Author Topic: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]  (Read 664357 times)

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
Re: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Nexus [In Development]
« Reply #1300 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 17:06:35 »
      AcidFire, in your initial thread starter post you said:
"... searching for a keyboard solution to my pain in my wrists."
Mentioning that as a reminder of what started all of this: pain.
Some of us are pushed by pain towards the adjustability of MX switches,
which need to have their switch tops opened to be adjusted.
Some of us need a keyboard that easily allows that.
The following Bottom Line is my opinion:
It's really important to have a removable MX switch top design.
Will your keyboards have a plate to mount the switches, and if so, will the switch openings have the necessary "phantom" cutouts so the switches can be opened up without desoldering?

Currently, the design features a bottom case and a top plate with no lip, similar to Corsair's K series. Not only does this simplify the manfacturing, but it also makes it easier to stack different key layouts closer together. This was done specifically in response to feedback from those with smaller hands.

Up until now, I hadn't prioritized the cutouts for the top removal but xman makes an excellent point, this board is all about finding your comfort, and that includes the switches. I've added them to a new model of the switch top I'll be running off the 3D printer to test for rigidity, however dimensionally there seems to be enough plastic between them to be solid.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1301 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 17:19:30 »
Ok, I need to clarify on the switches. they are not ALPS switches, they are a Cherry MX compatible that Wil be produced by Matias. That means the same pinning, the same dimensions and the same stem as a Cherry MX. it also means the springs are replaceable just like a Cherry MX as well.
Is there any more information available about these switches? It sounds like they’re clone Cherry MX switches, which Matias is handling the manufacturing for... have they announced anything about this publicly? Do you know whether the switches are internally (nearly) identical to MX switches, or are they internally set up differently, and only compatible in pinout, outer housing dimensions, and keycap mount?

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #1302 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 17:25:04 »
      AcidFire, in your initial thread starter post you said:
"... searching for a keyboard solution to my pain in my wrists."
Mentioning that as a reminder of what started all of this: pain.
Some of us are pushed by pain towards the adjustability of MX switches,
which need to have their switch tops opened to be adjusted.
Some of us need a keyboard that easily allows that.
The following Bottom Line is my opinion:
It's really important to have a removable MX switch top design.
Will your keyboards have a plate to mount the switches, and if so, will the switch openings have the necessary "phantom" cutouts so the switches can be opened up without desoldering?

Currently, the design features a bottom case and a top plate with no lip, similar to Corsair's K series. Not only does this simplify the manfacturing, but it also makes it easier to stack different key layouts closer together. This was done specifically in response to feedback from those with smaller hands.

Up until now, I hadn't prioritized the cutouts for the top removal but xman makes an excellent point, this board is all about finding your comfort, and that includes the switches. I've added them to a new model of the switch top I'll be running off the 3D printer to test for rigidity, however dimensionally there seems to be enough plastic between them to be solid.

Yay! Keyboards for tiny hands!
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1303 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 17:29:57 »
Ok, I need to clarify on the switches. they are not ALPS switches, they are a Cherry MX compatible that Wil be produced by Matias. That means the same pinning, the same dimensions and the same stem as a Cherry MX. it also means the springs are replaceable just like a Cherry MX as well.
Is there any more information available about these switches? It sounds like they’re clone Cherry MX switches, which Matias is handling the manufacturing for... have they announced anything about this publicly? Do you know whether the switches are internally (nearly) identical to MX switches, or are they internally set up differently, and only compatible in pinout, outer housing dimensions, and keycap mount?
No, much of this is in direct response to questions/concerns from me. The switches are still very early in the design stage, but from what I understand they'll be very close to the Cherry mechanically, with some much needed modifications that Cherry has been lacking since the start. As I've mentioned before, I can't say more past that at this time but know that if the Matias produced switches aren't up to snuff (and I seriously doubt that'll be a problem) I have a backup plan in place.

Edit:
Also, I keep forgetting to mention that the new case design for the main clusters supports a 1/4" 20 thread, which should make them easy to mount. Would that work for those of you looking to mount them to things like chairs?
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 June 2014, 17:36:19 by AcidFire »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1304 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 18:09:23 »
The switches are still very early in the design stage, ...
If they’re currently very early in the design phase, I’m amazed that apparently the plan is to ramp up production in the near future. I would have expected figuring out the design/tooling/supply chain issues for a new type of keyswitch to take at least several months.

Also, it seems weird to base a switch on Cherry MX. I guess that’s where the money currently is, but Cherry MX seems like a pretty flawed switch in many ways. It seems like you’d get a better typing experience (either for linear or tactile switches) by starting with a different basic design (for example, I’d love to see someone try to copy SMK switches and make some variants of that design with a bit longer travel, slightly higher actuation point, and a few varieties of weights and tactile response). Then again, I guess MX switches are well-known, with lots of options for keycaps. I’m especially surprised because Matias himself has gone on record a few times bad-mouthing MX switches.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 June 2014, 18:29:24 by jacobolus »

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1305 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 18:22:19 »
The switches are still very early in the design stage, ...
If they’re currently very early in the design phase, I’m amazed that apparently the plan is to ramp up production in the near future. I would have expected figuring out the design/tooling/supply chain issues for a new type of keyswitch to take at least several months.

Also, it seems weird to base a switch on Cherry MX. I guess that’s where the money currently is, but Cherry MX seems like a pretty flawed switch in many ways. It seems like you’d get a better typing experience (either for linear or tactile switches) by starting with a different basic design. Then again, I guess MX switches are well-known, with lots of options for keycaps. I’m especially surprised because Matias himself has gone on record a few times bad-mouthing MX switches.

