Author Topic: Atreus, a column-staggered 40%  (Read 159588 times)

Offline aalbinger

Re: Atreus, a column-staggered 40%
« Reply #250 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 22:44:58 »
I haven't completely cleaned/optimized it, but this should let you do a test print of the plate (or the rest of it).  Variables up top are set to some okay defaults.  Edit the stuff near the bottom to print specific pieces.  For the sake of printability I didn't stack all of the layers (to prevent overhangs/support).  Just for fun I uploaded it to Shapeways, which quotes it at about $135; I think I'll stick with my lasercut parts or printing it myself :P

I like it.  The reason I combined the upper parts was to get enough thickness to bond them together.  To deal with overhangs I've used support in simplify3d.  So far things have printed fairly well.

As to the pricing I agree that Shapeways is spendy.  I haven't priced it with any local 3dhubs but since I have my own printer the cost to print it is somewhat negligible.

Thanks for the files.  I'll probably print them out and compare both versions while awaiting the arrival of my Cherry MX switches.

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #251 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 10:31:25 »
I haven't completely cleaned/optimized it, but this should let you do a test print of the plate (or the rest of it).  Variables up top are set to some okay defaults.  Edit the stuff near the bottom to print specific pieces.  For the sake of printability I didn't stack all of the layers (to prevent overhangs/support).  Just for fun I uploaded it to Shapeways, which quotes it at about $135; I think I'll stick with my lasercut parts or printing it myself :P

I like it.  The reason I combined the upper parts was to get enough thickness to bond them together.  To deal with overhangs I've used support in simplify3d.  So far things have printed fairly well.

As to the pricing I agree that Shapeways is spendy.  I haven't priced it with any local 3dhubs but since I have my own printer the cost to print it is somewhat negligible.

Thanks for the files.  I'll probably print them out and compare both versions while awaiting the arrival of my Cherry MX switches.

I am excited to see the out come of this. Do you think this is a viable option for a case? How long do you think something of this construction can last?

Offline cy384

• cy384
« Reply #252 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 16:44:46 »
I am excited to see the out come of this. Do you think this is a viable option for a case? How long do you think something of this construction can last?

In terms of durability, I think it's similar to a laser-cut case, maybe a little tougher since there would be fewer layered pieces.  If you have a printer (or have a close friend willing to do a ton of printing for you), it's a reasonable alternative.  It seems like roughly $5 in plastic and 25 hours for the whole thing on my crappy printer.  Personally, if I were to make another Atreus, I'd go for laser-cut parts, since I think it looks nicer.

Offline aalbinger

« Reply #253 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 19:50:02 »
Acetone bonding of the ABS seems to have worked very well.

Brushed a layer into each pin hole, onto each pin, and onto one face of the joint and then quickly stuck the halves together.  Within about 20 seconds I let go and they were solidly put together.

After that I flipped the part over, brushed acetone on the joint on the bottom and stuck one of my extruder test strips of ABS into the joint.

The whole setup seems well bonded and very stable.  I guess now I hurry up and wait for my Cherry MX switches and diodes.
-Andrew

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 23:19:18 »
very cool man!!!!!!!

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #255 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 11:30:57 »
Ok, i need some help here. My atreus arrived today. All is soldered up and each and every key works. Since i can't read (so it seems) i soldered my PCB backwards  :confused:
Soo, github says no problem. Just run make SWAPCOLUMNS=yes USB=...
i use Windows to flash. I used the default qwerty via AVRDUDE. I have WinAVR installed. I don't run a make command through AVRDUDE. How do i go about the Column swap on Windows?

Edit: Ok, make is working (kind of). I downloaded the complete firmware, cd into the directory via admin cmd and type make. All i get is errors. If i understand all that correctly i need to specify the target. On Windows /dev/usb... is not available. How do i get the right target (COM6 in my case) to the make command?

