Author Topic: Northgate Omnikey 101 white alps  (Read 2408 times)

Offline ValerieV

Northgate Omnikey 101 white alps
« on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 21:05:50 »
Saw one on ebay for over 200.00. It has never been opened. Is it worth it? I am replacing my Siig Minitouch alps with the green alps from the Ducky because those are too hard to press. Are these just as hard? There is a video someone typing on it on youtube and it sounds great but i just don't know. Help!  :confused:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Northgate Omnikey 101 white alps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 21:17:16 »
The answer is: maybe.

I had a couple of Northgates that I really liked, but they had dead keys. I should have gotten out my soldering iron and replaced them, but didn't feel like it.

I currently have an actual Alps Electric brand keyboard with whites, and they are stiffer than I remember from the Northgates.

Buying a fresh virgin is always preferable, and you will have your best shot at a really nice one.

$200 is steep, but if you have the money, it really isn't insanely out of line.

edit - I just went to ebay, and see several that I wouldn't buy. Make sure that the layout is something that you would be happy with. I have come to love the function keys on the left, but they only go through F10. Some models have both sets of function keys, some don't.

I don't mind a bigass Enter key, but can't abide a small backspace.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 February 2013, 21:35:31 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 21:43:45 »
Yeah it is hard to know with this one. I don't mind the layout. In fact, i like it more than the function keys on the side because that just makes the keyboard too big. My biggest concern is how stiff the keys are. I am sure they work fine and i don't think i will have any dead keys. Also, if the alps are really great i can always replace them onto another, smaller alps board. I am going to be doing that with the Siig Minitouch because those keys are just too stiff. I hope the Northgate is not like that.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 02:28:20 »
Northgates, it depends on a good two dozen factors. Never opened non-membrane, chances are decent that it's in perfect working order, provided it wasn't thrown around in handling and was stored properly. Never opened membrane, roll of the dice.

The Northgate 101 I found on eBay (which I'm guessing is the one you're referring to) is an OmniKey 101 full mechanical. I'm not convinced it's new in original box though; it's missing the serial number on the box. But it certainly doesn't look used, and it's the correct packing materials. My guess would be that what happened was: it was new in box, but the box itself was likely damaged beyond use. These things can happen even when properly stored. But the keypuller accessory and replacement keycaps? I'm guessing that we found the seller. (You also know 'em as Arkay Engraving.)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 05:38:52 »
This is the one that i am looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190790123710?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thank you so much for your response.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 12:17:36 »
This is the one that i am looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190790123710?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thank you so much for your response.

Yep, that's the one! I think the guy is around here, as a matter of fact, but don't quote me on it. TBH, it would not surprise me if it was a NIB OmniKey very late production and that was the original box. (It's a Windows key model, I never handled those.)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 12:33:45 »
You should contact didjamatic and discuss his items with him.

He has a lot of premium products for sale at premium prices, but he will shoot straight with you.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:21:47 »
You should contact didjamatic and discuss his items with him.

He has a lot of premium products for sale at premium prices, but he will shoot straight with you.

Ah-ha! I knew he was around here!
And TBH, if he says it's never been used? It's never been used. If anyone on this earth could find NIB Northgates, it would definitely be him. Personally, I'm waiting for a NOS w/original manual Avant Prime. Yeah, yeah, exact same keyboard, I know. But as I intend to rip the branding off it, I cannot possibly bring myself to do that to one of OmniKey's beautiful badges.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 16:50:57 »
Is this the keyboard you're looking for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-CVT-Avant-Prime-Programmable-Keyboard-Northgate-Omnikey-/261164359973?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item3cce9be125

Is their a small difference between the two keyboards? They are so expensive!!
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2013, 16:53:05 by ValerieV »

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 15:53:28 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-CVT-Avant-Prime-Programmable-Keyboard-Northgate-Omnikey-/261164359973?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item3cce9be125

Ahahaha... yes, sadly, that is the one.
And the reason is that the Avant Prime is, well, take the awesomeness of the OmniKey and update it slightly. Oh and make it host programmable. (Aaaayup.) Plus the Avant Prime is based on a full metal frame, so it weighs slightly more than a Model M. It's a beast. Plus, you know, pencil tray. :)

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
Northgate Omnikey 101 white alps
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 16:00:50 »
I bought a used one of these for 40 dollars here.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 21:23:35 »

Ahahaha... yes, sadly, that is the one.
And the reason is that the Avant Prime is, well, take the awesomeness of the OmniKey and update it slightly. Oh and make it host programmable. (Aaaayup.) Plus the Avant Prime is based on a full metal frame, so it weighs slightly more than a Model M. It's a beast. Plus, you know, pencil tray. :)

Does it use the same alps? Are you going to take the plunge and buy it?

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 01:12:49 »

Nah, I'm not dropping that much on a keyboard. Be too afraid to use it, especially since they're an absolute migraine to repair. Avant Primes are also only Simplified and Fuhua switches, always, no exceptions (CVT took over in '95.) Though I've heard legend of some Avant Primes with Alps Locking switches for some keys, but never seen one, so I'm pretty doubtful.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 08:28:59 »

Nah, I'm not dropping that much on a keyboard. Be too afraid to use it, especially since they're an absolute migraine to repair. Avant Primes are also only Simplified and Fuhua switches, always, no exceptions (CVT took over in '95.) Though I've heard legend of some Avant Primes with Alps Locking switches for some keys, but never seen one, so I'm pretty doubtful.

You should try and negotiate that price. I think it is way overpriced. Garage sale season is starting up soon and i will be on the lookout for old keyboards. It just seems so sad that some people throw them out because they think they are garbage. Also, why would you have to repair the Avant Prime? I thought those old keyboards were unbreakable!  ;D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 09:33:10 »
I have had problems with Alps switches dying at random (except that the blacks in AT101s never seem to die).

In the past, I have had 2 or 3 nice Northgates, and each had 1-5 dead switches, so I got rid of them for ~$35. I should have kept them and replaced the switches.

The same with Apple Extended Keyboards, I don't think I have ever gotten one without at least 1 dead switch, but, in all fairness, every one of those I have tried was a cheap cast-off, so that is probably why.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 09:54:26 »
I was thinking about replacing the Northgate switches onto the Mini Siig keyboard. I might not because i really love the Northgate look. However, if i do have a dead alps switch, then i will. I can't believe what people throw away now!  :mad:

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 12:38:58 »
I'd like to see a MiniTouch modded with complicated black Alps from a Dell AT101W. Of course, if you really like the MiniTouch, you should try to find the Monterey version.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 13:05:17 »
I bought it i think. I got another minitouch with the blue alps that the seller made. I have to try it out and see if i like it.