Author Topic: Atreus, a column-staggered 40%  (Read 159594 times)

Offline menuhin

Re: Atreus, a column-staggered 40%
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 12:39:47 »
I once considered an Atreus because of its ortholinear and natural hand positioning and its compact size. However, I haven't tried a 40% yet and I haven't tried any ortholinear either.

There are Atreus builds out there that remind me of my interest towards it from time to time. Such as this custom bluetooth build:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3sgld5/finished_my_custom_bluetooth_atreus/
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 November 2016, 19:46:45 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #301 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 19:02:36 »
Oh, and I also wanted to ask if you have any darker woods? I really like darker coloured woods :) and what caps do you think I should get? Should I just get blanks for the bottom row?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #302 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 19:03:24 »
I once considered a Atreus because of its ortholinear and natural hand positioning and its compact size. However, I haven't tried a 40% yet and I haven't tried any ortholinear either.

There are Atreus builds out there that remind me of my interest towards it from time to time. Such as this custom bluetooth build:
Show Image

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3sgld5/finished_my_custom_bluetooth_atreus/

I saw that, it's really awesome, truly portable!

Offline technomancy

« Reply #303 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 19:36:51 »
Oh, and I also wanted to ask if you have any darker woods?

This is the darkest kind I keep in stock. If you put a note in your shipping field about it when you place an order, I'll get you this kind of case: https://www.flickr.com/photos/technomancy/17305142932

Of course you can stain it darker if you prefer too but it's a bit more work: https://www.flickr.com/photos/technomancy/26704975535/

what caps do you think I should get? Should I just get blanks for the bottom row?

Well, you're never going to find labeled caps that work for the bottom row, so if you get legends for the other rows it's going to be hard to find something that matches and looks nice. That's why I recommend blanks all the way.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #304 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 18:37:19 »
Aha, blanks! I assume dsa and g20 blanks are good for Atreus? What profile goes with it?

I saw this in your photos (I swear I'm not stalking you) https://www.flickr.com/photos/technomancy/30438404270/in/dateposted/ and it looks sooooo good. I really can't wait to get my own. Now I'm just considering what switches to get.

Offline consolation

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 04:36:32 »
Does the partial kit contain everything you need if you bring your own switches and caps? Are there cherry kits still in stock?

Offline menuhin

Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #307 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 18:06:57 »
Just found a variant:
Show Image

https://www.reddit.com/r/olkb/comments/5alrtw/my_new_keyboard_a_cross_between_the_planck_and/

okay, I've seen a lot of 60% atreuses but this one tops them all. The layout looks great!

Offline technomancy

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 15:05:10 »
Does the partial kit contain everything you need if you bring your own switches and caps?

Apart from soldering gear and wire trimmers you need wood finishing supplies; I recommend buying spray lacquer but if you have your own preference for how to finish the wood that is fine too. There is sandpaper in the kit.

Are there cherry kits still in stock?

Cherry partial kits are in stock, but not any cherry keycaps or switches. In general everyone who wants a Cherry Atreus has really specific requirements, so it's less of a headache if they source those parts themselves.

Offline technomancy

« Reply #310 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 15:54:38 »
Hey everybody; just thought I'd let you know that I've added an option for presoldered Atreus kits to the order form.

The process of building a kit with a presoldered board is much easier; the only soldering you need to do is the switches. This is pretty simple to do and takes less than half an hour: https://atreus.technomancy.us/presoldered I'm hoping that this encourages others who might not otherwise feel confident in their soldering ability to build a keyboard.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #311 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 21:07:29 »
Do you by any chance, sell the PCB separately?
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline technomancy

« Reply #312 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 10:36:32 »
Do you by any chance, sell the PCB separately?

Yeah, I can sell it by itself for US$25. If you place an order on the site, just put a note in the shipping field with the specifics, or dm me if you have any other questions. I can sell a presoldered PCB (with the controller and diodes) too if you like.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #313 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 21:45:03 »

Xpost

Still looks fantastic. I did just opt for the atreus62. But I bring my matias one (not pictured) anytime I travel

Offline UncleGary

« Reply #314 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 13:35:12 »
Hey Technomancy, I got a couple Atreus kits from you a year ago and really enjoy them, but I wanted to know your thoughts on the best/most practical way for a user to implement bluetooth on one of these.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #315 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 11:34:43 »
Show Image

Xpost

Still looks fantastic. I did just opt for the atreus62. But I bring my matias one (not pictured) anytime I travel

How's the layout compared to Planck?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #316 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 11:41:05 »
I don't have a planck but I don't think I could do the way the Planck is set up, I need my wrists slightly angled or they hurt. The layout is fully functional and can handle multiple layers fine both momentary and persistant

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline nonah

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 11:30:55 »
Figured I should post my Trackpoint Atreus here  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 December 2016, 11:37:22 by nonah »

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #318 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 19:53:03 »

Wow that is really cool, are trackpoints supported in TMK/QMK?
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline nonah

« Reply #319 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 20:02:32 »

Kind of, the support is there if you dig into the firmware a bit, but it was pretty easy  :thumb:

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #320 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 00:52:57 »

Kind of, the support is there if you dig into the firmware a bit, but it was pretty easy  :thumb:

Love it! Got a build log?

