Author Topic: most efficient keycap pullers  (Read 5303 times)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
most efficient keycap pullers
« on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 14:10:33 »
I have been doing a lot of keycaps switching lately, and I found that my preference is to use the Filco keycap puller to pull a few caps off of each row first, and then use the Realforce keycap puller to pull the rest of the caps out.  This seems to be the fastest, most efficient way to get all the keycaps off.

The Realforce keycap puller is not as thin as the Filco one, so it is harder to start.  But after using the Filco one to get a few out, the Realforce keycap puller is very easy to position into grabbing a key and pull it off.

Offline litster

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 14:20:56 »
Yes, the Realforce puller can scratch your caps, if it is too tight and not enough room to slide it into the cracks (ooh, erotic!).  That's why I use the Filco one to pull a few out first, then there is more room and it is much easier and faster to pull the caps out.

Yes, I love the Cherry double shots much more than SP's.  I am in love with the real Dolch keycaps in particular.  They are so thick!

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 00:28:59 »
I think the Filco-style puller (wire-based) works swimmingly well.  Using a second hand to spread/position the wires, it's a flying-quick process, barely ever touching anything but the bottom.  (or sides lightly on the way down)  Takes only a couple minutes to strip a board with it.  On the contrary, my tweezer style or worse... plastic style... not only scratch, but are no faster. But to each his own. :)

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 07:28:12 »
I've found this to be very fast:

I've pulled the keys off 30 keyboards with this and never had damage. It's fast because you don't have to carefully grab the key - just slide to the next key and pop it off. I was popping keys off so fast, it was like watching popcorn fly.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 20:01:42 »
I wonder if it was your post about using that that I saw. This is too recent a post to have been that one though.

I use one too.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 20:50:54 »
You probably saw this post.

I used that key puller today. I pulled all the keys off my Commodore 128 and Amiga 500 to wash them. The keys on the A500 were frigging tight, but no damage was caused. A couple C128 springs went flying and I spent about an hour searching for them, but eventually found them.

Now those keyboards are sparkling clean.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2011, 23:27:37 by mr_a500 »

Offline litster

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 21:39:05 »
Nice!  I need to give that a try.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 21:55:07 »
Yep, that was definitely the one.

I'm kinda surprised how few people use them given how well they work. On space invaders (even opening the switches themselves) and everything else.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline sordna

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 22:25:14 »
How do you use a PC slot cover to pull keycaps, exactly?
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2011, 22:27:16 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 15:40:03 »
Easily.

Just try one (that isn't paper thin) and you'll see.