Edit: alright guys, i got it to work finally. The makefile had a cp command in it, that didnt work. Fixed it and am now able to compile the firmware. So this is actually the first thing i ever typed on my atreus. Im insanely slow atm, but i already love the backspace placement. Now i just need to find out if i want to switch to dvorak at the same time... :p
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2016, 12:41:55 by domsch1988 »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #256 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 18:51:41 »
That's great you got it to work. Welcome to the Atreus Club!

Offline technomancy

« Reply #257 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:47:43 »
Edit: alright guys, i got it to work finally. The makefile had a cp command in it, that didnt work. Fixed it and am now able to compile the firmware. So this is actually the first thing i ever typed on my atreus. Im insanely slow atm, but i already love the backspace placement. Now i just need to find out if i want to switch to dvorak at the same time... :p

Glad you got this working! If you can provide some detail about what it was in particular that you had trouble with, it would be helpful so that we can make the instructions clearer for others. I don't know much about Windows myself, so suggestions for improvement are very welcome.

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #258 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 02:28:52 »
Glad you got this working! If you can provide some detail about what it was in particular that you had trouble with, it would be helpful so that we can make the instructions clearer for others. I don't know much about Windows myself, so suggestions for improvement are very welcome.

In the makefile it says:
layout.h: $(LAYOUT_DEPENDS)
   -cp -n  layout_qwerty.h layout.h

in the case of windows, the -n option is not available. After deleting it, everything went fine. Maybe you could also get a little more in depth on WinAVR. Its rather easy to use, but you could write down that you have to open a command prompt, go to the atreus project folder and run make. Apart from that, everything went really smooth. Im really happy with how it turned out. Ill now order some birdseye maple veneer to make it look better. Maybe some staining and clearcoating and this things a looker  :D

Man, the layer definition is getting me. I tried to insert a 3rd layer. I set one key to call PRE_FUNCTION(3) and defined the layer3 array. All it does is crashing the chip. I then have to unplug the board and plug it in again. Any help on getting a second momentary layer to work? And can someone tell me how to get layer two to act momentarily rather than locking?
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 05:16:31 by domsch1988 »

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #259 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 01:11:30 »
Is no-one able to help me out on my layer Problem? Not having a second momentary layer is really the only thing holding me back in using the atreus as my daily driver at work. For most things its fine currently, but i have to keep a full size near by for some of the more obscure characters... Should i just switch to tmk firmware? And if so, does tmk support the pcb flip or would i have to program the board backwards?

Offline technomancy

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 01:38:13 »
Is no-one able to help me out on my layer Problem? Not having a second momentary layer is really the only thing holding me back in using the atreus as my daily driver at work. For most things its fine currently, but i have to keep a full size near by for some of the more obscure characters... Should i just switch to tmk firmware? And if so, does tmk support the pcb flip or would i have to program the board backwards?

Oh sorry; I thought I already mentioned this but maybe it was in another thread. Adding multiple momentary layers to the atreus-firmware codebase is non-trivial. I would highly recommend moving to TMK; it does have support for the reversed PCB pinout; check the readme.

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #261 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 01:42:22 »
Oh sorry; I thought I already mentioned this but maybe it was in another thread. Adding multiple momentary layers to the atreus-firmware codebase is non-trivial. I would highly recommend moving to TMK; it does have support for the reversed PCB pinout; check the readme.
Thank you for your help  :thumb: Im slowly getting the hang of the 40% idea. I need to shuffle some things around, but until now the general concept has been nothing but awesome. I would like to thank you again for improving my workspace just that little bit more  ;D Now on to finding caps  :))

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #262 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 08:11:42 »
So, instead of shuffling the whole layout around, i just took the plunge and switched too Dvorak. From my usual 80 words per minute i got down to 9... After 1 hour of serious practice, I'm back to around 20 if i really concentrate. After 15 Minutes my head is spinning from trying to not type qwerty   :confused:
I think your Dvorak Layout is way better for german typing than the default one. The symbol placement is more logical too. Really impressive  :thumb:

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 21:13:28 »
So i have decided i want a much more durable one, instead of wood, i really like the atreus, its a truly genius layout, but the wood thing is making me scared to travel with it, i traveled with it for the first time last week and i kept checking if it was ok. it also makes a wood flexing sound if i put enough pressure on the board, i know its not breaking but it is sometimes like fingernails on a chalkboard

what i would like to do is have it like the ergodox infinity and have a metal plate with the rest of the sandwich being acrylic, its an extremely solid set up that way with no flex.

but i have no idea how i would go about getting that done, especially the metal plate, or how much it would cost.

Offline technomancy

« Reply #264 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 21:02:51 »
So i have decided i want a much more durable one, instead of wood, i really like the atreus, its a truly genius layout, but the wood thing is making me scared to travel with it, i traveled with it for the first time last week and i kept checking if it was ok. it also makes a wood flexing sound if i put enough pressure on the board, i know its not breaking but it is sometimes like fingernails on a chalkboard

I haven't done any work with metal, but you should talk to platypus; I think he has either had one cut or at least priced it out.

If it's just a matter of strength, firstly remember that the amount of force the board is subjected to is proportional to its size. A larger board needs more strength because the force put on it at the edge can have a greater effect due to leverage, whereas with a small board there is very little leverage. Secondly I would consider acrylic; if you have a plate cut in 4.5mm acrylic (as my first prototype had) it will be extremely sturdy. You could even do a 6mm plate, though I'm not sure that will work with the PCB; the pins might not poke through enough. I have done it in the past, but only hand-wired.

But if you do get something made in metal, I would definitely be interested in hearing about it.

Offline technomancy

« Reply #265 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:01:45 »
but i have no idea how i would go about getting that done, especially the metal plate, or how much it would cost.

I talked to platypus, and he said that http://www.bigbluesaw.com/ is probably your best bet if you don't have anything local.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 01:13:20 »

I talked to platypus, and he said that http://www.bigbluesaw.com/ is probably your best bet if you don't have anything local.
Thanks, I'll look into this hopefully soon.

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #267 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 02:35:00 »
Im thinking about joining the current drop for the Tai Hao Caps. Apart from being  to many and wrong legends, the stem should fit, shouldn't it?

Offline prod

« Reply #268 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 01:43:21 »
Last year I happened to find a photo of Atreus,whitch quite appealed to me because of its appreance and practical design.So if you allow,I will ask my friend redesign an Atreus with Kimera Core PCB (the Kimera Core also used in Golbat:https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78080) ,which,I think,will be more than fascinating.  ;D
Chicory|YDPv2(BLUP)|BLE40|Daisy|YDPM|YD40w|Golbat

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 19:01:11 »
Last year I happened to find a photo of Atreus,whitch quite appealed to me because of its appreance and practical design.So if you allow,I will ask my friend redesign an Atreus with Kimera Core PCB (the Kimera Core also used in Golbat:https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78080) ,which,I think,will be more than fascinating.  ;D

That sounds awesome, Like to know technomancy's thought on his design being used.

also be pretty cool if got the Atreus in aluminum sandwich case like they did with the Golbat, the atreus is such a good design, i think it would be popular.

Still using mine as my primary keyboard for the most part, its my favorite keyboard, i am still disliking the wood and want a metal atreus but i need to hold off on spending anymore money for a little bit.

Offline prod

« Reply #270 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 07:23:25 »

That sounds awesome, Like to know technomancy's thought on his design being used.

also be pretty cool if got the Atreus in aluminum sandwich case like they did with the Golbat, the atreus is such a good design, i think it would be popular.

Still using mine as my primary keyboard for the most part, its my favorite keyboard, i am still disliking the wood and want a metal atreus but i need to hold off on spending anymore money for a little bit.