The majority of the run up time is the design, since Matias would be using their existing manufacturing process to produce said switches. This would run in parallel with my own development/production timeline for the boards themselves.

In all honesty, I'd actually just like to switch to the Matias/ALPs and be done with it. They're easier to design and develop for, including custom keycaps, not to mention cheaper. It also helps that Matias loves this stuff and are awesome to work with. While the Cherry MX is flawed, it's also the most common and ignoring that can push something like this into relative obscurity, which can also affect the pricing (lower lot production = higher CPU). Again, this wasn't Matias' idea, but purely my concern based on exposure/familiarity w/ Cherry not only in this community but in general. It's very expensive unfortunately for a startup to support multiple product lines. 

Offline conandy

« Reply #1306 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 18:37:23 »
I'm all for trying the Matias switches.  I ran by a local Microcenter to try out the apple Matias keyboard they had, and have to say I like them.  Think they were the quiet clicky ones.  The price is right, and Matias as a company seems like a better match for a small startup production run than Cherry, based on Acidfire's feedback on how many switches Cherry insists upon selling at a time.  Go for the Matias.  I'm game!
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 June 2014, 18:40:02 by conandy »

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1307 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 18:46:43 »
I'm also cautiously optimistic about trying out Matias switches. My favorite switch so far has been Cherry MX Clears, but Matias quiet clicky's sound similar and very good from all the descriptions that I've read.

I must say, the blue prototypes with the tiltable thumb clusters really look great. I can't wait to see the finished product! Also it's good that Acidfire has thought about mounting options with the screw holes. I can finally create my Emperor chair!! My girlfriend will be ecstatic to have this in the living room! :rolleyes:

67503-0

Offline madderoftime

« Reply #1308 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 19:00:29 »
I'm also cautiously optimistic about trying out Matias switches. My favorite switch so far has been Cherry MX Clears, but Matias quiet clicky's sound similar and very good from all the descriptions that I've read.

I must say, the blue prototypes with the tiltable thumb clusters really look great. I can't wait to see the finished product! Also it's good that Acidfire has thought about mounting options with the screw holes. I can finally create my Emperor chair!! My girlfriend will be ecstatic to have this in the living room! :rolleyes:

(Attachment Link)

Now that chair is awesome.  :eek:
GH60 Nevermore

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1309 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 19:24:56 »
Now that chair is awesome.  :eek:

Yes, only the price is not so awesome...

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1310 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 20:12:25 »
As mentioned previously, something I was aiming for was the lack of borders between keys, like so:

Both the thumbs and main clusters sport this design. Also, I've come to realize as well that it may be possible to upgrade to a curved/bowl shape on the current design down the road. When I get some free time (hah!) I'll be trying to design some test peices to see how it works out.

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #1311 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 03:11:48 »
ooooh, curves? now we're talking :)
the one thing that my kinesis has over my dox is the 3d-ness. it just feels that much easier to reach the bottom row of keys. get some shaping action going on there and you're getting into the territory of being the ideal keyboard. well, maybe apart from the datahand ;)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1312 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 03:16:24 »
Also, I've come to realize as well that it may be possible to upgrade to a curved/bowl shape on the current design down the road.
Are you just going to hand wire those, or what?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1313 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 03:16:54 »
Curved keywells are tricky. Bottom row easier to reach with the four fingers comes at the cost of being able to press those keys with palms or thumbs... and it makes the keyboard bulky.

Something like Model M's curved backplate wouldn't hurt, but PCBs and their price...

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1314 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 12:34:06 »
ooooh, curves? now we're talking :)
the one thing that my kinesis has over my dox is the 3d-ness. it just feels that much easier to reach the bottom row of keys. get some shaping action going on there and you're getting into the territory of being the ideal keyboard. well, maybe apart from the datahand ;)

Also, I've come to realize as well that it may be possible to upgrade to a curved/bowl shape on the current design down the road.
Are you just going to hand wire those, or what?

Curved keywells are tricky. Bottom row easier to reach with the four fingers comes at the cost of being able to press those keys with palms or thumbs... and it makes the keyboard bulky.

Something like Model M's curved backplate wouldn't hurt, but PCBs and their price...

TBH I have a couple of differing ideas about how to wire it, but hand wiring wouldn't be one of them as the labor would just make it too costly. And the curved well versions would definitely not be travel friendly, but from what I've had my hands on with a kinesis & a maltron it would definitely be worthwhile for the desktop.

Now I do have an opinion question for those of you looking to either assemble your own or are looking to buy the kit to hack it. I've been looking at the interconnect options between the adjustable pieces, and I can either stay with the 2mm connectors which have some issues (right angle females break exceptionally easy) and are a bit more labor intensive to produce and relatively bulky, or FPC cables & connectors which are thinner and tend to be easier to manage in a smaller case which also lets me design it a bit slimmer and makes it easier to take the casing apart. It also means that when you don't opt for things like the f-row addon that there is a much smaller hole in the case. They're also easier to assemble (with the right locking connector). Originally, the 2mm connectors were selected for height and the fact that because they're through hole its still easy to solder to them. The FPC cables on the other hand would require no soldering but aren't breadboard/hacker friendly. To counter that, I'd look at offering a "hacker" kit that would include breakouts for the FPC cables to standard 0.1" spacing, aiming for a cost around 10-20 depending on what would be included (breakouts, extra cables of different lengths, etc). Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 June 2014, 12:38:30 by AcidFire »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1315 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 12:58:34 »
This might be a dumb idea, but what about something like pigtails? I'm just trying to think outside the box...