Offline nonah

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 05:13:31 »
Love it! Got a build log?

Not really, but I have a couple of pictures so I might put something together  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 December 2016, 11:24:07 by nonah »

Offline Tye

« Reply #322 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 14:21:42 »
Please post a few pictures of the insides. This is very pretty. How does your layout handle mouse buttons?

Offline nonah

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 14:55:01 »
Please post a few pictures of the insides. This is very pretty. How does your layout handle mouse buttons?

I'll whip something up during the holidays (Which begins tomorrow for me :) ), thanks for the nice words!

I use this pull request: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/pull/326, although in QMK.
Basically, whenever I move the cursor the keyboard changes layer for a short while (about 700ms for me), which allows me to but my mouse buttons anywhere I want. This actually works really well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 December 2016, 14:59:22 by nonah »

Offline alkozu

« Reply #324 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 08:50:30 »
Usability wise, how does it feel the track point in the middle with respect to the "standard" position?

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #325 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 03:08:58 »
Usability wise, how does it feel the track point in the middle with respect to the "standard" position?

Try the Thinkpad :D

Offline tobsn

« Reply #326 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 07:51:44 »

I need some more info on this! :D

Offline alkozu

« Reply #327 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 07:56:29 »

Try the Thinkpad :D

Well, that was exactly my point I know that the trackpoint in the thinkpad is placed such that you can use it without leaving the home row, but here the hand needs to move a little.

Offline Ari Gold

« Reply #328 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 02:35:24 »
Do you perhaps have any plans of running a groupbuy for the pcb's with everything but switches soldered on?

Im considering launching one with similar properties as the one poster here with the kimera core, if you'll allow that?

Offline gammadist

« Reply #329 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 19:19:10 »
What's the column staggering like for those of you with small hands? I have frustratingly small hands and was thinking about modifying the Atreus column staggering to be smaller, similar to the Ergodox.

Maybe the column staggering doesn't matter much at all?

Offline tomboy

« Reply #330 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 03:00:17 »
What's the column staggering like for those of you with small hands? I have frustratingly small hands and was thinking about modifying the Atreus column staggering to be smaller, similar to the Ergodox.

I have very small hands, and I find the atreus much more comfortable that a "normal" staggered layout, reaching the keys is so much easier. Never tried an ergodox though, so I can't compare the two.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #331 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 13:32:34 »

I have very small hands, and I find the atreus much more comfortable that a "normal" staggered layout, reaching the keys is so much easier. Never tried an ergodox though, so I can't compare the two.
Have you tried planck? I'm think about getting a planck :p

Offline tomboy

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 13:46:53 »

Have you tried planck? I'm think about getting a planck :p

Customs got hold of my planck stuff, who knows when I'll get it... I'm probably gonna build it for a friend though since I already have a let's split in the making.

So nope, haven't tried yet, but I'm extremely happy with my atreus, I don't really feel like needing more keys, there are 6 I don't even use :)

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #333 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 14:03:02 »
Hi,
I'm looking at different small key count options. Are you willing to share your layout?
Thanks
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline tomboy

« Reply #334 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 14:08:54 »
Hi,
I'm looking at different small key count options. Are you willing to share your layout?
Thanks

Here's mine: https://gist.github.com/tomb0y/3aaf8fd3e3bd331346df9a4623000122

Offline sems

« Reply #335 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 09:36:20 »
G20 Semiotic on Atreus!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #336 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 23:22:06 »
G20 Semiotic on Atreus!

Show Image

Love it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #337 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 17:43:12 »
G20 Semiotic on Atreus!

Show Image

Curious what made you change your mind, seeing you are selling it?

Offline dustpuppy

« Reply #338 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 07:55:07 »
My understanding is that the plates are 3mm, any concerns with the switches not fully held in place ? I would love to print a 3mm stainless steel plate for my atreus build, the sturdier the better as far as I'm concerned.