I think you might misunderstand me.I did not plan to sell "Atreus with Kimera Core" PCB openly right now.My intention is to make a batch for myself and my friends.
Neither will I do Aluminum Sandwich Case,I planned to make Carbon Sandwich Case for myself,just like my golbat in the photo blew.Maybe CNC Anodized Aluminum Case is also a possible choice,if my friend is also interesting in Atreus.
I just saw technomancy share his source file on github.I think it's a pity that pcb in his Kicad file is not compatible with full LED.Since I used Kimera Core b4,and found it very convenient for DIY,So hereby I kindly ask if technomancy will allow me to improve Atreus PCB.

129613-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2016, 07:37:52 by prod »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 08:58:05 »

I think you might misunderstand me.I did not plan to sell "Atreus with Kimera Core" PCB openly right now.My intention is to make a batch for myself and my friends.
Neither will I do Aluminum Sandwich Case,I planned to make Carbon Sandwich Case for myself,just like my golbat in the photo blew.Maybe CNC Anodized Aluminum Case is also a possible choice,if my friend is also interesting in Atreus.
I just saw technomancy share his source file on github.I think it's a pity that pcb in his Kicad file is not compatible with full LED.Since I used Kimera Core b4,and found it very convenient for DIY,So hereby I kindly ask if technomancy will allow me to improve Atreus PCB.

(Attachment Link)

i understood what you meant, i was saying that it would be great if that would lead to something like golbat case because i think it would sell, i know understood that you were just talking about the PCB, i am just having wishful thinking.

Offline technomancy

« Reply #272 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 05:58:04 »

Sure; as you probably know the license for the Atreus is GPLv3, so as long as your derivative uses the same license, it is legally fair game. But I appreciate you asking. It sounds like the main motivation for this is to support LEDs in each key?

I read through the GolBat page, but I couldn't find many details about the PCB other than the diodes and resistors are soldered in at the factory, and that it is only compatible with Cherry MX. I think it would be a much improved design if it allowed for Alps too, but that is up to you. The Atreus also is a good dealer simpler and more sturdy due to the way the head of the USB cable is housed inside the case rather than having an exposed mini-usb port in the pictures there, so I would recommend keeping that feature, but of course you're free to do whatever you want with it.

Another thing I couldn't find was what kind of controller it uses. Does it have an Atmega32u4 SMD-mounted to it from the factory?

Anyway, it is an intriguing project. Please do keep us in the loop about the progress.

Offline prod

Atreus, a column-staggered 40%
« Reply #273 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 06:22:39 »
Here is the sample PCB of Atreus with Kimera Core.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 06:55:01 by prod »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #274 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 18:56:57 »
Cool

Offline Rhedone

« Reply #275 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 06:13:55 »
Here is the sample PCB of Atreus with Kimera Core.

I dont know if anyone has commented this but if you split this PCB in half it could be a perfect base for a oobly keyboard type build.
Just add some angled thumbclusters and wire the two PCB's together

Offline technomancy

« Reply #276 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 04:42:06 »
I dont know if anyone has commented this but if you split this PCB in half it could be a perfect base for a oobly keyboard type build.
Just add some angled thumbclusters and wire the two PCB's together

The OneHand is already split and would be good for what you describe: https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/onehand-20-keyboard-t6617.html

Offline technomancy

« Reply #277 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 23:33:56 »
After gathering some valuable feedback from the community, I've revised the assembly instructions, available here: https://atreus.technomancy.us/assembly.pdf The main change is that the PCB is installed with the labeled side up instead of facing down. This is especially helpful for the Matias switches, which benefit more from being snug against the plate since they don't have mounting posts in them. I also improved the method for connecting the controller; it is much easier and doesn't require pinching as you solder.

I've also completed the transition to TMK as the default firmware and rewritten the firmware readme: https://github.com/technomancy/tmk_keyboard/blob/atreus/keyboard/atreus/README.md There's now a download page on the site if you just want precompiled firmware you can upload with avrdude if you want to skip installing the full compiler suite: https://atreus.technomancy.us/download

I'm very much interested in getting feedback for clarity on these documents if anyone is interested in giving them a once-over. I hope that it will improve the construction experience, especially for more nontechnical folks.

