there were no such limits. Just like how tech companies ignore the technological limits of today and dream up Holodeck projects or otherwise unrealistic products. They were never meant to be a representation of what the company actually brings to market later in the year.

It may have seemed like a 'pointless exercise' to you, but it was actually quite helpful in figuring out peoples preferences to Alpha colors and Modifiers style, and proved that my approach of having a Base Kit with Gray Alphas and Git Modifiers was the right way to go, see https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99174.msg2745200#msg2745200.

You were not alone in voicing negative feedback, which was to be expected, but seeing that there were plenty of people enjoying the project, and what I was able to gather from the responses, I feel comfortable in saying that it was a good April Fools and don't regret doing it.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #1332 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 12:20:43 »

[...]
Just like how tech companies ignore the technological limits of today and dream up Holodeck projects or otherwise unrealistic products.
[...]

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1333 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 12:26:06 »

[...]
Just like how tech companies ignore the technological limits of today and dream up Holodeck projects or otherwise unrealistic products.
[...]

Show Image

Sorry I forgot about Magic Leap there for a second

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1334 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 15:32:52 »

put your thesaurus away
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #1335 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 16:45:06 »

put your thesaurus away

Now now.  No need to be contumelious.

Offline monkt

« Reply #1336 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 18:10:28 »

put your thesaurus away

Now now.  No need to be contumelious.

Yeah, there’s not actually any big words there. We’re just not used to people being articulate around here. Cut the guy some slack for being able to communicate in complete, meaningful sentences. Whether or not you agree with his complaint is a whole different story.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #1337 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 08:13:22 »
Hey Oblotzky, would you consider changing the Page↵Up and Page↵Down legends to Pg Up and Pg Dn? With this small change, all the legends in the Git base kit would be single-line, which looks cleaner imo.

The Regular mods kit has Num↵Lock and Caps↵Lock (stepped). You could replace these legends with Num and Caps, respectively, to be consistent with the above changes. Finally, while you're at it, consider using Scroll instead of Lock, since the latter is a bit ambiguous: there are three Locks on the board, but only one Scroll Lock.

This is how Janglad did the legends on his recent sets, and I think it works and looks great.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 08:27:22 by constexpr »

Offline lady_renari

« Reply #1338 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 09:50:56 »
Definitely in for the monochrome mods.  Might get a base kit too, but not sure on that yet. 

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1339 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 09:55:08 »
Hey Oblotzky, would you consider changing the Page↵Up and Page↵Down legends to Pg Up and Pg Dn? With this small change, all the legends in the Git base kit would be single-line, which looks cleaner imo.

The Regular mods kit has Num↵Lock and Caps↵Lock (stepped). You could replace these legends with Num and Caps, respectively, to be consistent with the above changes. Finally, while you're at it, consider using Scroll instead of Lock, since the latter is a bit ambiguous: there are three Locks on the board, but only one Scroll Lock.

This is how Janglad did the legends on his recent sets, and I think it works and looks great.

I'd change it to Scroll Lock if anything, since Num Lock and Caps Lock are written out too that would make sense. However I prefer those 3 buttons at the top to be all single line, so it's a bit of a predicament. I don't like just Caps on a 1.75 key when there's enough room for the rest of the legend. It's one of those things that I ponder on for nights but end up making no final decision on really.

Page Up and Page Down will remain written out, I dislike abbreviations. And a written out single line could only be either Page on both or Up and Down, but neither would make sense.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 09:57:19 by Oblotzky »

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #1340 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 07:34:55 »
Minor semantic quibble: "VIM" is more correctly written "Vim", even though it's technically a contraction, like "scuba", "radar", and "laser".

Writing "VIM" is like writing "Alps" as "ALPS" or "ALPs".
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1341 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 08:09:14 »
Minor semantic quibble: "VIM" is more correctly written "Vim", even though it's technically a contraction, like "scuba", "radar", and "laser".

Writing "VIM" is like writing "Alps" as "ALPS" or "ALPs".

Yeah I should change that, thought about it but was lazy changing.

Offline DePulse

« Reply #1342 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 08:38:05 »
Are these looking to drop early june?  :-X

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #1343 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 08:44:17 »
Are these looking to drop early june?  :-X

Yes. As soon as SA Laser is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline quitraging

« Reply #1344 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 09:36:30 »
Alt Gr is a must.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1345 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 09:57:42 »
Alt Gr is a must.

but it does the same thing whether or not you have the legend

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #1346 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 10:10:57 »
Alt Gr is a must.

Then what's the point of custom keysets at all.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1347 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 10:13:02 »
Alt Gr is a must.

Then what's the point of custom keysets at all.

red and blank is all we ever need

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #1348 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 10:14:34 »
Alt Gr is a must.

NORDEUK has tertiary legends. Therefore, the inclussion of Alt Gr is a must.

Offline Kaktus

« Reply #1349 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 12:03:55 »
@Oblotzky do you already know if there will be moq's on the kits? Cause Mito from SA Laser said that his kit that's currently on sale doesn't have any MOQ's to reach. Every kit is going to be produced regardless of the quantity.