Author Topic: I need a wireless mouse  (Read 5659 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I need a wireless mouse
« on: Wed, 04 February 2009, 20:31:16 »
How are the Microsofts compared to the Logitecs? Can anyone recommend one for in the $100 range?

Offline billm

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 February 2009, 20:34:20 »
Quote from: xsphat;20838
How are the Microsofts compared to the Logitecs? Can anyone recommend one for in the $100 range?

I like how you can toggle the mouse wheel into spin mode on the logitechs.
If it's not ALPS it's crap!

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 February 2009, 20:34:38 »
Don't the Microsoft mice have that nasty smooth scrolling wheel?

Offline wellington1869

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 February 2009, 21:08:39 »
ms generally has the smooth scroll. the newer logitechs have the option to switch between ratchets and smooth scrolls. (However I have to say two VX revolution mice I had both failed within 6 months. Thats not to say all logitechs fail that way, just a string of bad luck). I used to use ms mice (very high quality builds on them) but switched to logitech because of the ms smooth scroll which sucked in games. I need a ratcheting wheel.
Battery and range on both (ms and logitech) are excellent by the way, in my experience.

As for a specific recommendation, I've always liked the mx revolution (tho i've never actually owned one). I think it sells new at amazon in the $70 range.  I'm using two $40 logitechs now, a VX revolution for my bag, and a wired-and-reliable mx400 at my desk. I've also had an mx 610 (the wireless version of the 400) and loved it, I think its about $45. Very reliable and fits my hand very well.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline zwmalone

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 February 2009, 21:22:12 »
Yeah they do.  I actually prefer it.  LOL linear vs clicky scroll wheels :D
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 February 2009, 23:13:29 »
I used a Logitech V270 for 2 years and loved it.  Then I switched up to the 470 and the "clicky" wheel also does side-to-side scrolling.  I didn't think I'd like leaving the 270 but I haven't looked back, either.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline itlnstln

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 February 2009, 06:45:13 »
I like the linear scroll wheel for work (spreadsheets, code, other docs, etc) and the clicky wheel for games.  I use an MS Natural 6000 wireless mouse at work, and it's honetly the best mouse I have ever used.  It is a little hard to get used to at first, because of the hand angle, but after you get used to it, you have no wrist pain, and it's very easy to use.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 February 2009, 11:17:08 »
Thanks guys. My mouse at work is starting to get a little buggy, but it is three years old. I was thinking about buying a new mouse and taking the Razer Copperhead to work. I think I just need to go to Best Buy and play with mice to see what I like. The truth is I don't hear anything bad about MicroSoft 6000s so I think that might be the best bet for me. Do they use batteries or is there a docking station or what?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 February 2009, 11:48:00 »
Does anyone know anybody who likes the Apple Mighty Mouse? The only people I've ever run into who like it are the "it has to be the best because it came with my computer" crowd. I used one at work for a while and soon it became apparent I was going to have to spend half my time using it, the other half cleaning the scroll ball so it would work properly.

Just a question.

Offline itlnstln

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 February 2009, 12:33:44 »
The MS Natural 6000 uses AAs.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 February 2009, 12:36:28 »
How long do the batteries last? I can pick these up New out of box for like $40 shipped on eBay, is that a decent deal?

Offline itlnstln

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 February 2009, 12:42:48 »
I have had mine since August, I think, and I have not had to change the batteries once.  I have another wireless mouse from MS, and I don't think I have changed its batteries in over a year.  That eBay price is pretty good.  I paid about the same price from Newegg.

Offline Biggs

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 February 2009, 22:01:52 »
Quote from: itlnstln;20860
I like the linear scroll wheel for work (spreadsheets, code, other docs, etc) and the clicky wheel for games.  I use an MS Natural 6000 wireless mouse at work, and it's honetly the best mouse I have ever used.  It is a little hard to get used to at first, because of the hand angle, but after you get used to it, you have no wrist pain, and it's very easy to use.

Great mouse but is hindered by two flaws:

1) Scroll button is too smooth (no ratcheting)
2) Huge-ass receiver module (it's as big as the mouse itself!)

Microsoft should make an updated model with Bluetooth!!!!  Have you looked into the Lenovo Bluetooth Laser Mouse?