Offline Columnaire

« Reply #278 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 22:10:11 »
Hi, if you don't mind me jumping into this thread before it dies, I'm wondering if you ever figured out how to do a "layer lock" function in TMK? I am working on a layout for my Ergodox EZ. What I want is, if I press both Shift keys at the same time, then Caps Lock would engage. Likewise, I have a pair of buttons to engage a layer, and if I press both of them I'd like it to lock to that layer until I press both buttons again.

Offline technomancy

« Reply #279 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 08:02:43 »
I'm wondering if you ever figured out how to do a "layer lock" function in TMK? I am working on a layout for my Ergodox EZ. What I want is, if I press both Shift keys at the same time, then Caps Lock would engage. Likewise, I have a pair of buttons to engage a layer, and if I press both of them I'd like it to lock to that layer until I press both buttons again.

You can certainly do layer lock; I've done it, and it is very straightforward. But I don't think you can do it with shift keys; they have to be fn keys. Maybe you could do it by faking it out where it's secretly an fn key, but it just changes you to another layer where all the keys are just shifted versions of what they would be otherwise?

Offline Columnaire

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 22:26:47 »
I mostly got what I wanted using multiple layers -- I think it's the same as what you describe.

The Ergodox has four long buttons on the outside edge of each side of the keyboard, and I have the first three set as Shift/Layer1/Layer2. But if I press the topmost button, then the other three switch to become locking shift keys -- Caps Lock/Layer1 Lock/Layer2 Lock. But the shift actions and the lock actions couldn't actually lead to the same layer because they require different return actions. So I ended up with two Layer1s (A and B) and two Layer2s. Sort of hackish but functionally similar to my initial vision. It's hard to let go of the intuitive reasonableness that pressing both of a shift key would act as a lock.

Offline mteinum

« Reply #281 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 15:40:19 »
Hi!

The plan so far:

1. Downloaded the eps file from cy384 (http://www.cy384.com/projects/atreus-keyboard.html) and ordered an acrylic print from ponoko
2. Ordered a slimmed down kit from technomancy
3. Zealio switches: R3 GB https://zealpc.net/products/zealio?variant=6502846147
4. Keycaps: DSA PBT http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-pbt-abs-blank-keycap-sets/
5. ZUS Kevlar USB cable https://igg.me/at/zuskevlarcable/x/10038930

Then... was looking for an alternative switch plate. Big Blue Saw has a sale on 0.125 alu, and I can get all the parts build for $59.80. Will it work? Should I do it?  :-\  0.125" = 3.175mm and that's a bit thicker than the 3mm acrylic.

I have used the atreus_case.scad file from github (https://github.com/technomancy/atreus/tree/master/case/openscad) rendered with OpenSCAD (version 2015.03-3) on OSX, exported to DXF and uploaded to BSS (resized the file from in to mm on the upload page)

139822-0

139824-1

"Keyboard for self-defence"
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 June 2016, 16:32:13 by mteinum »

Offline mteinum

« Reply #282 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 16:50:41 »

EDIT:

It looks like I need another spacer layer?

With two spacer layers we are talking $68.40

Added this to the scad file:

Code: [Select]
/* double spacer */
translate([300, 300]) {
  if (quarter_spacer == true) {
    quartered_spacer();
  }
  else {
    spacer();
  }
}

139838-0

139862-1

139840-2

139842-3

---

I have to fill this with rama caps...

139844-4

http://rama.works/store/rama-al-w-space-grey-kc-mx

Hello $1k-eyboard
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 June 2016, 17:59:11 by mteinum »

Offline adamking0126

« Reply #283 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:41:13 »
Hey y'all, I'm interested in the Atreus and like the idea of a totally hackable keyboard.  I'd like to build one but add a 3.5mm jack (or two) for foot switches.  How feasible is this?  I can follow instructions but I'm not really an electronic tinkerer-type.  What do you think?