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #1316 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 13:30:16 »
Now I do have an opinion question for those of you looking to either assemble your own or are looking to buy the kit to hack it. I've been looking at the interconnect options between the adjustable pieces, and I can either stay with the 2mm connectors which have some issues (right angle females break exceptionally easy) and are a bit more labor intensive to produce and relatively bulky, or FPC cables & connectors which are thinner and tend to be easier to manage in a smaller case which also lets me design it a bit slimmer and makes it easier to take the casing apart. It also means that when you don't opt for things like the f-row addon that there is a much smaller hole in the case. They're also easier to assemble (with the right locking connector). Originally, the 2mm connectors were selected for height and the fact that because they're through hole its still easy to solder to them. The FPC cables on the other hand would require no soldering but aren't breadboard/hacker friendly. To counter that, I'd look at offering a "hacker" kit that would include breakouts for the FPC cables to standard 0.1" spacing, aiming for a cost around 10-20 depending on what would be included (breakouts, extra cables of different lengths, etc). Thoughts?

It seems to me that the vast majority (98.8%+ ?) of your customers will not do the level of hardware hacking that the 2mm connector would benefit. IMHO, the higher reliability option with the extra cost "hacker kit" would likely make the most people happy.

Offline sm31

« Reply #1317 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 15:20:13 »
I've come to realize as well that it may be possible to upgrade to a curved/bowl shape on the current design down the road. When I get some free time (hah!) I'll be trying to design some test peices to see how it works out.

Does "down the road" suggest after the forthcoming campaign? If yes, it might be nice for you to consider a campaign funding option for people primarily interested in a curved keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 June 2014, 15:22:14 by sm31 »

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1318 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 17:10:21 »
This might be a dumb idea, but what about something like pigtails? I'm just trying to think outside the box...
I'm not sure I get what you mean by Pigtails, but I'd guess that you're talking about coiled cables?

It seems to me that the vast majority (98.8%+ ?) of your customers will not do the level of hardware hacking that the 2mm connector would benefit. IMHO, the higher reliability option with the extra cost "hacker kit" would likely make the most people happy.
I've been thinking about this more and more, and I think you're right it'll strike the right balance for now. good thing I haven't submitted my board files yet ;)

I've come to realize as well that it may be possible to upgrade to a curved/bowl shape on the current design down the road. When I get some free time (hah!) I'll be trying to design some test peices to see how it works out.

Does "down the road" suggest after the forthcoming campaign? If yes, it might be nice for you to consider a campaign funding option for people primarily interested in a curved keyboard.
Yes, but I'm not sure when down the road. I don't feel comfortable adding an option for something that I'm not entirely sure when it'll enter/finish development, however it seems perfectly reasonable to do a funding campaign for those kits when the time comes.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1319 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 17:27:36 »
I'm not sure I get what you mean by Pigtails, but I'd guess that you're talking about coiled cables?
I was thinking of something like the connector often used for WiFi antennas, example, but obviously not these, just the mechanism. Can't think of a better example now.

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 June 2014, 17:31:50 by davkol »

Offline conandy

« Reply #1320 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 20:26:31 »
As mentioned previously, something I was aiming for was the lack of borders between keys, like so:
Show Image

Both the thumbs and main clusters sport this design. Also, I've come to realize as well that it may be possible to upgrade to a curved/bowl shape on the current design down the road. When I get some free time (hah!) I'll be trying to design some test peices to see how it works out.

There isn't a lot of plastic left on the edges of those plates.  I'd be afraid those would break pretty easily, especially in a travel situation or when someone starts swapping out keyswitches or even just popping open switches for spring changes.   Keep those safety factors in place!

Offline sm31

« Reply #1321 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 07:53:33 »
Yes, but I'm not sure when down the road. I don't feel comfortable adding an option for something that I'm not entirely sure when it'll enter/finish development, however it seems perfectly reasonable to do a funding campaign for those kits when the time comes.

I understand that.

Is it feasible that a curved variant could reuse components from the first campaign?

Offline Scoox

« Reply #1322 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:54:03 »
I am really excited about this project. How sad that the standard QWERTY keyboard has become... well, the standard. It would be so easy for multinational keyboard manufacturers such as Logitech to mass-produce affordable symmetrical layout keyboards and yet they don't, it's so pathetic. I take my hat off to AcidFire and truly hope his keyboard starts a revolution.

Offline conandy

« Reply #1323 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 11:00:06 »
I am really excited about this project. How sad that the standard QWERTY keyboard has become... well, the standard. It would be so easy for multinational keyboard manufacturers such as Logitech to mass-produce affordable symmetrical layout keyboards and yet they don't, it's so pathetic. I take my hat off to AcidFire and truly hope his keyboard starts a revolution.

I'm surprised that a nifty company like Matias, who obviously has some great ideas and products, hasn't jumped on this bandwagon yet.  Or even some of the bigger guys like DAS or Leopold or Ducky who obviously cater to the keyboard enthusiast.  From this community it is obvious to see that the "one size fits all" keyboard mentality should become a thing of the past.  But it's all about numbers.  When there are literally millions of people buying the same ****ty qwerty staggered keyboards because that is all they know and they don't know any better, there is no impetus for the big companies to change a thing.  Quite frankly, even the thousands upon thousands of people who are experiencing repetitive motion injuries and carpal tunnel syndrome don't realize how really stupid the standard qwerty keyboard design is in modern day.   I'm preaching to the choir, though, with this audience. 

