Author Topic: Best mouse for left handed people?  (Read 15641 times)

Offline wumpyr

Best mouse for left handed people?
« on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 19:16:37 »
I'm left handed however possibly strangely use my mouse with the left hand at home but right hand at work.  Perhaps I'm just 50% evil then?  Alas, I digress.

Anyway, I have started to get some RSI with heavy left handed use of my MS wireless explorer 2.0.  Switch hands you say? well ok yes, fair point.

My question still stands though - what do you lefties recommend/use for a normal mouse?  

Requirements: 2 buttons, some type of scroll wheel, preferably wireless.  Not interested in special game use.

A few of the mice I have seen, including some microsoft ones are clearly not suitable for left handers.  TBH, I'd like to get rid of the last microsoft item I have and not buy another one :)

thanks!
wumpyr
IBM Model M13 Raven Black \'96, \'97 (2), \'98 (2)
IBM Model M13 Industrial Gray \'96 (2)
IBM Model M Industrial Gray \'88, \'94
IBM Model M White Label 1391401 \'92
IBM Model M International \'95 (2), \'96
IBM Model M 52G9658 \'93
IBM Model M 1370475 Mini \'93

Offline bigpook

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 19:27:44 »
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline wumpyr

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 19:43:33 »
Quote from: bigpook;19364
you like trackballs?

http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html

Never tried them properly really (only when sitting at other people's computers for a short time, so not enough to have an opinion as I typically go erk and navigate like a slow man because I'm not used to them).  

Aren't they less productive? (willing to be converted if I know the pro/cons).

If it means something like learning to fly Airbus after being used to Boeing then I may have to stick to a mouse since it's so ingrained.

Did you convert to trackball?  If so, how long did it take you to get productive with it?
IBM Model M 52G9658 \'93

Offline cchan

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 19:44:13 »
I use a Logitech Marble Mouse trackball. If I had to use a mouse mouse with my left hand, I'd probably break out my old Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical five-button. I like its classic design, and I think it's still sold.

ETA: When I switched from a mouse with my right hand to a trackball with my left hand, it took me about two days to get back to being as productive as I felt before.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline bigpook

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 20:12:46 »
Quote from: wumpyr;19369
Never tried them properly really (only when sitting at other people's computers for a short time, so not enough to have an opinion as I typically go erk and navigate like a slow man because I'm not used to them).  

Aren't they less productive? (willing to be converted if I know the pro/cons).

If it means something like learning to fly Airbus after being used to Boeing then I may have to stick to a mouse since it's so ingrained.

Did you convert to trackball?  If so, how long did it take you to get productive with it?

I think trackballs are an acquired taste. Especially the one that I linked to.
There is some adjustment too. But like anything else you adapt.
Not sure if they are less productive, since it works fine for me. I use a "regular" mouse on the right side  when I play games, which is not too often. For games I use a logitech G5 mouse. But everything else is left-handed with the kensington.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 20:14:10 »
Quote from: webwit;19371
I have been trying some different things lately, coming from ordinary mice. Comparative review next week perhaps. In the end, the normal mouse is best, but it gives me rsi exactly like the poster.

Not sure if a normal mouse is "best". I think its more personal preference.
I think that mice are more subjective then keyboards. And we all have our favorites.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 20:51:16 »
I am left-handed but have always used the mouse with my right hand.  It's just how I learned since that was the acceptable method for mousing...it never dawned on me early on to try with my left hand.  :)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 20:53:42 »
Quote from: iMav;19379
I am left-handed but have always used the mouse with my right hand.  It's just how I learned since that was the acceptable method for mousing...it never dawned on me early on to try with my left hand.  :)

Its possible to change if you really want to. It took a week or so for me to adjust when I made the switch. Now I can mouse with both hands.
Its not like there is some unwritten law that says you must mouse with the right hand. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with mousing with the right hand.

Offline iMav

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 20:58:21 »
Quote from: bigpook;19380
Its possible to change if you really want to. It took a week or so for me to adjust when I made the switch. Now I can mouse with both hands.
Its not like there is some unwritten law that says you must mouse with the right hand. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with mousing with the right hand.

I have no desire to change.  I experience enough discrimination as a left-handed individual (scissors, weapon grips, knives, etc.)...I don't need to purposely limit my mousing choices as well.  (besides, unless someone makes a retro Logitech Trackman Marble for lefties, what's the point?)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 07:41:40 »
Quote from: iMav;19381
I have no desire to change.  I experience enough discrimination as a left-handed individual (scissors, weapon grips, knives, etc.)...I don't need to purposely limit my mousing choices as well.  (besides, unless someone makes a retro Logitech Trackman Marble for lefties, what's the point?)

Its personal choice, you don't have to change if you don't want to. I  agree its limiting when you look for left-handed mice. Theres not a whole lot of choice available.

Offline iMav

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 07:58:45 »
I do, however, trackpoint with my left index finger.  (and use left fingers exclusively on trackpads).

