Author Topic: Mice: Wireless Conflicts?  (Read 8225 times)

Offline ozar

Mice: Wireless Conflicts?
« on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 13:07:05 »
Guys, I've always used wired mice for several different reasons but am now considering trying wireless mice once again.   My question is, would two wireless mice on computers that sit right next to each other suffer from signal conflicts, or does each mouse come set to work on a different frequency so that signal conflicts are unlikely?

Thanks for the help to anyone that can answer.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 14:04:48 »
If they do conflict, it could be hours of fun for the whole family! :D

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 15:11:12 »
I use two wireless mice (Microsoft Wireless Optical 3k and Microsoft Wireless Natural Laser 5000) and it doesn't seem to be a problem...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline ozar

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 15:20:06 »
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Quote from: zwmalone;22773
I use two wireless mice (Microsoft Wireless Optical 3k and Microsoft Wireless Natural Laser 5000) and it doesn't seem to be a problem...

Do you think it works because it's two different models, or do you think it would work just as well if both mouse models were the same?

I've bought wireless mice several times before and never cared for them, so I'm trying to be more careful this time.  :)

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 15:21:44 »
They're both RF and not bluetooth but as to whether they run on different frequencies I have no idea.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 18:12:16 »
Bluetooth uses MAC-address based communications, so the wrong mouse will ignore packets not meant for it.

RF mice usually hop to a random frequency. Just don't put a mouse into connect mode while connecting the other mouse to the base, and you should be fine... and if there is interference, reconnect one of the mice.

Offline ozar

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 18:51:20 »
Ok, sounds good, and I appreciate the help!

Offline cchan

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 20:50:45 »
Quote from: itlnstln;22764
If they do conflict, it could be hours of fun for the whole family! :D
Mousetrap!
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline ozar

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 20:56:48 »
Wired is definitely my preferred mouse, but it does get old dealing with that cable hanging onto the mouse all the time.  Hopefully, wireless mice have improved since I last tried them.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 21:26:32 »
The ones I've used work fantastic as long as the battery(s) are fresh.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 06:40:32 »
Quote from: Tales;22815
Mousetrap!

Strong.  I forgot about that game.  Good work. :)

Offline ozar

update regarding conflicts
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 February 2009, 12:54:38 »
Ok, I purchased a Logitech RX720 wireless and a Logitech MX1100 wireless and hooked them up to the two adjacent computers and no wireless conflicts between them.  Unfortunately, I quickly found that wireless mice still don't appeal to me.  They don't seem to track or feel the same as wired mice, and the occasional dropouts bother me, but in the end I do like the RX720 better than the MX1100.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 13:42:48 »
Quote from: ozar;22817
Wired is definitely my preferred mouse, but it does get old dealing with that cable hanging onto the mouse all the time.  Hopefully, wireless mice have improved since I last tried them.

You need the mouse bungee. I got a couple, and they are awesome for making a wired mouse feel wireless.  Really!
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline ozar

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 14:43:54 »
Hey, thanks for the link!  :cool:

That looks like a good idea, and it appears to be something that I might be able make myself without too much effort.

Sadly, I've tried wireless mice 3 or 4 times over the last five years or so, and on this attempt I spent over $120 on them only to find that they still suck big time (at least in my own opinion).  In fact, wired products of any kind always seem to satisfy me far better than the wireless version of the same product.

Oh well, another lesson learned...

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 15:17:58 »
I've actually been using a wireless for a long time, and it was weird to realize how heavy they are compared to wired mice, due to the batteries in the former.  I only recently bought a couple wired mice for gaming, and I have to say that I definitely prefer them, especially with the mouse bungee.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 22:57:28 »
The few times I've used wireless mice, I've kinda liked the heft, actually.

But I prefer my mice embedded in my keyboards, between the G, H, and B keys, with three buttons at the bottom of the keyboard. :)

Offline ozar

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 23:00:18 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;23800
But I prefer my mice embedded in my keyboards, between the G, H, and B keys, with three buttons at the bottom of the keyboard. :)

I've never tried one of those but they seem like they'd be hard to get used to.

Are they, or does one adapt quickly?

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 23:06:09 »
Some people can't ever get used to them, some people take to them quickly.

At my old job, though, we deployed a crap-ton of ThinkPad X61 tablets. Which don't have touchpads to fall back on (although they did have the passive+active panels, so people could touch the screens directly...)

I got to see WHY people can't learn the TrackPoint, and how to teach them to use it properly.

The first thing to do is... on a normal TrackPoint, the driver has its own sensitivity setting, and Windows has one. Max both out. That'll keep you from holding on it for more than 3 seconds (unless you have a large screen,) so it'll never recalibrate itself while moving the pointer. (When a TrackPoint sees a continuous force for 3 seconds, it recenters on that force. Remember that, and that's why the pointer may go zooming across the screen if you rest your finger on it, then let go.)

Then, whatever you do, don't flick the thing. That doesn't give you any accuracy, that just sends the pointer across the screen in small jumps. Use a constant (but light) force, that'll be best.

Offline ozar

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 23:12:34 »
Thanks for the info.  I've been considering one of the black M13's that I posted about in the other thread.  It's actually the trackpoint that has kept me from buying, but I might reconsider based on your post above.

However, I really need to sell some keyboards before I buy more.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 23:16:54 »
In the case of an M13, unfortunately, you don't get the driver sensitivity setting, which makes it a bit more annoying to use. :(

Offline ozar

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 07 March 2009, 09:42:18 »
Thanks for the additional information, bhtooefr.  With that in mind, I'll be passing on the M13.

Offline CX23882

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 07 March 2009, 14:38:31 »
I didn't realise that you could buy those Mouse Bungee things integrated into the mouse mat.  The thing that has put me off buying one is that I use a keyboard tray (very wide but not very deep) and was concerned that there wouldn't be enough room but it looks like there might be.

I prefer using a wired mouse to wireless but hate the resistance as the cord snags on the edge of the keyboard tray.  I constructed my own bungee type thing a couple of years ago that was basically a shoe-lace attached to the underside of the desk surface, through which I fed the mouse cord.  It was super-ghetto though and also kept dropping off.

Offline ozar

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 17:38:08 »
Unfortunately, the black mouse bungee is out of stock everywhere that I've looked.

As for the mouse issue, I ended up buying the Logitech G9 and it feels great in my hand.  The tracking is fine as well, but the right-click is more sensitive than the left-click and the wheel is a bit hard to press as a middle-click button.  Otherwise, it's perfect (other than having a cord to deal with).