Projects like the ErgoDox and this one are long overdue.  Unfortunately, even the efforts that have gone before, like Maltron and Kinesis, have been largely relegated to the obscurity of the niche ergonomics market and are only known to those who have already had to get treatment for the poor keyboarding ergonomics left to us by the inventors of the modern typewriter.   

As an engineer it is very frustrating to see the masses out there continue to be duped into using inferior designed products purely for the reason that they are the established norm.  It is an uphill battle. 

Stepping off my soap box now.....

Keep up the great work, Acidfire.  What I like about your efforts here are that you are really trying to make this a production level effort that is customize-able and user configurable.  The opportunities for scaling this project up seem to really be there.  If you end up starting a company that continues to innovate....I'll invest. 

Offline madderoftime

« Reply #1324 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 11:38:44 »
I totally agree. As I sit here on a Kinesis typing this I am realizing that I am part of a niche market. I can't even type on a flat keyboard anymore. I bought the duel legend keys for Dvorak as well. Hard to change when you have to use these for typing for work everyday. The time to change and the drop in performance for your employment is scary. Still even the change of the thumb keys is extraordinary for someone that hurts daily.
GH60 Nevermore

Offline JackMills

« Reply #1325 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:43:10 »

I'm surprised that a nifty company like Matias, who obviously has some great ideas and products, hasn't jumped on this bandwagon yet.  Or even some of the bigger guys like DAS or Leopold or Ducky who obviously cater to the keyboard enthusiast.  From this community it is obvious to see that the "one size fits all" keyboard mentality should become a thing of the past.  But it's all about numbers.  When there are literally millions of people buying the same ****ty qwerty staggered keyboards because that is all they know and they don't know any better, there is no impetus for the big companies to change a thing.  Quite frankly, even the thousands upon thousands of people who are experiencing repetitive motion injuries and carpal tunnel syndrome don't realize how really stupid the standard qwerty keyboard design is in modern day.   I'm preaching to the choir, though, with this audience. 

Projects like the ErgoDox and this one are long overdue.  Unfortunately, even the efforts that have gone before, like Maltron and Kinesis, have been largely relegated to the obscurity of the niche ergonomics market and are only known to those who have already had to get treatment for the poor keyboarding ergonomics left to us by the inventors of the modern typewriter.   

As an engineer it is very frustrating to see the masses out there continue to be duped into using inferior designed products purely for the reason that they are the established norm.  It is an uphill battle. 

Keep up the great work, Acidfire.  What I like about your efforts here are that you are really trying to make this a production level effort that is customize-able and user configurable.  The opportunities for scaling this project up seem to really be there.  If you end up starting a company that continues to innovate....I'll invest.
I had a discussion today at work with the company MD about RSI and carpal tunnel syndrome. He didn`t believe a keyboard or mouse has anything to do with it, it`s solely bad posture...just to say that even educated persons can be ignorant on this.
I do find it strange that companies spend dollars on creating ergonomical equipment for the hard labour in their factories, however they find it weird if asked for ergonomical equipment for those who sit at a desk all day.
I work in IT and got a decent chair, but I always get a strange look when I propose something as a Maltron or even a Natural Keyboard 4000, not to say a standing desk.
I applaud this initiative and hope for successful commercialisation of the Axios.
And keep researching and developing... 

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1326 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 18:19:19 »

I was thinking of something like the connector often used for WiFi antennas, example, but obviously not these, just the mechanism. Can't think of a better example now.
ah gotcha. The problem with anything using a connector or connectors on the end is bulk especially since I actually have very little room for cutouts for connectors, hence why I've been taking a hard look at the FPC cabling.

There isn't a lot of plastic left on the edges of those plates.  I'd be afraid those would break pretty easily, especially in a travel situation or when someone starts swapping out keyswitches or even just popping open switches for spring changes.   Keep those safety factors in place!
I've done a number of totally on purpose ( :)) ) drop tests and I have yet to damage the sides of the plates, and thats with using PLA which is a more brittle plastic than ABS. That being said there will still be stress testing once I've gotten the injection molded parts to ensure they'll take the abuse before I sell them. Maybe I'll put a couple of prototypes in a pelican and fly with Alaska again ;).

I understand that.

Is it feasible that a curved variant could reuse components from the first campaign?
That would be the aim, that you could upgrade instead of having to replace.

I totally agree. As I sit here on a Kinesis typing this I am realizing that I am part of a niche market. I can't even type on a flat keyboard anymore. I bought the duel legend keys for Dvorak as well. Hard to change when you have to use these for typing for work everyday. The time to change and the drop in performance for your employment is scary. Still even the change of the thumb keys is extraordinary for someone that hurts daily.

I had a discussion today at work with the company MD about RSI and carpal tunnel syndrome. He didn`t believe a keyboard or mouse has anything to do with it, it`s solely bad posture...just to say that even educated persons can be ignorant on this.
I do find it strange that companies spend dollars on creating ergonomical equipment for the hard labour in their factories, however they find it weird if asked for ergonomical equipment for those who sit at a desk all day.
I work in IT and got a decent chair, but I always get a strange look when I propose something as a Maltron or even a Natural Keyboard 4000, not to say a standing desk.
I applaud this initiative and hope for successful commercialisation of the Axios.
And keep researching and developing... 

First, and always, the support of this community means the world to me and these posts always make my day, thank you :D

I think a lot of the reason that up until now companies haven't taken a chance on this sort of thing is potential cost. For my own setup for what I'm doing the budget required is staggering, and I know for a smaller company like Matias it would be difficult to take on as well. Remember as well that most companies buy PCs in a box from places like Dell, and in order for those manufacturers to beat out the competition they have to go as cheap as possible, including a crappy membrane keyboard.

