Author Topic: Is designing a custom PCB for an existing case acceptable?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline sebi707

Is designing a custom PCB for an existing case acceptable?
« on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 12:31:26 »
I'm quite new to the custom keyboard community and have yet to build my first board. I really prefer the ISO layout, but unfortunately I have noticed that not all keyboards support ISO. Since I have some background in electronics and I already have designed some PCBs (not keyboard related) I thought I could just make a PCB myself. I this generally an acceptable practice or has this be done in the past? I guess if I just make them for myself nobody will care, but say if I try to sell leftover PCBs? Of course I wouldn't rip-off the original PCB design, but the PCB outline and switch position has to match obviously. I have no specific board in mind yet.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Is designing a custom PCB for an existing case acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 12:52:58 »
Are you talking about commercial boards or customs as seen in group buys?  There have been plenty of PCBs made to fit original Cherry boards to add programmability and the original 60% DIY case/mounting is based on the Vortex Poker so there's plenty of history there, the company gets your money for the case so they're happy.  Looking at customs many use a fixed layout plate because it looks and functions better than a universal but underneath is a PCB that supports ISO so you wouldn't be the first person to ask for the plate file to make an ISO version.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 13:08:11 »
I this generally an acceptable practice or has this be done in the past?
Many, myself included, have done so. Either controller boards or entire PCBs.

say if I try to sell leftover PCBs?
Of course you can and I'm sure it would be much appreciated.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline sebi707

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 13:40:34 »
Are you talking about commercial boards or customs as seen in group buys?
I'm talking about custom boards in group buys.

Looking at customs many use a fixed layout plate because it looks and functions better than a universal but underneath is a PCB that supports ISO so you wouldn't be the first person to ask for the plate file to make an ISO version.
Yes, I've noticed that ISO support on the PCB without a matching plate is a thing. But some boards do not even have ISO support on the PCB (e.g. Mode Eighty).

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 16:27:07 »
Yeah it's acceptable if the PCB for the keyboard is hard to get, Doesn't support QMK or The original PCB dies fast cough percent.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 22:58:29 »
I'm talking about custom boards in group buys.

You may want to look at numbers before you go down that path.

Just a rough guess but it's likely this will cost $200-300 each, it won't cost you that, but you will need a board to work from; spread across only a few people, plus low volume manufacturing, it's not going to be cheap even if you donate your time and effort or even if the designer offers you up the plans to work from.

You're after a small number of people who have a limited edition board, want ISO and are willing to pay that much on top of what they already did. I'm not saying they don't exist, but it's a really small number.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 22:21:11 »
An interesting example is the GH-122.  It was designed so at least one configuration could be dropped in a cheap off-the-shelf case (the IBM/Unicomp 122-key terminal case).  Rather than buying a $500 short-run milled case, or even a $125 lasered aluminium sandwich case, you could get a used M122 for a few dollars (terminal M122s used to be very cheap and common) or a new case for like $25 from Unicomp.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.