So, I do switch it up a bit.  :)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 08:04:00 »
Quote from: iMav;19426
I do, however, trackpoint with my left index finger.  (and use left fingers exclusively on trackpads).

So, I do switch it up a bit.  :)

lol, I don't think I can use my left index finger on a trackpad. I would have to make that adjustment, it can be done though. Its funny that now that I am using the mini keyboards with no  numpad I could put the mouse back on the right hand side. But I kind of like it on the left hand side now.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 10:28:45 »
I'm right-handed, but somewhat trackpoint-ambidextrous. Depends on where on the keyboard I'm typing while mousing.

Offline Kraicheck

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 13:57:02 »
I'm currently using the wireless Logitech LX8 and loving it.

It has great weight, good grip, well positioned buttons, a clicking (sidescrolling) scrollwheel, and the setpoint/uberoptions software gives you great programmability.

Offline wumpyr

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 16:57:23 »
Quote from: Kraicheck;19490
I'm currently using the wireless Logitech LX8 and loving it.

It has great weight, good grip, well positioned buttons, a clicking (sidescrolling) scrollwheel, and the setpoint/uberoptions software gives you great programmability.

This seems like an option for left handers, however it doesn't seem too different to my MS wireless explorer in terms of shape.  Don't you get RSI from the logitech?
IBM Model M 52G9658 \'93

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 January 2009, 13:28:15 »
Use ambidextrous mice like the range Razer make, i use the razer copperhead, but its the same on both sides so i guess it suits lefties too
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Kraicheck

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 January 2009, 03:53:00 »
Quote from: wumpyr;19502
This seems like an option for left handers, however it doesn't seem too different to my MS wireless explorer in terms of shape.  Don't you get RSI from the logitech?
I don't have any problems using this mouse for long periods of intensive use (first person shooters).

Offline Chuque

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 27 January 2009, 18:48:41 »

I am almost this bad.  I mouse left handed, becase some 25 years ago I didn't want to deal with the learning curve of mousing righty, howver back then you couldn't "swap" mouse buttons, so to this day I still click with my middle finger and right click with my index.

the mouse I use and recommend is is the microsoft laser 8000  it is comfortable, bluetooth, and had the extra side buttons I like.

Offline MellonCollie

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 30 January 2009, 14:48:35 »
I'm hunting for a good lefty-friendly mouse too. I currently have my beady eye (the left one) on a Razer Diamondback 3G. Years ago I used the cheap and cheerful Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse. I remember this as being a nice little mouse to use, but my mind might be playing tricks on me. :confused:

Edit: Also, have a look at the Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical, and the Wheel Mouse Optical. I have an IntelliMouse Optical knocking around here somewhere, and the only complaint I have is that the shoulder buttons feel quite feeble.

Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2
Cherry G84-4100

Offline cchan

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 30 January 2009, 22:50:42 »
I have a Basic Optical Mouse, and it's okay. Nothing fancy, pretty lightweight and the cord tends to drag it, but it's not bad.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 31 January 2009, 03:58:21 »
Tried the Evoluent Vertical Mouse?  I use the right-handed wired version.  It's a laser mouse, so compared to optical, the pointer tracking isn't as accurate, which is especially noticeable in Ubuntu. The driver software for Windows allows you to customize the buttons.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline MellonCollie

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 February 2009, 06:31:13 »
Quote from: MellonCollie;20294
I'm hunting for a good lefty-friendly mouse too. I currently have my beady eye (the left one) on a Razer Diamondback 3G.

I avoided the bling-bling of the Diamondback 3G and bought a Razer Salmosa instead. Initial impressions are very good! It fits my beautifully manicured, standard-issue, medium-sized adult male hand nicely, and it's extremely light. It's not a mouse for button lovers though, as it only has an 'old skool' 3-button design. The scroll wheel is the nicest feeling scroll wheel I've ever used.

Edit: If wireless is a must you should have a look at the leftie version of the Logitech MX610.

Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2
Cherry G84-4100

Offline wumpyr

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 February 2009, 15:14:12 »
Quote from: fkeidjn;20386
Tried the Evoluent Vertical Mouse?  I use the right-handed wired version.  It's a laser mouse, so compared to optical, the pointer tracking isn't as accurate, which is especially noticeable in Ubuntu. The driver software for Windows allows you to customize the buttons.

This mouse looks quite interesting.  I often find I am resting the side of my hand on the desk and using my index finger to work the scroll wheel and change up the classic hold of the mouse.  I would prefer a wireless left handed version - I've fired off an email to evoluent to see if they have one coming.

What is your view after using it?
IBM Model M 52G9658 \'93

Offline wumpyr

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 February 2009, 21:11:17 »
Evoluent claim there are no plans for a left handed wireless vertical mouse 3. :(
IBM Model M 52G9658 \'93

Offline wumpyr

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 05 February 2009, 16:42:19 »
I've ordered the left handed Evoluent variant to try it out.  Will post back here about how it goes once I've played with it.
IBM Model M 52G9658 \'93

Offline wumpyr

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 13 February 2009, 23:07:57 »
G'day

Ok, I received the left handed evoluent vertical mouse 2 (VM2-LSB) and I've been using it for a few days now.