The other major issue is perception. What I've found from the events where people are able to see even the basic layout is how different it looks to a standard keyboard, until you show them that not only is it no different than their regular keyboard, it's also a much more comfortable position. Then the lightbulb clicks on and you can see them really start to think about what a difference it could make in their lives. What I hear quite a bit as well when I show people the Kinesis/Maltron bowl shapes is that it's too intimidating, too scifi, too weird, etc etc. which is also why I'm not starting with a curve, too much of an uphill battle. That's also why I'd like the curve to be something you could upgrade to do the road, make it easier for people to take the first step.

Now, enough with the wordy stuff. While the shape still requires some polish (not so boxy) and I have to design the wrist rest & tenting stand (my gear 2 neo will have to stand in for now), I've finally gotten a rough unit together.

To start, I've made a few changes to the thumb cluster hinges (new on the left, old on the right):

so while the previous design allowed for angle & a little distance, this new setup provides, angle, distance & height.

This has culminated into...

Axios Transform!

(The dreamer/masochist in me spent a disturbing amount of time wondering if I could motorize it :p )

Not only is the thumb cluster adjustable, so is the f-row of keys. So you can pack it up flat for travel, and open it up when you get there. Speaking of travel, I know many of you had asked for a solid board in part because you wanted to travel with it. I've also heard concerns about the thickness of it (I've had them myself), so here's a comparison to my QFR TK:
This is the front edge of the QFR TK compared to the Axios (which is uniform in height when flat)

While this is the back edge of the QFR, and the Axios comes in at a smaller height.

Also worth noting is that with the exception of the thumb cluster Axios comes in at a slightly shorter depth.

Now for a little hands on.

Reaching for the F row.

And for those of you with smaller hands, I also had my minion at work try it as well.

Her fingers are more than an inch shorter than mine and she still finds it comfortable (tho it definitely needs the wrist rest).

I'll be ordering new PCBs tonight (need to update the design for the FPC connectors) and spending the weekend working on the tenting, wrist rest and io plates, so hopefully there should be more updates in the next few days.

Offline brainT

« Reply #1327 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 18:52:34 »
Wow,I'd buy it!  Truly awesome work!

Offline fisofo

« Reply #1328 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 18:53:25 »
Dude, that looks fantastic. Thanks for posting, I'm super excited about this!

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #1329 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 20:51:34 »
Fantastic!   Looks amazing!!!

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #1330 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 21:25:10 »
Gimme!!!!

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #1331 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 22:08:59 »
What I'm seeing in those pictures is the very reason I'm keeping close tabs on this project. The anticipation is almost palpable.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Edit: Is that the final key arrangement?
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 22:15:17 by QuadGMoto »

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #1332 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 22:10:12 »
This looks amazing!!
Totally fit my needs.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #1333 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 02:11:09 »

Now, enough with the wordy stuff. While the shape still requires some polish (not so boxy) and I have to design the wrist rest & tenting stand (my gear 2 neo will have to stand in for now), I've finally gotten a rough unit together.

To start, I've made a few changes to the thumb cluster hinges (new on the left, old on the right):
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

so while the previous design allowed for angle & a little distance, this new setup provides, angle, distance & height.

Show Image

Axios Transform!
Show Image

(The dreamer/masochist in me spent a disturbing amount of time wondering if I could motorize it :p )

Not only is the thumb cluster adjustable, so is the f-row of keys. So you can pack it up flat for travel, and open it up when you get there. Speaking of travel, I know many of you had asked for a solid board in part because you wanted to travel with it. I've also heard concerns about the thickness of it (I've had them myself), so here's a comparison to my QFR TK:
This is the front edge of the QFR TK compared to the Axios (which is uniform in height when flat)
Show Image

While this is the back edge of the QFR, and the Axios comes in at a smaller height.
Show Image

Also worth noting is that with the exception of the thumb cluster Axios comes in at a slightly shorter depth.
Show Image

Now for a little hands on.
Show Image

Reaching for the F row.
Show Image

And for those of you with smaller hands, I also had my minion at work try it as well.
Show Image

Show Image

Her fingers are more than an inch shorter than mine and she still finds it comfortable (tho it definitely needs the wrist rest).

I'll be ordering new PCBs tonight (need to update the design for the FPC connectors) and spending the weekend working on the tenting, wrist rest and io plates, so hopefully there should be more updates in the next few days.

How many positions does your design allow and how do you lock the positions?

I am looking forward to owning one.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 June 2014, 06:08:06 by JackMills »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1334 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 02:36:18 »
Show Image

Axios Transform!
Show Image

<3

Offline tups

« Reply #1335 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 04:21:44 »
This forum seriously needs a +1 button! Amazing piece of work!

Does this mean there is only one design now (no separate flat/travel design)? This looks quite capable. Are the f-keys and thumb cluster removable still? And the diamond-shaped arrow key cluster?

Offline JackMills

« Reply #1336 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 06:11:02 »

Does this mean there is only one design now (no separate flat/travel design)? This looks quite capable. Are the f-keys and thumb cluster removable still? And the diamond-shaped arrow key cluster?

If I look at it, the cluster and the f-key row are attached with hex screws, so detaching them shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 June 2014, 06:21:06 by JackMills »

Offline Koren

« Reply #1337 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 11:24:21 »
Hello everyone... I've also been a lurker for some time and I've just registered to say how impressed and happy I am seeing this project nearing completion.

I'm happy I only discovered the project a couple weeks ago. The wait would have been insane had I seen the Grand Piano last summer. I've been checking this thread for updates several times a day since I found the thread (in fact, I read the entire thread just because...), and I'll buy at least one as soon as it's available...

