Author Topic: Any thoughts on Keychron?  (Read 4105 times)

Offline daluch

Any thoughts on Keychron?
« on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 12:59:22 »
So the Keychron K4 96% will start shipping in November, and I think it looks pretty interesting.

Since I haven't found anything about it here, I was wondering what do you guys think. Anyone had any experience with maybe K2, which looks fairly similar?

Offline mizzoperator

• "This can't be good for me, but I feel great!"
    • Milk Time: The Mizz Domain
Re: Any thoughts on Keychron?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 13:03:32 »
The keycaps kind of give me a headache and the awkward crunched design doesn't exactly give me high hopes.
Where's my precious nav cluster?? I don't even see a delete key...
I mean, it's a neat concept, but I don't think it'll go over all that well. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic.
The fact you can choose between LK Optical and Various flavors of Gateron is pretty cool though. Optical luv.
Linears are for linear people. No offense if you use linears.
I prefer tactile switches, I'm reluctantly using the AULA SI-859 and my pronouns are she/her.

Offline astronavy

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 08:22:30 »
I don't have one yet. I've ordered k2 it should arrive to me buy the end of this month. I've chosen it because it has not bad reviews and seems like you can use almost any MX keycups. Also reasonable  price which is quite a factor for me.

Offline mizzoperator

• "This can't be good for me, but I feel great!"
    • Milk Time: The Mizz Domain
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 08:38:54 »
I don't have one yet. I've ordered k2 it should arrive to me buy the end of this month. I've chosen it because it has not bad reviews and seems like you can use almost any MX keycups. Also reasonable  price which is quite a factor for me.

Lemme know how well it goes over for you, I'm still hesitant about throwing money at it and want somebody else's opinion on it before I do.
Linears are for linear people. No offense if you use linears.
I prefer tactile switches, I'm reluctantly using the AULA SI-859 and my pronouns are she/her.

Offline astronavy

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 09:00:56 »

Lemme know how well it goes over for you, I'm still hesitant about throwing money at it and want somebody else's opinion on it before I do.
Will do

Offline Belfong

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 06:50:47 »
So, I’m now eyeing a K4 mainly because I need a wireless keyboard and Numpad. Any thoughts on this?

On their website, I can choose a hotswappable board which is cool. But, can I buy Keychron Optical switches to go with this keyboard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 10:41:48 »
A couple of Keychrons have had problems and it seems the switch matrix is somehow linked to the LEDs as both go wrong on the same keys - they are the first boards I've failed to help fix.  No idea if there are thousands of good ones but something to consider.

Most optical switches need a special PCB , I'm not familiar with what Keychron use though.

And on writing the above I had an idea - strobe the row or column high and use the same source to power the LEDs.  Thanks Belfong! (and welcome back :) )
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 14:37:23 »
I had a K1 early in my keyboard journey, and was severely disappointed in it. One thing it did well though was bluetooth connectivity. They have come out with many different models from then, and maybe their new models are better. But like others have said, I think there are better places to start. Whether that be leopold or some of the hotswap boards.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 18:25:12 »
Sounds like hot swappable and Optical switches are not as reliable. Maybe I’ll just go for conventional soldered on switches. I really like to have a Bluetooth and a 96% keyboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline typo

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 00:38:14 »
I don't own one but it looks nice to me.

Offline pinkpurpleteal

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 02:27:04 »
I bought the keychron low profile board that is TKL sized. Overall, its an interesting board.

Offline Anthlenv

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 18:17:44 »
I have the Keytron K2 and its ok. The plastic and the way its built makes my clicky switches sound super tin like and high pitched. And its a fat boi. Need a thick wrist pad for it.

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 22:39:55 »
I have the Keytron K2 and its ok. The plastic and the way its built makes my clicky switches sound super tin like and high pitched. And its a fat boi. Need a thick wrist pad for it.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I stayed off the K2 - it seemed unnecessarily thick. Have they kept the same thickness in later models like the K6?

Offline tacpot

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 04:06:34 »
I had a first gen k2 and it was super chunky, I recently picked up a k8 and it's got an incline and is much more comfortable to type on