Offline sems

« Reply #339 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 08:15:40 »
G20 Semiotic on Atreus!

Show Image

Good question! I'm doing my exchange semester in Singapore and I'm a bit tight on the budget. I want to try HHKB, and I can't have them both. Otherwise Atreus is really a nice layout to use on the go, or even when you are sitting at your desk. It's even more comfortable with G20 sets compared to SA because of the angle and height difference. And being ortholinear, and the fact that I can use my right thumb to activate fn layer, it has a really comfortable numpad and symbol access.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #340 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 14:10:18 »
G20 Semiotic on Atreus!

Show Image

Good question! I'm doing my exchange semester in Singapore and I'm a bit tight on the budget. I want to try HHKB, and I can't have them both. Otherwise Atreus is really a nice layout to use on the go, or even when you are sitting at your desk. It's even more comfortable with G20 sets compared to SA because of the angle and height difference. And being ortholinear, and the fact that I can use my right thumb to activate fn layer, it has a really comfortable numpad and symbol access.
Damn, Singapore! Be sure to go around a lot and have good food! (I'm from Singapore) Thanks for shilling the Atreus, I've always wanted one, just never got around to getting one :/ But Semiotic looks great on wood!

Offline cribbit

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 15:25:43 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88278.0

Working on a hinged case for this.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline tomboy

« Reply #342 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 15:30:39 »
If anyone is looking for a travel case, this fits really nice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291765204494

Offline cribbit

« Reply #343 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 16:42:31 »
If anyone is looking for a travel case, this fits really nice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291765204494

Show Image

Nice! That looks like it should fit most small boards quite well.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline dustpuppy

« Reply #344 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 07:19:49 »
I built a stainless steel Atreus using a pre-soldered PCB from technomancy. With Zealios 62g, and Leopold navy blank 1.5mm PBT keycaps. I also have the "stethoscope case" mentioned above.

My daily driver is an Ergodox EZ, but I built the Atreus to be a companion to my Surface Pro 4. Also, I like really heavy keyboards, and the two 1.5mm steel plates add quite a bit of weight, while staying in the realm of "portable". I am contemplating having a CNC milled steel bottom, but that will take the total weight into the 1kg / 2lbs range, and I'm not sure yet it's necessary. As I mentioned, I really like heavy keyboards. My Ergodox EZ outer steel case weights 2kg per half (https://github.com/lucwastiaux/ergodox/tree/master/steel_case)

The typing experience is pretty much what I expected. The steel plate is solid. The noise level is higher than on my EZ with gateron browns, but I think that's expected with the metal not dissipating vibrations as much, and with the open design. I love it though.

Only thing I don't like are the mouse keys. By default, they are quite choppy, nowhere near as smooth as on the Ergodox EZ.

Instructions to build:
https://github.com/technomancy/atreus/tree/master/case/lasergist_steel_plates

The illustrator files are ready to be submitted as-is to Lasergist to make stainless steel plates (Cherry MX version)

Choose the following settings:

Material: AISI 304 - Shiny
    Thickness: 1.5 mm
    Sandblasting

Upload the two files:

switch-plate-only.ai
        Overall dimensions: height: 116mm width: 257mm
        Path lengths: 3369mm
    base-plate-only.ai
        Overall dimensions: height: 116mm width: 257mm
        Path lengths: 749mm

The order comes out to about $95 USD, including shipping.

Additionally, you'll need the following hardware:

8x 14mm long M3 screws, low profile head https://www.mcmaster.com/#93070A071
    8x 8mm long M3 hex nuts https://www.mcmaster.com/#94868A603
    8x M3 small hex nuts https://www.mcmaster.com/#98676A100

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #345 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 11:34:56 »
dustpuppy, you're amazing! that looks gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the files too :D

Offline cassius36

Re: Atreus, and BEPO
« Reply #346 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 11:46:12 »
Hello,
Does anyone have any experience with the BEPO configuration (adapted to the French language) on the Atreus?
Are accented letters easily accessible?
Aren't there problems with key combinations requested by some Linux applications (I use Debian)?
Thank you in advance,
Sincerely,
Cassius36

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #347 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:04:00 »
Anyone knows if Atreus 2 will be open source as well?
I’m gonna make one with the track point.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #348 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 08:02:21 »
Have plans for Atreus 2 been announced?

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #349 on: Fri, 25 October 2019, 08:30:05 »
Have plans for Atreus 2 been announced?

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

I found Atreus 2 on the mailing list https://www.freelists.org/post/atreus/The-Next-Atreus
It looks like there will be an onboard MCU instead of a pro micro :(