I've wanted to build an ergonomic keyboard for years, but if electronics and coding isn't a problem, I never found a good solution to create the case/plate (I considered buying a 3D printer, but that's still expensive for not-perfect results). But this project is really, really close to what I dreamed... I just love it.

To be more precise, I intended to use levers instead of "lateral" buttons for the thumbs, but I guess it's a possible hack, I would have loved a "bowl" design (kinesys-style), even if I know it's really difficult to achieve, I would have put an additional row for pinkies and I'm not fond of the "gap" between the inner "arrow" key and the other keys (I prefer the ErgoGP layout by a small margin), but I think using a 1.5u keycap for the arrow can nearly fill this gap.

Still, those are mostly details, it's 95% what I wanted, and so much better than what I could have done (I want a fablab/hacker space in my town!)

I'm eagerly waiting to replace my keyboard, now... and to implement my ideal layout. I intend to develop a configuration tool for this, too, if that can be of any use, should the available one not already allow for any strange ideas I have.

tl;dr : many, many thanks, AcidFire, for all your hard work!

If I look at it, the cluster and the f-key row are attached with hex screws, so detaching them shouldn't be a problem.
Those, definitively. The arrow cluster (TECK-like), on the contrary, would require a different plate and PCB, I think. I guess it could be among the "customize" options, but I'm not sure those will be available at first (?)

Offline conandy

« Reply #1338 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 12:44:01 »
Thanks for all the new pics, Acidfire!  This is some serious keyboard porn!  I LOVE the F-key row, and it's even TILTABLE!!  That SO rocks!  And the fact that the thumb cluster has the variable angle is awesome.  Even more awesome is the fact that if I don't like it...I can dismantle the case and rework the position to my liking in my own cobbled case without having to worry about major electronics work.

Money burning a hole in my pocket.  No longer do I have ANY regrets for passing on the last Ergodox drop.  Can't wait. 

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1339 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 02:18:57 »

Yes, that was the aim with this new revision; to eliminate the need for the separate travel/flat version so that the funding campaign may appeal to more people and not only get us to the funding goal but to some of the extras as well (including bluetooth included in the kits :D).

Also, while the f-row keys won't normally be included with the board to keep the cost down, I will be including them with the kits bought in the funding campaign.

How many positions does your design allow and how do you lock the positions?

I am looking forward to owning one.

Each side of the arms on the thumb cluster allow for 135 degrees of movement with no preset indentations (who am I to decide the right angle for you?). The f-row has a similar range of motion, but will most likely end up a bit more restricted in the final design to protect the FPC cable connecting it to the main case.

The tenting I'm working on allows you to adjust up to an angle of 30 degrees, but I may end up expanding that.

As for locking them, I'm exploring a few options. Right now I'm using a hex driver to tighten them, but I've also tried a couple of versions of thumb screws with varying degrees of success. I've also looked at flip locks but I haven't designed for them before. The hex key gives the best level of comfort when tightening, but I also don't want someone to have to pack a driver with them when they travel. I do have a thought about it I'm going to try modelling for.

Currently yes but not set in stone, nothing will be finalized or approved for production until I have feedback from the beta testers who will be receiving the first units. Was there a particular concern you have?

Hello everyone... I've also been a lurker for some time and I've just registered to say how impressed and happy I am seeing this project nearing completion.

I'm happy I only discovered the project a couple weeks ago. The wait would have been insane had I seen the Grand Piano last summer. I've been checking this thread for updates several times a day since I found the thread (in fact, I read the entire thread just because...), and I'll buy at least one as soon as it's available...

I've wanted to build an ergonomic keyboard for years, but if electronics and coding isn't a problem, I never found a good solution to create the case/plate (I considered buying a 3D printer, but that's still expensive for not-perfect results). But this project is really, really close to what I dreamed... I just love it.

To be more precise, I intended to use levers instead of "lateral" buttons for the thumbs, but I guess it's a possible hack, I would have loved a "bowl" design (kinesys-style), even if I know it's really difficult to achieve, I would have put an additional row for pinkies and I'm not fond of the "gap" between the inner "arrow" key and the other keys (I prefer the ErgoGP layout by a small margin), but I think using a 1.5u keycap for the arrow can nearly fill this gap.

Still, those are mostly details, it's 95% what I wanted, and so much better than what I could have done (I want a fablab/hacker space in my town!)

I'm eagerly waiting to replace my keyboard, now... and to implement my ideal layout. I intend to develop a configuration tool for this, too, if that can be of any use, should the available one not already allow for any strange ideas I have.

tl;dr : many, many thanks, AcidFire, for all your hard work!

Those, definitively. The arrow cluster (TECK-like), on the contrary, would require a different plate and PCB, I think. I guess it could be among the "customize" options, but I'm not sure those will be available at first (?)

Well with the arrow cluster, you can actually get away with a 2u key on the inner one (tho without stabs). An earlier design included 1u instead of the 1.5u for the pinkies, as well as an extra row of keys however it really wasn't comfortable to reach for (and was contrary to the design ethos of trying to reduce travel around the board as much as possible). The lever idea is an interesting one, it makes me think of the Data Hand and would be interesting to try some time :D

Yes, the arrow cluster is part of the current PCB & plate, but there's nothing saying I can't release a version of them (even just the design files) that is similar to the original ergogp layout. Open Source ftw ;)

Offline Koren

« Reply #1340 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 05:51:22 »
An earlier design included 1u instead of the 1.5u for the pinkies, as well as an extra row of keys however it really wasn't comfortable to reach for (and was contrary to the design ethos of trying to reduce travel around the board as much as possible).
I guess it's a matter of habit... Since there's two lateral rows on traditional keyboards and the return key is actually three rows on the left of the pinker rest key, I don't mind using two rows on both sides of the hand (putting the rarest used one on the most external one, of course). There's usually 31 character keys plus two dead keys for french language, and as a programmer I like my {}[]\ etc. directly available, so I'm always fond of more keys ^_^ It's even worse in japanese, there's 50 (59) keys required just for main characters, and many additional converting keys besides ponctuation marks.