Offline technomancy

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 20:45:13 »
Hey y'all, I'm interested in the Atreus and like the idea of a totally hackable keyboard.  I'd like to build one but add a 3.5mm jack (or two) for foot switches.  How feasible is this?  I can follow instructions but I'm not really an electronic tinkerer-type.  What do you think?

Interesting plan. Electrically there is absolutely nothing difficult about this; the problem is finding a good way to mount it to the case, since it's cut from pieces of flat wood. This is why the head of the USB cable is secured inside the Atreus case rather than having a USB port exposed. Of course if you don't mind having another wire hanging out from the case at all times it'd be easy on the Atreus side. (Might still be tricky designing the foot pedal.) I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about this if you decide to pursue it; it's a great idea.

Offline adamking0126

« Reply #285 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 19:30:26 »
Cool I'll buy the kit in the next few weeks probably.  I was thinking that I'd just take my coping saw and cut a couple extra notches in the spacer.  I'll wire up a couple USB breakout boards and then make my own little micro-usb to 3.5mm mono audio cable adapters which will just always live on the end of the foot pedal cable. 

I'm thinking about this foot switch which uses a mono 3.5mm plug
https://www.amazon.com/StealthSwitch-FS-2-Foot-Pedal-Footswitch/dp/B00QJCAZ1M/ref=pd_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=512Z02K6%2B8L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=EDECGY296TJSPV481XPD

How would I wire in the jacks to the existing matrix?  That's the part I don't really understand.

I appreciate your help with this.
Adam

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2016, 21:23:01 by adamking0126 »

Offline technomancy

« Reply #286 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 21:16:08 »
I'll wire up a couple USB breakout boards and then make my own little micro-usb to 3.5mm mono audio cable adapters which will just always live on the end of the foot pedal cable.

I don't think wiring it into USB is a good idea; I would wire the 3.5mm jack straight into the controller. Ideally I'd use a TRRS jack so if you decide to change the foot switch to a double one in the future you don't have to re-wire it. USB should only be used connecting to the computer.

I'm thinking about this foot switch which uses a mono 3.5mm plug, although now that I look at it again, I see it's "momentary" so maybe I need to look elsewhere.

How would I wire in the jacks to the existing matrix?  That's the part I don't really understand.

Well, all the keys in the keyboard already are momentary, but if you want a "caps lock" style foot switch then you'll need one that isn't momentary.

There are a few free pins that aren't connected on the controller board; take a look at PB1, PB2, and PB3 at the bottom middle here: http://atreus.technomancy.us/astar.jpg Most of the keys are wired into a column and a row pin, but in this case if you're only adding 1-3 new switches, you have the luxury of dedicating an entire pin to each switch. So you'd wire one end of the switch into one of these pins and the other into ground. Then in the firmware you'd add a description for a new row with the relevant pins; when the switch is pressed those pins would be connected to ground, which registers them as down.

You could make these changes in TMK, but if you aren't planning on using any of the advanced TMK features it might be easier to add them in the old atreus-firmware codebase, since it's a lot easier to understand.

Offline adamking0126

« Reply #287 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 21:27:29 »
RE: momentary switches, yeah I was just reading about that and edited my question.  I was thinking that "momentary" meant that it only activated for a moment (ie you couldn't hold it down).

My thinking about the USB was it's a thinner profile and you can get them with holes so you could screw it into the wood:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1833?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhtO7BRCtwuO9gfTH-fQBEiQAdJ8FY2PzlNASZ6cHzrXd1QzJDwss5zjFIFr_8l_Dz6Vhtc8aAugg8P8HAQ

Because the thickness of a 3.5mm headphone jack alone is already bigger than the spacer, I'd imagine I'd be whittling away some of the layers of wood to allow for the jack to fit in.

Thanks for the advice about the PCB - I'll reread that and take a look once I get the kit.

