Author Topic: Love Topre? Want Custom? Have ton of cash? Here you go!  (Read 3068 times)

Offline typo

Love Topre? Want Custom? Have ton of cash? Here you go!
« on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 03:25:16 »
https://www.unrealkeyboards.com/

This should blow your mind if you are totally into Realforce R2.
My Daily Driver is fully outfitted by him. I will not state the price. However, figure about a new car.
Of course he can do as little as O-rings if you so wish.
It is DIY, he supplies the parts and detailed instructions.
I was not sure if this was already well known.
If so I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Offline iri

Re: Love Topre? Want Custom? Have ton of cash? Here you go!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 06:53:00 »
I'm Buddy and I have been customizing Topre keyboards since 2020
:thumb:
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 09:02:39 »
Was not aware of this, quite interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Offline powwu

• Discord
Love Topre? Want Custom? Have ton of cash? Here you go!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 09:02:39 »
geekhack decided to send the above message twice, and I can't figure out how to delete this one
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 January 2021, 09:05:24 by powwu »

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 09:17:37 »
I get the irony. It is not like Ferrari's first Automobile was absolute junk. Indeed, they did improve over time. However, the first one at the time really wanted for nothing. Here, he formally goes into business in 2020. He brings to the table years of experience. Just as Enzo Ferarri did. I am still not lost on your point. Everyone must start somewhere. I can vouch that every last thing that I purchased was of very good if not outstanding fit and finish. Once again, he is not assembling anything. The end user is. He is supplying parts. Still, those parts must obviously mate properly. Notwithstanding that the end user assembles them properly. Given that both are correct, which in my case I was rather pleased with the outcome. It should not really matter his year of "incorporation". The entire package is rather pricey and I am not easily impressed. This was honestly not bad at all. In fact it was quite good.

I would honestly rather have gone wit Norbaforce. He never made anything for 108 keys. He also never intended to. Now, his shop is long since closed. Given that, this guy seems to be the new game in town. I am not going to recommend him. Simply because this stuff can vary. What I received did the trick for me at least. I am a self proclaimed stickler for quality. This is one of those moments I wish that AT&T had not screwed me out of a phone. I did exaggerate about price of a car. It is more than the keyboard itself however if you get everything that he offers. I am keen that it is DIY because that does cut cost way down. I am happy with it but for a myriad of reasons I am not going to vouch for something like that. It is at someones own discretion.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pow, I love your Avatar! I will not say how many cats are here because it will start a flame war against me. They all are taken outstanding care of. I know I am just giving my word but many people would vouch for me. I have 3 full time employees(cats) and a full time Veterinarian. I am not kidding. Those are not the only animals though. We, well there is only one of us left live on Thousands of Acres.

Anyhow back on topic. I do not think much is going to be said about this though. If anyone wanted to spend the money I think it is very nice. In no way does it make the keyboard any better. Except perhaps BKE. Which is really just a matter of taste. All this really does is bring a Topre up to where most custom MX boards are. Although if you figure the price of a high end custom MX board the PFU limited 108 plus all his mods and BKE is not far off from the price. So I think perhaps that is a viable alternative in Topre. If one is unhappy with a plastic case. Although if you get the Ivory the case is AES which is nothing to sneeze at. Besides in general a R2 will almost always outlast any MX board.

One weird thing. The PFu Limited is stiffer than a 45G uniform. I replaced it with BKE light and extra light on the pinkies anyway. I find the spacers to be terrible. YMMV.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 January 2021, 09:47:02 by typo »

Offline pinkpurpleteal

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 02:29:42 »
Are the cases that he is putting the parts into norbauer cases, or are they custom cases?

I have made some Fc660c cases that I could supply him, if needed.

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 05:49:51 »
They are his own cases he had tooled. They are much less money than Norbaforce was. You could email him and see if he would like to purchase your cases. Does not hurt. I have a few Norbaforce cases and they are heavier and overall nicer but this kids cases are fine if you do not know Norbaforce exists. I would say his case is comparable to for instance to a Drop ALT. He is not assembling anything. He is selling parts for DIY. If you get a PFU plus all of his mods including the case it is under $1400 including the keyboard. If you got Norbaforce you would be looking at over a few grand. I think with all of his mods and BKE you have a nice keyboard there. I would throw in a nice YC8 coiled cable.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 03:52:23 »
I'm Buddy and I have been customizing Topre keyboards since 2020

:D  :thumb:
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 21:32:20 »
That was very nice of you in your Avatar phinix. Hey, everyone gotta start somewhere. besides he ain't building none of it. those companies been in business longer for sure. I got every modification he offered for one board plus some other mods. I was very pleased how it went together. Now, do not expect Norbaforce okay? His stuff is not incredibly expensive. The problem is availability. after so many orders are placed he will go to the FAB. their turnaround, then his sweet time, he ships it. i was very lucky to catch him when he had what I wanted. You could feasibly wait two years with your money tied up. Luckily it is no great sum. Otherwise I know of no one else offering it? Although AES plastic in parts of Japan is considered nicer than metal. Plus it sounds and feels "tighter" in the original case. I would not be in any hurry. Go get BKE. That is fun.

Offline walie

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 23:24:53 »

His stuff is not incredibly expensive.

My Daily Driver is fully outfitted by him. I will not state the price. However, figure about a new car.

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 01:28:32 »
Yeah, sounds interesting for sure but I'm not sure I'd want to spend $1400 for drop alt-like quality.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 13:03:09 »
Are the cases that he is putting the parts into norbauer cases, or are they custom cases?

They are his own cases he had tooled. They are much less money than Norbaforce was. You could email him and see if he would like to purchase your cases.

Some of the keyboards on his site have Norb cases, it's hard to tell which ones he actually tooled.

More info instead of just about the price of a new car would be helpful too.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 13:23:47 »
wow these keyboards look

unreal

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 06:01:09 »
I have not been around here. I was just being a jerk. His prices are pretty reasonable on a lot of items. Nothing like a car. Maybe like a Brake job. He is a lot less than Norb. We had a Norb and I am not sure what happened to it.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 06:22:15 »
heard nothing but good things about buddy

his tuning guide is very thorough as well

https://www.unrealkeyboards.com/Guides/topre-modifications/