And maybe that's me, but I find keys two rows outside for pinkies on the home row more accessible than the keys two row under the ring fingers, for example. The fact that I've played keyboard instruments may have changed my preferences a bit, though (the layout toos, I'm sometimes using several keys for the same character, using them depending on the current state of the hand... like alternate fingerings with flute. E.g. a distant direct access and a close alt-gr access. On the same idea, I like how punctuation marks followed by an upper case character, such as ? and . are shifted keys and the others, like , ; and : are normal keys on AZERTY keyboards... I used to import belgian azerty keyboards which, I think, are a nice blend between qwerty and azerty)

That being said, that's just a small detail, I just love your work. I couldn't stop myself yesterday evening from tweaking my layout to adapt to those small changes. I'm now ready and eagerly wait to send you money ^_^ A big programmation task probably awaits, though (I need a kind of macro keys aware of previous keystrokes, for example to be able to build a japanese kana layer that doesn't need a driver, sending Hepburn sequences for each kana character. But it's a problematic task : a き press can be translated as 'ki' but if you follow it by ゃ, you need to send backspace then 'kya', the Hepburn sequence for きゃ. Of course, the replacement sequence depends on the previous key. I wasn't expecting to be able to do this with a normal keyboard, but since those kind of keyboards are wonderfully capable of customization...)

Yes, the arrow cluster is part of the current PCB & plate, but there's nothing saying I can't release a version of them (even just the design files) that is similar to the original ergogp layout. Open Source ftw ;)
Yes, another reason to find all this great. But if I can avoid finding someone that'll produce a 4-layers PCB then soldering SMD components, just for a single key position, I'm all for it ^_^
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 June 2014, 05:53:07 by Koren »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Nexus [In Development]
« Reply #1341 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 07:48:57 »
n/m

Offline xman

« Reply #1342 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 08:06:02 »
                    OK, AcidFire, you win.
After looking at your pictures that you posted Fri, 13 June 2014:
I personally prefer your design over any other split keyboard design
that I've ever seen anywhere.
                   When your keyboard works (with full NKRO) with Plover,
I'm going to have to buy it.
            Can't speak for the other 329 Plover Google Group members,
but I'm guessing I won't be alone.
       Thanks
xman

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ploversteno/0snNzQ9jtt0

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!aboutgroup/ploversteno

http://stenoknight.com/wiki/Main_Page

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1343 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 09:00:23 »
I'm also a plover group member, and I'm buying one as soon as it's available...

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1344 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:07:37 »
An earlier design included 1u instead of the 1.5u for the pinkies, as well as an extra row of keys however it really wasn't comfortable to reach for (and was contrary to the design ethos of trying to reduce travel around the board as much as possible).
I guess it's a matter of habit... Since there's two lateral rows on traditional keyboards and the return key is actually three rows on the left of the pinker rest key, I don't mind using two rows on both sides of the hand (putting the rarest used one on the most external one, of course). There's usually 31 character keys plus two dead keys for french language, and as a programmer I like my {}[]\ etc. directly available, so I'm always fond of more keys ^_^ It's even worse in japanese, there's 50 (59) keys required just for main characters, and many additional converting keys besides ponctuation marks.

And maybe that's me, but I find keys two rows outside for pinkies on the home row more accessible than the keys two row under the ring fingers, for example. The fact that I've played keyboard instruments may have changed my preferences a bit, though (the layout toos, I'm sometimes using several keys for the same character, using them depending on the current state of the hand... like alternate fingerings with flute. E.g. a distant direct access and a close alt-gr access. On the same idea, I like how punctuation marks followed by an upper case character, such as ? and . are shifted keys and the others, like , ; and : are normal keys on AZERTY keyboards... I used to import belgian azerty keyboards which, I think, are a nice blend between qwerty and azerty)

That being said, that's just a small detail, I just love your work. I couldn't stop myself yesterday evening from tweaking my layout to adapt to those small changes. I'm now ready and eagerly wait to send you money ^_^ A big programmation task probably awaits, though (I need a kind of macro keys aware of previous keystrokes, for example to be able to build a japanese kana layer that doesn't need a driver, sending Hepburn sequences for each kana character. But it's a problematic task : a き press can be translated as 'ki' but if you follow it by ゃ, you need to send backspace then 'kya', the Hepburn sequence for きゃ. Of course, the replacement sequence depends on the previous key. I wasn't expecting to be able to do this with a normal keyboard, but since those kind of keyboards are wonderfully capable of customization...)

The thing to remember with the extra keys, particularly ones like programmer keys is that on this current revision the second row of 1.5u above the main row is very easily reachable with your thumbs (I know I plan to try putting them there ;) ) so that might work for you as alternative solution.

I find your aim to make something like japanese work within the board instead of on the PC side extremely interesting, in part because it falls in with the direction of the board not requiring support on the PC side to function (also because I love the language). I'll lend you whatever support I can to make it happen and if we can possibly roll these additions into the main firmware release.