Overall impression is pretty good, but you need to get used to it.  It detects fine under Linux and seems to be manufactured by somebody else, hmm ok then.

Code: [Select]
input: Kingsis Peripherals  Evoluent VerticalMouse 2  as /class/input/input10
input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Kingsis Peripherals  Evoluent VerticalMouse 2 ] on usb-0000:00:1d.7-6.1
usb 2-6.1: New USB device found, idVendor=2222, idProduct=3061
usb 2-6.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 2-6.1: Product: Evoluent VerticalMouse 2
usb 2-6.1: Manufacturer: Kingsis Peripherals

Now I must admit, I did want a wireless left handed version, but alas they claim it's not going to be made.  Hopefully they will change their mind at some point.  There were a couple of other reasons why I would like to try a rev 2 left handed version.  Firstly, what to do with your pinky!  I am finding that I tend to have to have it sticking out and resting on the table when I hold the mouse, since trying to put all your fingers on the mouse doesn't work that well for me, it's just too crowded when trying to use all the buttons.  I tend to place my 3 inside fingers on each of the 3 buttons.

Now, the rev 2 seems to have been been modified with a lip/flange on the base for your pinky finger, I'd like to see if that helps or hinders.  The other small niggle is the scroll wheel.  It's good enough I guess, but the rev 2 also has a bumpy style scroll wheel apparently which I now declare I prefer after having used the smooth one on this version.  Personal preference I guess.  I've also defaulted to using my index finger for the scroll wheel, I think it's easier.

If there is one thing I don't like about it, it's the smooth glossy almost cheapish looking light gray plastic that is used for the buttons and most of the front.  The finish just makes it look and feel a bit cheap, like all the $5 mice out there - a slightly textured finish or really anything else would be nicer.  No complaints really about the other black plastic used, perfect for that part of the mouse.

While it has only been a few days, I have noticed a small reduction in my ongoing hand strain, though it's too early to tell how much better it will be, but I am happy with any level of improvement.  The Evoluent mouse is quite natural to hold, it's optical sensor is very accurate, the default speed is sensible and I suspect becoming more comfortable with it as time goes on.  If I end up seeing more improvement, I will also splash out on a right hand version and switch between them to minimise any RSI.

Have a great day lefties... oh ok... righties too... :)
IBM Model M 52G9658 \'93

Offline Haruko

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 14 February 2009, 04:26:27 »
I am left-handed but have always used the mouse with my right hand.

That's the same with me, but I haven't really found a reason to change to left hand just yet, and seeming as a lot of mouses are right handed and public computers have their mouses to the right side usually. I guess it's a slight advantage.

As for the mouse I use, it's a Logitech G15 and it hasn't let me down just yet, it's fast enough for me. I usually have it on the medium setting. (800DPI I think)
Using: White Label IBM Model M (1391401) (Dec 92\')

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 10:30:56 »
Yet another of them right-mousing lefties here :D - I grew up like that. (However, I don't have much of a problem using a right-handed mouse with the left hand either.)

Have had my share of problems with input rodents, too. Strangely enough, the oldschool flat ones always worked fine for me, but my wrist isn't so fond of the newfangled high ones (including the "old" MS Intelli Explorer 3.0).
My main mouse has been an OEM Logitech (M-BJ58) for years now - one of these where the little round teflon feet like to fall off (I had to glue them back on like a thousand times, but eventually they stuck). No frills, but no paint to wear off either, plus it's been running like a champ. I tend to hold it a little sideways, also because it's a touch small for my hands, but other than that I get along with it just fine. (That position doesn't work with the Intellimouse.) I could use a sliding palm rest though, as it does eventually show when you have your palm sliding around on the desk. :eek: Maybe the right mouse for me would look more like a beaver :D

I guess a lot of these ergonomic issues depend on factors like table height vs. chair height, arm length and table front edge to input device distance. If your forearm is at desk level or even below in a normal sitting position (as it's for me) and the input device isn't reasonable close to the front edge, chances are you'll need an uncomfortable (upwards) wrist position to operate anything of non-negligible height.

Interestingly enough, while my desk's front edge makes a decent left forearm rest (left hand mainly residing on the Model M), this doesn't work nearly as well for my right hand.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2009, 04:32:27 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 10:37:20 »
While not for lefties, I found that the MS Natural 6000 mouse has the best ergonomics of any of the mice I have tried.  It keeps your hand low and tilted so you use the natural flexing of the wrist for right and left movements instead of the side-to-side motion.

Offline wumpyr

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 February 2009, 02:13:03 »
Just an update to my mini-review.  I've become more accustomed over the last week with the evoluent VM2.  Most of my strain has gone away and I've become more efficient with the buttons as well.  Thanks for the pointer to this product.  I'm a happy camper :)  I'll be looking at getting a right hand version as well in the near future.
IBM Model M 52G9658 \'93