Adam

Offline technomancy

« Reply #288 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 21:51:03 »
My thinking about the USB was it's a thinner profile and you can get them with holes so you could screw it into the wood:

Oh, I see; you're thinking of how to mount it into the wood. Yeah a 3.5mm jack is probably not best for that, but I think you can find something better than USB. Then again, I've never tried mounting a port into a wooden case; if I were doing it I'd probably just allow the cable to dangle out of the case a bit and add some strain relief. But if you think you can make it work with the USB port, you can try it.

Offline mteinum

« Reply #289 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 06:42:20 »
Status so far:

• Base Atreus kit - check
  • Case from Big Blue Saw in 6061 0.125" aluminium - check
  • Black acrylic layer from ponoko.com - check
  • Shine up aluminium - TODO
  • DSA PBT caps from PMK - check
  • Switches - in transit
  • Kevlar USB cable - soon shipping from supplier
  • Hex socket screws - in transit

Weight without switches, but with keycaps; 615 grams

It feels quite solid!  :p

Atreus: Big Blue Saw case by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

---

Test photo with the key caps on (no switches, ... well one)

Atreus: key caps without switches by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

Atreus: key caps without switches by Morten Teinum, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2016, 08:06:00 by mteinum »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #290 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 07:24:20 »
My gosh, that looks really cool. Nice job.

Offline mteinum

« Reply #291 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 08:40:57 »
My gosh, that looks really cool. Nice job.

Yes! Well, except from soldering the diodes and controller I have mostly been waiting for parts to arrive. Building keyboards is not for the impatient.

I like the rough look of the aluminium. You wonder what jet this was stolen from.

Offline technomancy

« Reply #292 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 08:41:40 »
What a beauty. Can't wait to see the final product.

Offline mteinum

« Reply #293 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 19:03:56 »
Here we go!

My first DIY keyboard

Atreus by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

Still waiting for the Kevlar cable, but the kit ed. is fine for now. Next out: Print the cheat sheet

Offline mteinum

« Reply #294 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 12:40:44 »
With the rubber feets provided with the kit, it stands rock-solid on my mac. Typing is still a bit slow, but the clue card is of great help.

Atreus on Macbook by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 07:37:37 »
With the rubber feets provided with the kit, it stands rock-solid on my mac. Typing is still a bit slow, but the clue card is of great help.

Show Image

Atreus on Macbook by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

What switches did you put innit?

I also see that you have HHKB :D Are they better than normal mech switches?

Offline mteinum

« Reply #296 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 08:26:49 »

What switches did you put innit?

I also see that you have HHKB :D Are they better than normal mech switches?

Black Cherry MX (linear) for modifiers, Zealios 62g (tactile) for the rest.

Did also changed the DSA caps with Modern Selectric SA. This was a huge upgrade when it comes to typing comfort.

Atreus - Modern Selectric (SA) by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

HHKB/Topre

I use the BT as my primary keyboard at work (telco, programming). Very smooth, tactile feeling and with a reasonable amount of noise :) Better? That's no easy question to answer.

Offline Ari Gold

« Reply #297 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 10:03:26 »
Anyway, it is an intriguing project. Please do keep us in the loop about the progress.

I wish he kept us updated a little more with his project :(

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #298 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 09:44:54 »
Arg, I can't get this keeb out of my head. I have to get this at some point. Phil, do you still do cherry plates? you don't have any cherry blacks do you?

Offline technomancy

« Reply #299 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 10:39:29 »
Arg, I can't get this keeb out of my head. I have to get this at some point. Phil, do you still do cherry plates? you don't have any cherry blacks do you?

I am keeping cherry-compatible cases in stock precisely for crazy GHers like yourself who have very specific switch preferences! =D

I don't have any cherry caps or switches in stock, but if you want a partial kit where you supply your own, you can order that on the web site. Just specify in the shipping field that you want the case to be cherry-compatible.