Yes, another reason to find all this great. But if I can avoid finding someone that'll produce a 4-layers PCB then soldering SMD components, just for a single key position, I'm all for it ^_^

Well the key clusters are only 2 layer, so they're not nearly as expensive or difficult to produce ;) But I don't blame you, SMD work can be a pain in the ass. After the main version is done, I plan to run polls/preorders/group buys for alternative layouts based on user feedback and suggestions. And of course, there's nothing stopping someone else from doing a design for this controller either :D

OK, AcidFire, you win.
After looking at your pictures that you posted Fri, 13 June 2014:
I personally prefer your design over any other split keyboard design
that I've ever seen anywhere.
                   When your keyboard works (with full NKRO) with Plover,
I'm going to have to buy it.
            Can't speak for the other 329 Plover Google Group members,
but I'm guessing I won't be alone.
       Thanks
xman

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ploversteno/0snNzQ9jtt0

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!aboutgroup/ploversteno

http://stenoknight.com/wiki/Main_Page
I'm also a plover group member, and I'm buying one as soon as it's available...

I'm hoping to have NKRO finished before the boards go out to people after the campaign, if not shortly after. I've had a couple of people offer to help with it and so they'll be getting preproduction models first and we'll do what we must because we can (I couldn't resist  :)) )

Offline naz

« Reply #1345 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 13:19:32 »
wow!! this is it! i've looking for a new split keyboard, but none of the currents ones i really like (i play classic guitar, so i got worried when the wrist pain started for using those damn traditional keyboards and mouse all day at the office (i'm an engeneer).:

- ergodox is too big for my hands (about an inch shorter than average)
- maltron is not programable, way too expensive and way too ugly
- advantage kinesis doesn't split, wich is funny since theire slogan is "separation beats splay for comfort", can't really use the space in the middle and doesn't have a proper set of arrows keys (i use those a lot while inputing numbers on excel sheets)
- freestyle2 doesn't have the align columns and uses membrane
- so on and so on....

now acidfire team appear and it looks just perfect (i know you been working on this for about a year now, but i just found this forum about a week ago so it's new to me XD)

so a few question:

is there a release date yet??
where can i sign for the first batch??
do you have a website with news or do you use this forum alone??
will it be a kit like the the ergodox??
do you have a price yet??

Thanks a lot for innovating!

Offline Koren

« Reply #1346 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 14:13:36 »
The thing to remember with the extra keys, particularly ones like programmer keys is that on this current revision the second row of 1.5u above the main row is very easily reachable with your thumbs (I know I plan to try putting them there ;) )
I noticed that, indeed. I placed more modifiers on the thumb clusters, and that freed enough keys to make everything easily reachable. There's more keys reachable than on a classic keyboard, so that's already good.

I find your aim to make something like japanese work within the board instead of on the PC side extremely interesting, in part because it falls in with the direction of the board not requiring support on the PC side to function (also because I love the language).
That's exactly what I thought. That's not a perfect solution, because you still need an IME installed (or a program with integrated japanese support, like JWPCE which can be carried on a USB key). But at least you won't need to install drivers for the keyboard to support kana entering. Just maybe some configuration to set up the henkan & muhenkan keys.

Small configuration tweaks in the keyboard can be done without installing anything, anyway (I even used the capslock / numlock LEDs in the past to send data back to a custom device acting as a fake keyboard for the system). As long as the PC believe you're entering Hepburn sequences, that'll do I think.

But I don't blame you, SMD work can be a pain in the ass.
My friends in a robotic club find SMD "not challenging enough" and are doing BGA soldering now for FPGAs and microcontrollers, using a custom oven. As crazy as it sounds, it (usually) works. So I have some experience in SMD soldering (they design nearly everything this way), but I still don't like it much.

At least, you still see the components... In my lab, diods were packaged in capsules (like drugs) because they were as thin as hairs. I remember trying to find one fallen on the floor, the hell it was! ^_^

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #1347 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 15:05:49 »
As for locking them, I'm exploring a few options. Right now I'm using a hex driver to tighten them, but I've also tried a couple of versions of thumb screws with varying degrees of success. I've also looked at flip locks but I haven't designed for them before. The hex key gives the best level of comfort when tightening, but I also don't want someone to have to pack a driver with them when they travel. I do have a thought about it I'm going to try modelling for.
in the world of wailing shred guitar we have handy allen key holders like this http://guitarheads.net/products/hardware/misc/allen.html maybe you can work something like that into the design.

more variations on the theme here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=guitar+headstock+allen+key&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oPydU5XPIsH80QX61oDoDQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1753&bih=847
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 June 2014, 15:08:03 by eviltobz »

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #1348 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 16:37:43 »
Currently yes but not set in stone, nothing will be finalized or approved for production until I have feedback from the beta testers who will be receiving the first units. Was there a particular concern you have?

Nope, just anxious to figure out the layout I want to use.  ;D

But now that you ask, I do have a comment, not a complaint.  ;)

I have found that having the navigation keys tucked into that spot has lead to accidents on my TECK. But that has a lot to due with habits that I'm having to change. I expect the Axios layout will lead to even more accidents as I'm climbing the learning curve. There have been times when I've wished they weren't tucked in quite as close or that there was some sort of tactile indication that my fingers were on a navigation button instead of whatever I thought it was.

Do you have a plan for indicator lights? (Caps lock, num lock, something programmed)

Offline jeep

« Reply #1349 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 23:54:41 »
I think the only way to improve on this for me is to have the key to the right of the arrow keys be a scroll wheel. (As long as I'm greedy, maybe a tilt scroll wheel :) ).