Offline itlnstln

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 February 2009, 07:07:44 »
Quote from: Biggs;20912
Great mouse but is hindered by two flaws:

1) Scroll button is too smooth (no ratcheting)
2) Huge-ass receiver module (it's as big as the mouse itself!)

Show Image

Microsoft should make an updated model with Bluetooth!!!!  Have you looked into the Lenovo Bluetooth Laser Mouse?

Flaws are in the eye of the beholder:

1) The smooth scroll wheel is great for scrolling around in documents and web pages (the side to side scrolling is also very nice).  I find racheting wheels only really useful for gaming or some other application where being able to scoll one "notch" is necessary, and I do not find them useful at all when scrolling in documents.

2) I put the module behind the monitor, so I don't even see it.  The Logitech wireless mice I have had weren't a whole lot better in the size department, either, but I did think they looked a little better.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 February 2009, 08:42:44 »
Try Ctrl-scroll zooming with something smooth. It ain't pretty. (Ctrl-TrackPoint scroll is even worse, though, as you don't have a physical point of reference with that.)

Offline itlnstln

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 February 2009, 09:44:52 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;20935
Try Ctrl-scroll zooming with something smooth. It ain't pretty. (Ctrl-TrackPoint scroll is even worse, though, as you don't have a physical point of reference with that.)

Good call.  Fortunately, I don't do that often.

Offline kyamei

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 05:35:13 »
I'd say pick up an MX1000 (though they'd probably be used since they aren't made anymore).  Comfy, rechargeable, pretty good battery life, "tactile" scroll wheel, 3 thumb buttons, horizontal scrolling, accurate tracking, what more is there to want?  Bought one when they were first released years ago, loved it so much I hunted down another NIB one (surprisingly, I found it in the newspaper classifieds).  I know there is the MX1100, but I don't find it quite as comfortable as the 1000.

Tried the MX Revolution, but it would always "lag". Some people said the wireless adapter needed to be right next to the mouse, but I didn't bother trying.  I just returned it.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline schmolch

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 08:30:03 »
Today i got a MX 1100 and i will return it.
The problem is that i used a cheap corded logitech for the last months and not being wireless this mouse is very light.
You move it, it moves.
You stop moving it, it stops immediately.

The mx1100 weighs a lot more and glides very easily, but when i stop moving it, it still keeps moving a little.
The mass and inertia just does not allow me to move the cursor as quickly and precisely as i was used to.

Im not sure what to do now, i guess all wireless mice would have this issue.

Offline zwmalone

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 14:50:56 »
Quote from: itlnstln;20929
Flaws are in the eye of the beholder:

1) The smooth scroll wheel is great for scrolling around in documents and web pages (the side to side scrolling is also very nice).  I find racheting wheels only really useful for gaming or some other application where being able to scoll one "notch" is necessary, and I do not find them useful at all when scrolling in documents.

2) I put the module behind the monitor, so I don't even see it.  The Logitech wireless mice I have had weren't a whole lot better in the size department, either, but I did think they looked a little better.

I do the exact same thing.  I don't even notice the receiver because I have such a thick monitor (CRT).  As for gaming I haven't noticed any problems when I play TF2, where the scroll is necessary to swap weapons...

Offline Busty

Why wireless?
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 February 2009, 11:23:43 »
I've been using a Mighty Mouse Bluetooth at home more or less than it came out and it works well and batteries last long. But lately I prefer the old noname ps/2 wired mouse I got in the office.
Why did wireless mouse become so popular? They are heavier and even the best 2.4 Ghz tech sometimes can have hick ups.

Offline zwmalone

I need a wireless mouse
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 February 2009, 12:44:58 »
Quote from: Busty;21217
I've been using a Mighty Mouse Bluetooth at home more or less than it came out and it works well and batteries last long. But lately I prefer the old noname ps/2 wired mouse I got in the office.
Why did wireless mouse become so popular? They are heavier and even the best 2.4 Ghz tech sometimes can have hick ups.

Some people like the weight.  If I didn't have this mouse (MS Wireless Laser 5k) I'd definitely have something like a logitech g5 with it's weights system.